Why women prostitute

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (72 posts)
  1. winter11 profile image58
    winter11posted 14 years ago

Lately I have been researching why women prostitute their bodies.  I have seen women do things to their bodies that are painful and dangerous and unless they are being forced into it I wonder why they would do this to themselves?  Yes i understand money, drug habits all play in this at times, but don't these women know that once the man releases himself he can turn off the computer or tv and go to bed not hurt and the woman at the end of the night is sore, torn apart or worse.  I don't understand what goes into their minds to say okay to this?  I wish more woman would respect their bodies, its different if thats your sexual fetish and you like it then I guess thats your choice but I just can't understand this type of choice i guess.

1. sandra's blogg profile image53
      sandra's bloggposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, i have known alot of cases where women actually do alot of degrating things for their next high. I think that drugs and desesperation lead people to do horrible things, I dont understand why this happens but wish that women change their life around for the sake of their health and their minds. Sadly drugs can make a person forget about their families and the people who really care.

2. profile image0
      JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe a little research into addictions would help you out.

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My only input is until you have lived their lives/past it is impossible to understand who and why they are what they are today.  I worked for years with both male and female prostitutes, trying to get them off the streets, but it is often all they know, best I could do was bring food to their post and blankets for when they had a chance to sleep.

Not sure if that helps

Kimberly

4. RachaelLefler profile image92
      RachaelLeflerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What if it's not wrong? What if it could be a positive thing, using the skills you're just plain good at to make a lot of money. The main problem is not women who choose prostitution, but the pimps and pushers who force them into it, use them as slaves, take their wages, and abuse them. In the United States women are rarely forced into it, but in many other places it is common for a human trafficker to pay a girl's parents a sum of money, tell the parents and the girl that they're taking her overseas to work as a maid or something like that, and they force her to work in a brothel in a big city where she doesn't speak the language and is kept in a condition of sexual slavery. I think there's a big difference between this and a woman in the U.S.who chooses to be a call girl on the internet or post pictures or who makes videos of herself performing sex acts for money. One case is clearly exploitation, which is wrong, the other is, if anything, a case of a woman exploiting the market which happens to be full of horny males with internet access. I think prostitution should actually be legalized, and that everything should be done to make sure that prostitutes who feel their rights are compromised or that they were abused or attacked can get legal help. Right now, they are afraid to go to the police if they get beaten or abused or raped because prostitution is illegal and highly stigmatized. I think it's a legitimate profession like any other and could be treated as such in the future.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh sure, legalize it and put the government's seal of approval on dehumanizing women (and men). What if it's not wrong? It IS wrong.

1. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is only your opinion that it dehumanises - and the issue of it being wrong or right becomes almost a side consideration.  It will happen wherever there are people, shouting very loudly and standing on soap boxes telling people how to live their lives will definately not stop it.

To deal with it requires a level of legalization to protect the workers and the customers, prevent forced prostitution and stop the use of minors, drug addicts, and the mentally impaired - by the right wing business men who run the current undercover businesses with the collusion of corrupt officials.

"It is only your opinion that it dehumanises"

And with that statement YOU have become an accessory to every act of violence and objectification against women in this world. And I'll bet you consider yourself quite the friend of women's interests, don't you? Well, you're not.

That would be your wild summation I suppose.  Wake up, it IS happening everywhere - what they need is protection not useless mouthing and moralising !

Keep an eye on the news. I hope you can live with what you are now culpable for. But, I guess adhering to the liberal dogma is more important than people's lives...

It is moralising without thinking that creates problems, applying some subjective moral bigotry to the lives of others - then condemning them because they do not follow 'your' rules.  I am only culpable of suggesting a more useful course of action instead.

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you to sleep at night knowing what you have made yourself a party to.

2. profile image0
        JacksBlogsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with most of what you said but you are singing the same sensational story that the media uses to make this issue a big deal.  It isn't .  Most of the bad things you see about trafficking are simply matters for normal police actions.  The vast majority of prostitution is of very happy young women doing what they of their own volition.  See my HUB - My Bangkok Post to find it.  It is different than all this "do-gooder" BS you see here.

