IMPLEMENTED CHANGE: visited link color changed

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image93
    Jean Bakulaposted 11 years ago

I was just on my account page and some hubs are listed in purple. What does this mean? Thanks.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You clicked them.

Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But I didn't click them. I just logged in to check my stats. I looked at few individual ones, because sometimes there is a message at the top. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the ones I checked, and they are a mix of hubs that are read on an average basis, and very popular ones.

2. Georgie Lowery profile image89
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it's the "visited link" color. I just looked at my Hubs and some of them are purple, too. I clicked on one that wasn't, then came back and it had turned purple. You must have clicked on them at some point since the last time you cleared your cache or your history, and your browser is just showing it as a visited link.

1. brianrock profile image84
        brianrockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is most definitely the "visited link" color.

To elaborate for anyone interested in the technical reasons...

Your web bowser tracks which webpages you've accessed. It stores these in a list (your web history). When you open a webpage and it includes a link to a webpage that you've already visited (and is still stored in your web history), this is classified as a "visited" link.

By default, these visited links appear purple. Websites can apply different styles to override this (using the a:visited css selector). Similarly, the default color for all links is blue, but this can be overridden by a specific website and a css style sheet. You should see a similar effect in Google. Search results that you've previously clicked on show up as purple instead of the typical blue.

It seems that HubPages has modified their stylesheet slightly. Before, regular links and visited links were the same color (at least, as far as I remember). Now, they've defined a purple color (#551a8b) for all visited links. This is a little darker than the default purple color.

Can't explain their reasoning for the color choice. But it is generally considered good practice to use two distinct colors for unvisited links and visited links. It's a useful part of the user experience, so the user knows what pages he or she has already gone to.

3. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Jean,
      I wouldn't know. I just got a notification on my Yahoo Mail that one of my followers started a new thread, so I wanted to say hi and tell you that I seldom visit my account for it just gives me a migraine headache.
      Nice to see you again. Take care.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Several of mine are purple, too. I just noticed that the hubs I have clicked on, even hubs that are not mine, are now showing in purple. Brianrock seems to have the correct answer to this new mystery.

5. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We implemented a change to the color of the text for visited sites.
      If you would like the colors to be different, you may be able to control this behavior via your browser.

Here is a Firefox add-on for example:
      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo … or-toggle/

6. MarleneB profile image90
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed the same thing with mine yesterday. I opened my account and ALL of the hub links were purple (as if I had visited them). Like you, I was wondering what had happened.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

HP is messing around again. LOL

Looks good I think. big_smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I noticed that threads and topics I have clicked on in the forums are purple and my screen name and all of my hub titles on my account page are purple.  It's probably supposed to help identify topics/threads/hubs we follow or have clicked.

4. paradigmsearch profile image61

And Zelkiiro is right. HP just made that distinction more prominent now.

5. paradigmsearch profile image61

The more I look at it and around, the more I love it. big_smile big_smile big_smile

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but you like purple hazes more than some of us do.  Don't ask how we know.  We can tell.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Doing ctrl+ makes it look even more bitchin.

Turn on your black lights and start rotating the mirrored ball on the ceiling.

Can't. The darn thing fell and killed my cat last week.

On a serious note. With my eyes, I can see the purple text twice as clearly as I can see the light blue text. For me the light blue text has always been slightly fuzzy. The purple is clear as a bell. On the other hand, maybe my light-blue problem is because of my crummy monitor.

Sorry about your cat.  I sort of got used to him hanging out on your porch in that one thread.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
            Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most of mine are purple-- and I don't have a mirror ball. Woe is I.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Do you still have a bubble lamp or a filament lamp?  You know - those lamps with glowing strands of something-or-another coming out of the top?

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I have purple on some hubs I haven't clicked on in a while.  Like - maybe weeks.

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Purple is everywhere! Hard to figure it out at a glance. Even stuff I never click on (earnings on stat page) is purple. It all looks kind of random.

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Make that several months.  Also  - it is way more difficult to discern than red type, so if we have hubs that are pre-published (you know - the red letters), it's hard to spot them.

