Telling your partner about past sexual assault

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)
  1. NGRIA Bassett profile image59
    NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years ago

It must be difficult to trust someone sexually after a sexual assault, when and how would you disclose this information?

1. profile image0
      Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

being on the receiving end of this confession i would advise against it on the first date or for awhile at least.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you are at the point of getting sexually involved with that person, because it's going to affect how that goes, so it's important to make them aware of it upfront.

3. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no "time" as such. I think a situation will naturally create itself, whereby the info would then have to be disclosed or it would encourage the person to talk about it.

4. DARICANMAMI profile image61
      DARICANMAMIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been there and I will tell you this the trust is number one with this I didnt say anything for a few months after falling in love.  It is not something you talk about on your first date nor is it something that you hold in forever.  But when you love some one and they are in your life and you feel like you can trust them with your life then you tell them. Many worry about what the other would think or say but if that person loves you it will not change anything but only make your relationship stronger.

5. advisor4qb profile image75
      advisor4qbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been assaulted before, and I don't think it is always a necessity to disclose this information unless it will affect your sexual performance or if it resulted in a child or sexually transmitted disease.

I agree with second review's opinion as well.

6. profile image49
      lindsay champagneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can't sit around and wait for the "right" time because it will never come. Wait until you are in a strong relationship and you feel comfortable but don't feel obligated to divulge that information to just anyone. Take things slow and pace yourself and see how things go. If you aren't already, perhaps think about joining a support group or try counselling sessions. They can help you to feel like your not alone and give you some good tips and conversation starters for when you are ready to tell people about it. Speaking from experience, once you find the right person who loves you unconditionally and you tell them it feels like a big weight has been lifted off your shoulders and you become that much closer.

2. lizy625 profile image60
    lizy625posted 14 years ago

This is one of those_OMG_questions. I haven't ever been assaulted, but I have been hurt. I equate telling the hurt-when you are comfortable first in your own skin, and then in the new relationship. I assume trust to be a major obstacle, but when the times comes to open up all those feelings, it comes.Maybe years, days, maybe never. My heart goes out to any/all the ones that have been hurt-physically and/or emotionally.

3. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

When you've developed a strong relationship and trust them. Its hard to disclose personal information to someone you don't trust.

4. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think you should tell when you feel safe in the relationship and trust your boyfriend.  But I guess that's a pretty generic thing to say..

5. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

I think a person should only tell if it helps them heal.  I don't think anyone should know about it unless it helps you deal with the tragedy.

6. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

WOW, thats a tough question.  I guess it depends on the person who has been assaulted.  If the experience defines your life or your sex life, you have to tell the person prior to begining a sexual relationship.

7. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

For me, I learned that just getting it out there as soon as things looked like they were getting serious was best. If the guy is going to handle it badly and take it out on you, better to know that straight up so you can move on. It also gives him a chance to bail if he can't handle it.

8. Starbaby profile image60
    Starbabyposted 14 years ago

For me, i spent a long time talking and getting to know my current partner before we ever actually started "dating".  So my partner knew ahead of time about my previous rape.  He was very understanding and let me decide how fast things went with us. 

Every situation is different, but my advice would be to sit the person down and have a serious talk.  Let them know what happened to you, how that event makes you feel today, and how you would like to proceed in the relationship.  Personally, if the guy gets mad or wants sex right away then it probably wasn't going to be a lasting relationship anyways.

9. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I'm so,so sorry. This makes me cry. May God bless you and lift your load so you can heal. I'm so sorry.

10. Moonchild60 profile image76
    Moonchild60posted 14 years ago

I have to agree with the other ladies.  For me it was once I was in a relationship with that person and trusted them, I could tell them.  I had no problem with discussing it or answering questions as I had worked it all out in therapy.  So, absolutely once it is clear that you are in a relationship with this person and it has become more than just dating, you should tell them.

11. xxMaritzaMxx profile image59
    xxMaritzaMxxposted 14 years ago

I have been assaulted and from experience, I know that trust is a huge issue. You need to trust in your self in order to trust anyone else. I met someone after and I pushed him away but soon realized that this is no way to live life. I ended up beginning to trust him little by little. I trusted him as each thing he did made me smile. When it came to that point where I felt comfortable around him, more than anyone else, I told him what happened and I knew that the bond between us grew. When you have to tell that special someone, you'll know by the way you feel that its time to tell. Trust me..

12. secondreview profile image60
    secondreviewposted 14 years ago

I would advise against these type of discussions unless you think it would really add value to your relationship.   It could however have an effect on how your partner behaves towards you and not necessarily a positive one.   Do you want your partner to see you as a victim? Do you want them to adjust their behavior to you (or mask their character) because you've had a bad experience?   Are they to be burdened with earning your trust that may never come?  Do you want them to explain away your own behaviour with this issue?

There's a lot to think about.

13. Brian Leighton profile image56
    Brian Leightonposted 14 years ago

Once you both start opening up to one another, then the sooner the better you tell them. If they care about you they will understand the harrowing ordeal you must have endured in the past when this happened. If they do not understand then you are better off not knowing them and try to move on with your life.

14. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

This is so weird to me, I never met anyone who claimed to have never been assaulted until I was 34 years old! I thought it was all part of being female and wouldn't consider it as something to find an appropriate time to disclose, it was just how life is. Guess it wasn't good to grow up between DC and Baltimore.

I'll add that I didn't know it was almost as bad for boys and young men until I was a lot older either.

15. profile image52
    shellulaterposted 14 years ago

Ahh! This situation happened to me last night sad My boyfriend asked me if I had ever been assaulted (this was over the phone because I recently moved out of town for school). I was so completely stunned and incredibly frazzled, i just started to cry to myself and not know what to say. I did tell him the truth though,eventually, as hard as it was. I really shook me up because so many of the glimpses I have from it, I could see all over again.
    I woke up this morning in the most awkward mood. Even though we had settled the phone call on a better note, I ended up having the craziest dream last night. I dreamt that my boyfriend suddenly hated me and was taking my calls for day.. it was terrible! He called me in the morning like he always does to wish a good day and I was asking him if he still loved me! not that I even think he dosent! idk what happened, the dream was so power and intense, it ruined my morning sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)