Title My Belief or Non Belief

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (195 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

-Hello, I need help and guidance. I don't know what my title of belief is. If I don't believe the bible, does this make me an atheist? Hmm. I need help, what is my belief or non belief title?

1. profile image0
      Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's up for you to decide not another, thought you were all about individuals and free thinking why would you need someone else to tell you what your beliefs are then...unless this is just another thread to stir up an argument.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does not all belief have a title?

1. profile image0

I'm not aware of that. I have no title for my belief...as its been labeled 18 different things on these forums by theists and Atheists alike (Yes I've been counting) Here's a question for you. If what you believe explains what you need and gives you the answers you seek why can't that be enough? Why the need for titles and names, which ultimately only serve to categorize you and alienate you from others.

I don't know why most everyone wants or needs a title on their belief. This is why I want a title on mine. So I can fit in and know how it is to have a titled belief.

1. profile image0

Well in that case I'll title your beliefs: argumentative....both ironic and descriptive.

I will have to agree with you there. But, i'm not always argumentative, so this could't be my title. The search continues. lol

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi marine.....being atheist means you dont believe in a deity (GOD)..........but it doesnt mean to say you gonna believe the bible too, you can create your own world belief....and your own bible, as long as you follow kharma......

What if none of my belief is absolute. So I could or couldn't believe in a creator without absolute belief. Can non absolute belief have a title?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, you can have beliefs which are not absolute, absolute are scary...

So my belief could be titled "unabsolute", or "Not a clue". lol

2. profile image0

I think that's called skepticism. How about Fluidism...the belief in no constants, and no absolutes.

That might be me! Plus, Fluidism is a cool sounding title. lol

1. profile image0

You must become like water my son big_smile

I am mostly made of water! I am on the path to fluidness!

3. TimTurner profile image68
      TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe in the bible or anyones god.  But I'm very spiritual and that's what I tell people.

I'm not atheist or agnostic. I'm spiritual smile

4. sooner than later profile image61
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is another cry for attention in which Marine explains how "individual" he is, and mayby now he is going to say he has created a new movement that has no name yet.

riveting.

Good try prophet! lol Keep studying your bible.

5. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't that title mean you are a member of that belief system? Then it would certainly mean you are a member of that group, and then that is your government, weird.

And you don't think the bible is a government? lol

1. sooner than later profile image61

you won't get one person to believe what you conjured up while high. how many threads are you going to start with the same message? boring.

I don't have to prove anything, it proves itself. You worship a government. Any grouped belief is a government. Maybe you should get high. lol

2. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What does the bible have to do with your choice to form your own government. You have said many times that you are against any government, the bible means nothing to me, you are just not very consistent. Try again!

lol Try what again? What am I forming? Is it a conspiracy? lol

3. Vladimir Uhri profile image59
          Vladimir Uhriposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Come on marinealway, do not mix up things. Keep definition straight. Bible is document not the govenrment.  smile

Amazing. Does the government not write bills and documents? Is that too much for you?

6. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Confused. big_smile

Me too!

Wouldn't be any fun if it made sense would it?

1. aka-dj profile image66

Stop sniffing that baby. It makes me nervous. hmm

Why is that?

1. aka-dj profile image66

Dunno. It just does. lol

7. profile image0
      Jawa Lunkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does it matter?

If you have no belief, then you are an unbeliever.

But it really doesn't matter because what one believes or does not believe has no bearing on reality, just on your final destination.

8. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do you need a label? You don't have to explain anything to anyone other than yourself. Once you do that, your title will come from you.

Maybe my favorite comment of the thread! I started this thread in sarcasm to see the responses I would get of those who title themselves and others. Do you have any titles?

9. aware profile image65
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you surely must be kidding. if not your title is ... empty

1. Dgerrimea profile image60
        Dgerrimeaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes the OP is kidding.

10. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your belief is OODA.  The search continues.....

Yes, it should always be continuous. Why should belief be content in an evolving world? Make sense to you? If you are done searching, you are done learning.

1. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Life is a search of knowledge and understanding. No knowledge can be too much and No understanding can ever be enough.

2. ediggity profile image60

There are plenty of things to learn about besides belief.  Even when you find your belief, you can continue to learn about it.

Unless.....Your belief is absolute through faith. Absolute is content.

