HP Ads major campaigns and improvements

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

For those participating in the HubPages Ad Program.  Today we kicked off a major Bing campaign.  As part of the campaign there is a brand study that randomly brings up a survey.  The results of the survey are how they determine the success of the campaign.  For logged in users, you'll never see the ad or the survey and we only allow these surveys for brand advertisers that we are working directly with.

This campaign is part of a major trend that we are hoping to capitalize on.  High impact premium ads and video.  These ads come at rates significantly higher than what we get for standard ad units.

However, standard ad units are very important to overall monetization.  We've recently added a few networks that just went live helping improve the per unit rate in several international markets significantly. 

All people in the HubPages Ad Program have their inventory sold directly, get access to all network partners and have the ability to show more than three AdSense ads on a page.  The ad market continues to improve and I believe we are on track to see significant improvements by the 4th qtr of the year.

1. SMOMarketingWiz profile image58
      SMOMarketingWizposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

1. travel_man1971 profile image62
        travel_man1971posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info, Sir Edmond. I have to activate my HP Ad  Program first before I can truly enjoy its benefits.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Wow.  I'm glad to see this (and appreciate it, of course).  Guess I won't be turning off my HP ads for another, desperate, comparison test quite yet.  smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, if you're going to do a comparison, remember you need to allow a reasonable time - say a month - before you turn HP Ads back on again. A few days or a couple of weeks isn't enough because things fluctuate too much.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
          Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thanks.  I didn't give it much time at all (mostly because I got pretty horrified and chickened out of my own test).   smile  I don't recall how long each test was, but none ever got to even two weeks.

3. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

interesting...is it supposed to be the same ad twice on top of each other at the top of the page?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5143175_f248.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up!

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
        Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You shouldn't see double ads. What browser are you using?

4. smanty profile image60
      smantyposted 12 years ago

Sounds Great! I'm excited to see the improvements! Thank You

5. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I still haven't tried HP ads, even though I promised not to try it till June when everyone was invited. (remember when I was accused by so many of the sour grapes thing?)

You guys let me know how the new HP ad stuff works out, will ya?

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

Thanks for reporting. I saw it and it should be fixed in the next 30 minutes.

1. rebekahELLE profile image87
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, mine look the same. hmm
        Thanks for letting us know it will be fixed quickly. Is it that way with all browsers? I use FF 4.0.1.

7. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

It's fixed, just waiting for it to propagate through the ad server.

8. rebekahELLE profile image87
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

nice, the ad is quite impressive. Thanks. I'm sure it will get views with the video.

9. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

Safari here

10. K9keystrokes profile image84
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Outstanding information Paul! I really like the look, a lot! thanks for all of your hard work and forward thinking during these trying times. Keeping the faith! smile

11. ProCW profile image80
      ProCWposted 12 years ago

Sounds great! I'll be publishing a new hub in a few minutes, in hopes of benefiting from this golden opportunity! smile

Thanks, Paul!

12. RedElf profile image90
      RedElfposted 12 years ago

Sounds interesting - thanks Paul for keeping us up to date.

13. Froggy213 profile image61
      Froggy213posted 12 years ago

Paul, I say great job!!
      I know my friend, you are working towards a plan that will help all of us--any way I can help, just say it.
      I am extremely satisfied with hub pages. I know you are out to make it great for all of us--thanks Bro!

14. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I saw that Bing ad first thing this morning before I had logged in.

Those things always arouse conflicts for me - I detest everything Microsoft, but I'm happy to take their advertising money :-)

1. melbel profile image96
        melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

<3

I feel the "the enemy of an enemy is a friend" mentality at work here.  Yeah, we are sooo friends now. tongue

15. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years ago

Thanks for this Paul, it's good to know your still trying to improve hubbers earnings.

16. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 12 years ago

Take a look at this:

So HOW is HP recovering? Apparently there is no real evidence of it, only what HP staff claims, but other data seems to indicate otherwise:

http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com#traffic

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
        Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know...that may be a bit misleading as thousands and thousands of hubs have been deleted in the past few months.  Entire accounts of hubbers with well over 1M views have been banned due to egregious violations.

When you normalize for those lost hubs, it might be a different story.

To be fair, the amount of new hubs from established hubbers are sorely lacking.  That is the better indicator in my book and speaks to the belief by the community that all is not quite well yet.  At this point, many believe their time is better spent elsewhere...I suspect that it won't take much to shift the formula and bring in a lot of new hubs.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point - if HP can maintain the same number of total views with the number of hubs they've deleted, I would say that the average views per hub must be going up.

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
          Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Believe what you will, but the over-riding indicator is that readership is WAY down. That means searches are not effective, post panda. So people searching for content are not finding on HP what they once were. The evidence simply is that HP, although perhaps still in growing pains stage, is floundering. There is no recovery as yet because the numbers simply indicate otherwise.

I'm not saying HP won't recover. I'm saying that the trend is that it isn't recovering.

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
            Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may very well be right.  My point was that comparing earlier views to current views is not comparing apples to apples

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
              Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see what you say. No contest with it. I simply posted so that people can evaluate for themselves.

2. smanty profile image60
        smantyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a really interesting graph. To my knowledge, though, it takes a long time for Google to respond to the improvements that HP is adding. When HP says we are doing better, they mean they are improving the website and in the near future, we will see improvement with Google.

