Subjective Truth vs Objective Truth

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (232 posts)
  1. emrldphx profile image59
    emrldphxposted 12 years ago

For those who are interested, I am putting together a primer on the difference between subjectivity and objectivity. Much of the disagreement in this forum is due to confusion between the two. We'll start with a comparison of the definition of the terms.

Subjectivity

Subjectivity is a personal process, and as such, subjective truth is also personal. There is no method, mechanism, or process, by which one can project their own subjective knowledge onto another person. Let's demonstrate this with two examples.

These two can discuss their feelings, experiences, and knowledge with each other, and perhaps both of them will gain a greater understanding of the others' point of view. Perhaps one of them will change their point of view. The point is, discussion between differing models of subjective knowledge is ok. It works, and it doesn't have to hurt anyone's feelings.

I'm not trying to make a statement here about Diety vs. Non-Diety beliefs, it can go either way. The point is that when you depart from the nature of subjective information, there is nothing to be gained(except the possibility of an artificially inflated ego due to putting someone else down).

Objectivity

Objectivity is a process that allows people to work together and share knowledge, as long as the process is followed. The best objective method of discovering truth is the scientific method.

Following this method, information can be discovered, shared, and experienced by anyone. Objective information is difficult to argue over.

Problems

The problem comes when people start to mix objective information and subjective information. Let's look at an example.

When something can't be considered objectively(i.e. can't be measured, detected, or manipulated), it falls in the realm of subjectivity. Trying to argue one against the other can't work. You can't change fact based on the way you feel, and you can't change the way you feel based off of facts that can't be measured or detected.

What's the point?

I think we would all be better off if we stuck to mature discussion, whether subjective or objective, without trying to irrationally try and mix the two, or put others down.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks paradigm... it's rare to find anything but sprawling drivel when I write it big_smile

2. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A useful post.
      One should not put others down; one should respect others; one way of respecting others is that one gives rational arguments for one's point of view and does not ridicule and does not deride others.

I agree completely. It's like the difference between Steve Pavlina saying everyone in any religion is either an idiot or a hypocrite, and someone stating they don't believe in Diety/religion, but that's just them.

3. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Truth is absolut .... Otherwise no thing can ever Exist.

Truth cannot ever be divided against itself.....  If it does it has become a lie and cease to be Truth,.......

Truth can be subjective and objective ONLY when the two are in total unity.
      Or we may also say Truth cannot be subjective and objective at the same time going different ways.....

Anyone who do not know These thing to be TRUE......

Do not know TRUTH and this forms the basis of endless arguments like this one.

Subjectivity vs Objectivity doesn't define two different types of truth. It defines two different ways of discovering truth.

Obviously all truth is truth, having two paths to find it doesn't change that.

1. kess profile image60

Nothing I have said negated this position....however

In rereading your post I will also say this to you.....

Objectivity alone is weak when it comes to showing the Specific nature of Truth....
          Why because Objectivity is still subjective to the observer(s).

While the Observers alone is directly Subjective to Truth.

So all Objectivity can only be directly subjective to Truth Through the subjective Observer...

So if one divides the Path to Truth into Subjectivity and objectivity it merely means that both path are merely one and the same or.....

....That one NEVER knew Truth to begin with.

This obvious answer is the latter through objective reasoning which is exactly the same as subjective reasoning...

What do you see?....

I would have to disagree about objectivity. Experimental results show the laws of nature, perfectly. Yes, we can interpret them incorrectly, but the objectivity of science is perfect. Everything else(theories, laws, formulas) is just an *attempt* to explain them. That is subjective, but any scientist worth their salt knows that.

1. kess profile image60

Can science be explain science without involving it same "laws theories and formunlaes".

If Science belongs to the scientist (feel free to twist it around if it suits you), how come the scientist still do not know Truth....... even though they supposedly approach it objectively?

Every scientific concept can and has already been disproved by the law of Life and Life alone is perfect.

I may agree with the fact that science is perfect.. but its perfection is not of itself otherwise it too would be absolute....for it changes on a daily basis.

Science can be considered as perfect only when interpreted within he context of Life, which perfectly manipulates all things for its benefits.

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I saw this thread posted last night and was too tired to say anything, however, I guess I'll just say lol lol lol lol lol

?

2. lone77star profile image74
        lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah, Cags. Forever adding nothing of value to the discussion. Such emptiness. Such a waste.

5. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The thing is....the evidence for God's existence (as some people may have already said here? ...I haven't read the entire thread..)  is based on both subjective and objective reasoning.  Mankind has both subjective and objective powers of thinking, feeling, and deduction.   Try as you might to separate the two, it won't work.

No, you must separate the two. Let's say there is this thing called spirit. It's made up of something that we can't detect. Maybe dark matter, maybe something else.

While we as a race can't detect or measure it, it can't be proven, or explained, objectively. If tomorrow we discover a spiritometer, then it would become an objective discovery.

Until then, though, it can only be discussed subjectively. The problem is when people try to put forward their subjective opinions as objective facts.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But there is evidence (overwhelming evidence!) that people have spirits.   We detect that from people's personalities, words, and even actions.
          And when a person dies, we know there's something gone besides just a physical body.

It can be considered subjective evidence, but not objective, until it can be measured empirically.

I'm not dissing subjectivity at all, or trying to say there is no such thing as Diety. I'm just saying, there could be other reasons for any current evidence of God.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, that is their personality, their words and their actions.

No, there isn't. Their biological functions simply cease to function, that is all. Nothing actually leaves the body.

2. aguasilver profile image71
          aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Taking your point a stage further, suppose we had been discussing, say television in 1890, then I guess you would agree that at that point you would have called my belief that pictures could be transmitted around the world and seen in another country instantly a subjective viewpoint.

Would TV waves be any less real, or just unknown at that time to science?

We are all 'spiritometers' everyone of us, some are tuned into the wrong spiritual wavelengths, some flick channels out of boredom, and some have their favourite channels locked on the remote control.

Some people refuse to tune in at all and deny that TV is real, never possessing the receiver to tune them into what is unseen and therefore unproven to them.

I tune in and turn on daily to my spiritual broadcasts, and therefore cannot care whether you or anyone views it as subjective by sciences rules, I just enjoy the show.

Science may catch up in time, if any scientist will pay the price of a receiver.

Yes, I would call it subjective at that point, because by definition, until something can be empirically measured by science, it can't be proven by science.

That doesn't mean I would say it is impossible. Most objective discoveries are the result of a lot of subjective thought.

I believe in spirit, but I'm not going to try and show anyone empiric proof of it, not yet.

1. aguasilver profile image71

Cool with that.... cool

lol lol

^
              The epitome of maturity.

1. Cagsil profile image70

And I'm sure that some time in your life you've laughed at something that was funny to you, but wasn't to someone else. roll

There is a big difference between laughing at something you think is funny, and bringing in your laughter as an argument against what you read.

After all, lol isn't the same as laughing... you have to hit reply, type it, and hit submit. It's intentional to try and demean someone or something.

And, that's YOUR interpretation. Good to know you're a negative individual.

Laughing hysterically at simple-minded claims of magic and mysticism is not the action of bringing in an argument, it's just plain laughter. smile

You flatter me. smile

Are you ever going to attempt to answer my questions? Or, are you just going to continue ignoring them and claiming I make no valid arguments?

You refuse to define what makes something real, and you refuse to answer my questions I pose to you about what makes things real.

I'll ask them again, just on the off chance you feel like having a reasonable discussion.

1 - Does something have to be visible in the visible light spectrum to exist?

2 - Do atoms exist?

3 - How can atoms exist if they can't be seen with visible light?

1. aguasilver profile image71

Frankly, you are wasting your time with this ghost, just look at his profile, 1,664 inane posts with no content, keeping count he has produced nearly 60 posts in the last 36 hours.... an empty vessel with no hubs, ignore him, I do.

2. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I give you kudos for trying but it will not happen. I however appreciate that you took the time to clearly define and give examples of objectivity and subjectivity. I am looking forward to seeing what others have to say about the thread. Welcome to HubPages! Be prepared and tread lightly. smile

Haha, thank you for the kudos. I understand that it won't happen, at least on a community level. But, you never know what will trigger a thought in someone's brain that will end up changing their life. This is why I love discussion and debate... it's my favorite way to open up new possibilities for both parties.

1. profile image51

Thanks and regards

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

Very Nicely Stated.

Following your objectivity model, and your model for scientific method.

I have objectively/scientifically proven the existence of God.

Thank you.

I would be very interested in your proof.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Read the Hub.