1. ediggity profile image60

Please see definition.

Webster is back in the building!

Webster isn't absolute either. Just words and definitions we use in attempts to explain conscious thought. So you aren't certain about your belief in the bible? You said you had faith in the bible. Is your faith not absolute and content?

I am certain, as supported by the widely accepted Webster definition.  You and Cagsil should start your own dictionary.  That way you can document, and receive credit for the stuff you make up. The search continues...

Everything you know or think you know is made up by your conscious or unconscious mind and faith.

2. Cagsil profile image69

You make a 'belief' sound like it has substance and it doesn't have any substance in reality.

A belief has to be formed on the basis of the reality of facts.

If you form a belief on any other basis, you can never 100% believe it to be real.

Your own consciousness, conscience and sub-conscious will not allow you to 100% belief in something that isn't real.

Regardless of what you say, it's impossible for you to accomplish that task. There is always going to be a sliver of doubt, because you really do not know. You are hoping.

That is not a firm foundation for any belief system.

I love the way you like to make up your own definitions for
              things. Here, let merriam help you out:

Main Entry: be·lief
              Pronunciation: \bə-ˈlēf\
              Function: noun
              Etymology: Middle English beleave, probably alteration of Old English gelēafa, from ge-, associative prefix + lēafa; akin to Old English lȳfan — more at believe
              Date: 12th century
              1 : a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
              2 : something believed; especially : a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
              3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence
              synonyms belief, faith, credence, credit mean assent to the truth of something offered for acceptance. belief may or may not imply certitude in the believer <my belief that I had caught all the errors>. faith almost always implies certitude even where there is no evidence or proof <an unshakable faith in God>. credence suggests intellectual assent without implying anything about grounds for assent <a theory now given credence by scientists>. credit may imply assent on grounds other than direct proof <gave full credit to the statement of a reputable witness>.
              synonyms see in addition opinion

There is a very important part of that definition I would like you to pay attention to.  it reads, "may or may not imply certitude"

No offense, but your Philosophy/definition of belief means nothing to me.

11. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do you feel you need a title.  You can be spiritual and not believe in everything the Bible says.  Who wrote the bible....people wrote the bible, right.  I don't believe everything that everyone says nor do I believe everything I read. it is what it is....is your new title....LOL

The 'myth' of him needing a title, was to draw attention from people only.

Especially, those who practice any sort of religion, because belief among religions is that their religion is correct and all else are wrong. Include, thinking for yourself.

If you think for yourself, then your outted by all religion beliefs and those who practice religion. You are considered a non-believer. Even, though that label is just that a label.

When you form logical thought about labelling others, you in essence go against the teachings of religion.

So, he is simply showing how someone's belief in religion is distorting their own perception of reality about life.

He is trying to get people to see through their own eyes and not through someone else's perception about life.

1. Stimp profile image60
          Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oooppss....Guess I got sucked into that one.  ~Yaaaawwwn~ I'm tired today.  I need to pay more attention.

lol lol lol

12. mobilephone guide profile image60
      mobilephone guideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

don't be labeled. re-evaluate your belief as many times as you want.

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

YOU ARE UNBELIEVABLE !! big_smile

lol Thank You! Likewise!

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cool
        nice 2 C U !

You as well! Nothing like some belief searching on a Monday morn.  lol

3. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

There is no need to pigeon hole belief. If you can not define what you believe, consider yourself lucky and unique.

I want to have a title on my belief so me an others know what I believe.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK, if it's absolutely necessary, I'd go with existentialism.

So my belief is that I exist? That could be an illusion. lol

Yes, it certainly could be an illusion. Have you ever studied A Course in Miracles?

Is that a real course?

Well, it's a large, Bible-sized book that you can find in bookstores. I know a few people who study it, and I guess it's as real as anything else, which we both concede could be an illusion.

Ah, I call that the book of contradictions. lol
                  In the search of absolutes, I definately believe the miracle book is an illusion when it defines a contradictory creator. lol

2. elayne001 profile image79
      elayne001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I would call you lost - do you want me to send the missionaries?

How you can form a belief on something not of facts is ludicris, to say the least.

If you have to base your belief on a mystical realm which is outside reality, then you've got real problems.

To believe IN something is to know it is factual 100% authentic.

The human race has been around for over 10000 years. The 'bible' or religion has been around for less, much less 6000 years.

