Should we be allowed to:

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 92 discussions (195 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Bump our own threads 5 or 6 times within a few hours just to get people to comment on them? (When no one else is paying attention to that thread)

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Surely this is an issue about the content of threads - Sometimes I like poetry so I go to poetry, sometimes I like pure childish sexual innuendo if it is entertaining, so I go to theirishobserver like everyone else.

so I would say that it is about staying out of threads you don't like and taking part in those you do. No ?

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It annoys me too Whitney, and trends that are being bumped in this way tend to be crappier than average... sad

Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misha. This definitely is an issue bumping quality threads down

Thank you. I do not need attention of people on the internet that I don't know. I get all the attention I need in real life. No need to start stupid threads for nothing. I just want the forums to be a place lacking all the clutter and B/S for lack of better words.

1. tantrum profile image59
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then begin your own forum and moderate it the way you like.

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi tantrum.  Don't you think that all members of Hubpages should be able to bring up a concern or make a suggestion without being told they should just go somewhere else?  It is obvious that if someone doesn't like it here, they could leave; it doesn't need to be stated.

All of us contribute to the community in one way or another and to suggest that someone should leave just because they brought up a concern  is a little rigid, don't you think?

Rigid ??!!

Did you read all my posts here. I think it's childish and funny.
              I'm laughing a lot !
              with your post as well.
              lol lol

1. profile image0

Yes, I have read your posts here, and you are a very tolerant person.  That's why I'm wondering why you want someone to leave just because you disagree with them.

We all find humor on the forums, just in different places.  smile

Childish behaviour makes me laugh.
                  I can't care less if she leaves or not.
                  I don't like people that opens a thread to point out another, even in a subtle manner.

1. profile image0

Interesting.  You don't like a certain type of thread.  Should we suggest that you leave, then?  lol

3. tantrum profile image59

Yes ! and 7, 8 10 times as well !
      If you don't like the topic don't read !!
      I sometimes wonder if this is a grown up forum. With all the reporting, and feeling offended and whining and crying
      Geezzzz !!!
      lol

4. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We should be allowed to bump anything of our own that we want to, whenever we want.  smile

5. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think a person should do it just once, after 24 hours, if there's been no other comments.

2. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

No, I think we should all sit about and wait for the dry as dust commentators to join in smile

3. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Why? We're not allowed?

4. theirishobserver. profile image60

Its ok poppa, its just the Whitney book of rules out again, sad but true smile

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

No, people look for threads of interest so I believe if we began our own threads we should wait others always seem to find them, well at least I do. smile

I agree with you. I have seen numerous threads with the original poster posting 3 or 4 sometimes 5 replies to himself just to bump the thread. There's no content in the posts either.

6. theirishobserver. profile image60

they dont seem to find Whitney's and I think thats the problem, sad but true smile

7. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

It's a tad annoying but I can live with it.  I guess it says more about the attention seeking ways of those who need to do it than anything else.

Best just to ignore it/them.

I agree that it's nothing more than attention seeking madness that's plain immature and irritating.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've been here 3 years, you must have seen this over and over again.

They come, they're the center of attention for 10 minutes, people quickly get bored of them, they leave.

1. Misha profile image63

True dat smile

2. Whitney05 profile image83

I'm hoping that's the case... I just wish that it didn't take so long and the antics were stopped earlier.

8. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

does it matter?

In most forums, it's not allowed.

1. Jane@CM profile image59
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I belong to multiple, large forums & it is allowed - annoying yes, but allowed.

Really now. The most I've ever seen is users get one maybe two bumps when no one else is talking. and then the thread is removed. In most cases, I've always just seen the threads removed. The forums I'm on are fairly big, as well, at least to the reptile community.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57

It does a bit, because anything that may have been genuinely interesting quickly disappears, buried under a pile of crap.

But I spend less and less time here lately, so y'all can do as you please.

1. profile image0
        B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with this comment. ( and with that I have not much else to say )

9. profile image0
    TattoGuyposted 14 years ago

If hubpages allow it then it's their site and a member can do whatever suits them, personally it doesn't bother me, am too busy doing my own thing smile

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, hi tat btw big_smile

10. profile image0

Hi Lyric smile

11. theirishobserver. profile image60

if only everyone was as mature as lyrics and tatto man smile

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I haven't participated in very many forums, but I've read that it's a forum faux pas.

it's seems a form of promotion which states in bold type
    not to do.

as far as I can see on this board, people are going to do what they want. hmm

hey tatoo smile

13. profile image0

Hi RebekahELLE, I is back on the forums, hope ya didn't miss me too much smile

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well look who the cat dragged in.

where you been anyway Captain...wink

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAH!!!! HI Tatoo guy!!  smile

14. theirishobserver. profile image60

rebekahelle, there is no rule stopping you from answering your own threads.....sometimes five people might comment....you respond........this is just another person trying to get attention as she feels she cannot achieve on her own merits..... smile

1. Misha profile image63

Hey Irish, this is seriously uncalled for. If anybody is striving for attention around, this is you.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He's getting back at her for criticizing his double entendres.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pot calling the kettle black?