Haha, sorry, I'm new to HP, so the thought hadn't crossed my mind yet. Still working on so many things at once at this point smile

1. profile image51

I think this thread should remain here as it is.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

The op is one of the most logical, intelligent posts that I have seen in awhile.

If it was me, I'd delete it and put it in a hub.

If you do decide to do that, I'll delete my previous post as well, so as to remove the extra copy.

[edit:In fact, I'm going to go ahead and do that.]

I don't know what all the rules are, but if I were to make a hub out of this I would have to expand on it, and clarify some points that I didn't put in... I don't know if I would have to delete this or not...

Duplicate content is a major no-no around here. So you would need to delete the post if you want to use it in a hub.

Well... I'm not sure, honestly. I guess I have a time limit for making changes.

It's not really the kind of thing I envisioned writing hubs on at this time...

Lol.

For future reference, the last I heard we have a "poster's remorse" 3-hour time limit to change/delete posts. When HP set that, I don't think they even envisioned me using it for my "should have put that in a hub" remorse. big_smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

I've done it myself. I just replace it with <post deleted to be used as part of hub> or some such nonsense. smile

6. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

On your comment:

Logic IS science

log·ic [loj-ik] noun
    1.the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.

2.a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.

3.the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.

4.reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions: There wasn't much logic in her move.

5.convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness: the irresistible logic of the facts.

I guess I'll respond here rather than in your comments.

I don't consider logic a science, but I guess some do. The definition I think of most would be similar to:

LOGIC
      Reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.

My problem with calling logic 'science', is how do you apply the scientific method? What is there in reasoning itself, that can be measured and tested. I consider it more of a tool of science, used in the stages of forming hypothesis and drawing conclusions from data.

Actually the definition I provided is straight from dictionary . com.
        It is the correct definition.

Measured and tested... You are assuming only physical things can be tested and measured. To you only physical touch is valid.

Concepts, Ideas can also be tested and measured. The tools are different, but the testing is no less valid.

I know there are multiple definitions for things... we can use that definition. Even still, it's not something that can be subjected to the scientific method, which is extremely important to me.

Logically, I think it is a great argument. big_smile

Then what you believe to be the scientific method is flawed, incomplete. Again the scientific method is not exclusively the physical.

Actually, the scientific only deals with things that can be measured. If you can't measure something, you have to use something else to deal with it. That's where subjectivity comes in.

If we developed a technique for measuring, let's say, the power of prayer, then prayer would start to move from a subjective topic to an objective topic.

Physical measurement isn't the only type of measurement.

Truth can be measured, scientifically. Using facts and Logic is the way truth is scientifically measured.

Tell me, how do you measure logic and apply it to the scientific method?

Logic is the measure.

What you asked is how you measure the inch and apply it to the scientific method.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

I read your profile. How in god's name do you know what god wants? Did he call you, drop you a note, send you a fax, what?

A little defensive there aren't you?

About what? And nice try; you dodge the question and attack the questioner.

Kind of sad really... I was really hoping for a sincere answer, but I guess it is not to be.

I guess I know all I need to know about Mikel G Roberts. Enjoy your dodge ball game. And keep attacking those questioners; otherwise, you might actually have to engage in some self-examination. And we certainly don't want that, do we?

What's really sad is that I actually liked some of your hubs and wanted to talk with you about them. I liked some of the things you said. Oh, well. Bye.

To use your words:   
                    ...nice try; you dodge the question and attack the questioner.

Kind of sad really...

2. profile image51

I agree with you. logic is art of reasoning;science makes its use as a common tool; but of itself it belongs to artsa and is not science.

2. profile image51

Logic preceded science; it is more concerned with arts .

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never in all my 6o+ years as an artist heard the word logic applied even remotely to the arts, in any form.  Please elaborate.  With the exception of the previous argument where 'a system of principles and methods is employed in the performance of a set of activities' thereby being referred to as 'the art of reasoning', there is no art in logic.  Logic itself studies reasoning.  I could 'reason' that blue and yellow make green because every time I mix blue and yellow, I get green.  It's therefore logical to assume this.  But the nature of art itself, at least when referring to painted or sculptural art, is man's effort to imitate life or nature by arranging mediums to create.  In this sense, I suppose logic does come into play.  Most 'chaos' 'artists' are generally not accepted by the juries because they are too difficult to 'see'.  So art, then, remains subjective.

