Easy Check to Find Plagiarizing HUBs

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Don Fairchild profile image71
    Don Fairchildposted 12 years ago

Plagiarized HUBs have occurred in the past and will most likely occur in the future.  If you are angry enough to stop this illegal activity, you can put a stop to it now.

Recently an illegal site was shut down while plagiarizing numerous HUBs.  A simple way to find out if your articles are being plagiarized is to set up an automatic Google search of a unique phrase that exists in one of your hubs. Goggle provides for automatic daily searches and sending the results to you via email.

For instance, one of my hubs has this rather unique phrase in it, "Driving south east we should pick up US 76 just into northern Georgia".  If you were to put that phrase including the quote marks into the Google search engine, Google will then find your article in Hubpages.com.  Also if anybody has copied your article that copy will also show up as the offending site.

Once discovered you may then report the site and expose them.

1. pinkdaisy profile image62
      pinkdaisyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is another great tool ---> www.copyscape.com

2. capricornrising profile image60
      capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I found what Don is referring to:

http://www.google.com/alerts

Pretty darn cool.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's great thanks so much capricorn lol

2. melbel profile image95
        melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Holy cr*p that's convenient!

Check this post I created - Is it actually possible?
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/89188

1. melbel profile image95

No, it's easily circumvented. I could do it myself in less than a minute.

Ya I realised from the other comments there smile And could you do it? I mean we can't edit HTML or anything so where do you add scripts

1. melbel profile image95

No, I mean I could circumvent click-disabling software myself in less than a minute.

2. barryrutherford profile image76
          barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use that for alerting me news on my favourite topics

1. IzzyM profile image88
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here! If I used that for all my hubs my mail box would be always full!!

I have a hub about all the shark attacks worldwide in 2011. But to keep it up to date I had to set up a Google Alert. Only trouble was, I kept getting posts too about US football because of some teams called sharks LOL

Don Fairchildposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Izzym

You can eliminate unwanted articles in your google search by using the minus sign in your search.  For instance to find sharks with out the San Jose Sharks, you could enter this into the search without the quotes "sharks -jose".

This will give you a list excluding anything with Jose in the article.

1. IzzyM profile image88

oh Thanks!

I didn't know that - very useful smile

3. profile image0
        Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great advice, Don! I've known about this method for quite a while not, but this is great advice for people just starting off in the crazy writing world. big_smile

4. Don Fairchild profile image71

Wow, such a response!!  Thanks all.
        I use Google alerts to do a variety of monitoring, including checking on my articles for copying.  I also watch real estate property values in my area using alerts in the news section of Google.

Anyhow the easiest way to learn about Google Alerts is to do a Google search for "Google alerts" and there is a lot of information for you to read and learn about alerts.  The searches run automatically every day and will send you an email if anything is found.  "Great way to see if your kids got arrested the night before!  HA HA..."

Best to you...

5. Don Fairchild profile image71

I have been doing some research about this copying problem since I mentioned the Google Alerts situation.   
        I am amazed at how really bad this situation is happening on HubPages.  I found multiple articles from some of our top writers all over the places and even translated into foreign languages.
        This might explain why Congress is trying to pass a bill that will stop all this plagiarism while putting some teeth into punishing these people.... 

All this torment so that some terrorist groups or other low life people can make a couple of bucks off of our writing.   It just has to stop.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Most of the writers here are still seeing Google love, and so their hubs remain at the top with all the copiers underneath.

When I was searching the other day for copied hubs on one site, it was really easy to find most of them as their hubs were on top in search, which is as it should be.

Mine, on the other hand, were sometimes on the second or third page of Google while all the copiers enjoyed success at my expense.

It is very disheartening to say the least.

2. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If your are referring to SOPA? then you are in the clouds

http://blogs.cio.com/security/16705/sop … oesnt-care

titles rarely actually illustrate the contents and purpose of american legislation, remember the USA PATRIOT act , lol (Uniting (and) Strengthening America (by) Providing Appropriate Tools Required (to) Intercept (and) Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001)

If you are referring to some other bill where for some reason American Government gives a damn about non-entities getting their works copied by other non-entities then I apologize ... if your talking about the current news topic of SOPA ... please dont spread any support for this foolishness and it doesnt do what you think it does

Please excuse the typo about SOPA.  I don't endorse the current SOPA legislation at all, as a matter of fact the government is way too involved in our lives.

What I was referring to was the need to put teeth into the punishment of copyright pirates.  There is no real punishment for this kind of activity.  The net effect is that the good writers will just give up and go about another business after a while.

6. sweetzara profile image75
        sweetzaraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Don for the info. Thanks to your post I googled one of my tub titles and to my surprise I found that someone had copied my entire hub and published it under there name! I was eventually able to get them to delete it!

Good for you, I am glad that we have some ammunition to stop this copying activity.... 
          Don

2. capricornrising profile image60

Well done, sweetzara!

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years ago

This has been a known method for finding copied content for many years now.

4. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 12 years ago

But its always good to have reminders for all the new users that werent around for many years now :p

Great Share, OP!

Great Contribution to the thread relache :p

1. fairchdr profile image60
        fairchdrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Pinkdaisy, relache, sunforged for your replies.
        I know that this is a rather basic solution that most people would know about.   Since I have worked many years in the computer industry, I have found that all computer users have a huge variation in their understanding of how computers (Google) work.  Have seen it all....
        I will check out the copyscape.com site as well. 
        By the way, I didn't mention this, but the google script I use runs by itself each day, so I don't have to rerun the search everyday.
        Enjoy all.
        Don

Could you explain the automated process? How do you get them auto? I use copyscape once a week as it's more than enough for now

1. homesteadbound profile image81
            homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lobobrandon - do you mean how is it automatic to set up a google alert?

Hi, doing a google alert can be set up in the google widget section. 
              Just get on google and search for "Google alerts" the help files there will show you how to set up an automatic internet search each day.

This discussion has created a lot of interest, so I am going to publish a HUB to explain all this Alert stuff.

Don

5. leahlefler profile image96
      leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Actually, I am grateful for this information - I didn't realize that an automated search could be set up on Google (I'm still in a steep learning curve). Thanks for the heads-up, Don!

6. profile image0
      twodawgsposted 12 years ago

I have known about Google Alerts for some time, but wasn't aware of this particular application of it.  I appreciate the tip.

7. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Thanks, Don, for the reminder.  I have found my best hubs copied by these sites

<links snipped by request of Rosie2010>

using the basic solution you mentioned.  I am way past infuriated.. copied word for word with images.  Filing DMCA complaint every time our articles are copied is frustrating, but it seems it's the only way to go about it.

I've been using Copyscape, it helps but it is not enough. You said...

"By the way, I didn't mention this, but the google script I use runs by itself each day, so I don't have to rerun the search everyday."

Would you please share with us how you do this?

That's exactly what I asked him smile
        I'm waiting for him to return big_smile Our new teacher lol

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
          Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, Brandon, that would be very helpful if the OP could share how to do this.  I'm very frustrated that all my best hubs are copied so many times.. no wonder my traffic dropped from 2000 to less than 200 views a day!  What da!!!!!!

2. Rosie2010 profile image68

Yes, Brandon, that will surely help if he would share.  I'm very frustrated that my best hubs have been copied so many times.  No wonder my traffic went from 2000 to less than 200 views a day.  What da!!!! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Unhappy/cursing-045.gif

That's crazy!! Traffic dying due to some losers!

ALL my best hubs have been copied numerous times, Brandon.  I am busy submitting DMCA complaints but I'm pretty sure these losers will just open a new blogspot account.  (sigh)  They are copied almost word for word including images.

1. prairieprincess profile image92
                prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just checked there and the front page was hub was copied directly from Hubpages. I am now checking for more. My traffic has dropped to almost nil, now, from 1000/day. This is really getting tiring.

2. lobobrandon profile image87

I was asleep.. Rosie, I guess we should form a thread for DCMA complaints and we should all flood those people that way the sites will go down faster. They'll eventually get fed up of copying, but there are always new people out there.

