My first experience with an Exclusive has been a positive one...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Paul Maplesden profile image75
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

Since I passed the Exclusive threshold Hubber score of 80 recently, I thought I'd try my hand at creating an Exclusive.

Searching around, I typed 'Google' into the 'Exclusive' naming box and got the suggestion - How To Send a Private Message in Google+.

I've been working on the hub on and off for the past few days, submitted in yesterday and it got featured today. It got featured around 8 hours ago so I decided to do some promotion in Google+.

The result: Nearly 200 visits, 57 Google +1s and 20 shares over the last few hours. In fact, for the last seven days, this hub is now my second most popular, despite only having been live for less than half a day!

The message is clearly that exclusives really are worth it, and I would definitely recommend them to people that haven't tried them yet, it seems like a great way to get traffic, so long as you can promote them well.

Thanks HubPages! Exclusives are a great idea.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7655450_f248.jpg

As far as I can see, you have 8 shares and 11 plusses.
      What am I mising?

Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I posted it in several different communities and it was reshared onwards from the original post. The 57/20 is the cumulative total.

1. profile image0

Which communities would those be, because they certainly don't show up in a search. Just like to check these things out for myself.

Sophia, you had a problem with me posting about stuff before and questioning what I was saying, I don't know why.

I have no idea why you have a problem 'believing' me and needing to check things out, after all what possible reason do I have to not tell the truth?

My purpose for posting about my experiences is to help others and that is all; I hope that my contributions to HubPages are positive.

It is of course up to you if you believe me or not, but if you think I am going to provide chapter and verse 'proving' what I am doing to you, I am afraid you are mistaken.

That is all.

1. profile image0

Just saying. I did quite a thorough search and couldn't find all of them - only the one with all the figures I mentioned...

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
              MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you are happy with what you are doing keep doing it.  I congratulate you on your happiness.

I learned a long time ago that anything I did was going to irritate someone.  Then I asked myself if I cared.  Since my answer was no I just ignored the people who I irritated.

After all if they choose to raise their own blood pressure and make their own life more unpleasant by being irritated then that's really on them eh? I just don't see any reason to join their self-imposed misery.

Heh, very true!

3. ktrapp profile image94
              ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paul - I've noticed you around over the last couple weeks and I think you contribute very positively to HubPages and elsewhere. I followed you here and G+ for that reason, in addition to being interested in the business topics you write about. I am considering joining the small business community that you help to moderate on G+, as well. Thanks for sharing your latest Hub experience with us. It's also a testament to the benefits of being a true participant  in a social community with people of similar interests - very encouraging!

Thanks for your kind words and you'd certainly be welcome on our G+ community.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

???

I think it's a helpful hub, and well-written.  I gave it a tweet.

Thanks Rebekah, I really appreciate that smile

2. ronhi profile image67
      ronhiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wow! and to think i always ignore the suggestions! I have already claimed my title.Hope i will be half as lucky as you smile Thanks for sharing

3. Sheri Faye profile image80
      Sheri Fayeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am new and would love to know how to promote on google+. Any suggestions? I did an exclusive and it is getting almost no traffic although I do think it is good and I spent days and days researching it. Thanks

1. heidithorne profile image92
        heidithorneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sheri, I've been pretty active on G+, but I have to tell you that my experience there is, well... I don't know exactly how to describe it. I have some great and fun chatter with folks I already know pretty well online. Have met some VERY interesting people, lots of them more tech oriented. But here's the biggest problems I have with it: 1) All the chatter seems to occur on G+, with people commenting on the platform, not on my HP or blog links; and, 2) Traffic from G+ to my blogs or HP is difficult to determine. There is a bunch of traffic on Google Analytics that says "google.com" which means what? It apparently  is not organic search. Rumors swirl about whether Google is cloaking data which, of course, is somebody's conspiracy theory. But I've found that the actual figures that say "plus.google.com" are negligible at best. Yet, everyone is hot to be on G+ because of Search and Google authorship. I will tell you that my biggest social media traffic driver for both my blogs and HP is Twitter.

1. Sheri Faye profile image80

hmmm...I haven't been very active on google plus. Thanks Hiedi.

2. younghopes profile image66
          younghopesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@heidithorne, would really be happy if you could please explain a bit how you are driving traffic from twitter to HP. i have tried hard but failed to get any response from twitter, though i have been tweeting, following people of similar interests and retweeting their tweets too.

1. heidithorne profile image92

Hello YoungHopes! I know, Twitter can be frustrating at times. I took a look at your Twitter feed and noticed a few things. I will send you a message with my observations which I hope can help.