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Who exactly would be in need of a hub, or for that matter a thread about the dictionary definitions of two common words?

Is this aimed at primary school children?

Nice to see you here Earnest smile

You were part of my inspiration, from our discussion last night(yesterday for you) where you were trying to define my beliefs by your beliefs.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is perspective for you. I thought I was separating fact from fantasy. smile

8. emrldphx profile image59

We're obviously not going to get anywhere going back and forth like this. We just have to agree to disagree on whether or not logic is objective or subjective.

No, we don't. You can point out a flaw in my logic that I can't refute, like I've been doing to yours. Or we can do what you're wanting and allow you to continue to believe the correctness of your incorrect conclusions.(Which is what most people choose).

You haven't pointed out flaws in my logic that I can't refute. I have pointed out ones you haven't.

If you can objectively test concepts and ideas, then it should be possible to objectively prove or disprove the existence of Diety. It's not. Your first post said you followed my explanation of objective/subjective, but you didn't. You have used subjective proof. There is no phenomenon in logic that you can measure. There is nothing you can experiment with. Logic is a way of thinking, which is by definition, personal. Once you can lay out your way of thinking for us to experiment and measure, then we'll talk objectivity.

Again, you defined logic as 'what isn't illogical'. You can't define something with itself.

Lastly, here's this for your thought. The scientific method relies on empirical observation. In other words, things that can be observed with the senses, not things based off of feelings or reasoning.

I'm sorry, I just have to end it here unless you learn a little more about the scientific method. You can't use logic as a form of proof in the scientific method... you can use it to try and explain things, but not as the proof.

In other words, you can't scientifically prove the existence of god using logic.

You can only logically prove the existence of god(or try to, at least).

roll

It is and I have.

Got Proof? My proof is supplied in the hub. However simply put, for there to not be a Supreme Being, there could not be any beings in existence.

Again assigning your assumptions as truth doesn't make them the truth. Got Proof that things are the way you say they are? If my proof was subjective then with me out of the equation it would no longer be true. But my personal experiences and subjective feelings aren't what constitutes the proof. No where in the proof are my intuition or gut feelings used as proof.

No. I supplied the definition of Logic from dictionary . com. This is a misquote on your part that was in answer to a question you posed.

Then I would love to see the spaceship that Einstein took to outer space and proved that Relativity was true. You know the ship that couldn't go faster than light speed. Yea, that one.

lol

I'm sure Einstein will be sorry to hear this, as his greatest discovery was proven in just this manner. Glad you're around to set us straight.

Einstein didn't prove relativity with thought experiments. He proved them with real experiments. Nobody would accept a theory with no foundation in verifiable experimentation.

I'm getting tired of this back and forth with you. I didn't mis-quote you. I quoted you.

Go learn about the scientific method, and tell me how logic can be used as empirical observation. Do that one thing, and we'll talk.

Sure thing Boss... Thanks for Playing roll

9. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

You are out of date - there is no such thing as objective, everything is subjective.

Science is dead?

1. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No - just subjective.  It doesn't change many of the conclusions but it does change observed phenomena - and the only proof is that lots of people agree with the conclusion.

Science can't be subjective by definition. If you want to expound on that, feel free.

Truth can't be subjective by definition. If you want to expound on that, feel free.

2. recommend1 profile image59

Maybe you both should do some expounding on what you mean because science certainly is subjective and so is truth.

I disagree. Truth is truth, just like a fact is a fact.

Thinking incorrectly that something is true when it isn't might lead some to think that Truth can be untrue, which is of course a fallacy.

1. recommend1 profile image59

As YOU are thinking it - everything that follows is by definition subjective.

No that just proves my thoughts are subjective. Truth does not change because I think it or don't think it. Truth remains constant regardless of opinion, consensus, or the lack of either.

If in any way a truth is untrue, it isn't a truth and never was. We just mistakenly thought it was. Therefore my opinion of what is true is subjective, but the actual truth (whatever that is) is and always will be true by definition.

This is an interesting, and very subjective conversation.  I believe truth is implicitly subjective.  It falls into the category of 'as a man thinks'.  Science has created its own rules and those rules are the accepted standards by which science plays it own game.

The truth will differ for everyone.  Of course, this is based on the assumption of enlightenment for which is necessary a dispelling of archaic beliefs about visible forms of reality such as burning your feet when you walk across hot coals, for example.