I don't like the purple - not easy to distinguish things.  If there's some reason behind it, I would like HP to fill us in.  Please?

Maybe those are the hubs awaiting QAP, or that have gone through it?  Can we get a better color going, guys?

9. profile image0
    anndangoposted 11 years ago

Glad to hear others are seeing purple. I thought I was going colour blind!

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Maybe HP's server ran out of ink?

Well, at least I know I'm not seeing things smile I tried to find a reason or sense of order, but didn't so far. It is possible the purple is just from clicks, as the first person to answer suggested. But I don't recall clicking on some of them for quite a long time. They were hubs of all different types, varied amounts of popularity. Maybe they did just run out of ink?

Yeah - you can't trust server ink anymore.  Bummer!

There's no rhyme or reason on the purple stuff I am seeing - some I have clicked on recently and they're not purple, some I haven't been on in a few months, and they're purple.  Maybe an audit tool is crawling the site?  And leaving its purple stamp on things?

Purple for Easter?  Hey - clue us in HP.  We are seeing things!

11. paradigmsearch profile image61

BTW!!!! You kill your cookie, and you kill the purple. Until the next time you click whatever, of course.

I don't know how to kill off the cookies - I'm on a Mac.  I agree - the purple is brighter than the blue, but it's also too close to the color of the red hubs in my account.  Guess that means I should write them and get those titles published so it won't bother me.

How do I kill off the cookies?

Figure out how your browser clears browsing data. Might be under something called toolbox or the like. Then when you select clear browsing data, it will also give you the option to delete the cookies as well.

1. brianrock profile image84
          brianrockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Minor technical point, but this isn't caused by cookies, it's caused by browsing history. You usually clear both at the same time when you clear browsing data, but they're two different things (and you can choose to clear one or the other).

Cookies are bits of information stored on a server to identify you and link it to important information (like whether or not you're logged in as a HubPages author). Browsing history is tracked in your browser, and it's simply a list of websites you've visited.

Links that you have visited (and haven't cleared out of your browsing history) will appear purple, unless a website re-defines the style for visited links.

1. Paul Maplesden profile image75
            Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the explanation, I genuinely never knew that! Really well explained as well.

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

You notice HP hasn't chimed in yet.  And we're on the Technical Problems Forum.  They're too busy playing with the mirrored ball and listening to Stairway to Heaven.

As well they should. Besides, what problem? big_smile

Problem?  No problem, you say?

We are whining, spoiled Hubbers who do not like CHANGE of any sort.  We demand answers.  We demand everything to be just as it has always been, only better, but we get to PICK the 'better' stuff.  None of these surprise attacks in purple type.  No sir.  You want to change to purple type, you gotta run it by us carefully in the Forum, and the weekly newsletter thing, and beta test it and soften everyone up for CHANGE.

Gonna turn up the music and get some herbal tea.  Maybe I will take a hot bath. Purple type. Sheesh.  Who do they think they are?

1. kenneth avery profile image79

You are a very honest girl. And you're right. Drink up.

Hi Kenneth,
            It's nice to see you, it's been awhile. Maybe the purple is for Easter, to be cheery. I'm getting out the lava lamp now.

1. kenneth avery profile image79

Wow. Sounds uptown. Really refined. I love it. I've missed you, Jean. You should write me sometime.

13. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I see purple type in various places. I like purple but hard on eyes. Maybe it is an Easter color. I agree. No more surprises. My brain is on overload!!!!!

14. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

That's it, I'm out of here.

I'm unpublishing all my hubs and leaving.

I have take all the crap in stride, all the changes, all the idles and QAP (by those idiot turkers)

But lavender? This is this is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put.

1. SoundNFury profile image83
      SoundNFuryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol that was the straw, eh? 

(I'm assuming you're kidding) smile

15. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I cleared history. They're gone.

16. mydoc profile image58
    mydocposted 11 years ago

My link color are also in purple shade.... Is it risky for any of my hub....

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)