Where is best place to write - fresh info needed.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (34 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 10 years ago

I found this graph huge in original size @ http://crunchydata.com/content-sites.htm

Hubpages is #5 and is recommended to write for when published in Feb 2010 almost four years ago. Does anybody have any newer comparisons of revenue sharing quality that has quality writing?

1. lovebuglena profile image84
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not sure exactly what you mean by your question but another site to consider writing for is BUBBLEWS. You don't need to sign up for AdSense or anything else to money. Just join the site. You simply earn from views, LIKES/DISLIKES, comments and social media shares that occur on your posts. How much you earn depends on how much ad revenue the site is pulling in. And the minimum to cash out is only $25 whereas on HubPages it's $50. It's a fairly new site so it's not perfect yet but it's gaining a lot of momentum and popularity. There are plenty of hubbers on there.

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
          Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bubblews is far different from HubPages.  It's focus seems to be on shorter blurbs rather than long, in-depth content.  I would recommend it for those looking for something different.  I am testing it out, and it's fun, but very different from HP.  When I write here, I put a lot of time and thought into my writing.  On Bubblews, I just hop on every now and then, and just post a short thing or two, sometimes it's just whatever is on my mind at the time.  It's like HP is a well-planned evening meal, and Bubblews is a quick snack.

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't really answer that.  I don't think anyone can.  It's often a matter of opinion.  I know some people who write here that also write several other places, some prefer to write here, and others prefer other sites.  I have checked out other sites, but I like it here.  I also write at Bubblews, but it's far different than writing here.  I like it, but it's not the same.

3. AMFredenburg profile image73
      AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you want to write for a flat fee, you can apply to Demand Media Studios. It has a list of sections, and you have to apply separately for each section, exhibiting some experience and/or expertise in that section, by filling out an application and providing clips of writing you have done. It pays anywhere from $11.50 to $30.00 an article (more for features, but those are not the standard). You claim an article and write to the title following very specific guidelines. It's demanding, but if you can produce regularly the opportunity to earn solid money is there.

The place pays twice a week via PayPal once the article is accepted. It does have to go through an editing process and possibly a rewrite before acceptance (or rejection).

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Looking at the list at that link, ALL of them are in trouble, one way or another.

When it launched the first Panda way back in 2011, Google announced that it was declaring war on content farms.  We can debate what a content farm is - but as far as Google is concerned, all revenue-sharing sites are content farms.  All of the sites on that list have lost most of their Google traffic over the last couple of years, and all of them have made huge changes in response.  In spite of that enormous upheaval, none of them has recovered much, and some of them have simply shut up shop altogether. 

It amazes me that people can watch all that happening, and still persist in believing there is a future in writing for revenue sharing sites.

Go back 10 years, and if you'd told me I could earn money writing, I'd have laughed in your face.  In those days you had to be really, really good and really, really determined to make a writing career. Then the internet, blogging and rev-share happened, and money started falling in our laps, and we got to the point where we thought that was perfectly reasonable and normal.  Well, it wasn't. It was a bubble, and the bubble has burst.

Speaking of Bubbles, you can make money on Bubblews at the moment. If you're happy writing for pennies, it's worth doing - you will earn them fast.  The difference is that it's not a long-term proposition:  your posts will earn a few dollars when they're first posted, but very little after that.  So where a Hub might earn 2 cents in its first three months but $20 in a year, a Bubblews post will earn $5 in its first week and 5.20 in a year.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The problem, Marisa, is that my hubs are not earning good money over time. A couple of years ago, my 20+ hubs were making $20 a month. In recent months, I am lucky to touch $2.50 a month. I can make that on Bubblews in a day or two for minimal effort. and I know many people making far, far more.

I go on there instead of coming to the forum here, and throw out random thoughts. In effect, it is money for nothing. I could have written the same thing on the forums here or on Facebook and gained nothing.

So, I am writing for pennies on Bubblews, but I am writing for infinitesimal fractions of pennies here.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Then why write at either?  Just because one place pays peanuts, it doesn't mean you should be happy that somewhere else pays cashews.  Both are way below what your writing deserves, and probably way less than you could earn in other ways.

For me, the purpose of online articles is to make passive income - if they're not capable of that, then I don't see any point in writing them.  I haven't written a new Hub in six months for that reason, and I believe all other rev-sharing sites are dying a death too.  I have given Bubblews a try and I like the social aspect - but as an earner it's still pitiful. 

If you're willing to write 'fluff" pieces to earn only $2 or $3, then you might as well sell them on Fiverr, where there's half a chance you can build a reputation and ultimately get higher paying gigs.  Or write articles to sell instead, at places like Constant Content - on some of them, you'll be lucky to get $7 or $8 per article, but that's still better than Bubblews.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
            WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Because my main income-generating activity is translation. This is demanding work. It pays well; I can easily earn $200-300 a day, more if I push myself. I had a job from hell the week before last. I hardly slept and I ate ready meals so as save enough time to enable me to finish by the deadline. It was exhausting and frustrating, but the nearly $3000 I earned as a result sweetened the pain considerably.

