Site Update -- Maps Capsule, and more

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 62 discussions (81 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 13 years ago

After the longest stretch in memory without an update to the site (nearly 3 weeks), we've just deployed a new release.  The biggest change is the addition of a map capsule, which as the name would suggest allows you to include Google Maps in your hubs, for instance see Livelonger's hub on the Best Vegetarian Restuarants in Orange County.  You can also learn more about the map capsule in the HubPages Learning Center.

Among a whole bevy of small updates, a few notable changes with this release are the addition of a facebook "like" and "tweet this" buttons near the top of your hubs (along with some minor design changes in that area), an optional email notifications when you get new followers (not just new fan mail), and a page to review feedback on your hubs.

As usual, if you notice any problems with the site please let us know.

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paul Deeds = Rock Star.
      (The new design is very easy on the eyes.)

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks Paul and Hubteam. those map capsules are really neat! the onliest thing that needs tweaking is, when you first add the capsule and fill in an address, your screen goes white and you have to exit out of the editor without saving, but thankfully, the editor saves what you did so far. the second time you fill in the map capsule, it works fine.

other than that, could a new window open when the user clicks 'Get Directions'? currently, it takes them out of HubPages when they do that. if not, that's fine too. thanks!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi cosette. that happened to me yesterday when I was trying to add a number of locations. it went white and then I couldn't exit. I'll try again this weekend. I had no problem when I only used one location.

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh hi smile

hmm, interesting. it's a neat thing, i have to say. this site is getting slick! wink

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey, groovy profile pic. smile

3. lxxy profile image60
      lxxyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks paul and the rest of the HP code monkeys, and team in general!

Y'all get better and better!

It makes me skip to my lou! (Grant?)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BRMr2D3unLI/TEtO2cNvAWI/AAAAAAAAAWU/Ob21AB29JKc/s800/shatnerday_sm1.gif

1. ngureco profile image80
        ngurecoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ixxy, how do you get that kind of image that look like video? It's very good.

1. lxxy profile image60
          lxxyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi nguereco!

Actually, it's a gif image. Motion. It can be done easily on some older cameras, and newer ones use motion jpeg (like the last episode of the last season of House!)

Anyway, I didn't do it. I found it on SenorGif and uploaded it to my Google Account. smile

Soo...

http://www.senorgif.com

And how I upload/share...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7lvjOGKwM0

Just in case you or anyone has questions. smile

So, most of all--thanks to all these peoples with this technology for me to play with. wink

4. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  Sounds great!  Will have to try and start adding them to my new travel hubs and will go back and add them to ones already published.  You guys are great!!!

5. profile image49
      vinaymishraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Loan is very helpful for every person.
      -------------------------------------------------
      Debt Consolidation Advice

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

nice, I have just noticed all of these and wondered how long they had been there! I love all the new additions. fun features! thanks. big_smile

3. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Wow, I haven't been on for a few weeks and came across these new updates.  These are great!

Thanks Paul and the HP team!

4. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 13 years ago

Thank you. I very much appreciate the addition of a Google map capsule.

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years ago

Perfect to add Google maps to my city review hubs! Thanks a million!

6. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

kewl  cool  Thanks HP team for these interesting updates! 

(now, what can I write about to include a google map?  lol)

7. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Great updates! Noticed the tweet/like buttons and thought I'd trundle down to the forums to see what I missed. I think these buttons will probably raise our traffic since not everyone goes to the bottom of an article or uses the share button.

I remember someone asking about a google street view capsule so this should keep them happy.

Thanks!

8. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Thank you so much.  Maps will be great to add to all my travel hubs.  I'm so excited about this new feature!

1. travelespresso profile image69
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just added two maps to my hubs and they are, like the other capsules, so easy to use!  I'm so happy to have this addition.  Thanks.

1. profile image0
        BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could you explain how you did this?- thanks

1. travelespresso profile image69
          travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Click your hubs to edit them in the usual way. 
          Then select the map link (it looks a little bit like a compass) from the usual place you add capsules to a hub. 
          HubPages have also added a "how to" in the learning center I think they said but its very easy to do!  Hope this helps.  Happy mapping!

9. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I absolutely love the updates, Paul, thanks team! wink

10. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Update: Added maps to my travel capsules - awesome! However the map capsule decided to not let the search button work. However going out of edit mode then going back in fixed this problem and it's possible to pinpoint a state or country instead of just an address which is great.