1. younghopes profile image66
              younghopesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, i would really appreciate your help

4. heidithorne profile image92

I've done several Exclusives. I've found that they help me come up with some ideas that I may not have considered. Keep up the good work, Paul!

2. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

That's so awesome, Paul Maplesden! Congrats on the Hub's success!

You've presented a perfect example of Exclusives being properly used.

1. You chose a topic that is not already extensively covered online (not all Exclusives are like that- it is important to check)
    2. You have expertise on and interest in the subject
    3. You created a well-formatted, attractive, detailed, truly useful Hub.

I'm glad you've shared your story, as I am sure many in our community could learn from it! big_smile

3. Gail Meyers profile image63
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

Congratulations, Paul!  I am considering following you, if you can "prove" to me that I should...lol.

I have nothing to offer but my observations, my Britishness and my love of hats...

1. ajwrites57 profile image84
        ajwrites57posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paul--"hats off" to you--you are an inspiration! Thanks for contributing! I was able to write two exclusives so far and haven't had as much success as you've had. I'm struggling with the the crossplatform backlinking and such...Keep up the good work, Paul! Go Pens!

2. Louise Lately profile image61
        Louise Latelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations and thanks for a great example of how to use Exclusives!

4. daydreams profile image94
    daydreamsposted 11 years ago

Lucky you. I wrote a couple of entries with exclusive titles, and can't say there has been any noticeable difference in how well they do compared to any other hubs - I reckon the sort of topic you choose has a lot to do with it though.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Because there has been some confusion on the potential of Exclusives during the months since they were launched, I am posting a paragraph directly from the information AP members (who were still 'in training') were given seven months ago, when those titles were first made available on a beta-testing basis:

"What are Exclusives? Exclusives are high-potential titles that don’t already exist on HubPages and will be made available to the best Hubbers within our community. Think of them as on-demand versions of the search-friendly titles we provide in the first month of the program"
    Based on what is stated above, all AP members (everyone in my group, at least) assumed these titles had been vetted and had high-potential in the search engines. There was a subsequent paragraph that mentioned they were still being beta-tested and may have some kinks.  We were not originally told, though, that we should vet the titles in any way.

Because of this - a number of us published quite a few Exclusives titles and then began seeing that they weren't 'taking off' the way thought they might.  Also - because some got practically no traffic, we began checking out whether they were indeed search-friendly, and there were numerous cases (again - the earliest months) of no searches, etc. 

We also were told (as you can see above) that these titles did not exist on HubPages.  It was a new program, though, so there indeed were some kinks. Because we quite naturally entered words (in the hub title box) related to our interests, we were seeing titles almost identical to hubs we had already written. So the idea that the titles didn't exist on HP was another confusion.

Simone is right - now that these issues are known, it's important to check out the search-worthiness of an Exclusives title before claiming it.  Sadly, many of us spent considerable time writing these hubs (again, you can see from the above paragraph that we had a right to think the titles were 'good to go') and finding out they did not always attract the traffic we hoped we'd see.  I probably wrote at least 20 of them - some are doing well, but several are not moving traffic, even after tweaking the titles.

So you can see why some people with experience in writing exclusives titles have mixed feelings.  I think it's a fantastic idea, and whenever the kinks are ironed out, it will be a boon to the site and to the writers here.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

By the way as HP staff and the experienced Hubbers here have always said, after the initial surge of traffic any new hub gets, it takes mobths for a hub to get the organic Google traffic we all want. I was amazed the first time it happened. I admit I rarely socially  'promote' my own hubs & should probably do that more often, but I'm also glad to see I'm growing a healthy ratio of Google traffic, and that's what counts. I just got a bit turned off of the social network repetitious posts from some people - literally five hubs (mostly poems) a day, from the same person. And, the months during AP were very intense and many of us became less active on FB or even on this site.

1. Sheri Faye profile image80

Marcy that is good to know it takes months. I am new and got the first surge, and was getting discouraged! Of course patience is not one of my virtues. Thanks

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just stick with it, Sheri, and keep writing those great hubs!  I love your topics, and it's great to have you in our family of Hubbers. I felt the same way, when I'd see a burst of new traffic & then . . . nothing!  But good hubs, on good topics, will get traction in Google - suddenly you see a bunch of views, with no comments.  That's Internet traffic from search engines.  Yay!

2. heidithorne profile image92

Thanks, Marcy, for the great insight! As a blogger on my own two sites and contributor on others, I know how the traffic can be frustrating at times. So I'm not too worried about my HP newbie traffic. In fact, I'm kind of impressed with it, considering my niche topic. Appreciate your encouragement for us newbies!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)