Thanks, Brandon, Just Ask Susan just posted a thread about this site.

1. IzzyM profile image88

I found some copied stuff of your on another site Rosie - I posted about it on another plagiarising thread.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/88998#post1902105

Thanks Izzy, ALL my best hubs had been copied word for word by several sites.  I'm so frustrated right now.

2. Stacie L profile image87
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rosie;
        you would think that Google would restrict or stop copied work on their own Blogger sites...roll

Yes, Stacie, I just found two more blogspot accounts that copied my hubs.. copied including images.  It is very frustrating to say the least. mad

8. prairieprincess profile image92
      prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

The whole site seems to be Hubpages articles! I am notifying those that I recognize, in case they haven't seen this one. Scum.

9. fanfreluche profile image76
      fanfrelucheposted 12 years ago

There used to be an easy (and very visible way) to flag a blog hosted on blogger? I cannot find that button anymore?

10. fanfreluche profile image76
      fanfrelucheposted 12 years ago

And their other website is hosted by http://www.ixwebhosting.com/
      If you want to send DMCA notices.

11. Pamela N Red profile image85
      Pamela N Redposted 12 years ago

Y'all might want to check this website. It appears to be mostly copied articles from people and many of them are here on HubPages.

http://most-popular-articles.blogspot.com/

Yes, Pamela, I found ALL my best hubs copies by that site, and I noticed some from other hubbers too.  I've been busy filing for DMCA complaints since yesterday.

2. Stacie L profile image87
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

did this website owner think by titling this site an  "article directory' that they could copy anything they wanted?

12. Don Fairchild profile image71
      Don Fairchildposted 12 years ago

I have been looking into this "article directory" situation.  In one case an article was shown about "Increasing Hub Scores", so I thought that this seemed to be an obvious copy situation.
      I did go into the HTML/Java code to look at some of the hidden code parameters in the article.   Now this example gave credit to the original Hub author, but in fact there were links in the code indicating that it came from a Hub page originally.
      Some thoughts bother me though, as this might be a legitimate republishing of an article by the original author, (with permission?) or it might just be stolen.
      Anyhow, more investigation is on my plate, perhaps a Hub article explaining this might be a good thing for all of us. 

Don

I just checked one of my hubs copied by that site, Don, and here's what it says..

"Friday, 18 November 2011 by: Admin"

I am NOT "Admin"

I hear you Rosie, it looks like (he/she) has different methods for copying articles. Sometimes they give author credit but most times it is just plain stolen.
          Anyhow, I am glad to introduce a good tool to catch these robbers.  Good luck with the sleuthing on the internet.
          Don

Thank you so much, Don.  Although I've been here on Hubpages for over a year now, I'm still very naive and sometimes overwhelmed by the internet.

13. charliegrumples profile image39
      charliegrumplesposted 12 years ago

mm time to find a unique phrase to stick in my articles from now :-)

1. capricornrising profile image60

Exactly what I was thinking. Don't want to be swamped with alerts!

Yes, I think I will do that as well.  Great idea!

14. Man from Modesto profile image81
      Man from Modestoposted 12 years ago

If a hub gets copied to another site, even by the owner, won't it show on hubpages as a duplicate?

1. capricornrising profile image60

Yup.

15. Ms57Classic profile image60
      Ms57Classicposted 12 years ago

I have always been a bit worried about sharing my work via the internet.  I never though of using google to find someone who could be passing off my work as their own. Thanks for the information.

Ms57Classic
        Enjoy the technique, this is a good way to stay ahead of the crooks.

16. moiragallaga profile image76
      moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

Excellent forum with very useful advice from everyone. Thanks everyone for sharing your valuable insights. I'm not too familiar with the technical side of things on computers and the internet so all these information and tips being shared here are very helpful to me.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.
        I have published a Hub article on this subject at this link,
        http://hubpages.com/t/2c4e8a

And it explains how to run the search automatically each day. 

Enjoy.
        Don

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)