Love the like button because you don't have to leave HP to use it!

Edit: Could we have some way of tracking how many "likes" we've gotten on our account page? Please please please?

11. Mutiny92 profile image66
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

wow!  Thanks!

12. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

Ooh, awesome! Going to go experiment with the map capsule on some of my travel hubs!

Speaking of that, any chance we'll be able to get filtering by tag back as an option on our statistics page? I miss it. sad

13. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Including Google maps is a great feature, I like all the updates, and the like this/tweet this buttons are awesome!!!

14. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the update. The site is getting better and better. Why are you doing this? lol

15. Katerra profile image60
    Katerraposted 13 years ago

I'm working on some city site seeing reviews. This feature will be very useful for my hub readers.

16. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Great new features but I was wondering if there was a way to include an existing google map like the Hubtrail map?

17. charlemont profile image76
    charlemontposted 13 years ago

I've just refreshed my Hubs page and my first impression was: "where has the HP gone?" It somewhat differs from previous design. At least the upper part of My Account wink Now there's a Feedback button under Statistics. I love the calm color scheme of the background.

18. cupid51 profile image68
    cupid51posted 13 years ago

These are very useful updates, thanks Paul! smile smile

19. Money Glitch profile image64
    Money Glitchposted 13 years ago

Whoopee, this is exciting.  I know that readers had the ability to share our articles, however, I think seeing that Tweet & Facebook caption is going to make them more prone to sharing articles they like.  Numerous readers have commented on my hubs that a family or friend member should read an article.  Now all they have to do is push the button... and oooh lala more traffic. big_smile

Woo Hoo, thanks HP! cool   http://i40.tinypic.com/14t3nyc.jpg

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Interesting changes. Looks a little strange, but I guess one can get use to it.

The maps capsule is pretty cool and I look forward to checking it out.

Thank you Staff. smile

2. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

WOWSOME!  I love maps smile

3. jasonycc profile image67
      jasonyccposted 13 years ago

Thank you. HP never stop improving and that's great! Google maps will be really useful in my Holiday hubs. Thumbs up.

4. Simple Tim profile image57
      Simple Timposted 13 years ago

Awesome new layout too team hubpages! I like that the facebook and twitter buttons are on the top of the page!

5. Anamika S profile image69
      Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

Great Changes! I absolutely love the new HubPages layout and facebook like and tweet buttons on the Hubs. I am sure that it would help in getting more visitors to hubs! Thanks.. HubPages Team! It is a pleasure to be in this Site.

1. 2uesday profile image64
        2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Thank you - for this fantastic addition to the capsules that we use to create our pages.

Lots of potential in this for travel hubs etc. I am sure that with time and a bit of practice it will become very useful in creating hubs. I can see it will be a popular feature for visitors to our pages too.

This is a great addiiton to the HubPages creation tools, hot on the heels of the handy keyword feature in our statics for hubs.
        Thank you team.

2. freecampingaussie profile image60
        freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

Love the new map available also the twitter & face book section, It will make the hubs even better !

3. EmmaMedu profile image69
        EmmaMeduposted 13 years ago

This is great news! Map is a very useful part of traveling hubs or the ones describing anything that has to do with any kind of location (restaurants, galleries,...).

I always find exciting changes here on HubPages.

I also like the twitter button, which was not awailable before.

4. Sufidreamer profile image79
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Nice one - I am going to put some of those in my Greece Hubs later.

Thanks for that! smile

5. tonymac04 profile image71
        tonymac04posted 13 years ago

Great new features. Thanks for the maps capsule especially. Will use that in due course. Congrats - HubPages is simply the best!

6. tonymac04 profile image71
        tonymac04posted 13 years ago

Have just added a map to my Hub on Cape Town images and it's really awesome!
        I love this new feature and will in due course update as many Hubs as possible with it. Really great new feature!

7. Princessa profile image80
        Princessaposted 13 years ago

This is great I'll be usingthis feature.  I have a lot of travel hubs that will benefit from this new add.
        Thank you for always working to improve our experience hubbing!

8. brettb profile image60
        brettbposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the updates! I'll have to think of some map related hubs.

One annoyance I get a lot in IE is that sometimes when you add photos they don't actually upload, the Ajax egg timer thing just spins around. I don't seem to get it in Mozilla.

