Is it alright to write about mytical creatures?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (35 posts)
  1. rdsparrowriter profile image82
    rdsparrowriterposted 11 years ago

Since I'm a Christian believer, I'm wondering whether is it alright to write about mythical creatures such as pixies and fairy tales? What are the good topics to write which are suitable for kids?

1. calynbana profile image78
      calynbanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What does being a Christian believer mean to you?

rdsparrowriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A follower of Christ. I believe Jesus Christ died for me on the cross and he rose back to life. He's alive and He loves me.

As a follower of Christ why would you not be able to write about mythical creatures? You have two commandments to follow. Love God, and love other people. If your writing is not going to create a stumbling block for others, nor show ill will towards others why would you not be able to write about it?

Hmm.. it's an interesting thought. Thank you. I don't know I just wanted to know whether it's a good idea or a bad idea.

Don't worry too much about what other Christian's agree and disagree upon. Too many Christians are set upon making rules, what we should and should not do. That is not what it is about, not since Christ. There is about as much wrong with Harry Potter as there is about The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. The Bible says not to practice "magic" and become involved with the like. It does not say not to be creative and tell stories. If you feel unsure of whether you should do something or not do not turn to men for the answer, turn to God, and the Bible. What you do hear from men make sure you weigh it against the Word before trusting it. We have too many silly ideas about what is okay and what is "against" God.

I am also a Christian, and I also write fantasy, though you won't find it on Hubpages yet. I wish you all the best in your writing smile If you ever want to bounce ideas off of somebody give me a shout.

Thanks again. You are very matured and wise. I did wondered about the difference between Harry Potter and Adventures in Narnia. Why Harry Potter is considered as evil while Narnia is holy? For me, both are written by talented writers who are very creative. By the way, you sound like my mom smile She also told me that, but I wanted more opinion from others aswell. Thank you for your time smile God bless you!

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Huh?  ^:-/

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the good Lord is gonna give a hoot one way or the other what you choose to write about. He's got more important things to worry about. big_smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

As far as Hubpages is concerned, yes. 

As far as your own beliefs are concerned, only you can answer that.

Thank you smile

3. Sunny River profile image59
    Sunny Riverposted 11 years ago

First off, Amen to your last comment.
    If it helps at all, I'm a Christian too and fantasy is all I write. That includes dragons, fairies, elves, dwarves, nixies, etc. That's why it's called fiction. Because it's not real. What's wrong with that?
    As far as what topics are good for kids, I suppose it depends on the age group and what you feel comfortable writing.

Thank you for your words. I was wondering since fairies, mermaids and stuff are magic so, whether it's good since so many christians are kind of against Harry Potter. I was adviced to write a book for kids those who are not teens.

4. Sunny River profile image59
    Sunny Riverposted 11 years ago

Also I would like to point out C.S. Lewis, a very famous Christian author who wrote about fauns and dwarves and talking animals in his children's books.

Oh thank you smile I totally forgot about that one smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

Didn't another famous author pen talking animals into his book? I think his name was Abraham, or was it Moses? No actually, Moses wrote about talking plants. Sorry.

calynbanaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you here just to troll or to add something of substance to this discussion?

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

Sorry, I just can't see how someone could call themselves a Christian, but not a dragonian or fairian or elvian or dwarfian or nixian  because they think those things aren't real.

I do not think your comment makes any sense whatsoever.

It's exactly the same thing but completely opposite.

For example, I have an invisible purple dragon living in my garage, but I am not a dragonian.

Make sense? big_smile

No. That would only work if you were using the word Christian correctly. A Christian is not somebody who believes in an invisible God. Many people do that who are not Christian. A Christian is somebody who is "Christ" like. Hense the name Christian.

So you Dragonians would have to be dragon like?

The example is ridiculous and amusing, but it is intellectually weak. You could pick an example that has some historical proof behind it say, Plato, you could be a "Platoian" (Ha there is probably a better way I could have expressed that).

There is some proof that Plato existed, and somebody could be a "Platoian". Of course the Christians would still have more historical evidence to back up their beliefs than these fictional platoian, and definitely more than the fantastical dragonians.