The religious text at best is history notes with a mix of mythology. Not factual. Words were left out and purposely, so your mind could dream up whatever 'god' you could imagine.

Jesus Christ understood what a false god was and could see religious leaders as fakes. Why do you think they had him executed? Not for our sins, but because Jesus Christ knew religion was a hoax.

That's why he specifically told his disciples not to worship any false gods or idols.

That is precisely what he told them. Yet, the entire world is engulfed in religion. The interpretation can not be any more BOLD, as to the truth of his words.

4. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I was just wondering last night where you've been. You missed out on all the holiday super religious debates. It just wasn't the same without you.

Thank You. I have tried to be more productive with my time lately taking a vacation from the forums. They don't pay and they give me a headache. lol

5. profile image0

You could be really bold and strike out on your own and create a whole new belief system complete with holy book and dogma. that would be a life's work for sure.

I think I could do that. But, this would go against everything I stand for. The reason I despise religion is because it teaches a 1 belief system. A contradicion to having an individual mind.

1. profile image0

Yeah but it will be your own religion, you don't have to share it. That could be commandment number 1...Keepeth the hand off my holy book.

6. profile image0

Wait I think we're on to something here. Next time someone asks me what I believe I'll say "I'm Fluid" Then walk away, let them figure it out.

lol That is a great idea. Always fun to make minds scramble.

2. Jonathan Janco profile image61

And the human body is made mostly of water, so I guess we're all fluid.

1. profile image0

See it's clever, novel, and mostly true, that's close enough for fact by most religious standards.

7. profile image0

I have attained fluidity...Ohhmm....Ohhmmm

8. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

Scott, I think you may have just started the next big trend.

1. profile image0

Damnit now I'll have to rebel again so as not to conform to my own trend. where does it end?

9. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Absolute Fluidity should be when you only go number 1 and never again go number 2!

1. profile image0

Hmmm...true but do we want to institute conditions for membership? then we'd be solid not fluid.

Yes! We can make money and control people like religions do! lol

1. profile image0

Well if there's money to be made and global domination at stake then I'm in. Besides we all know preaching something doesn't mean we have to do it. We are becoming a real religion.

Yes, all we would have to do is group our ideas and belief for an agenda and give follower minds something to believe. This is the religious way. lol

I'm not quite sure. I don't have a lot of knowledge on the freemasons. But, isn't this what they were and did. A group of individual minds/republic that set agendas to control the followers?

10. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Humans being human = structures and rules.  Define yourself and the "label" will come.  Since humans are 90% water (or so we've been told by the water marketers), I vote for Scott's "Fluidity" smile However, believing in a diety and following your beliefs is usually called "spiritual".

11. underhiswings profile image60
    underhiswingsposted 14 years ago

The title of your belief is:

"KNOW NOTHING"

That is your prevailing statement time and again in the forums. big_smile
    And you defend this belief with fierceness. mad mad mad

This releases you for the rest of your life from ever knowing anything and all of your fellow "Know Nothings" will collectively know the sum total of absolutely nothing. big_smile

Therefore you have no capacity to teach anyone because you know nothing. wink

1. profile image0

Someone is cranky today.

My title is  :
      I KNOW THERE'S NOTHING
      Nothing to be afraid of.
      Nothing to be happy for.
      Nothing to cling to.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And a little bit of something to be glad that ya got a grip on.   And you have a good grip on it.

hi jerami ! nice 2 C U !
          Always trying to get a good grip on things lol

2. underhiswings profile image60
        underhiswingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So is that your title Tantrum or his ? big_smile hmm

As it says there, It's my title.
          I speak for myself.

1. underhiswings profile image60
            underhiswingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing to be happy for? About?

You cling to nothing? Hope? Love?

I Am talking about God , which I don't believe. Aren't we all ?

So I don't believe I have to be afraid of him, nor be happy about him, nor cling to him

3. marinealways24 profile image59

lol The sad thing is, you know nothing as well!!! All you have are your silly biblical assumptions of absolute belief! If you opened your little mind to understanding absolutes, you would understand how little you know.

