Have you ever noticed?

Jump to Last Post 101-109 of 109 discussions (610 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Agree Susana S.  It is like a rerun that plays 24/7, never ending.

2. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 9 years ago

This thread counts around 40,000 words. That's a whole book full about arrogance on Hubpages' forums and some other things as well, like cats and allergies. This post became so immense, that it's impossible to handle anymore.

So, I agree with Susan - just a little bit smile

If this thread would end 'natural' it wouldn't have any effect and would be a total waste of time. I spent one hour to scroll through this thread and grabbed some phrases. (We could write a book together).

The question was:
    Have you ever noticed as you browse the forums that there is a set group of people that one would presume owns HubPages?  The ones who will be sarcastic and/or disagree with each and every forum post that they respond to?

Just a random pick of words:
    -three mean-spirited bullies
    -mean spirited and designed to denigrate the reader
    -offensive
    -bullying
    -passive/aggressive 'helping?'
    -I've noticed the same (4x)
    -"know-all"
    -air of superiority
    -unofficial HP's administrator brownnoser
    -tired of answering
    -high-attitude and sarcastic
    -mobbing mentality
    -thank you for saying what I was afraid to

One name is explicitly mentioned by someone that I personally find quite arrogant. Calling names moreover is not done. It seems to me there's jealousy that slumbers between some Hubbers.

So what's my conclusion - Jealousy is the reason for this behaviour. Bare this in mind the next time when you're bullied - they're (unconscious) jealous at you.

I have nothing to be jealous at, but if the ones who feel addressed to be the bully here, I invite you to bully me instead of others. I only cannot guarantee much pleasure.

3. helpavisitor profile image60
    helpavisitorposted 9 years ago

I have taken some time to read through some of the comments here and find a lot of them educative, like i state in profile, i am here to learn. I am back to read more of interesting and educative hubs here and to contribute my little. "The sky is wide enough for million of birds to fly without any  collision."

1. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is an AWESOME quote! Thanks for sharing it.

4. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

It would be nice for people to know that comment not in agreement does not mean an attack on you personal ,there is a difference . We can agree to disagree ,as a great quote, I will respect another s explanation and point of  view opposite of mine only in a respectful way. Because then that is only when you can focus on what they are saying from understanding . If you mock , or scorn , or make fun of a persons commit then you have lost their interest in your view because they are not focus on your meaning only on your attack. Which is worthless!

1. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

There's absolutely no problem with debates or disagreements when they are done in a civilised and respectful way.

HubPages would like us to "have fun on the forum" - however IMO that is not a licence to use sarcasm, scorn, mockery or any of the other tactics commonly and frequently used to belittle, bully, threaten or harass other people.

As the forum rules state

"By choosing to be civil, you make the discussion better for everyone involved."

and

Harassing, threatening, or intimidating other Hubbers is against our Terms of Use.

What one person might laugh off as "a bit of fun" (a comment often made by bullies) others will find very threatening.

However when everybody sticks to the principle of being civil there is no problem for anybody.

Here's a useful quiz about cyberbullying http://www.cyberbullyadvice.com/teacher … lying.html

5. Elaine Robles profile image57
    Elaine Roblesposted 9 years ago

I could not have said it better.

6. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

I'm amazed and amused by how many comments this post generated. What a lively topic. But, did it accomplish the goal set out in the original post?

7. Dale Hyde profile image82
    Dale Hydeposted 9 years ago

Just thought I would sorta bring up that three weeks has gone by since the last post here, but the problem still runs rampant, lol.  Enough said, and hopefully this stops other posts along these same lines. 

All members, get a grip, and a reality check, nothing you post here will ever have a bearing on those select few.............

1. Kalafina profile image65
      Kalafinaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree. The problem is still rampant and I feel this post may have made them bolder than ever. I replied to one forum post directed at a specific group because the comment made was ridiculous and rather rude to someone asking for help. The interesting part was when I asked about the hubber's relevant  past (aka the whole point on the forum) they never got back to me.