Nevertheless, it pleases me to earn a few extra pennies in the downtime away from translation that I need during the day.

I thought at first of using my downtime for writing, both here and on Squidoo, cleverly crafted articles about subjects in which I have expertise. The creation of these gave me some pleasure, but the income has been pathetic. I've set up several web sites, which bring in a bit more, but need more attention and effort.

So in the end, I found that the best bet, when I want 5-10 minutes off from my real work is either to play a game, post on Facebook or to throw a few words at Bubblews. The games and Facebook amuse me, but return no profit. Bubblews amuses me and pays a little each day, even on days when I am too busy to add more posts.

At the rate I use Bubblews, it will not provide a significant income, but will fund a couple of weekends away at workshops that interest me, or a few bottles of vintage Bolly a year. It is income for no effort; little bits of income that I would not have otherwise. It requires no thought and no research and is published instantly with no threat of censorship by ignoramuses at MTurk. As I said, I am earning less than $3 a month here. I earned over $3 at Bubblews over the last two weeks when I was busy or away and logged in less than 3 times or so.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
              paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I want to be your friend...

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

It sounds like you're in a very different situation from most other online writers. You have the ability to land hihgly lucrative writing contracts - for you, writing elsewhere is a way of taking a break, and your thoughts are, you might as well get paid for it. 

Personally, I'd be suggesting you find a different kind of recreation, other than writing - if you're going to take a break, for your health's sake, it should be away from the computer!   But that's your choice.

2. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This.

5. Free Gamers profile image64
      Free Gamersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Go to Alexa.com, click on 'Top sites' and then scroll through until you start to see sites that take your fancy.

Blogspot.com is number 13, and I think one of the most overlooked by writers/content creators.

I recently signed up at blogspot to test it out for myself. I decided to pick a highly competative topic (SEO) and write fifty posts/pages on the subject to see how well they performed. I've only created five pages so far, and it's already looking promising. It's recieving over 30-40 visits per day already and I've still got 45 pages to write.

I have another account here at Hubpages with about the same amount of hubs as I do pages on blogger. Here I get about 1 visit per day for each hub, sometimes none at all. They all went from page one and page two on Google to randomly dissappearing from search results after only a couple of months of them being published. They only show up in Google now for their specific titles, and nowhere to be seen for the keywords they were ranking so well for. That's the main reason why I've been putting time into blogger instead of here.

Or simply type into search engine 'writers wanted' 'content creators wanted' 'writers/content creators wanted' and similar searches to bring up a load of sites looking for people to write for them.

Good Luck.

1. AMFredenburg profile image73

Free Gamers, how did you go about picking a "highly competitive" topic? I am curious about your process. Thanks!

1. Free Gamers profile image64

There's a couple of ways you can go about looking for a competative topic/keyword.

Google keyword tool won't show you whether a keyword is easy or hard to rank for in search engines. It only shows you the competition amongst advertisers for that specific keyword. You have to do other research to determine SEO competition. Just because Google keyword tool shows high competition for a keyword, doesn't mean it has high SEO competition. Advertiser competition (Google keyword tool stats) and SEO competition are two totally different things. Something a lot of people get wrong. They think if Google keyword tool says it's high competition then it's impossible to rank for in search engines, which it isn't.

Type a keyword into Google search and look at the top ten results on page one of Google. Before that, download a page rank checker tool add-on for Firefox, or whatever other browser you use. They're free to download.

Then enter each site in the top ten results and check the page rank with the add-on. Anything above pr4 will be difficult to outrank, especially if they have good onpage and off-page SEO using that keyword. 

Good on-page SEO for a webpage is shown by the placement and frequency of use of that specific keyword and related keywords/synonyms throughout the page. 

If a webpage has the main keyword in the title, description, URL, opening paragraph, and throughout the body of the page, including synonyms of that keyword, then they're using good on-page SEO techniques. 

Off-page SEO is determined by how many backlinks the site has pointing to it. Good off-page SEO is using varying anchor text backlinks, as opposed to using the same anchor text on every outside webpage. 

Let's say the keyword here is 'SEO', if every backlink pointing back to the site has 'SEO' as the anchor text, it's considered bad because it doesn't look naturally built to search engines. However, if the anchor text is different for each backlink such as 'SEO' 'Search engine optimization' 'SEO tips' SEO tools' SEO help' and so on, search engines are convinced that these backlinks were built by other people who have shared that content, and not by someone who is trying to manipulate the system to get their site ranked. 

Of course, if your content is of good quality then you won't have to build any backlinks to your content, other people will do it for you through social sharing and adding your content to their own sites. 