5. Pollyannalana profile image61
      Pollyannalanaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think women and so many of them acting this way is why rape charges are so lenient on the horrible rapists...and it seems to pass right on down to children.

6. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This isn't Never never land.....

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I think a lot of the blame for prostitution should be on men. Their lack of leadership and respect for women makes the sex trade money. It is sad to see one group prey on another but, in this case taking one human being using them for sexual pleasure only to disguard them. This activity is very Sad.sad

1. Ladybird33 profile image66
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here Here!!! I agree, very sad indeed.

2. Ohma profile image59
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree sneak men are equally to blame for this being such a wide spread problem but not solely.

3. Obscure Divine profile image60
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

Whatever floats your boat; whatever pays the bills, and whatever you think it takes.  Praise be prostitution in its own tax-free right!  Yikes!  tongue

1. profile image0

Love your attitude. Most of these people are singing the same sensational story that the media uses to make this issue a big deal.  It isn't .  Most of the bad things you see about trafficking are simply matters for normal police actions.  The vast majority of prostitution is by very happy young women doing what they do their own volition.  See my HUB - My Bangkok Post to find it.  It is different than all this "do-gooder" BS you see here.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

what are you saying...can you clarify?  "The vast majority of prostitution is by very happy young women doing what they do their own volition."

4. Beth100 profile image67
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Women are not the only gender who prostitute themselves.  Males do too and transgenders as well.  The question is two fold.  The first you have asked, why do people do this.  The second is, why is there a demand for this. 

Both stem from emotional, psychological and physical trauma/troubles.  Sneaks is correct too with the predator/prey relationship.

Dig a little deeper, and research the very fabric of society.  It's values, morals, ethics and, most importantly, what is being done to help those in need.  It's not just an individualistic problem, its a societal problem.

1. blondepoet profile image69
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So right Beth and it is not just about drugs too. I know working women here, it is a fairly small town, who are using their body to get where they want university, children's school fees (single mums), etc.
      The thing is we can't point the finger solely at women, as someone else mentioned before, without men who are willing to pay for it, there would not be such a demand for it.
      It is a two way street.

2. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Outstanding post Beth! You are so right!smile

1. Beth100 profile image67
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aw, thanks Sneak!  smile

@ BP -- I've seen this happen too.  In fact, I've been propositioned by men (especially in higher positions, er, um, executives....) to give gratuitous sex (in whatever form they deem they want it as) in exchange for climbing up the corporate ladder or shares in the company. 

Demoralized humans come from all walks of life, cross cultures and knows no class structure.  If we look into how society integrates its values with education, society is failing miserably. 

We don't have to look far away from our doorstep to see how easily abandoned chidlren, husbands or wives turn to instant gratification of feeling wanted/needed/loved.  Without the basics of human touch, love and need, a person will do anything to gain these basic needs.

5. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

We all prostitute ourselves in one fashion or another.  Pro athletes prostitute their athletic talent for money.  Scientists prostitute their minds for money.  Many prostitute their time for money.  We denigrate those that sell sex for money, but both men and women pay for it all the time in one fashion or another.  It's just a matter of semantics and perspective. As long as a person makes a free will choice, it is not our place to judge them. Our choices should be our own to make and the responsibility for the consequences of our choices should be our own as well.

............... roll  X 1000

6. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

There are many different reasons why a woman might prostitute her body. Many of them find nothing degrading about it. I agree with logiccommonsense that in truth we all sell what we can. If a woman feels her body is her best commodity, then that's her business.

It might help if people would just admit that we are animals too, very very sexual animals. Denying our nature is silly and pointless. No that doesn't give someone the right or the excuse to sexually assault someone else, but at the same time all this oh those shameless women and oh those rotten men who get off on them doesn't get us anywhere.

Frankly our society is far too ashamed of sexuality still. Our sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of, and it ought to be celebrated and accepted for what it is without all this dismay over what it is. It is after all a life giving force, and not just in a reproductive sense.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more, with both you and Logic.

