Did you see this....Marry for money?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 16 years ago

http://dealbreaker.com/2007/10/that_cra … ne_pos.php

My wife and I have had a good time discussing.  I think it's OK to marry for money.

2. sminut13 profile image63
    sminut13posted 16 years ago

i think it's ok so long as both the couples are agreeable if not it's gonna be problematic.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

It may be OK for the woman to marry for money, but what does the man get in return? 

If he gets a gorgeous trophy wife - as the answer says, that doesn't last forever.  And the truth is, just because a woman has a gloriously sexy body doesn't mean she's good in bed.  In fact, sometimes the opposite is true - which is probably how those plain Janes hooked their millionaires wink   I don't know why that is:  maybe having a perfect body is a sign of being self-obsessed, and the self-obsessed never make good lovers! 

Actually, I suppose it could work in reverse - the toy boy marrying the rich widow.  Men don't lose their looks so quickly, so he might just outlast her....

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

What a ridiculously obvious statement. No category of people is always or never good at something. Though, I'm curious to know how many women with gloriously sexy bodies have you slept with, that you can state whether or not they might be good in bed.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 16 years ago

Marisa, you might be surprised how many people marry for money, without having a sexual relationship as a major part of the equation.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86

Relache, I guess I'm having trouble understanding what the other party gets out of the deal.  Sex seemed like a possibility - if not that, then what?

6. sminut13 profile image63

well if sex is not counted, then it might be cos of financial difficulties. the rich spouse might help out the poor one so long as the poor doesn't interfere with the rich's tendencies whatever they may be. there are many scenarios that we are unaware of or haven't encountered. so for me, as long as both parties are willing, then it's fine. of course if they want to seperate, it must be amicable too if not then there'd be problems of course.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I had forgotten about what used to be called "white marriages", where homosexuals marry for appearance's sake.  I suppose in some cultures, that kind of thing is (sadly) still necessary.   

I'm not saying that people shouldn't marry for money if they want, I'm just doubting whether it can really work out in the end.

7. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

I married my wife for her money,only to be dissapointed that she was in the same boat as I was, almost 12 years on we are still together and the hope is still there that she has a secret stash hidden somewhere! lol.
    On a serious note though, I personally don't think that I could live in a marriage of convenience,
    to me the love of a good woman is worth more than anything that money could buy, and a life without love to me would be a life not worth living.....jimmy

8. Marisa Wright profile image86

Aw, Jimmy, that's wonderful! 

I'm like you - I can understand people being tempted to marry for money, or perhaps even being forced into it by circumstances.  But I can't imagine it being anything but corrosive in the end, to settle for an emotionally barren relationship.  My dh may not have a million dollars, but his love is worth far more than mere money in the bank.

9. Earth Angel profile image60
    Earth Angelposted 16 years ago

As a Life Skills Coach I encounter all sorts of reasons people marry besides the "I love you more than life itself" and "I can't live without you" kinds!! Actually, very few have to do with the flowers and romance, although that is often what brings a couple together!! I often see/review the "soul mate" dance as a socially acceptable cover for much deeper issues!!

As long as both people entering a "union" are rigerously honest with each other about their motivations and intentions, there should be no unexpected conflicts later!! The problem arises when one or both do not know themselves well enough to participate in that level of honesty!!

"A person can not be more honest with another than they can be with themselves!!"

Not withstanding the above, I am a hopeless romantic!! But I have done enough work on myself over the years to know where it comes from!! The Cinderella Complex is an unrealistic framework for a successful longterm relationship!!

Marrying for money never made any sense to me!! (It might have been different if I had wanted children and be a stay-at-home mom!!) As a woman, the work load is HUGE whether inside the home or out!! I had a choice to spend my energy cooking, cleaning, entertaining, playing tennis and providing on-demand sex, OR, taking that same energy and putting it into becoming self-sufficient!! It's still work both ways!! Many times I thought the first choice would be more fun!! Alas, if things ever changed (and they always change) I would be in a better position by choosing the second!!

Blessings on all unions, successful and struggling!! Earth Angel!!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on the flowers and romance thing.  In fact I wrote a Hub about the often illusory nature of fairytale love.  For instance, my dh and I didn't have a big "spark" when we met - it was common interests and shared values that kept us seeing each other.  Love grew, and continues to grow.  We checked a Chinese horoscope for compatibility and it said we "fit together like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle", which really says it all.

2. sminut13 profile image63
      sminut13posted 16 years agoin reply to this

i agree too. we don know the reasons for marryin for money or convenience andpersonally, i too feel that we shd marry for love. but to each his/her own.

10. Marisa Wright profile image86

My, this thread is getting soppy.....

11. Earth Angel profile image60
    Earth Angelposted 16 years ago

I love soppy . . . Ahhhhhhh . . . Sometimes I would sooooooooooooooo love to replace my logic with rose petals, champagne and a smile at sunrise . . . even with bad breath . . . Soppy away . . . kiss your lover and tell them how much you appreciate them . . . . Love waning . . . Earth Angel . . .

12. rachel crane profile image59
    rachel craneposted 16 years ago

sometimes it can be okay but if they take advantage of your money then you are being played!

13. Marisa Wright profile image86

Isabella, I speak not from my own experience, but from conversations with men who have made the observation.  They have said to me that THEY tend to assume all sexy-looking women must be sexy by nature.  I can't imagine any woman making such a generalisation any more than you can!

14. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

You must know a goodly number of simple minded men.

I dont know anyone who would think something so daft.

15. Marisa Wright profile image86

Well, I was single for four years and went to a lot of singles' functions, so yes, I probably did meet my fair share of daft men.  There are a few around.

16. sminut13 profile image63

lol well men thinkin gorgeous women are good in bed is a natural assumption i would feel. grins. of course, executing wise, i don't know but thoughts and jus looking at them, i think anyone would feel that way. even for us, if we saw hunks, we would think that way too i feel. hehe though i'm more for personality wise.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)