If the top ten results all show good on-page and off-page SEO, then you have a difficult journey to get amongst them. However, If there's even two or three of these sites with bad on-page and off-page SEO - meaning they have no backlinks or they are missing the main keyword in one or two of the main areas they should be using them such as title, description, URL, and throughout the body, then you can easily outrank those sites and get a placement on page one for that keyword.

A couple of good tools to check another sites backlinks and whether they're using anchor text correctly or not include SEO spyglass (free download) and ahrefs.com. 

You can also check the top ten results keyword density with free tools to get a good idea of what's working for them. If all of them are using a keyword density of between 3% and 7% then aim for a density of between 3-7 with your own content.

So to summarize.

If there's room to fit in the top ten results for a keyword after researching, do the following things.

Add the main keyword to your title, description, URL, and throughout the body. Also add synonyms of the main keyword through the body.

After calculating the keyword density of the top ten results, aim for an average in your own content.

Build backlinks using varying anchor text that point back to your site. 

One of the main reasons why thousands of sites were damaged in the resent Google updates was because they all had the same anchor text pointing back to their site, so it's really important to vary those.

Also, try and come up with something new on the subject that the top ten results haven't covered in their own site. 

I purposefully aimed for a highly competitive subject just to test out blogger. If I went for the same keyword on hubpages, I wouldn't see any traffic at all. Hubpages are still recovering from damage inflicted by recent Google updates, blogger hasn't been damaged at all as far as I know.

There's other good tutorials for SEO on YouTube if you look amongst the spam and on sites such as Warrior forums.

If anyone else would like to add something to this, then get stuck in and do so. smile

1. AMFredenburg profile image73

Wow! A wealth of information. Thank you!

1. Free Gamers profile image64

You're very welcome, AMFredenburg.

Hope it helps you out, and anyone else who bothers to read it. Using the information will definitely produce positive results.

The hardest part is finding keywords to aim for. Long tail keywords and phrases are easier to find. They have much less SEO competition than single/two word keywords.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a naive question, but is blog spot and blogger the same?

1. NateB11 profile image88
          NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, same thing.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's just Google terminology.  Your posts have the blogspot URL but the overall domain is blogger.com.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Agree about Bubblews. You can write anything off the top of your head. The minimum length is 400 characters, which is 100 words or less. There is no need to insert images, videos, polls, maps and so on. thus you can write a post in less than ten minutes. There is no censorship of the featured/idled type. My current HP earnings are less than $3 a month. I can earn that in a couple of days with minimal activity on Bubblews (about 15 minutes a day). I know people who are able to spend more time there and are cashing out $25 every couple of days or so.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can you just cut and paste "unfeatured" articles from HP to Bubblews? Obvously just delete on HP first. I would love to write here and then ones that do not pass HP's rigorous standards for featuring. Put someplace else.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly what I did with one of my hubs that some Mturk piddled on. Earned me $3.70 so far. Maybe will earn me a penny a day going forward.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Eric:  I had 82 deleted articles left over from my days at Yahoo. When I started on Bubblews I used those.  I cut the longer ones into shorter segments and could sometimes get 5 articles out of one  Yahoo Post.  Now I've started doing the same with my leftover, deleted HP posts.  They no longer just sit and they earn me money, but once I have used them, that's it.  So the answer to your question is "yes"...Bubblews does not like duplicate content, but other than that, you''l be OK with this.

Timetraveller2, so copying, pasting on word, coming back here and deleting and then cutting and pasting -- maybe with new stuff or not, should work just fine? And on Bubblews is 400 more of a recommendation or is it "at least" 400?
          Just did a thirty in thirty here. With most way over 800 with all those little check marks. But clearly HP wants more or something.
          I am noticing that almost all apprentices are in the high 90's and that there content is looking real SEO.

Hi, Eric. Posts on Bubblews have to be at least 400 characters, it's a definite rule. I would personally de-index Hubs first if I put them on Bubblews. They do check for duplicate content. But that's me, I like to be on the safe side if I can. You can de-index those Hubs easily and quickly in Webmaster Tools. In fact, I have some old articles, on a different account than this one I'm using, that are gathering dust. I should delete them and put them on Bubblews. I've already done that a couple times, doesn't hurt.

right on, that shall be fun to learn. I kind of like the sound of that -- de-indexing. It will become a "fine if you do not like it I will take my ball and go home" attitude ;-)

Lol

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, all is well. 93 out of a couple billion ain't bad. https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US

this is very true and there are some here like Billybuc that all by their lonesome are very close. I use Alexa.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Marisa, I am really starting to warm up to you. Sincere. smile Cashews...

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Give Marisa a break...she just had major surgery last week.

5. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 10 years ago

I have a lot of hubs that I've unpublished, and thinking of putting somewehre else. but will 'article spin them' and improve upon before republishing somewhere else.  Sometimes I cringe at my old writing.

I think this is a good practice. What is not right for HP surely may be good someplace else. I think we should be mindful of de-indexing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)