I think in general people either want somebody to feel sorry for, or better than, and prostitutes fill both needs perfectly.  And this is magnified ten-fold in those countries that see sex as being a 'bad' thing and something to be ashamed of.

7. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

The liberal inclination to relativize everything is particularly dangerous in this case. The 'choice' of becoming a prostitute is damaging and degrading to women everywhere on many levels, in addition to being particularly dangerous and dehumanizing to the individual woman in question.

1. profile image0

unfortunately their lives at some point taught them this  is their worth, and tough as nails to change her/his mind,  I keep trying

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's wrong with taking pride in your ability to give pleasure to another human being?

I'm not naive to the ugliness of the reality of the situation, but I tend to think the situation would be much better if we looked at it from a pragmatic viewpoint and legalized it.

And my question stands, what is wrong with taking pride in -and monetary gain by- your ability to give someone else pleasure?

"What's wrong with taking pride in your ability to give pleasure to another human being? "

It's not giving pleasure, it is giving the fleeing illusion of pleasure and in the process robbing at least two people of their humanity.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
            Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How the heck does having sexual relations rob you of your humanity?

This is exactly what I meant when I referred to the liberal impulse to relativize everything.

1. RachaelLefler profile image92
                RachaelLeflerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But everything is relative, to say otherwise is to simply impose a judgement onto reality that does not exactly gel with the way things really are. I don't like the conservative impulse to dichotomize things that are not either black or white.

"But everything is relative, to say otherwise is to simply impose a judgement "

There you go folks...  roll

2. profile image0

I think there is nothing wrong with anyone feeling proud about their job, unfortunately the pimps tamper that with the beatings, demands sex with excessive fore when not wanted, being at his beck and call... ya ya ya

I was in Malibu with Heidi Fl (rehab go figure)  SHE HAD THE BEST CLIENTS AND BEST WOMWN WORKERS BECAuse she herself was a woman, a scary woman but now back in rehab and hoping she'll do her the best

Pride may not be the right word, maybe to stir debate, but acceptance may be better said.

Cheers

Kimberly

sleep tight!  off to snooze

1. profile image0
            wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad I wasn't in rehab with you because you're breaking AA's cardinal rule here.  That's why it's an anonymous program, Lyrics.  Please don't disclose any more information about people in the program.  It makes us all feel our anonymity is threatened.  Thank you.

1. profile image0

Thank you for reminding me of our membership traditions, but I was given full permission from her to use her name when referencing any part of the program as I was many others.  Know why?  Cause they hope their fame may influence someone to get help.  We are no different.  I have no problem with someone breaking my anonymity for this disease.  I am not unique, business I feel is different but it's the minority that don't accept this.

The program, as you well know is based on the concept of anonymity.  For those who chose it.

I have been in those rooms much longer than most and run a good program, nor would I break someone's anonymity.  It was the celebrities that encouraged us to break theirs.  That speaks volumes to be about step 12 and giving back what we have.

Thank you kindly wordscribe, I surely should have made this point clear so people didn't think I was outing someone.

btw she is currently on celebrity rehab 3 x a day and doing well.  I am sure many know she is in rehab and has been very vocal about it,like others I was fortunate to befriend.
              Thank you for your concern, much appreciated.

3. profile image0

If more Americans got out in the world they would discover that even the ugliness of prostitution you spoke of isn't ugly at all. See my HUB - My Bangkok Post to find it.  It is different than all this "do-gooder" BS you see here. All you see are people singing the same sensational story that the media uses to make this issue a big deal.  It isn't .  Most of the bad things you see about trafficking are simply matters for normal police actions.  The vast majority of prostitution is by very happy young women doing what they do their own volition. I don't feel comfortable being the anti-anti-trafficking HUB writer, but someone who is out here seeing real prostitution needs to speak up about the incredible exaggeration surrounding this issue.

2. Sab Oh profile image56

All you can do is not stop trying.

8. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i had cocktails with Bullwinkle J. Moose one time. he was very amiable winkbig_smile

9. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I live next door to Lionel from the Jefferson's.  He comes over for tea, occasionally.  Nice fellow.  Drinks quite a bit of tea, however. wink

10. JON EWALL profile image60
    JON EWALLposted 14 years ago

HUBBERS

Welcome to the real world of today, yesterday and the future.