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
          Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's right. We have not made any claim that traffic has been restored yet, and we've been clear that we're continuing to work on this.

We implemented the Quantcast tag to be open about our traffic figures; they are accurate.

17. nanospeck profile image60
      nanospeckposted 12 years ago

Hey Paul,

Now it seems the panda update made us better. The way hp is evolving and pondering for better ads would ultimately lead to success and I have hope very soon we will reach back to old levels (and even) through alternate ways. This had helped to end the ad monopoly of Google and has given a chance for all potenial ad mediums to be found and tested by publishers everywhere. Imagine a web without the panda update, we'd all be using the same old adsense ad even now and our skills would have moribund reciving the expected green checks every month.

Thumbs up!

18. Cheeky Girl profile image66
      Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

We should all be helping Hub Pages more by helping to direct people, viewers, readers, consumers and folks in general more towards Hub Pages. If there were lots of links all pointing here, and people clicked on them, Hubs would be getting a lot more reads. And if we focus on great quality writing, we will all benefit!

The Hub Ads work for me, and I am happy with this. These new innovations are good. I support this. Thank you Hub Pages and Thank you Paul! You guys are working hard to make things better. We should be all helping with the push!

1. Barbara Kay profile image75
        Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen and share the links to hubs we enjoy with our friends on Facebook etc.

19. Peggy W profile image94
      Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Thanks Paul and the entire HP staff for continually trying to make HubPages better.  After all the changes that are being implemented, I am sure that HP will be a source of pride and increased viewership (and income!) over time.  Staying the course!

20. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 12 years ago

That Quantcast graph looks very much like my site - only yours has bigger numbers to the left smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image75
        Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Internet traffic does go down in the summer every year anyways. That may be part of the problem.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For some it does.  Summer is usually my best earnings season.  Notice I said "usually."  Strange goings-on at the present. mad

21. Randy Godwin profile image61

Anyone notice any improvement with the new HP ad thingie this thread is about?  I've made Adsense payout this month and thinking of trying the HP ad program but wonder if it is worth it.

Can anyone tell any difference in the HP ad earnings since this thread began?  smile

1. profile image0
        andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was initially very much impressed with HP Ads and  thought I'll publish 1000 hubs in one year, well that's a huge number and for that I would have to work 10 - 12 hours a day. But I'm capable of doing that. I took the decision when I saw I'm earning @ average 3 or slightly more CPM. But who wants to jump in on such a big project without some experiments, so I started with 20 experimental hubs (of course tactfully copied from multiple sources with less than 20% my original input).

Let me tell you the story:

I did activate HP Ads when it went on air for all for the first time. From then up to the third week of May my average views were 100 per day (approx.) and HP Ads gave me decent returns @ 3 average CPM. I did earn $11 (approx.) in 40 days for an average 100 views per day in April - May. 

Since the first week of June my HP Ads earnings just went static! My average page views jumped to 400 for the first 7 days of June (since I produced 20 really demanding stories mainly by copying from elsewhere on the web... so there was a four fold jump in page views almost instantly). But I noticed with a big surprise that the CPM came down to around 1. I realized that the advertisement system presented to us by HP is not  trustworthy, at least for the moment. So I abandoned my project of producing 1000 articles in one year, of course I'm doing it elsewhere.

But my AdSense earnings skyrocketed at equal proportions (earnings jumped four times with equally more clicks) during the first week of this month! Nothing to complain!

I'm a professional on the web... HP has to prove itself to the professionals for success. If you don't believe in my story... just go and experiment.

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry can you explain again? You are admitting to copying your hubs from other places on the web? Or not...

I man if that was acceptable, I could have 10,000 hubs up by now, but I choose to write them from scratch...

1. CMHypno profile image83
            CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But they were 'tactfully' copied Izzy! LOL! If you go into this character's hubs and do some searching, there is plenty of copied content to be flagged!

And he talks about HP not being trustworthy!!!

22. NickRobertson profile image60
      NickRobertsonposted 12 years ago

very interesting, I thought the hp ads were pretty cool, I haven't used them yet.

23. Ritsos profile image41
      Ritsosposted 12 years ago

I don't see them .. even when logged out !!

24. SunSeven profile image60
      SunSevenposted 12 years ago

I dont see the money! smile

25. Randy Godwin profile image61

Perhaps if the new HP ad program works out well they can hire someone with the ability to communicate with the concerned members here.  As of late, they have no one capable or willing to do so.

26. SaMcNutt profile image61
      SaMcNuttposted 12 years ago

One of the things I am concerned about is the recent treatment of some Hubbers who use Adsense. There seems to be a growing negativity with using the Adsense program and I wonder how HubPages is trying to resolve the lack of trust some Hubbers feel due to the negative treatment they are getting from the Adsense Program.

Will the changes you are talking about change this perspective some?

27. shafmasta profile image57
      shafmastaposted 12 years ago

How about placing more links to other hubbers hubs on our articles. This is what also provides free backlinks to another hubbers article. If we all do this then we can increase pageviews for everybody.

28. bluestandish profile image73
      bluestandishposted 12 years ago

how does it really work- i mean the hp ads. do i get payed when my page is viewed or only when my ad is clicked.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)