Irish, we used to have a Hubber here called Badco. He posted a lot of humorous threads on the forums too, but his were actually funny.

15. rebekahELLE profile image85

should be lively..  welcome back.

16. profile image0

Arghhhhhhhhhh, loves the pirate always, cheers for the welcome back and shud be lively indeedy smile

17. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

It doesn't bother me either especially if its not a thread I'm interested in commenting on anyway.

What's up TG good to see you back, maybe you can liven the place up a bit.

18. rebekahELLE profile image85

whitney isn't trying to get attention! she's just addressing a concern to the community.

the sandpit is for the silly threads, but no need to bump them needlessly, but I do agree that sometimes it's fine if you want to respond.

19. AnythingArtzy profile image67
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

I never give it a thought when I see the thread starter posting in his/her thread. I thought that was the whole purpose in starting one, to participate and interact with other hubbers on a particular subject.

1. Misha profile image63

Interacting and bumping are two altogether different animals. smile

1. AnythingArtzy profile image67
        AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Misha. smile
        this "bumping", could it also be because the starter  really wants some input and since there are so very many threads started that most don't get to see all of them because they get bumped back several pages?  I like to go back sometimes to the last page of previous threads just to see what I may have missed.

I post a lot but never really got into the politics of the forums. just wondering.

2. Whitney05 profile image83

Some people aren't interacting with anyone but themselves, which is the concern. A good conversation or debate with other people is one thing, but talking to oneself bc no one else is talking on that thread is another. Definitely spam or something.

lol
        are you serious ? You sound like a whineing child

20. theirishobserver. profile image60

Misha, I am doing an verse that lasts until 14th february, if people cant mind their own business then they should go away and do something useful with their time smile she can clearly see that I posted the thread.....just stay away if she dosnt like it smile

21. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

I don't mind. Sometimes a person wants an answer to what's on their mind, so they bump it. There may be cases of 'attention-getting' but I don't see it that way smile

22. theirishobserver. profile image60

Mr Voodoo, having read your hubs cant believe that your as petty as that smile

It's not petty my friend, just the way it is, it's the circle of life. smile

23. profile image0

Nice to see everyone is just as lovin as always smile jeeez ya just hit the remote if ya don't like it, works for me !

1. Misha profile image63

Hey BC, weren't you banned for life buddy? wink

1. profile image0
        TattoGuyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I died, the religious peeps were right, there is a God plus great broadband smile

1. Misha profile image63

Welcome back to life then, now you are born again, right? wink

1. profile image0

Yeah but am restricted to being a born again good boy, good to see you still about mate smile

1. Jane@CM profile image59
              Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How are sir?  Hope well...tatoo guy has really taken off, great idea!

1. profile image0

Jane the tattoos was the best idea I had plus I am now mixin in my humor hubs keyworded of course. I gotta say I was a really dumb pirate wen I joined, but I have learnt loads from you peeps, tis good to be back on here, missed ya all !

24. theirishobserver. profile image60

I must say that I thought cyber space was a big place with open minds.....how wrong can you be...still plenty of petty minded among us......still at least they cant burn our books smile

25. theirishobserver. profile image60

No the circle of life is that we deafeated the Nazi we dont need them to appear in our world today with their petty controls..... smile

I'm not trying to control you, just offering my opinion as you have, but because it differs from yours you see it as an attempt to control you.  And naturally anybody who isn't in full agreement with you is a Nazi.

26. theirishobserver. profile image60

Anything arty...on more than one occassion today the thread Islam was repeated several times (20)...pushing threads down several pages.......I am here for discussion not to be bullied by people who have no interest in the thread discussion but who simply want to create their own rules as they think they have some importance...when they clearly have not smile

1. AnythingArtzy profile image67
      AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aaaaah I guess I did miss something lol  I didn't realize there was a particular thread that was a culprit. thanks smile

27. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Hmmm, how does one become controlled or bullied on a message board?  The bully part I get, if you allow it...but controlled?

28. theirishobserver. profile image60

Again, misunderstanding, I was not calling you a Nazi, I said we defeated the Nazi mentality, I have been on the threads for the past 6 hours, minding my own business, when yet again someone tries to create new rules as they dont like the fact that I am so active here....you did not create the thread...but you should have the  intelligence to see that this is an attempt by some to try and create their own rules......we have the rules for HP we dont need other self imposed rules smile not you at all smile

No worries, and I agree.  As Tatto guy (AKA BC) said at the start of this thread, as long as HP allows it then go for it, it's not my forum.

This thread was without doubt a thinly veiled jab at yourself, but only in the same way that your pussy thread seemed to be a jab at Whitney yesterday after she'd asked for that sort of thing to be kept out of the pet forums.  Things escalate, and become no fun for anybody involved.