10. emrldphx profile image59

Setting aside all philosophical arguments about reality...

Truth, as determined by science, comes through the scientific process, which requires an empirical observation of natural phenomenon. Empirical is objective. It is observation through the senses, as compared to thought or feeling.

Therefore, by definition, science has to be objective.

Truth can be discovered either subjectively or objectively, depending on the type of truth. Science deals with the objective. Logic and rationalism deal with the subjective.

Just because you think something doesn't mean it's necessarily subjective. Think of it this way. Objective things can be, in one form or another, physically compared with others. The length of a meter is objective, and can be physically shown to someone with a meter stick.

Subjective things can't be shared like that, because there is no physical representation of the truth. We can try and explain it and share it that way.

If you can't understand the difference between the two, then there's no point in arguing semantics when you don't understand them.

What is a meter?

It is a length of measure decided by consensus. If humanity wanted to, the length we assigned as a meter could have been twice as long or half as long as the length we settled on.

This is a truth.

saying the meter always was and is what we say it is regardless of consensus is untrue.

Lengths exist.

This is a truth.

The way we determine and classify the different lengths is subjective, and based on a consenses. Science is a measuring system. As such it is based in consenses. Truth isn't dependent on consenses, it remains unaffected by opinion or consenses.

Science may be subjective, but the truths it uncovers aren't.

Ok, I see you changed your post.

Your statements have nothing to do with the difference between subjective truth and objective truth. What we name as a 'meter' is simply semantics. The length that we call 'meter' has always been the same, but it's still objective. It's something you can actually measure. An objective truth.

The existence of Diety is subjective. There is no measurement we can make, no experiment we can undertake. It's a subjective truth/untruth.

Science *can not* be subjective. If you find truth subjectively, by definition it isn't science.

Truth is Truth. A subjective truth is an oxymoron.

No it is subjective based on a consenses. What you're trying to say (I Believe) is it is constant/unchanging.

Fallacy, Again I ask can you prove this assumption. I have proven your mistaken assumption/opinion is false. Simply restating your flawed opinion a million times will not ever force it to be true, because it isn't true and never was.

I understand this is a profound belief of yours. That you believe it profoundly however doesn't make it true if it isn't.

The definition of science:
          Science (from Latin: scientia meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. An older and closely related meaning still in use today is that found for example in Aristotle, whereby "science" refers to the body of reliable knowledge itself, of the type that can be logically and rationally explained.

You obviously don't know what subjective means Mikel. Go back and read your definitions from your favorite online dictionary. Subjective truth includes truth found through reasoning and personal experience... I would consider it ignorant to say it is impossible to discover truth with subjective methods.

I'm saying that the actual length, not the word, of a meter, would be the same if we called it a pugwar, or 2 tingbals. The word doesn't make the thing, it just explains it. The length is the truth. 'Meter' is just a word to represent the truth.

But the fact that you can have an object that is 1 meter and show it to others, they can measure it themselves, makes it objective. It is empirical = objective.

Again, you don't understand what subjective means. You can't prove something that is subjective to someone else. If you could, it would be objective. Seriously, do yourself a favor, and learn what the words mean. I can't prove it to you, neither can you disprove it to me.

I find it very funny that you didn't use the definition of science from your beloved dictionary.com, which according to you is the right definition.

Your 'definition' includes Aristotle's kind of science, which is over 2300 years old. Your 'definition' came from wikipedia big_smile

Besides, all science uses the scientific method. I've defined that very clearly for you. If you can't do an empirical test, it can't be objective.

Taking my discussion with Emile R and Cagsil and replacing thier questions/comments with your different questions/comments ....Pathetic  roll

No Mikel, I was replying to everything I had missed when I was out of town.

I would like you to actually address those things, instead of call them pathetic... but you won't. You want to use a 2300 year old definition of science, 'prove' God with a definition that has nothing to do with diety, and only use real definitions when they suit you. If they don't you grab a section of wikipedia

2. emrldphx profile image59

Maybe if I only address 1 point at a time?

Where should all definitions come from? Dictionary.com, as you argued earlier?

1. profile image51

I add here.

Dictionaries and definitions of the words and terms change when the knowledge of human beings increases or decreases.

3. profile image0
                Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pathetic? Come'n Mikel. There is nothing pathetic about people disagreeing. It's life. Especially when it comes to philosophy and religion.

