Could you live in a 10 x 20?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (80 posts)
  1. Barefootfae profile image60
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/liz-thatch … q-ft-homes

Imagine living in a 200 sq.ft. home.
    More of the liberal dream for you and me.

1. profile image56
      retief2000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Any larger would be greedy, anti-American, unpatriotic and racist.  You must have voted for Bush.

2. profile image53
      Poodle Head Mikeyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kind of seems like a conservative dream to me.  Wouldn't a liberal dream house be bigger and wasteful?  Or am I confused about what conservative means? <g>  My house now is almost 5000 square feet but I have lived happily on a sailboat.  8" wide by 29' long - but both ends and the bottom all taper. <g>  It's probably the equivalent of 100 or so square feet of living space.  With very low ceilings. <g>

PHM
      --------

3. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some people would not mind some would no one is being forced. Mass extinctions, toxified atmosphere and massive water level rise, the conservative dream for you and me, so take your pick.

1. profile image0
        An AYMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

High-five.  Well, for logic that is... not for what it entails.

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Living in a box will solve all the problems won't it? Yep, right up to the next made up problem.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you think climate change is made up try living under the ozone hole.  Plenty of people are dying of made up melanoma thanks to other people who want to keep spraying chemicals everywhere.

2. Josak profile image60

Look if you have zero scientific or logical understanding and are utterly unwilling to accept the findings of those who do that is fine but the facts are still the facts, not only are they proven you can test global warming yourself in a greenhouse.

But I know you the guy living in Texas has a better understanding of climate science than climate scientists tongue

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends on wants, needs, circumstances (students, with children) and finances. The place one want to reside is a matter of decision factor. It is more dense in cities, check Singapore, HongKong, NY City, or London. Population density is one factor.

1. profile image0
        sarahshuihanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to agree with that! After living in China I have seen living quarters this size, and I've been grateful I've had more space. Personally I might feel claustrophobic.

5. profile image0

I'm curious why you find it a worthwhile endeavor to demonize the notion of living simply, Barefootfae.

Does it make you that upset to believe someone could be happy with that?

Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope. If that floats your boat do it.

1. profile image0

?  That neutrality of response is not the tonality in which you begin the thread.  If you didn't care about it you wouldn't bring it up in a medium meant to debate it.  Can we just, redo the question with an honest response?

I went that way because the article couches it in an environment of environmentalism. I have heard some more reasonable reasons here which is nice.

1. Josak profile image60

So when it was people making sacrifices for the very good of the earth and our children you had a problem with it but when it was for another reason it's fine? Your priorities and biases are so nonsensical.

No...
                I just don't believe in using propaganda to coerce people into making lifestyle changes they don't need to make.

1. Josak profile image60

What exactly would you know about that changes people need to make or environmental science?

If someone wants to downsize that is fine but all this about do it for the earth? No...

2. Barefootfae profile image60

This goes right along with moving everyone out of the country and making them live in apartment buildings in the city whether they wish to or not.
                    Right?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
                  Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only propaganda I saw there was the way the article was written and the comments after.

6. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I could easily, but then again I am not materialistic other than having lots of books (of which I don't anymore)  It would just be me and my dogs so that's plenty of room.  It all depends on how much space a person really needs to be comfortable. I would hope the rent would be cheap, besides think of it this way, people living on 20 hours a week at minimum wage could afford the utilities.

7. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I lived in a 8 by 15 room and share bath/kitchen. Learntto use all the space.

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Well, don't convicts live in less? tongue js

Well I guess but I have area rugs bigger than that.

big_smile

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I am quite sure the sum total of my apartment is less than 200 square feet.  Lots of room for me. Oops, actually it's 650 square feet smile Don't know why I thought it was 200. Anyway, that is a bit small for a house but if some people want to do that then more power to them. I have seen documentaries featuring very small houses and people seem to like them. I'd like to know how big the average Japanese house is.

Lovely site by the way roll

1. Hollie Thomas profile image62
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was a program on the TV a few months ago, about a project in inner London where they had converted old shipping containers into flats. They were small, obviously, but designed in such a way that there was loads of compartments for storage so stuff wasn't lying around. The kitchen was so small that the camera man couldn't get in the kitchen at the same time as the occupant, but the kitchen had everything which was needed- it was really cleverly designed and looked quite cool. I bet that was less than 200 sq ft.

4. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

As long as I can afford more than 200sqft, I'll pay for more than that.

But check this out:
    http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-home … mes-460309

Shipping container homes. Sometimes living in 200 sqft is cool tongue

1. Hollie Thomas profile image62

They look, well, very similar to the ones I saw on TV. They are cool.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Some people choose to live on canal boats in the UK. I'm fairly sure they would fit within these limits.

In the end, it depends on who you are, what you want and how you define your needs.

To a large extent, it also depends on where you live. I live in a two-storey, three-bedroom house, but the value of my house would not even buy me a space equivalent to a toilet in London!

1. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean about prices...I live in TN, I have a 3000 square foot home, here the price is very reasonable, in California it would cost a fortune, and overseas, I can't even imagine. I do not watch  much tv, but I love international house hunters on HGTV, the prices in England and Italy blow my mind!
      Fae, this liberal sure doesn't want to live in 200sq ft....I am claustrophobic!

Hee!
        It's basically the size of an outhouse!
        big_smile

1. JayeWisdom profile image89
          JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know personally about outhouses?

2. JayeWisdom profile image89

Tammy....This thread refers to climate warming and the harm that huge homes and their waste of energy and use of chemicals does to the environment. While you're enjoying your 5,000 square feet of space, you're contributing to the problem.  (Do you really need that much space, or just think you deserve it?)

1. tammybarnette profile image61

Hi Jaye, Mine is 3000, I did see someone else here say 5000, And I do see your point. I am not privy to the waste of energy associated with my modest two story home. I have 5 children so most times my home feels very small. I am a very energy conscience person. Lights off in unused rooms, short showers, unplugged chargers, etc etc...I would like to understand more about this problem. I do not feel I deserve more than anyone, but my family could never have Sunday dinners in 200sq ft....

2. Hollie Thomas profile image62

Canal boats are too narrow (she states the obvious smile ) I think, it'd be like living in a corridor. But I know what you mean about the price of property in Wales in comparison to the cities (London obviously being extortionate) I bought my first property in Caerwys, I was just 21 and I borrowed the grand total of £16,000 for a beautiful, 18th century miners cottage and a grade 11 listed building. It was tiny, and the stairs were slap bang in the middle of the tiny kitchen. But I loved it, may have been slightly over 200 sq feet, but not much.

1. profile image56
        retief2000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have never been to the UK but have watched BBC-America and PBS Mystery - a canal boat looks like a cool hide-away.

6. Keith Sutherland1 profile image61
    Keith Sutherland1posted 11 years ago

I believe I could do it if I designed and built it. I am currently planning an 800 sq ft building on some property I own. Half of that will be stalls for goats and chickens. I plan on not officially living in the other half but living there. (I would rather not explain that) With a high ceiling, a 200 sq ft house is doable, for a single person. It does lead to one small problem though, what to do with all the junk we accumulate.

The solution, Keith, is to not accumulate all that "junk."  Getting rid of clutter and downsizing is amazingly liberating!

7. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Well, lets see here.  At 12'X16' my bedroom is on smallish side for a master bedroom, but weighs in at just under 200 square feet.

Visualize adding a small kitchen range and sink, with 3 cabinets above them and a small table and chair to eat on.

Add a bathroom with shower, no tub, taking care that the door swing doesn't hit the range.

Now add in a hot water tank, small. 

Stick in a closet just big enough for 2 changes of clothing - laundry every third day will be necessary.

Push in a small computer desk, no chair.  The folding kitchen chair will suffice.  Still gotta write your hubs, you know!

Baseboard heat probably requires the least amount of room, but makes using the wall it is on problematical.

Shoes can be hung on a nail in the wall when not in use.

No dogs, no cats - a rat (small) might be OK.

No thank you - I don't think I could sleep standing up! lol

1. Keith Sutherland1 profile image61
      Keith Sutherland1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are thinking in only two dimensions wilderness. The water heater is not necessary with insta hot style water heaters. Put the bed up high with storage underneath it( I have to have a king sized bed). A lot of cooking can be done in the solar oven I built. Heating and cooling can be done by a unit mounted on the exterior. I do have the luxury of being a superintendent for a general contractor who came up the old fashioned way and can do all of this myself. it will be small though and I'm not sure the small rat would have much room. LOL

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did think of hanging the bed, but it would have to be retractable and near the center of the room.  Otherwise it would take 7' + 4' (from bottom of bed) for a ceiling height; pretty high, plus you now have to store a ladder!

Instahots are possible, just not very popular around here.  I've installed a couple, but most people don't like them.  Good point with the heat/ac; a motel type heat pump would be ideal, although it DOES take valuable wall space. 

Go ahead and get the rat; if it turns out he's too large, well, supper is served!

2. JayeWisdom profile image89

Maybe a small dog, Keith, instead of a rat....Small dogs don't take up much room, and most like to sleep with their humans and sit on their laps.

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

@ the  OP....Nope........

i wonder if that is why some folks downsize and then store their 'stuf' somewhere else...just a thought.....storage facilities could do well with folks downsizing...big_smile

Relocating "stuff" to storage facilities just costs money and continues the problem. A better answer is to donate what you don't use or need to those who do need it but can't afford to buy it. If it's worn out, toss it, but don't throw away anything that can be recycled in some way. People have too much "stuff", but it's not making them happy, but the reverse. As I said, getting rid of it (and not replacing it with more "stuff") is liberating.

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The people who are doing it are having fun and feeling good about themselves.  So why get all grinchy about it?

I have about 520 square fee.  It's plenty for me.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends an awful lot on the person.  I recently helped build a retirement complex full of apartments just under 500'.  For elderly people that didn't get out much it seems that would be just awful - don't think I could live that way.

