What if your friends set you up with someone you didn't like?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

i just saw this film called, "life as we know it", and it's about these two people that get fixed up on a blind date, and they both hate each other. The girl is a bit of a control freak about everything, and the guy...well lets just say he's a playboy that hooks up with girls, but never stays for the long haul if you catch my drift.  Anyways, they both meet and hate each other, and agree to never date again.  Years later, their friends that set them up on the date to begin with just died, and guess what?  In their will it says that they're both chosen to take care of the baby..TOGETHER.  providing if they accept this role that is.  This would require them to move into the house together and raise the child as if she was their own.  Although there are other options like her uncle, aunt, grandfather and such, but neither of them are exactly qualified to raise a baby at all.

Therefore, I would like to ask you all this.  What if this happened to you?  Assume for the moment, your friend didn't tell you at all about the guardianship of their baby would be given to you, in the event of their death.  Let alone be told that you would be required to raise the child alongside someone they tried to fix you up with years ago, and it didn't work out.  Would you honor their wishes still?  Or would you seek other options?  Please have fun discussing this. big_smile

1. Claudin_Dayo profile image60
      Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow this is what we call wheel of fortune big_smile I think this is a nice situation, I hope to have one. There'a a lot of room for second chances. There's no harm in trying! Raising a child with the "beast" on my past could be an exciting experience hahaha

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's so true.  plus, who knows.  maybe the person your forced to raise a child with, they might actually turn out to be the special person your looking for in life after all. wink

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image76
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That Can be possible........after a lot of nightmare.....or Not!

2. profile image0

i guess since i started the forum, i'll go first.  if it were me, i'd honor their wishes.  sure, it would be kind of rude of them not to discuss it with me first.  Plus, i would still think it's kind of their clever ploy to hook me up with that same girl they know i wasn't attracted to the first time.  lol.  however, you never know.  to be honest, i always wanted a family anyway, so who's to say that the girl and i may  not hit it off raising a kid together eventually.  if not, then i can always do what that guy did in the film, and use the kid to pick up girls.  lollol j/k  tongue

1. Diane Inside profile image72
      Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They would have to be really good friends, but since  I love kids, I would probably do it for no other reason than to be able to raise her, but if more happens thats a bonus.

And the friends who know me best probably do know that if I would give it a chance  I would see how much this could work.

1. profile image0

yeah, that's true.  well i think its very sweet of you that you would give it a chance diane.  smile plus, your right.  if anything else did happen, that would only be more of a bonus, as you said.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image76

Um what exactly were the rules? They live together, have to marry and have sex??

Okay, so marry me, do what I say, bring home a big pay check. Let's do it!!!! lol

Just kidding smile don't take this the wrong way smile

1. profile image0

okay.  well, i kind of figured you were joking when i saw the smiling icon, so i didn't take it seriously.  lol

smile

are you mocking me? I was just editing it in case you didnt' get my humor

1. profile image0

no, i wasn't mocking you at all.  i was just saying that i got your joke, and thought it was funny. i mean nothing ill by it.  besides, i make it a point to never offend a lady anyway. wink

sweet. I was sorta testing you wink

1. profile image0

really?  did i pass? tongue

yup tongue

1. profile image0

YAY!

3. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

You know me and kids Steven.  lol

That aside,  I'd have to see him again, and see how things are between us during the present time.  People change and what didn't fit in the past might fit in the present.  There's always a hope.

If we really hit if off, then no qualms.  I'd do it.

If we still grated each other like finger nails on a chalkboard, then I wouldn't do it.  Why?  Because it is detrimental to a child's well being to be raised in a family where adults fight, dislike each other and pretend to be what they are not.  The child's welfare should always come first.

1. profile image0

i agree with that completely. as always beth, you always have insightful answers about everything. i guess that's why i always liked you. wink

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile  Thanks Steve for everything.  I've been over my head lately.  Forgive me?

1. profile image0

forgive you for what?  you didn't do anything to me, beth. nah, if anything, i should be asking you to forgive me, as i know you have to put up with a knucklehead like me sometimes. lol besides, you know i love you too much to ever be mad at you for anything.  are you okay beth?  your new job hasn't been stressing you out, has it?

