jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

What is more important?

1. rajan jolly profile image89
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

What is more important?

A life well lived or a life with material wealth, and why?

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

If there can only be one, then "a life well lived", truly.

But does one negate the other?  Not necessarily.  It is the LOVE of money, not money itself, that is acknowledged to be "the root of all evil" (though I could name a few other things that might give money a run for its...uh...money.

3. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Wealth is often squandered and wasted..........

Let me,  make use of what I have been given.

4. awordlover profile image84
    awordloverposted 6 years ago

People who win lotteries say that living with the wealth enables them to have a life well lived. But history has shown that winning the lottery has been more of a hardship and a curse for many. My husband often wishes to win the lottery, plays faithfully, and plans accordingly what he will do if he wins the millions.  Because he is now retirement age, he thinks it will happen soon, because here in our state a lot of retirees win the lottery. LOL  But I'm from the school of thought that if it doesn't happen, then there is a good reason. For him (and me) it would be wonderful to have material wealth, to be able to help so many causes that we champion. But I think it would ultimately end up destroying the life we have built the last 40 years. Because disagreements may ensue as to what to spend, how much is being spent and how fast, and long range plans become skewed.

So I think a life well lived is a proud accomplishment as opposed to a life with material wealth (no matter how you came into that wealth - inheritance, working hard, winning it, etc.). Wealth changes people who did not have it all along. People who grew up with it have certain "arrogance" about them (IMHO) and certain expectations to go along with it. People who have lived their lives well tend to have a different (higher) degree of self esteem than those who have material wealth.  No scientific theory here, just opinion.  Readers, please don't bite my head off. :-)

5. profile image0
    SusieQ42posted 6 years ago

The Bible tells us that the love of money is "the root of all evil."  Not that I don't like money, because I need it to survive, BUT putting it first above God, above family, friends and enjoying life is not good.

6. profile image49
    Laraib Ghaffarposted 6 years ago

Well lived life.. Poor people also live happily. The manners of living can make a person's life wonderful, without having much wealth.  A life of contentment with what one possesses, is much better than restless living, in crave of wealth all day and night, having no leisure time.

7. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 6 years ago

This depends on the individual. What you deem important is your own opinion and it will vary from person to person.

8. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

The ideal would be a life well lived with material wealth.  However, a life well lived with good physical heath, loving relationships, peace of mind and a sense of personal fulfillment  is more important than having material wealth without any of the aforementioned blessings.

9. Capedium profile image79
    Capediumposted 6 years ago

It is a life well lived.. Nothing could be worth more than this.

10. Brandon Spaulding profile image54
    Brandon Spauldingposted 6 years ago

A life well lived is the most important. People can be wealth or poor or somewhere in between. All are fine. However, a life well lived can happen in any of these scenarios.

11. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

A life well lived is worth living; wealth is health.  Monetary wealth is good, but without health, ethics, and love, it's all worthless.

12. charles wade profile image58
    charles wadeposted 6 years ago

The freedom to live life well, not that the absence of freedom would prohibit us from a life well lived.  Material wealth would be secondary to either.

13. WD Curry 111 profile image61
    WD Curry 111posted 6 years ago

A life well lived may bring wealth as a by product.