If most of your time is away from home, though, I would find 500' perfect, with the only problem I have frequent visits from children and grandchildren, often keeping 2 to 4 overnight or for the weekend.  A combination of 2 grandparents, a 3 year old, 5 year old and 500 square feet would be a disaster! smile

1. profile image0
        SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I find smaller spaces cozier. They are also easier to maintain, leaving my time open for more enjoyable activities other than cleaning etc. These homes are not just pushed by the Green people though, most are off the grid and pushed by Conservatives. Why? So that you are not dependent on the Government, you are self-sufficient (energy wise), and can live life on your own terms. It depends on the person and their preferences. I'm not big on owning a lot of stuff, small spaces do not bother me, so it would probably be fine and dandy with me.

2. psycheskinner profile image83

I find it suits me fine and I stay home most of the time that I am not working. But it is all in the design.  It opens to a large fenced deck shared by 5 apartments so their are often kids, dogs or people playing games out there. I made zones with furniture and found it really quite ample for one person and one dog.

10. jcmayer777 profile image66
    jcmayer777posted 11 years ago

I have a cabin that's 14x16, which is just a little more square footage.  I could live in it alone and possibly with a significant other.  The bedroom is a loft, which frees up the main floor space.  It's doable, just not ideal.

11. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

We live in a 21 ft caravan as we are traveling Australia but we di eat outside most of the time .I have no desire to go back into a house !
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6604317_f248.jpg

I salute your life of freedom and adventure, freecampingaussie!

12. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

The only way I'd find it bearable is if the 200 sq foot property came with a reasonable-sized garden to grow vegetables in and just generally use as an outside living space during the summer. A 200 sq foot apartment? No thanks (not unless I had no choice in the matter).

If you want to go for the tiny house thing then that's your prerogative. But it doesn't suit everyone.

13. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

I live in a 26 foot travel trailer, and have for three years now.

Most of the work I've been doing...is wiring custom homes, homes far larger than anyone much needs.

Of course I'm single, no children....there's no room in my RV for another person to live.....but my parents own a huge RV....a monster sized one...and they could probably live in that thing if they wanted to.

I don't need much in the way of a house, but as I said, I"m single and have no children - all I need, really, is a bit of a metal building with power ran to it for use as a workshop and storage.

14. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I like my house, front yard, back yard, shed, and garage. I have a lot of stuff. I couldn't live in 200sqft; the piano would barely fit!

I don't have a problem with those who do, though. I think it's adventurous. Especially those living on boats! Trailor sounds exciting, too, but I'd rather be on a boat because it seems more private to me. I like my privacy. That's why I have a house instead of a condo or apartment tongue

1. Vista15 profile image57
      Vista15posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I want a piano.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

How about this small house?
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7418288_f248.jpg

More here:
    http://www.designboom.com/contemporary/tiny_houses.html

1. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have seen this. Very cool.

Also, treehouses are amongst my favorite things to browse as far as architecture goes.

Also, anyone see the jet that was turned into a home?
      http://smtdaily.com/2012/06/man-turns-7 … ream-home/

2. profile image0
      sarahshuihanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Has anybody tried fitting a married couple with kids in these kinds of homes?

1. Josak profile image60

I don't think many people are suggesting that it seems to be more for single people or maybe couples, having said that I know a married couple with two children who live in a yacht that probably has about the same internal space and they are very happy people.

3. tammybarnette profile image61

http://realestate.msn.com/yurts-so-good
      Check this out, I had never heard of a yurt before...

4. Hollie Thomas profile image62

Some of those homes look fantastic. I especially liked the Pictures of Amsterdam. The guest house I stayed in in Amsterdam a few years ago was exactly like this. But they tend to build up, while the houses were narrow they often had at least three stories and the stairs were soooo steep, my room was on the 4th floor, the journey to bed, I have to say, was exhausting.

16. Vista15 profile image57
    Vista15posted 11 years ago

I did.  Well, smaller.  I lived in a 19' travel trailer for 10 years.  Good fodder for my next Hub.  I've got lots of pictures...

17. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

I think when reading articles like the one posted by the OP, there is a temptation to assume that because environmentalists are extolling the virtues of tiny homes, then that must therefore mean that they believe we should be compelled to live in them. I'm guessing it's this element of compulsion (real or imagined) which is what the OP objects to.

Do we know of any environmentalists who actually do believe in forcing everyone to live in a 200 square feet home?

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People who frequently express worry about imagined threats are hard to take seriously, especially when they assign these imagined threats to a particular group for the purposes of spreading fear of that group.

Well then you have no need to take me seriously,

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!  The first step to solving a problem is recognizing there is one.

2. Barefootfae profile image60

No but I have seen articles by people who believe we should not be allowed to live outside the cities and only see the countryside in pictures. Not making that up.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Then post those sources rather than dragging that issue into a basically unrelated topic.

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You got there before me.

2. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Could you post some links?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)