jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

The IMPORTANCE of Money & Wealth

1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 6 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13221941.jpg
    Why money & wealth should be viewed as THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of living?    Money & wealth determines the type & quality of life humans have.   The scale of money & wealth is a very strong determinant as to whether one's quality of life is excellent, mediocre, &/or even hellish.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?  An unanswerable question as it is based on the lie that money is more important than health, than love, than anything else in our lives.  It isn't, so asking why it should be viewed as just that is a fallacy.

2. GNelson profile image84
      GNelsonposted 6 months ago in reply to this

If you worship money then you don't care about the environment or the people.  You can't live with just money.  You need air and water and food.  Our country is destroying the air, water and food.  Humans will not survive in a destroyed environment.

2. colorfulone profile image89
    colorfuloneposted 6 months ago

"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~  Marcus Aurelius

3. Marisa Wright profile image95
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 months ago

I think it's a matter of degree, and also what your needs are.

Of course money is important, life is pretty miserable without it.    I have enough money for a decent apartment and food on the table, and I think I have a pretty good life.  On the whole, I'm happy.

If I had more money - yes, I would be happier, because I could do some extra things that would bring me extra joy, like traveling more. And it would remove the occasional worries that we all have, like will my retirement savings last as long as I do.  But I wouldn't need a LOT of extra money.

I once had a friend try to recruit me for Amway.  She started out by showing me pictures of a BMW and asked me, if there was an easy way to have this car instead of your old Lancer, would you do it?  I said no, my car does the job.  She showed me a brochure for a very exclusive beachside resort and said, wouldn't you love to be able to vacation there?  I said no, I'd be bored stiff. 

She didn't give up, saying "I'm sure you need extra money for something" and went on to show me how, for just a few hours a week, I could earn extra income in my spare time.  I said, but my "spare" time is when I live my life.  Are you suggesting I should give up my life for the next several years, so that I can afford a few shiny things in the future?   I might get run over by a bus next week, so I'd rather live now, thank you.

I think nowadays, too many people judge their happiness based on what other people think of them.  So they give up simple pleasures to earn money for the big house, the fancy car, the expensive vacations - not because they actually enjoy those things, but because they need that feeling of being "better" than other people.  Which is sad.

4. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 6 months ago

After a certain point money stops being about material comfort and even status, it starts to be about power over others.

And as a historian once said 'Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men'.

working