I have a question. You swear your proof would help identify a Supreme Being. Do you agree that the being identified as'Supreme' would not necessarily be agreed upon?

He's just trying to make a stretch based off a false definition. According to Mikel, if the universe had 1 snail and 1 human, that would make the human God.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

hmm

1. profile image0

smile So, I take it you see the weakest link in your proof also. Now we're on the same page, somewhat.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

You're both correct, imo.  What was once subjective, the deciding of the length of the meter, is now an accepted objective standard.  Theoretically, the subjectivity of the creating of the standard was once open to opinion and concensus.  Now it is necessarily not.

11. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Scientific measure cannot be subjective.

12. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Interesting OP. Recommend1 is right. Everything is subjective. You can be as objective as possible on anything; but the end conclusion is always subjective. And that is the problem with a spiritual argument. Since you posted this in the Religion and Philosophy section I think it is pertinent to remember that the objectivity of the spiritual advocate  is not only in question, it can never be proven; no matter how well spoken the spiritual person might be.

You are being subjective about personal experience. Experience that cannot be observed by anyone but you. The spiritual person is expecting others to take their words at face value. Those who don't tread lightly will be ridiculed, and I think rightly so at times.

As I said, interesting OP; but the points are out of place when it comes to religion. Imo.

roll By this logic Objective is subjective.

Not liking the Truth doesn't make it untrue.

1. profile image0

I think, the point is that a spiritual conversation cannot claim truth. Only your perception of it. No one can prove anything. We argue otherwise because of ego.

I disagree, my proof of the existence of the Supreme Being is logical and rational. It is not affected by my personal subjective thoughts or beliefs. That is why it is scientifically sound proof.

1. profile image0

I enjoy, and agree with, many things I've seen you post. Your 'scientific proof' doesn't fall into that category, simply because I find it difficult to understand why you can't see that this is no proof. Anyway, we've been round the block with that one. No point in attempting to see this eye to eye.

Me Too! smile

Your inability to "understand why I can't see that this is no proof" is simple, because it is proof by every definition.

My proof does fall into the category of 'scientific proof' as illistrated by the definition of science:

Science- (from Latin: scientia meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. An older and closely related meaning still in use today is that found for example in Aristotle, whereby "science" refers to the body of reliable knowledge itself, of the type that can be logically and rationally explained.

True, if someone decides to ignore the truth even when presented with proof, then there is nothing left to do but sigh and allow them to believe what they want, no matter how illogical and irrational that belief might be.

*Sigh*  hmm

1. profile image0

Hhmmm.  It appears you are now taking your cues on interacting (while not sharing conclusions) from a few other hubbers.

You be careful out there among them atheists. smile

Deleted

1. profile image0

Ok. I'll ask as politely as possible...... Does anyone, other than people who want to believe, agree that your proof is really a proof? That's what I mean by not coming to the same conclusions. Other than that, your reaction to those who disagree is the same. Somewhat condescending. smile

Wow, Mike.  You make a good argument for science and the existence of god.  (At least I think that's what you were trying to do.)  I believe that 'truth' exists everywhere, takes many forms and is continually changing.  This is why we reach different stages at different times in our lives.  If I use a parallel universe as an example, with teen years being one and mature adulthood being the other, I can see from the older universe into the teen, whose truth is quite different from his reality.  The fact that he does not 'see' it does not mean that it does not exist.  Once the parallax occurs, however, he is amazed at what hwe once thought of as truth.

3. emrldphx profile image59

Again, using wikipedia to define science. I dare you to take that definition to any science professor and ask them to critique your proof of God.

lol If you remove all the logical fallacies, it's wonderful. lol

1. OutWest profile image57
              OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Logic and absolute proof are not the same thing.

Correct they are not the same thing, however, absolute proof can be explained through using logic. If not, then it's not absolute proof.

Absolute proof just means it is tangible.  It can be repeated or physically observed.  Things can be proven that still may not make logical sense.  Gravity exists scientifically but no one can even prove what it is or how it exists.

That's because it doesn't need to be. roll

So, your logic is thus:

Gravity exists, but cannot be shown how it works, therefore God exists because He cannot be shown... AT ALL!!!

That would only be true if logic were proven true.

Bravo! Well done!

Now, do you have a point?

