jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

How safe is online dating really?

1. soneblom profile image60
    soneblomposted 6 years ago

So many people have been hurt online.Many have paid dearly for love, both emotionaly and financially. I wonder why someone would put themselves in the line of fire like that? What do you thing think of offline matchmaking? Is it a better controled service?

1. loka93210 profile image60
      loka93210posted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is actually depends on how you doing a online dating with whom etc.
      Still it is safe until unless you meet and have a chat.
      And once you meet you can know each other and it becomes more safe.

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think that's a complete distortion.  Bad experiences make news - good experiences never get mentioned. 

It's the same with everything in our society - in Australia, our crime rate has actually gone down in many areas, yet listen to the news and you'd think people were getting murdered at ten times the rate of twenty years ago.  They're not - it's just that we have more news programs, therefore more things get reported.

Same with online dating. Maybe it's my age group, but I'm surprised how many couples I know who met through RSVP (a paid Australian dating site).  Sure, you'll hear horror stories - but to my mind, you're just as likely to get mugged by an anonymous guy you meet at a night club, than by someone you meet online.

2. LSKing profile image85
    LSKingposted 6 years ago

My sister had a really odd encounter through a reputable online dating service. She has since sworn off the idea of meeting anyone online. I don't blame her.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My sister got a guy who claimed to have been abducted by aliens in a UFO. I think it's a crap shoot no matter what you do.

17 different dimensions. Hmmm. Inter-dimensional dating,,,,hmmmm. smile

1. 60
          jhonsmith01posted 6 years ago in reply to this

2. FloBe profile image82
      FloBeposted 6 years ago

I think you have to use common sense when you sign up with online dating and find the sites where your privacy is protected in the beginning and it is your choice when you want to take it to the next level.
      I met my husband through eHarmony and we both found that site to be very good in that it matches you on a list of 29 categories of compatibility. There are several levels of communicating before you can choose to give them your personal email.
      Many other sites are more of a free-for-all and you have to pick your way through all the people and even then you have no idea whether you would be a match or not. I call it the "meat-market" sites. So, I guess it depends on what you want.

Now consider what you might have found if you had checked out a different dimension! wink