What advantages may there be in being old?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    cathinfranceposted 14 years ago

Generally being old is, people say, not for softies. But do you think you'll find any advantages in it when you get there? I'm just thinking of an old girl who elbowed her way to the front of the supermarket queue today with not a hint of shame. Nobody tried to stop her! And when my mother received pressure to increase in-credit gas payments I just mentioned to the company that she was 80 and they lowered the payment. (Fear of bad publicity - pressuring an elderly woman.) I guess sometimes being old can work to one's advantage.

2. The Grey Wolf profile image61
    The Grey Wolfposted 14 years ago

Solice in knowing that your not bound to this plane for much longer?

And wisdom supposedly but the jury's still out on that one.

1. pddm67 profile image60
      pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the wisdom part. As I get older I always find myself thinking, "If I only knew then what I know now." Not that it really does any good. My kids still think I don't know what I'm talking about smile

And if I live to be 80, I just might move to the front of the line at the store (with maybe a little shame). I'm in a hurry - who knows how much longer I'll have smile

3. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

historical perspectives.  Learn from the oldies and we dont make the same mistakes again!

4. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Farting dust. big_smile

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh my!  And how would you know that my dear friend?!

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Um, I heard from the old-timers, I'm excluded, ofcourse big_smile

1. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hope you didnt get the after burn from them!  pooey stench stench! gag.. gag...

1. profile image0
            Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They were almost impossible to outrun(their like rabbits!)

5. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

respect should be given to old people and all privileges possible

6. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

You mean, I should be respected? big_smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh Denno, thnaks for the sheeps, they are awesome, all people should be respected, yes but more to old ones

7. lmmartin profile image67
    lmmartinposted 14 years ago

People don't react when you're nutty -- they expect it from old people, so you're free to do whatever you feel like. Yeah!

8. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You can sit on the pot as long as you want.

9. pylos26 profile image69
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

Yo sneako...understand you're going on 120 years now...how's it feel to be chedder cheese?

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok! You made me laugh! Well that must be the reason my jokes are so "cheezy". I know, I know, kill yourself.

10. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

Being old for the baby boomers may not be so good. I am talking about those born after WW2 between the years 1945 and 1960. In the USA, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand we are likely to be problematical. In the USA, Great Britain and Australia dodgy dealings mean a lot of superannuation had frittered away leaving a lot of people vulnerable when it comes to the retirement years. We will live longer and that scares the hell out of a lot of governments. We will also require more medical care as we get older. We will continue to be a collective voice to be reckoned with if that means anything. So maybe getting old isn't such a great thing.

1. lmmartin profile image67
      lmmartinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So who let the voice of gloom in here? Come on -- getting old is better than the alternative.

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
        Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not complete gloom there Immartin...or at least gloom with an edge of tongue-in-cheek fun...scaring the hell out of a lot of governments could be jolly...

Being a strong collective voice has got to be good ju-ju. Well, being old ain't so great but we can still get somewhere with it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! Or being the voice of gloom I should say: "Bah humbug!"

"A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens is a favorite with me. I think "A Cricket on the Heath" is more your style but still very good. 

11. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

grandchildren big_smile

12. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Well, I'd like to make clear that I'm not "old" yet; but I'm old enough that twenty-year-olds usually think I'm old.  One advantage I seem to notice is that now that I'm (oh, let's say) "37" roll) I have learned how young it really feels  to be a few decades past twenty;  so while I once looked at people the age I am now and thought I'd hate being that "old", I now see that it isn't so old or so horrible after all.  It turns out hair doesn't always get gray as early as we thought it would, fine lines under the eyes don't always set in as early as we thought either. Now, if only I could find the same kind of positive discoveries with being even older than I am now.   hmm

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So There!!! lol

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You said it!   lol  (Of course, one of the disadvantages of being "37" is that twenty-year-olds think you're ancient and imagine how horrible it must be to be your age.  lol   We "37-year-olds" don't like anyone feeling bad for us because we're so "old".   lol

1. profile image0
          AdviceDoctorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just reading this makes me feel like a damn old .. buffalo!

I'm 33, do 20 year olds think I'm old? Goddamn it.

Oh, no!!   hmm   I was lying about the 37 thing!  lol  lol   (I was hoping people would know I was "being funny" by saying "37" - when I'm way, way, past that.  lol  )   You have nothing to worry about.  lol   (at least for another ten or fifteen years.  )    (On second thought, though, seventeen-year-olds do think you're ancient.  smile )

1. profile image0
              AdviceDoctorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, my 16 year old daughter is always like "This is my dad.. he's .. uhm.. a zombie"

13. profile image0
    AdviceDoctorposted 14 years ago

You can fart in public and people think it's cute.

14. Lisa HW profile image63

I'm a late-end Baby Boomer.  My generation isn't willing to give up being considered "youthful" without a fight.  lol   We'll be 85 and calling ourselves, "middle aged".  lol

15. profile image0
    AdviceDoctorposted 14 years ago

Lol!

My parents do call themselves "55 years young, and still in the light of life!"

And here I sit worrying about turning 34 next year.

Your parents need to just start calling themselves, "37".   lol

16. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I can't wait to be a nice granny, with horridly foul language lol
    Who would tell a nice granny off for bad language or anything else?

17. Lisa HW profile image63

I don't mind waiting another 20 years or so before becoming an 'old granny".  lol  I'm probably not so much the type who'll use foul language all over the place.  I'll probably be more the type to bop people with a giant pocketbook.   lol  (The urge has already kind of started setting in.)  lol

18. BobLloyd profile image60
    BobLloydposted 14 years ago

Lots of advantages but it depends whether or not you've retired.  I've retired and enjoy being able to use my time as I like.  Not having anything to prove, and not needing to do what an employer needs is itself a kind of freedom.

There are loads of opportunities to learn and experience new things once your time is your own and as you get older, time becomes more important than money.  (Hang on, did I say that?)

There can be disadvantages too.  You become gradually less visible to younger people, who can sometimes discount you and decide you're just about ready for the allotment and the woolly cardigan.

19. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

George Carlin has a hilarious routine about the advantages of being old.  You can blow off important family events (like a funeral) and everyone assumes it's because "Grandpa forgot."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)