Apparently I suck

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Falsor Wing profile image59
    Falsor Wingposted 14 years ago

I've heard on average people get 1 click for every hundred page views. I have 1 after nearly a thousand. Also once other hubbers stop looking over my hubs I get at most 1 view a day. I'm new so I expected I would be doing poorly but I've been trying to tag them well and set up backlinks and the other things suggested by all the helpful people and hubs out there so I didn't think I'd be doing THIS bad. Does anyone have any advice, I'm probably either just botching something basic everyone has told me a thousand time, or I'm a terrible writer?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, i have to agree with kcc here.  you just barely started so it's going to take a lot of time before you start drawing in a lot of traffic.  my advice is just keep writing hubs and participating in forums more.  i'm  sure you'll make it.   smile

2. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your CTR has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your writing.

The biggest two factors are topic and traffic.

Hubs with informational value that have complementary ads from AdSense alongside your content will drive CTR up. Magazine-like articles on topics of incidental interest will not get nearly as many clicks.

And, even more importantly, visitors from search engines are far more likely to click ads than "regular" visitors. Hubbers almost never click on ads because they only have a passing interest in the topic, and we're trained not to click on ads because of click-fraud fears.

And I'll echo what others have written: it's only been a week! It takes time to get search visitors. Patience and persistence will pay off, though.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's too soon.  It takes time for you to rank on the search engines. 8 days isn't enough time.  Patience!

4. Fiction Teller profile image59
      Fiction Tellerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Falsor Wing,

Your writing isn't terrible at all.  It's just that revenue share earnings are usually low on entertainment-based writing.  Nobody's quite figured out how to monetize fiction, comedy, opinion pieces and news on the Web.  It's just a matter of time, hopefully.  In the meantime, product-based articles are more likely to earn.

In other words, people sit down to their computers thinking, "Hmmm, I need a new awning,"  not, "Man, I've had a rough day, I could sure use some funny."  Okay, well, they do read funny things, but not when they're in a buying mood. 

The advertisers target visitors in a buying mood.   Awning makers know that they can sell awnings on pages that mention them to visitors who got there via organic searches rather than social networking.  Places like Facebook and Twitter will drive traffic to your page...but idly bored traffic, not search traffic.  Besides, look at the adverts on your page.  If they're not tasty to your reader, he's not going to click or buy.

Humor is one of the hardest things to monetize online.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't write it.  It's just that you'll have to be very creative in your slant if you want to earn on humor articles via revenue share.

1. Falsor Wing profile image59
        Falsor Wingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damnit how come none of my skills and interests are economically viable. *grumbles*

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Too early to suck.

You've only been here just over a week.  Time, it takes time.  Consider writing about a variety of topics. Some of my best hubs are on topics that really aren't my "norm", but I decided to try different things. Don't worry too much about the clicks just yet.  It'll come in due time.

3. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

So the majority of your views up until now have been fellow hubbers.

Hence the lack of clicking.

There's plenty of advice in the forum and hubs about how to target outside traffic. Quality traffic. Search Engine traffic.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I posted this thread earlier today. smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/40181

5. Falsor Wing profile image59
    Falsor Wingposted 14 years ago

Thanks all I just saw that I had 4 views in 24 hours and shat myself a little. I'm calm again.

6. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

Let me, if I may, say a couple things here.

Being a writer doesn't make one money.  If it was that simple, everyone who has ever penned a few well thought out verses would be raking in the cash.  It just doesn't happen like that.  In order for a writer to make money, they must be able to market what they write.  Hubpages is great, but you can't rely only on Hubpages to bring you in money - you have to do the work to promote your article as well.

So, you've set up backlinks.  Great.  Now what are those backlinks bringing you?  You'll get a short jump in visits, but then it'll drop off.  Backlinks are good to get you out there, but they aren't a sure-fire way to get noticed.

So, some advice:

1.) Learn all about SEO.  Don't know what that is? Look it up - there's a thousand pages all about it.

2.) Research your keywords - especially paying keywords.  Target those keywords towards a specific niche.  If you write an article on dating, well, there's a million of those already out there.  But, if you write an article on different types of framing joists, and then gear it towards the novice builder, you'll have much better luck. 

3.) Research your keywords again.  I can't stress this enough.  You want to find the highest paying keywords for your article - but you want to avoid the ones that are plastered all over the web. Hint: Start using firefox, and download SEOQuake.  Play around with the program - it takes a little tweaking to get it to work right - and that'll give you 90% of what you need to know about keywords.

4.) AFTER you've wrote your article, and after you've researched your keywords, THEN slap in some backlinks.  Another Hint: Download the google toolbar, and use the "share" feature. 

and finally, 5.) Edit, edit, edit.  You're a writer, you know that this is 90% of the writers job.  I'll go back once a week and tweak my articles in order to provide the best hits on Google, as well as retain high paying keywords.

My friend, just give it time.. Keep plugging away and learning all you can about SEO - you'll get it.

Bro, I wish ya the best..

7. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Don't worry. Just keep writing a lot and the clicks will come.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)