1. Beth100 profile image70
            Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup it is.  I left my last position thinking I'd step down into an easier position with fewer responsibilities -- yea, right.  Oh well, I had my break down tonight over this.... tomorrow is another battle of meetings and more.  Not looking forward to tomorrow -- the work part that is.  Talking about work, I have to head off .... up before the sun rises and home after the sun sets.  blah!!! tongue

Ya know that's not how I feel about you.  Hold your head up and smile.  I love you too.  xoxo

1. profile image0

im sorry to hear about that beth.  well i hope tomorrow is a better day for you.  you know if you ever need to talk about anything, you can always talk to me okay.  i promise i'll always be there for ya. 

i know, i was just trying to get you to laugh.  you have a great day tomorrow beth; i'll definitely miss you. wink xoxoxo

4. Claudin_Dayo profile image60
    Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years ago

This thing is sooo romantic ! <3 true friend should honor wishes specially dieing ones.. We'll the probability of falling in love with each other in this status is really high because hmm opposite attracts.. Oh and having a somewhat "built-in" family, why say no if the opportunity knocks? big_smile

1. profile image0

yep, you are right.  it does sound like the ultimate romantic set up. tongue

5. Lifeallstar1 profile image59
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

Ha! What mean friends lol. I think doing it for the innocent child sounds great on paper but realistically 50 percent of marriages end in divorce and that's with someone you actually liked lol soooo I'd have to say the child would be better off in a loving family. I see it turning out a disaster with an innocent child stuck in the middle only to go through heartache with all the fighting and splitting up that is bound to happen. Guess I'm not painting much of a fairy tale ending lol. big_smile

1. profile image0

well to be fair, you wouldn't be marrying the person, as you'd be free to date whoever you like.  just according to the will, you'd be living in the same house together raising a baby.  lol. sure, it might be ackward to explain to someone if you bring a date home, but who knows. it's like beth said, even if you didnt' get along back then, it doesn't mean that things might not work out later on, as people do change over time.

6. Claudin_Dayo profile image60
    Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years ago

In reality, this set up is just too good to be true wink.. If the such exist I'd like to snatch it hahahaha

1. profile image0

lol well you never know. wink

7. profile image0

bumps

8. profile image0

anyone else got anything to add?

9. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Hey Steven, yeah I'll add just give me the kid, then I'll be happy.lol

1. profile image0

lol. okay, deal then. i'll be sure to drop her off at your place first thing tomorrow.  big_smile lol

10. profile image0

anyone else got something to say?

11. profile image0

i guess nobody does. lol

12. profile image0

bumps

13. schoolgirlforreal profile image76
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Would I become Rich too? tongue

I would date the person once more to see. Then of course say NO!!!

1. profile image0

no, but you would get a new house out of it too. tongue

14. profile image0

bumpeth!

15. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I really don't get it!  So here's the scenario:  My friends hook me up with someone I don't like and I never did like and I go out anyway and then marry him and have a kid with him?  WHAT?  wtf?  I can't wrap my brain around that without getting very very nervous.

Because that sorta describes my marriage!  smile

1. profile image0

lol. aww im sorry to hear that mega. i had no idea, your marriage was like that.  that's so awful.  im sorry for reminding you about it. hopefully you two managed to grow on each other since then. wink  smile

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

HA ha!  = that wasn't the way it was - the marriage is over for a long time now and we didn't get fixed up with each other - but I had misgivings about it from the beginning and should have listened to my instincts because there were many things about him I didn't know well enough and later discovered.  I don't feel bad anymore about it, just sort of foolish that I was so unprepared.  I probably should have stayed unmarried and just lived with him for awhile - I would have found out what he was really like.  Live and learn.  I don't think marriage is for everyone - and I should have stayed out of that arena.

16. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

I would question why my friend was so obsessed about me getting together with this particular woman. I would also be annoyed at being put in such a situation, and would not consider being deceased an excuse for doing it. It's my life, and I'll do with it as I please, and certainly wouldn't live it according to the wishes of a dead person.

1. profile image0

wow, that's a very honest answer. one that i can certainly respect.  to be honest, i'd probably be thinking the same thing at first myself too, but I would probably still do it for no other reason than I always wanted a kid anyway.  if romance happens with me and the girl, then that's a bonus for me.  lol.  however, i can see exactly where your coming from, and i applaud you for saying it.  to be honest, i was expecting a response similar to yours, but i was just surprised it took so long for someone to have the guts to come out and say it.  bravo camlo!

17. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Well, that is obviously only going to happen on film.

If it were me, I would probably get an lawyer, and find a legal way to get out of that arrangement, with the best interest of the child of course. Signing off on the will is one way to do that. I wouldn't want a child to grow up in a household where the supposed parents hate each other.

I am guessing in the hollywood version, everything ends up peachy keen, and the couple begins to like each other? And, with most predictable movies of this nature, end up getting married? Am I close?

Sounds like a really boring chick flick to me.

1. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You changed your pic!  I like it so much better! Very nice!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yea...it is a better pic.....hey Mega!

2. brimancandy profile image78
        brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Glad you like my picture. I like it too.

2. profile image0

well you are right, the movie is predictable, but it's surprisingly better than how it sounds.  trust me.  lol.  however, i doubt seriously this would ever happen in real life, as I know there would be a lot of legal ramifications behind this in real life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)