I thought it was obvious.  If you use logic you could logically deduce that a Creator exists but there's still no absolute proof.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

lol Just like you can logically deduce the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists. lol

Logic by definition, if used correctly, leads you to absolute truth. You're assuming what you define as 'absolute proof' and only what you define as absolute proof is absolute proof.

So define absolute proof.

ab·so·lute [ab-suh-loot, ab-suh-loot] adjective
                    1.free from imperfection; complete; perfect: absolute liberty.

2.not mixed or adulterated; pure: absolute alcohol.

3.complete; outright: an absolute lie; an absolute denial.

4.free from restriction or limitation; not limited in any way: absolute command; absolute freedom.

5.unrestrained or unlimited by a constitution, counterbalancing group, etc., in the exercise of governmental power, especially when arbitrary or despotic: an absolute monarch.

proof [proof]noun
                    1.evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.

2.anything serving as such evidence: What proof do you have?

3.the act of testing or making trial of anything; test; trial: to put a thing to the proof.

4.the establishment of the truth of anything; demonstration.

5.Law. (in judicial proceedings) evidence having probative weight.

Proof is Proof. Lack of Proof is Lack of Proof

Simply stating "That isn't 'Absolute Proof' " is just another way of adamantly saying "I don't like it but can't dis-prove it".  Soooooo I'll come up with a stronger way of denying it which will lend weight to my unprovable and mistaken opinion. roll

I have provided Proof of the existence of a Supreme Being, only Proof that my Proof is false can dis-prove it.

So AGAIN...   Got Proof?

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Obviously if they were we wouldn't have different words. Your point is?

See above:
                  If you use logic you could logically deduce that a Creator exists but there's still no absolute proof.

3. emrldphx profile image59

It's not scientific! To be scientific you have to be able to show results through experimentation!

Using just logic, I will prove that the earth is at the center of the universe, scientifically.

I stand outside, not moving. I feel no movement. I watch the sun rise and fall. I see the stars rotated through the sky in circles. Obviously everything revolves around the earth.

And that is why reasoning is not a science.

I put it here because some people don't seem to understand *why* it's impossible to prove a subjective truth, or disprove it, to someone else.

Saying that everything is subjective, I think, is only reasonable in the sense of throwing our entire existence into possibly being fake(butterfly's dream). If we assume we are real, then objectivity does exist.

Yes, it is possible for the conclusions made after an experiment to be subjective, but the results aren't. They are completely objective. They can be measured and repeated and compared by others.

If people realize that spiritual experiences *are* subjective, then it opens the door to discussion and sharing ideas, rather than argument.

13. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years ago

I so agree with you. My subjective opinion agrees that you make sense. My objectivity tells me that you have stated fact!  Awesome! smile

Thank You. Sincerely.

Actually Mikel, she wasn't addressing you. She was addressing the OP. lol

Oh.  sad

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
            Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mikel,

Yes! I was adressing you. and the OP. They are both right in my object and subjective opinion and fact! smile
            hugs! Cagsil, smile)

hmm ...But ...I disagree with the op...   hmm?

The op in my opinion is an oxymoron...truth isn't subjective. Truth is Truth.

Subjective Truth is an oxymoron.  hmm

(but while I thought you were talking to me <for those 4 seconds> it did make me feel good smile) so Thanks.

14. paradigmsearch profile image60

This thread is awesome! smile smile smile

If participants are willing to include Boolean Logic in their discussions, it will weed out the inadequate in nothing flat. The dodgers/debaters will become readily apparent and will be ignored. True discussions can then take place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_al … 28logic%29

Of course, that would not be as much fun. big_smile

That'll certainly explain the universe in all of its awesome complexities to those who abide by Boolean principles.  Let's hope there will always be a Galileo in the crowd.

15. paradigmsearch profile image60

Unable to find responses to my last three inquiries; oh, well.

Some responses just do not compute.  As you are of the Boolean crowd, let me put this another way.  Many have never heard of Boolean logic and fewer understand it.  Not an argument for or against just an observation.  As for Galileo, he was thought of as 'inadequate' for his beliefs and findings in his day.    wink

It's ok, paradigm.  I don't expect you to assimilate into my world any more than I can expect myself to assimilate into yours. cool

16. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

I don't have to prove that a man has blonde hair in a proof that the man is a man. I just have to provide proof that he has the correct chromosome(spelling?). That information alone is enough to prove the man is a man.