I'm off to buy cheap beer and hard drugs, take it easy. smile

29. theirishobserver. profile image60

B/S now there is that language again, sad smile

30. theirishobserver. profile image60

why dont you go and talk to the dog smile

31. theirishobserver. profile image60

tantrum well said, I was thinking it sounded like something else but i wont say it in case the police are call....911 anyone smile

32. theirishobserver. profile image60

maybe she needs a good bump, thats whats wrong with her, no bumps smile

33. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

After reading all this I'm tempted to begin threads and bump all the time
    what's the problem ?
    Again : Don't read !
    lol
    So funny !! lol

34. theirishobserver. profile image60

no problem voodoman - all is well smile

35. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I LOVE A GOOD BUMP!!!!!!!     big_smile

36. theirishobserver. profile image60

but when people dont get a good bump they get frustrated and unfulfilled, sad but true smile

37. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Bump Ladies?!?!?     big_smile

38. theirishobserver. profile image60

hopefully smile

39. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Mrvoodoo I've seen others do it. I would have posted no matter who the user was.

But don't worry, with all the rude comments towards me for simply trying to bring up a concern. I'm out of here for a while. Hopefully, the forums will be a little more adult whenever I come back.

This place is childish, and I was followed around the forums all morning. I posted comments on other people's threads in the pet forum, and irish follewed me there and made rude comments in those threads. Why should I get harassed for bringing up issues in the forums?

40. theirishobserver. profile image60

Whitney, you know you would not have raised it about others, as you did not about others in other matters, so before you go running to victim support, dont forget you started this by being silly and calling me stupid....do you have a Phd...no...so clearly I am not the one that is stupid smile

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah!!!!!

41. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

@TheIrishObserver, why you're getting this thread as entirely directed at you. To clear things of let me tell you that there are many other posters who are bumping threads as well. And If someone is turned off and is complaining about rapid thread bumping then so be it, they have right to do so just like you feel your right to bump threads. We all have our views and there is no wrong if someone is expressing it.

If hubpages is allowing thread-bumping then most of people here should have no problem with it. But generally thread bumping like this way is not encouraged in forums.

42. theirishobserver. profile image60

skyfire, thanks for your contribution, but the thread was created for my benifit, honestly, more to it than meets the eye, yesterday I was called a creep and stupid by the same peopel for no reason, its about me alright smile

How childish !! and now she opens this thread !
      well whitney, Thanks for the laughs !
      lol lol lol

43. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I really don't see why it is a big deal.

44. theirishobserver. profile image60

It is not a big deal, just someone peeping out the curtains as they would do in their own house smile

45. theirishobserver. profile image60

Prettypanther, people are welcome to make a point if they wish, however, two days in a row, harassing the same individual is not on smile yesterday I was called stupid and a creep by the same people, for no reason other than creating some interest and fun here smile

46. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Alright if you feel that way, so how we are going to put end to this thread ? By chasing off thread starter and saying that point of thread starter is invalid ? I don't see that one worthy. Thread starters point remains valid that bumping threads this way is distracting even if people don't get into the thread, main forum index shows bumped threads at the top and this surely disturbs many people. If the bumps were reasonable then thread starters point is wrong but is that case here ?

Bumping disturbs people ??
      This is getting funnier by the sec
      lol

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure it is funny for you.

Funny indeed !
          disturbing bumping.
          I love it !
          lol

Yeah, you would like to see cock,pussy threads bumped at top and it's not disturbing the forum index ? More funnier by second right ?

Right !
              lol
              Love pussy threads.
              I love animals ! big_smile

See, this is what you like and you expect others to like that same ? And if it's not your way it is funny,right ?

lol
                  I don't expect anything!
                  I'm for freedom.
                  what I don't like is subtlety in pointing out others.
                  lol
                  I can't care less what you think, what you want ,what you are !

Yeah sure freedom, so if with that freedom someone feels that thread bumping is wrong then it is funny and wrong ? Wow, we like freedom and we care less ha.

47. theirishobserver. profile image60

Earlier I offered the hand of peace and it was not accepted - Whitney decided to push on with her childish campaign smile I will not be bullied by anyone smile

48. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

I don't see it as a big deal, but it is one reason why I personally have spent less time here.  Too much clutter to wade through. Some like it; others don't.  We're all entitled to our opinions and our own likes and dislikes.

49. theirishobserver. profile image60

pretty panther - if you look at the fourth comment on page 2 of "what makes a good dog" thread, you will see I offered the hand of friendship, even though I was the one who was called stupid yesterday for no reason... smile

50. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

We should be 'allowed' to do as many things as we possibly can.

Things that we should not be allowed to do should be limited to things that will cause immediate physical harm to others.

Being annoying to others isn't something that should be 'Banned', it is something grown ups should learn how to emotionally deal with.

cool

2. profile image0

I agree with this, but owners of forums make rules all the time to keep the forums running smoothly, including banning certain types of posts.  It isn't unheard of for forum owners to not allow repeated bumping.  Whitney's suggestion wasn't whining, it was a valid suggestion and should be treated as such.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but the reaction from some people here is just silly.

1. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Make rules?

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My two cents wasn't about calling someone a whiner or anything like that. I was merely attempting to state that I feel we already have too many rules that limit us. More rules, as a general rule, to me is a bad thing. Attempting to control people by creating more and more stricter rules doesn't work. The people that are being controlled just find better ways or other ways to get away with it....(i.e. the war on drugs, that use to be the war on alcohol and it didnt work then either)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)