Simply stated,where has the moral standards of society gone?

Lord, do not forsake us, show us the way.

1. profile image0

The world has changed less than you think.  The media has change a lot.  If more Americans got out in the world they would discover that even the ugliness of prostitution isn't ugly at all. See my HUB - My Bangkok Post to find it.  It is different than all this "do-gooder" BS you see here. All you see are people singing the same sensational story that the media uses to make this issue a big deal.  It isn't .  Most of the bad things you see about trafficking are simply matters for normal police actions.  The vast majority of prostitution is by very happy young women doing what they do their own volition. I don't feel comfortable being the anti-anti-trafficking HUB writer, but someone who is out here seeing real prostitution needs to speak up about the incredible exaggeration surrounding this issue.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...i'll try again...

what are you saying...can you clarify?  "The vast majority of prostitution is by very happy young women doing what they do their own volition."

11. soni2006 profile image75
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

Some women do it due to financial reasons and some due to many other factors.

12. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 14 years ago

well money does seems primary factor in most cases but there are other reasons too...

13. salt profile image61
    saltposted 14 years ago

Im unsure of what I think of prostitution for women, who already have an income or roof over their head and freely choose to be a sex worker.

For young women or those forced into it, or there due to economic need or lack of education or opportunity, that is a different matter.

When you see girls so thin from drugs - selling themselves on the streets to pay for their habit, you wonder what type of men would take advantage of anyone in that situation? Not that Id like to meet those type of men.

We live near a red light district and I have thought of a photo exhibition where you blow up large photos on those large outdoor exhibition canvas type things, with the title, Men in Cars in Grey Street.

I have also thought about a corner, near the town hall where some women have been known to work. If someone started a fruit stand or something like a pie cart, made it an iconic place to stop, maybe employ one or two people with social problems and create something wonderful.

Sometimes the welfare cycle creates it own underclass, not working to free people of their situation, but accepting them there and almost keeping them there.

I would love to get a sponsor to get a big truck off supermarket groceries and basic clothing and take it to an area where people are not coping and really fill their fridges, a good set of clean clothes and shoes, a dental day and see if it made a difference, just for one or two.

For many on a low income, survival is difficult, a difficult life experience or a life moment could be the difference between living from this week to the next. One extra trauma...

If your educated and on a low income, you still have to work it out, if your not educated and on a low income, you have to learn to survive. Many people on high incomes would find it difficult too, an extra $50 fine when stressed on a low income, could be the difference between food or no food in the fridge... on a higher income it doesnt even get noticed.

So why do women end up in prostitution, one girl I know was 14 and on heroine. Another, 17 and then meets the wrong man. The pull of an area, once someone is mixed up in these things can make it more challenging to get out of a situation. For if you dont know any different, how do you know how to get out of it.

I watched a woman at a job center once, she couldnt spell or type, but when her mobile rang, she knew all types of lingerie that I had no idea about, which I am happy to say.

I dont think its a glamour job and I dont think it does any females psychi any good. As for men who pay for sex.. well, maybe we havent taught men to respect their own sexuality and maybe all the sex on tv tells everyone that they should be humping like rabbits so many times a week.. well, maybe thats not how life is for many... maybe we are creating a world that is not attainable to all.

Then, you add the sex industry in, advertising, places you wouldnt wish your daughter to be in... etc... the use of sexual energy to up and down the collective unconscious... ... I want a nice little place to curl up in right now, because it upsets me to think about things like that.

I often get odd vibes here, like the industry vibe wanting to expand and this morning, even when cleaning my teeth was consciously thinking of things other than prostitution that women can choose......I dont think its a life for any female or male for that matter. And in tune with this, I was thinking about how do you create a healthy future for your children, as a society? Economic growth is not always good, some industries need not be developing. Maybe sex education should also be about the psychi and what is sexuality really about.

14. salt profile image61
    saltposted 14 years ago

because men  think they are pharohs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)