The Herman Cain America's First Black President?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 12 years ago

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/ … traw-poll/

Romney said FL is the state that picks presidents and Cain's impressive victory in FL sets him up as possibly the republican candidate to face Obama in 2012. I for one would love to see that contest! Vain the proven job creator against Obama the proven job destroyer. Vain the accomplished business man against Obama the back stabbing career politician that never had a real job! I wonder who blacks would vote for, the half black guy that brought his people double the national average unemployment, or the successful black guy with a record of job and wealth creation? For me it's a no brained! Cain 2012!

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Possible, I suppose, but not likely. Cain strikes me as an ignorant windbag. The Republicans don't have a good candidate.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say it, you did.
      Sorry, LaLo.

3. Quilligrapher profile image74
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think your opening sentence is misinformation.  According to your Washington Times piece, “On Saturday, Mr. Perry hosted a breakfast for more than a thousand delegates and delivered his last pre-poll sales pitch, telling the crowd that Florida was a state that “picks presidents.” Giving Mr. Romney credit reflects on attention to details.
      I think your third sentence is more misinformation.
      “When he became CEO in 1984, Cain did make immediate changes. He closed 20% of the company’s restaurants, and fired between 300 and 400 people.” (1)
      I think your fourth sentence is still more misinformation, this time on two points. “What is known is that sales did not improve dramatically under his stewardship: they fluctuated between $225 million and $275 million. While in 1987 Cain predicted the chain would soon boast over 1,000 restaurants and would compete with larger companies like Domino's, Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's, and Papa John's, by the time he left the company in 1996 the number had dwindled to just over 500.” Businessweek had this to say about Mr. Cain business accumen, "Cain says that as President, he would take the same uncompromising, sweat-the-details approach to reviving the economy and cutting federal spending. Yet it's not at all clear that Cain's efforts made that much of a difference in Godfather's fortunes."(1)

In addition to several interim jobs in NYC while attending Columbia University, President Obama held other “real jobs” including 11 years as an associate and partner in the Chicago law firm Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, and as a part-time lecturer on constitutional law at the Universiy of Chicago Law School.  Finding the truth about the President’s job history is not hard if you make an effort. (2)

Neither this article nor a similar report in the Los Angeles Times mentions Mr. Cain’s ethnicity, yet three times you mention President Obama and Mr. Cain are black.  I’m sure you have your reasons.

In many populations centers in New York the state and local sales tax is 8.625%.  I can imagine the GOP reaction there when Mr. Cain brings up his 9% federal sales tax.

Your enthusiasm for Mr. Cain’s victory may, however, need a reality check. According to the Washington Post, “Straw polls generally have little predictive value, as evidenced by the fact that longshot candidates keep winning them. Paul just won one in California; Santorum just won another in Pennsylvania. Even the higher-profile straw polls should be taken with a big grain of salt. Bachmann’s Ames Straw Poll win might have been her high point in the race.” (3)

Nothing else in your post seems to relate to your news link.

It is always a pleasure responding to your threads, Lady.  We both get to learn from my research. lol   

(1) http://www.businessinsider.com/is-herma … all-2011-6
      (2) http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … siness-am/
      (3)http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the … _blog.html

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I learn from them too, Quillographer smile

2. lady_love158 profile image60
        lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The point is Cain won the straw poll in FL and as a result saw his server crash from the overwhelming influx of contributions. The point is Cain actually has a plan. Considering only Godfathers pizza and ignoring the rest of his career and focusing on the closure and layoffs rather than the fact that he actually made the company profitable is a blantant mischaracterization of his acomplishments and his success.
        Obama's employment history is absent of any major accomplishments. What did he do in these interim jobs? What cases did he work on as an associate partner? As a law lecturer what did he publish, 2 books, one of which he almost certaintly didn't write! He obviously knows nothing about economics or about creating jobs and instead of responding to the CBC with a plan he tells them to shut up get out of their slippers and put on their marching shoes! In fact, rabble rouser, agitator and community organizer is what Obama does best. Cain is head and shoulders above Obama as a qualified candidate for president!

The reason I brought up the fact that Cain is black is obvious, since Obama took 98% of the black vote in the last election, a Cain candidacy would give blacks an alternative, and it silences the idiots on the left making the claims that the tea party is racist.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
          Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cain won a very limited straw poll of 2,600 people.
          This victory means as much as Bachmann's winning of the Iowa straw poll.
          Which is to say, until the wind (and media attention) blow in a different direction, Cain is having his 15 minutes of fame.

While successful executive experience is always welcome, the government is not a private business and cannot be run like one. Any former businessperson who comes in thinking s/he is gonna turn this ship around is in for a rude awakening. Congress. Aka, the board from HELL. smile