1. charlemont profile image76
          charlemontposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One more reason to quit using IE in favor of Firefox wink

1. profile image0
            BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I still get the egg timer thingy sometimes and i use Firefox.

2. brettb profile image60
            brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Firefox is much better for Hubpages, but I like to use my different Hubpages ID's in different browsers.

The problem is that sites like InfoBarrel don't work properly in Firefox (not that I'd ever consider writing for InfoBarrel lol).

9. profile image0
        BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

Changes for the better.

10. agvulpes profile image85
        agvulpesposted 13 years ago

As 'they' say 'best thing since sliced bread' Now all we need is something that will write our Hubs for us!  Any ideas? lol

11. profile image0
        BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

thankyou

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

the map capsule is wonderful!! exciting to see how easy it is to use. it will really help on the travel hubs! thanks so much. big_smile

also nice to see Feedback info on our individual hubs.

13. Mike Lickteig profile image76
        Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

Some nice additions and I will enjoy using them.  Some hubs I have written in the past will really be enhanced with a map, and I am looking forward to adding them.  Thanks.

14. ethel smith profile image83
        ethel smithposted 13 years ago

I really like the map addition. It saves all the searching for maps especially in travel hubs. I have only updated my Cyprus Hub for now but I am going to set about amending all the other ones. Thanx

15. cocopreme profile image89
        cocopremeposted 13 years ago

The maps capsule will be great for travel hubs.  I like the hub feedback as well.  I have been wondering about which hubs where receiving feedback.  Great additions!

16. liljen23 profile image76
        liljen23posted 13 years ago

Like the updates.. Thanks HP Team!!

17. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Yay!  The map feature is great!  I've just added it to one of my hubs, and plan to add it to another. 

Also like the less cumbersome 'share' links.

Thanks!

18. elayne001 profile image79
        elayne001posted 13 years ago

Maps are a great addition. I have a few ideas in mind . . . better get busy.

19. ns1209 profile image62
        ns1209posted 13 years ago

The maps is great if you have travel or places hubs.  Also I think the new facebook and twitter buttons are really good and could lead to more traffic! 

Thanks for these updates and improving the site!

20. DC Research profile image60
        DC Researchposted 13 years ago

It's great to see updates happening constantly on Hubpages.  Makes me trust that you guys are up to date to keep up with the changing internet environment and staying competitive.

21. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

OK--just found a minor glitch with the new 'share' button, which should be easily fixable by the web gurus behind the scenes at HP:

When you click on 'tweet this,' instead of opening Twitter in a new window, it changes the browser page to Twitter, taking you clean [i]out of[/i/ Hub Pages.

This makes it unnecessarily time-consuming to navigate back and forth to promote several articles at a sitting.

If this could be addressed, it would make the new 'share' utility really super-deluxe!

Thanks for listening! wink

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
          DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

(not sure how the html formatting went wrong, there....)  sorry 'bout that...

22. Purple Perl profile image49
        Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

I love the new hub tool-maps! Already had fun implementing a map with hot spots in my old hub on Bangalore city. Many thanks!

23. Carolina Crete profile image67
        Carolina Creteposted 13 years ago

I love the Google map capsule too - great for travel hubs. Well done!

24. theirishobserver. profile image62
        theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

The map is a God send - I have added it to a number of my hubs and in particular to my hubtrails hub on Dublin and it gives a sense of where everything is....great work

25. brettb profile image60
        brettbposted 13 years ago

One other site update I'd like to see is the whitespace removed if Google can't find any ads for a particular hub.

This is quite common on Hubs that have content that Google finds a bit hmmmmm, but is not itself against their terms & conditions. I've seen this happen a lot with Hubs with sexy photos or hubs about legitimate topics such as giving massages.

I guess I should clean up my act, but it is *very* difficult to work out exactly why Google doesn't like a certain page.

Maybe you could put in a generic Amazon best sellers alternative ad or something? The thing about these "dodgy" hubs is that they often get A LOT of traffic, so it would be good to monetise them somehow instead of leaving empty space.

26. ScientificGear profile image60
        ScientificGearposted 13 years ago

Awesome! Now we can see our Hubs feedback all in one page, and the email notification for new followers is equally great!Hmm, I may find future use for the Google maps capsule.

Thanks HP team!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)