Wouldn't it be instead intellectually weak to limit the definition to "Christ like" when it also means one who adheres to the Christianity and the teachings of Christ, which is how I was using it.

So, to be a Dragonian, one would have to adhere to Dragonity and the teachings of the invisible purple dragon.

Notice how intellectually flexible we can be? smile

Hmm well since there is no purple dragon and no teachings of the purple dragon, and no evidence of a purple dragon the example is still quite weak.

There is evidence of the existence of Jesus, the works and teachings of Jesus, and there are people who adhere to the teachings of Jesus. You would be hard pressed to find scholars who would disagree with this fact.

If you want to use the purple dragon or the FSM you need to be mocking the idea or concept of God, you need to mock deists. Not specifically Christians for following Christ. Not one deist can prove the existence of God without a shadow of a doubt, the existence of Jesus however we can.

So to mock Christians you could choose a historical figure, I am still liking Plato for this, or you could mock Deists as a whole with your purple dragon which is really no different than the FSM.

5. To Start Again profile image70
    To Start Againposted 11 years ago

The difference between Harry Potter and Narnia mostly comes down to the message wrapped up inside them. Narnia was written for the same reasons as CS Lewis' other works- to get a message out there to readers about God.

1. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 11 years agoin reply to this

PS- God gave you the talent, He wants you to use it smile

rdsparrowriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile God bless you!

6. Sneha Sunny profile image86
    Sneha Sunnyposted 11 years ago

I don't think writing about mythical creatures is related to Christianity (or against it). Just write down. big_smile God will be happy to see you happy! wink

rdsparrowriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile God bless you!

7. orange skys profile image59
    orange skysposted 10 years ago

This is a great question. I think a lot Of Christians have asked themselves the same thing. I'm a christian as well. I think sometimes they take thinks completely out of focus. I see nothing wrong with writing fantasy. Most of the poems I write are base on something I personally when though in my life, But I'm a book worm as well I only read fantasy/Si-FY/fiction  books. Fiction is meant for enjoyment. I hope you do great and god bless.

8. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 10 years ago

There's nothing wrong with writing about mythical creatures if the goal is to approach it from the point of view that they are 'myths', not 'truth'. They can be written as a figure or symbol of the truth, as in Narnia.

About some Christians (including me) being against works such as, Harry Potter, anyone can understand why. As believers, we are created to praise God by our lives, and in all we do, and instill in our children the same biblical truth and values we have come to believe in. Books and movies of Harry Potter defeats that purpose. That's why we should be careful to do 'everything' to the glory of God.

How does Harry Potter defeat that purpose? Can children not tell the difference between fact and fiction? I do not see the difference between Harry Potter and The Lion the witch and the wardrobe. Neither book explicitly says that the creatures are not real.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amen to what you said.

And I will add that I personally have always found the Bible and the events that are there to be even more interesting than fiction!   So I guess I had little need for fairy tales and such.   I was a very serious child, though, and some people don't find that appealing;  but I see nothing wrong with it;  a child is very capable of handling the truth of the Bible and the facts of life in general at a very young age.   It didn't mean that I never had any fun,  because I did;  but it was rarely fantasy; it was simple fun with games, physical exercise like outdoor play, etc.

I rather liked the Narnia movies.   But I still prefer the Bible's stories.   I'm just a realist and place very little stock in other people's imaginations!   Nor my own!    To this day,  I prefer to read a real-life drama even if it's not very "happy"  than to read a fantasy story that doesn't challenge my mind and conscience nor rings true to reality.   I'm trying to think of one that bothered me besides the Harry Potter ones ('cause, yes, Harry Potter isn't good)..............
      ...........The Neverending Story,  I think it was.......It has no redeeming value from what I could tell.......there was a "hero" and a huge flying dog who somehow defeated "the nothingness" that was never clearly defined to start with.............

9. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

You already believe in angels, demons, imps, giants, fish that can somehow both swallow a man whole and not turn him into liquid jelly in 3 days, four-headed chimeras, an Earth-centric universe, and that dinosaurs and mankind lived side-by-side.

What's another ridiculous mythical creature or two?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)