What I have to say comes down to this: it doesn't matter whether our writing is called a lens or a hub. To most of the world unfamiliar with hubpages neither word has any bearing. Whether we made one dollar or one thousand each month we need to stay humble by realizing we are not 'hired' by hubpages. We aren't writing special articles we were commissioned for. In the larger scheme of the web how long you have been on hubpages means absolute squat. If hubpages decides to close all of us from the newbie to the 'expert' will be out of our 'job' (for lack of a better word) here. Let's all get ourselves a reality check about the little world of hubpages and start treating our fellow writers with a little respect. Unless you are part owner of hubpages you have no right not to.

2. Kalafina profile image65
      Kalafinaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

and kudos x a million to Dale's patience and composure over this forum. His bravery started it and to be honest, I started to feel like people began neglecting to even read his original words choosing to put forth their own opinions which often came close to attacking Dale. You have my utmost respect at how you dealt with everyone here.

1. Dale Hyde profile image82
        Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think perhaps this will upset those that want this thread to slip off the radar, but I do try to post to all that name me, and since I am the OP, I feel it is honorable to respond to those that name me. smile

I did want to thank you for your support, response and understanding Kalafina.

3. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same way. I don't like the innuendos that were made here. I felt it was a lack of goodwill toward other writers, because many thought it was referring to them and just weren't sure. If the forums continue to have threads like this blasting other people, I will probably leave. Maybe that would make some of you happy though.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nah, I like ya. big_smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image73

I push the like button if we were on Facebook, Paradigmsearch.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. Marisa Wright profile image84

Until <snipped> to name the people responsible, instead of making vague references to "we all know who they are", the people concerned are not likely to change their behaviour.  Naming and shaming doesn't work if you don't name.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I see that your use of <snipped> was snipped. Next time use the phrase, "orbicular devices". big_smile

2. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So far as I'm aware they were named and shamed - as in "watch out for [username - explanation as to why]". It just didn't happen in this forum or anywhere public online.

Let's face it people are always going to talk about those whose behaviour they do not like - and will also see it as a good deed to warn others about them if they behave in an obnoxious way.

There's a time and a place. 

So far as change in behaviour is concerned, I've certainly seen some benefits. However I guess that may have been because more people gained the confidence to use the report button once they knew others were using it. If nothing else this thread did demonstrate that, if provoked enough, people will use the approved route for "naming and shaming" (ie report poor behaviour) if they know this is an "OK thing to do".

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

I think it's absolutely right that people should warn others, and I'm happy if this discussion encouraged people to report inappropriate behaviour through the correct channels.

However the tone of the original debate - hurling all kinds of insults at "certain" Hubbers who were never named and therefore had no opportunity to defend themselves - was the worst kind of playground behaviour IMO.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
            Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't want to argue and I'm not going to, but I can't fathom your logic. If I name names in this thread, I'm going to be reported and banned for direct personal attacks. Going by your logic, we either name and shame and get banned, or keep our mouths shut. People aren't named in this thread, but their negative behavior is. There is nothing wrong with that and it is allowed. We are allowed to object to certain types of behavior and express our dislike, just as "certain" hubbers are allowed to be rude. People who feel they might be a "certain" hubber because their type of behavior is mentioned in this thread shouldn't feel hurt and upset, but should consider how many people they have hurt and upset during their forum career, and how many people they've managed to scare away from the forums. If anyone thinks they actually know they are one of these "certain" hubbers, it means they are being deliberately rude to their fellow hubbers and deserve everything they get and more. I know I'm not one of the "certain" hubbers.

And I'm sure naming names wouldn't shame anyone to be honest. It would only give the egomaniacs in question the pleasure of knowing this (to date) 600+ post thread is all about them.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

The only nastiness I can see in the forums right now is this old thread which in my opinion was weeks old and should have been left to sink.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73

I agree.

2. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

And for Heaven's sake... Merry Christmas.

3. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hear hear, well said...

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Dear HubPages,

I'm willing to name a name. Can we negotiate the length of my forum ban in advance? big_smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)