2. Quilligrapher profile image74
          Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The real point is the points in your earlier post are mostly invalid and, as usual, you introduce new points that are also invalid. I’m willing to accept the possibility, without having any knowledge it happened, that the server Mr. Cain uses for his campaign web site crashed, but, I can not accept that you, and only you, know what caused the crash! To make such a statement without revealing your source reflects on your credibility. Furthermore, the next quarterly report of campaign contributions from the Federal Election Commission is not due until October. What’s your source for the “overwhelming influx of contributions?”
          If you honestly would like to know then why not do your own research! I already did most of this research for you and posted the link in my previous comment. You ask questions for which I already gave you the answers. (1) If you don’t conduct your own research, you base your conclusions on false assumptions, and you stuff your rhetoric with exaggeration and innuendo instead of real facts, then you are likely to end up with opinions no intelligent person can respect.   
          You are welcome to believe Mr. Cain is a unique and outstanding candidate, however, his own campaign web site said this about his speech before the P5 delegates in Florida: “Everything he told the audience had been said, in one way or another, by most of the leading Republican candidates.” (2) Please note this quote is from Mr. Cain’s own campaign web site.
          During the three years President Obama was employed as a community organizer by Developing Communities Project he “advocated  for asbestos removal, job training, and public-works services at this community organization on Chicago’s South Side.” (1) It becomes increasingly hard to believe a person is serious when they put “rabble rouser, agitator and community organizer” in the same sentence.
          If ignorance is bliss then belief in this statement is a trip to Nirvana! To suggest black voters cast their ballots in 2008 solely based on skin color is to ignore the tsunami of discontent that had swept over this country during the second 8 years of the Bush dynasty. President Obama’s 2008 success at the poles included the support of 44% of white voters who also yearned for less global isolation than under President G.W. Bush. President Obama’s election was the result of an unprecedented turnout by both black and young voters of all shades with additional support from 64% of Asian, and 68% of Latino Americans. (3)     
          ”Idiots” is a charged word that discourages readers from taking you seriously. Besides, I don’t believe the standard bearers of the Tea Party are racists. However, a token black GOP candidate does not conceal that they are wealthy and white and they care little about the plight of average, wage earning Americans.

I apologize, Lady, if I sometimes harp on the importance of facts. I view consciously taking liberties with the truth as a threat to democracy and I care little about the political leanings of those that do.
          In the end, it is important that we can say “ve en paz, y’all” to each other and mean it.
          Ve en paz, y’all

(1) http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … siness-am/
          (2) http://www.hermancain.com/newsroom.
          (3) http://andrewgelman.com/2008/11/electio … -happened/

1. John Holden profile image59
            John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+++

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+++

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Vain"?  Greudian slip?

2. junko profile image69
    junkoposted 12 years ago

That was just more Republican -Teaparty Hogwash And a shout out to Rubio or Cristy.

3. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"He closed 20% of the company’s restaurants, and fired between 300 and 400 people.”

Ha! He has just the same method for success as Romney!
    Smart in a business/bottom line sense.....

Not too good for those losing jobs and joining the unemployment line.

4. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Ohhhhh, shoulda known....heard a clip of elRushbo driving to get coffee...

So, Cain is the "authentic" black candidate?........

That a-hole takes bigotry to a whole new level.

All this time making racist comments and jokes and now the Russssshhhhhh-Bag knows what it means to be a black man?

He is incredible in his arrogance and gall.

along with the whole rabid-righty crew. IMO

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Exactly.

The straw poll was a loud cry shouting, 'None of the Above'!

It has nothing to do with the color of his skin. Perhaps more plainly, it said, he's not a career politician.

Gee that sounds racist! You don't think people voted for him because he had presented a common sense solution with his 999 plan?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not at all racist.

You're the one with the tread title.

You don't understand Florida. The straw poll simply said, we're not interested in the above career politicians. We now have a corrupt businessman running our state and many who voted for him are sorry they did. Give us someone who makes sense. Cain will not get the bid.  One reason Cain won the straw poll is because he was accessible to delegates who were still undecided. Whether he can stay alive past the honeymoon period depends on his supporters and his ambition. He campaigned hard here in FL.

6. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

This is one of those moments when I wish I could trust you LaLo. A decent presidential candidate from either party would be a miracle that might actually give hope for the future. Unfortunately I have read to many of your posts and find them biased, one sided, and completely blind to reality, which makes this potential hope as tangible as the tooth fairy.
    Sadly both parties are as corrupt as they can get, I don't see how either of them could actually get more corrupted. This has sadly led me to the gut feeling that nothing other then a total economic collapse will force these corporate puppets to stop lying and face the fact that worshipping greed is wrong and the reason for the economic woe's in the first place.

Cain would be a good choice for you then.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I honestly wouldn't give to monkeys if he is Rep or Dem or other, if he could actually do some darned good for the country. I might not have plans to ever return home but all my family are there and I worry about them. The problem is, I don't trust your posts as they are usually inflamtory, one sided, and blind to reality. I guess I will just have to wait and see, but I do wish my family would get the heck outa there. I don't think good hard working folks like my aunts and cousins and brothers (half on my dads side) are living in a country were being willing to work for your living will ensure a decent life, and that is the fault of both parties, as they are both puppets for the same masters. hmm

But thanks for offering a shred of hope even if I can't trust it, still nice to hear something positive for a change. big_smile

7. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Whether or not if he has a chance to be elected, Herman Cain definitely is a positive influence on the political discussion.

The People may just decide it is time to hire a person who has lived in the real world and not a parasitic lifelong politician.

1. DIY Backlinks profile image57
      DIY Backlinksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Black people would not vote for a Republican even if he is full blooded black.
      Obama gives out more goodies and will spend 10 trillion more dollars to help the unemployed stay unemployed and on government checks. Then he will talk about how that is helping them and everyone else while he tells them the whole mess is rich companies and ceo's fault. 

Since Cain actually ran a company and understands how to create jobs and run a business, brain dead voters would vote for someone else with no real experience or someone who has never ran a business to get our economy on track. They would vote for someone who speaks well or looks good. After all that should be the deciding factor when electing someone to run a country right?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)