Saying that unless I also prove 'it' has blonde hair, a beard, 435 freckles, two dogs, 7 inches of manhood, and the ability to reproduce and anything less than that means the chromosome proof isn't proof, is fallacy. That is what your asking for and what I won't provide.

Being the best by definition makes that entity the supreme being, the supreme being is a definition of the concept God. This is proven, the rest(omnipotence, creator of all, etc.) may or may not be true and we can't prove it either way... that in no way makes the proof less of a proof.

Even if you say it does.

1. profile image0

And that is another problem with your'proof'.  It's all arguable. God, by definition, would be agreed upon as being God. You say Being the best by definition makes that entity the supreme being, the supreme being is a definition of the concept God.

If you remember correctly, the last time we discussed this; we couldn't reach a consensus on how to determine what was best. I said it was impossible and you refused to explain how you would categorize things. It's a foolish argument. Even if we both decided to work our way up to a 'best of the best' we wouldn't agree, so the thing I labeled god wouldn't be the same thing you did..

All you are proving is that you think you have a way to thin down the possibilities of what might be able to be  agreed upon as labeled a supreme being, but only between a couple of people. It doesn't prove god.

That is because a consensus to what quality makes the best, best is irrelevant.

and just like i said the last 4,764 times... The inability to prove that thing right over there is the best does not disprove the existence of a best.

I have proven that a best exists, that is all that is needed.

Again you are back to your stance of "NO!" unless you can also prove it has blonde hair, a beard, 435 freckles, two dogs, 7 inches of manhood, and the ability to reproduce then you haven't proved it is a man, and anything less than that means the chromosome proof isn't proof. Because I say so! So there!!!  hmm

roll  Puh...leeeze...

1. profile image0

Umm, the 'you have to believe because I say so' argument belongs to you. You want to believe you've made a point. You don't need my permission to believe anything. I'll leave you to it. smile

AHHhhhh alone at last...imagowatchtv... smile

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you follow the Seven Hermetic Laws, according to the one on polarity, every truth is half false, and every falsehood is half true.

lol lol

Really? Can you elaborate?

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
            Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's from the Kybalion and the Emerald Tablet of Hermes. I had a feeling Cagsil would get a laugh from it.

17. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

I have always found it easier to believe something which has real evidence to back it up, rather than believing something because it makes me feel better, or something based entirely upon my subjective experience.  Because the human mind can get things terribly wrong, and has a habit of making things fit with the reality it has created for itself.  However, recent cases, where science has made a U-turn on previous understanding, makes it obvious that science is an evolving process.  For instance, after decades of medical scientists telling us that salt should not be added to food, new evidence shows that people who put salt on their food have a lower chance of having a stroke.  And it is not uncommon for different scientists using the same methods, to reach opposite conclusions. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne … 622751.stm

1. lone77star profile image74
      lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point, @Wilfion. Certainly the human mind can make mistakes.

But faith will never happen if we don't try. Being afraid because it is initially subjective will only act as a barrier. This is the child who never attempts to crawl because they cannot yet run.

Belief is perception (effect), while true faith is creation (cause). And nothing is more objective than pure creation. All of physical reality is based upon it. All of the objective reasoning of science comes after (is subservient to) creation.

As for health, science has become a slave of greed, brainwashed by a machine of greed. The same greed that people are revolting against on Wall Street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnaBG177VIw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK1MOMKZ8BI

And the machine is being challenged.

18. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

@emrldphx, good ideas, but legislating mature discussion and good manners is an impossibility.

Perhaps all we can hope for is to hold a public forum like this, expect anyone and everyone to crash the intelligent discussion, and for us merely to ignore the really lame and awful noise when it presents itself.

In the meantime, thanks for opening up such a wonderful discussion.

Yeah, it makes me want to run my own forum for stuff like this... maybe I will, I've got an idea for a large project that would go along with the idea well smile

It is possible for the mature to continue the conversation among the rest... I just wonder if it doesn't drive a lot of the people you and I would like to talk to away.

1. profile image51

Whenever you start a forum of your own; please do inform me. I will happily become a member to write and learn.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

I, for one, wholeheartedly would promote and encourage this move. Please do all you can to action paarsurrey's request at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

19. emrldphx profile image59

Dictionary.com

GOD - the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.

Since you don't seem eager to answer my question, I'll answer it for you. You stated that dictionary.com is the only place to get the correct definition for a term. You have God defined erroneously.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)