paper vs computer

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Falsor Wing profile image61
    Falsor Wingposted 14 years ago

I find I brainstorm more effectively with a pen and paper than on the computer does this happen to anyone else? Does it make sense to anyone?

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

this happens to me mostly in the hours that I sleep and wake up with an idea...otherwise it is computer when I am awake

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I take my initial notes on paper, I find it easier to gather my thoughts that way. That way I also put it in my own words and lessen the risk that I will accidentally plagiarize.

3. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You write???
      As in......longhand?
      how last century! I've totally forgotten how to. Can you teach me?

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't.
      Not during brainstorming.
      But I always prefer a hard copy of anything over a virtual copy.
      I think it's sad that newspapers are going under.  Accountability goes out the window with all the new technology cyber-action.

5. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Computer - much easier to keep track of notes and it's readable to others.

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

makes sense to me, I love to get real letters in the mail too.  smile

3. FranyaBlue profile image73
    FranyaBlueposted 14 years ago

I do like paper and pen but I find that my hand can't keep up with my thoughts and then my writing is totally unreadable.

4. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 14 years ago

It depends what I'm doing.  If it's writing an article, I stick with the computer.  It's way easier to cut and paste than using an eraser all the time. 

If it's more graphic, or I'm designing something, then a quick sketch with pencil and paper is the way to go.  Or if I need to make a quick note that I can take with me somewhere.

It also depends what software you have at hand, and whether that enhances or detracts from the creative process.

Besides, I like to save paper as much as I can.  I don't print anything unless I really need to take a copy with me.

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

plus, I hate typing

6. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

It happens a lot.  I personally am happier on the keyboard but many of my writing friends and associates insist that writing by hand focuses them, slows them to the right pace, and is essential to their writing process.

Whatever works is the way to go.

7. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I am totally addicted to Excel; use it for everything -including notes. big_smile Once you start realizing its potential, there is no going back! Pen and paper can't sort your ideas in one click. wink

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to see a hub on how you organize using Excel smile

8. lender3212000 profile image58
    lender3212000posted 14 years ago

I'm much better at organizing my thoughts on the computer. My handwriting isn't very good either...

9. William R. Wilson profile image59
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

I can't write by hand, only scribble notes.  My brain works to fast for the pen to keep up. 

I prefer to write in notepad.  Hubpages makes me mad because I can't write out the html and just paste it in like I can with my wordpress blog. 

I too use Excel for organizing my thought sometimes.  I also like to use mindmaps although I usually don't have the patience. 

Mostly what I do is write a sort of outline:

1. Main idea
    a. smaller idea
    b. second smaller idea

blah blah blah. 

I've tried typing on an old fashioned manual typewriter.  I found it fascinating how my brain had to work in a totally different way with no cut and paste and no backspace. 

More to the point of the original post - Falsor, if you organize well by pen and paper you might try mind mapping.

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How does one use Excel for organizing thoughts?

2. Falsor Wing profile image61
      Falsor Wingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

MIND MAPPING IS THE SHIT! freeplane ftw. I'm actually working on a hub(s) about mindmapping software, why doesn't everyone have it?

10. The10DollarMark profile image61
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

You mean I can't pick a stone tablet? yikes

Kidding aside, I choose neither. I usually brainstorm in my head and then I go directly to the computer to write it.

I do also use excel to keep track of topics that I may use for hubbing, but thinking of the actual content for that hub is still all in my head.

Sometimes, very rarely, I'll actually jot down ideas and chances are it'd be on paper, though if I'm lazy notepad would be my next choice.

11. lilly_dens profile image39
    lilly_densposted 14 years ago

computer is much easier than paper since all you have to do is type it right away while paper sort of takes time BUT i prefer to use paper than computer since it gives me more ideas on what to write. Once i start writing on paper and have lots of ideas at the end of it i found out that i've already written quite enough

12. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

paper when I'm on the go, computer when I'm home.
    paper if it's temporary, computer if I need it to keep.
    paper for others to see, computer for my eyes only.
    paper for private, computer for virtual exchange.

it all depends on my mood & whatever it is I'm writing. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)