If you're a liberal, ask yourself, why?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Look around at the company you keep their a mess! They want "Waldens Pond" even though it's been proven it will never work! It's not fair that the less motivated recieve the same rewards as those who have earned success. If you've learned anything about basic survival get off your ass and quit whining and get to work!

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some of us liberals are too busy to watch Walden's Pond (assuming it's some idiot TV program). Perhaps you could give us an outline. You seem to have time on your hands.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wasn't that that show where everybody had double names and it took a hundred years to say goodnight to each other?

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
          AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I think it's the one with Henry Fonda

1. Mitch Rapp profile image60
            Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Peter Fonda certainly is a liberal or at least he used to be.

2. Mitch Rapp profile image60

Some conservatives want to know as well.

2. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a liberal because I don't like lies, deceit, and selfishness (though there are some in the movement that are).

3. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you have to ask this question why bother.  You have prejudged and categorized a group of people by identifying them as outside your realm of thinking and discarded their value based on it.

You have totally played into the political design of the two parties by polarizing your and others views and therefore eliminating any compromise. 

I try to think of myself as a centerist but many shoot that down because they have lost the ability or will to understand the others point or opinion.  By doing so you have become a tool of the system and invariably will be in the way instead of helping the situation.

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

...and your little dog too! big_smile

http://protoplasm.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/wicked-witch.jpg

3. Mitch Rapp profile image60
    Mitch Rappposted 14 years ago

What is Waldens pond?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A book by Thoreau one of my favorites. Also a beautiful pond in Massachusetts good book and great pond. 
      Wait a minute I am not a liberal.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

*looks at the pond* It's not working? Huh.

5. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

Adsensestrategies, why are you a liberal?

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

With all the self proclaimed intellectuals here and you don't know about "Waldens Pond"! Shame on you! Heres a clue, it's not a tv show!

I know! I know!

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

Sigh. Pretending not to know what something is, is not the same as not knowing what something is... you of ALL forum posters should know this! hmm

I still win though right?

7. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Hey I am not an intoolectual either.

8. profile image0

i know about Walden's Pond. i just don't know how that applies to so-called liberals. don't conservatives appreciate nature too?

9. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

One of the saddest interviews I read was when David Mamet said he could no longer think of himself as a liberal because he could no longer believe that people were basically good. He had reached a point where he believed people were liers, cheats, malicious at heart and needed to treated as dangerous.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-03-11/ … d-liberal/

Liberals idea of compassion or "good" is creating a dependent class, I can't see someone never advancing in life as "good"

2. TheGlassSpider profile image65
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow. That is disheartening. Made me a little sad to read that post.

What's worse is that tiny little whisper deep in my heart almost agrees.

*Screams* "Fight the sadness Artex!! Noooooo"

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are still communites that instill believe in virtues like unselfisness,empathy with the less privileged, respect for others,loyalty to ideals but it is an uphill struggle in an atmosphere of consumerism and greed.

And of course, right wing philosophers promote a view of people as isolated creatures simply trying to get the most that they can from others(game theory etc). To me they are promoting the infant in people- the me me me! As we become more infantile and more isolated sadly we also become more unhappy and more like the creatures David Mamet fears..

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Game theory has been popping up a lot in discussions lately.  It may be a sign of the appocolypse. wink

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

But aren't there two sorts of "right wing." There is another sort, which promotes loyalty to one's community, thrift, industry, decency and respect. Unfortunately, right-wingers who promote this sort of Consevatism have been steam-rollered by others... those who prefer to see corporations prosper over small business and entrepreneurship, for example...

...It's a hijack

3. TheGlassSpider profile image65
          TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well. I for one vow to hold onto the light as long as I can. And my will is great. smile Are you with me! *roars!* Empathy! Love!

10. profile image0

what do you call it when someone thinks there's good and bad in everyone? that's me.

The duality of life. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mhmm.

of course some people have more bad (or good) in them than others also.

You eliminate the negative through positive action. Going to the gym, gardening etc...or the opposite conmen, predators

2. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A realist. All but the political fringes believe the same as you.

11. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 14 years ago

It's Walden Pond. Just had to say that as a girl from Massachusetts. Carry on...

big_smile

That's where Doonsebury lived right?

12. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

I think Mamet slipped from one tribal delusion to another. We aren't obliged to do the same. People are as good as circumstances allow them to be. As societies we need to create the opportunities for individuals to live they can be proud of. Conservative values have a place in that. Right wing hate really doesn't help. Silly sentimental liberals don't help either- though they make far better company.

If you like whining!

2. livelonger profile image87

Yes. He's still purging his self-hatred demons (by swinging to the other extreme).

13. profile image0

are those the people with guns who dip snuff and whatnot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p51Ic7kgpA

1. livelonger profile image87

That's certainly one (unfortunate) variety. hmm (Not that the snuff-dipping is to blame...)

14. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Might as well ask conservatives to ask themselves why while you're at it. Liberalism and Conservatism are both to blame for a lot of problems, and even if that weren't the case, it's simply a good thing for everyone to question their own views.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

Amen

15. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Compassionate Conservatism at its best.

You truly know nothing about being a liberal.

16. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

If it's in America, mostly it is all good. Politically speaking. It is the American way. Sure, we have our problems and disagreements, but that is democracy my man. It works.

Amazingly, that is still true.  To hear some talk you would think we were on the verge of anihilation.

17. profile image0

Ach, well, people tend to get carried away ya know? I have seen a lot and have learned many things, but still America is alive and well, 'cept for our debts. We will get  out of this mess too.

But how much will it cost us?

18. profile image0

It doesn't really matter compared to what the 'greatest' generation went through. I suppose it will be an enormous amount, but look what they did. We can rise above this too.

You got a point

19. profile image0

My god, if one looks at our history, back in the 19th century there was so much corruption in DC. It was cleaned up and then TR had to do some house cleaning as well. Things seem to come in cycles. This too shall pass. Let's give it time and support our leaders that we have until it is election time. I am a registered Rep., but don't know how I will vote from now on. I have changed in the last four years I tell you. God bless America again is all I can say.

I don't support people who are in direct opposition to what I believe, just not gonna happen!

20. profile image0

I love America. I love my wife. We are opposites in many ways, spiritually as well as politically. I support her 100%. Same with my adult children and so many friends, some who are politicians and judges that are Democrats.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)