12. underhiswings profile image60

No Marine, cannot say that I am sir. smile

Just gave an honest reply, called it like I saw it honestly. big_smile

Gave it a lot of thought and tried to be fair sir.

lol Thought? Isn't this against your religion? lol

13. Dgerrimea profile image60
    Dgerrimeaposted 14 years ago

If could explain what you do believe, as well as/instead of what you don't believe, then we can decide on an appropriate title. Titles only matter when speaking to people with a lot of preconceptions, especially those unwilling to rethink their semantics.

The only thing I believe as absolute is my family because I choose to believe them absolute. This could be wrong as they and myself could be an illusion. So even that belief isn't completely absolute. However, I prefer them absolute!

I'm not too fussed about 'absolute' beliefs, but what for example do you believe about god, the supernatural, fate, free will, morality?

An absolute belief is a belief that a person can consciously accept 100% based on facts. It's perfectly known.

The absolutes I meantioned, are absolutes for every living human, about their life. Those will not change regardless.

2. marinealways24 profile image59

Good questions.

I don't rule out the possibility of a creator, just the bibles creator. The bible uses simple childish psychology to group believer/follwer minds into one.

On the supernatural, there are a lot of unexplained things that exist. I believe in the possibility of the supernatural which can't be proven wrong through logic.

I think fate is partially my decision of free will. I am mixed on this though. I could die an unexpected death on any given day, so possibly my fate isn't only in my hands.

I think in the search of absolute free will, there are no laws telling an individual what to think or to believe or how to live. Free will to me is no intervention.

Hmmm, morality I think can be found with group logic such as a republic. I think a lot of moral actions develop by not using contradictions if that makes any sense.

You are an atheist because you lack belief in a personal god, and you are a sceptic because you are open minded, but require evidence before forming concrete beliefs.

I agree with you on everything except free will. If you define free will as lack of outside intervention into the decisions you make then I agree, but I wouldn't word it so generously. I believe free will to be a self contradictory idea.

lol Your title is wrong. If I ruled out the possibility of a creator, then I would be atheist. How did you come to your conclusive assumption? I don't have any concrete beliefs except for my family. There is no evidence that my family isn't an illusion. I simply have faith to believe in them. This does not make them absolute. I was created by my parents, it is logical to me for the possibility of a creator, not absolute. What do you mean free will as self contradictory, because we can die and lose free will at any given time?

By many people's definitions you would be an atheist because you lack belief in a creator. You don't have to rule it out to qualify for 'atheist'. Richard Dawkins doesn't rule out the possibility of a creator.

With regard to free will, the reason it is contradictory is because it requires both multiple possible outcomes and a consciousness to choose between them. These two things are never both true in the same instance.

If you admit to forming concrete beliefs despite lack of evidence then I retract my labelling of you as a sceptic.

Is it possible to have a concrete belief when not believing in absolutes? The dawkins example is a perfect example of how believers will generalize and class individuals together that don't believe the silly bible. I think believers feel that everyone that doesn't believe the bible must share a non belief since they themselves are belief dependent.

Whether you believe in absolutes or not, you will hold some beliefs more strongly than others. When I say 'concrete beliefs', you should read this as 'the strongest kinds of beliefs that you do/can hold'.

14. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

It is a good thing when we find something worth grippin onto.

15. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I have two absolutes for you....

(1) reality exists independent of desires, will, wishes or thoughts. reality is all knowable.

(2) moral right and wrong- any action that is beneficial to society is right and any action that is harmful to society is wrong.

You live by those two absolutes and there is no room for 'god' or belief in one.

If you take it one step further- religious beliefs require an individual to place themselves second to the word of 'god's' will.

To be human is to be self-responsible. You must take care of yourself, at all costs, to ensure you have a future.

To do so, you need to have FULL control over your life.

Besides- Jesus Christ wanted YOU to be a God on Earth(Heaven) and he did NOT want you to get sucked into religious teachings.

Jesus Christ, a human male, who saw atrocities happening, when he was alive. He saw millions of people enslaved to religious leaders. Because they didn't know any better.

Why do you think he told his disciples- Worship no false gods or idols. He didn't want you in religion.

The only GOD you are to worship is yourself. That's it!

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya might have a point  BUT   Are Ya sure Ya didn't leave anyone or something back at the station

2. sooner than later profile image61

new age rubbish. We can't determine where a booger will hit the floor when we flick it, what makes you think we have and godly status.

sorry, but I have heard all this before.

You don't serve Him, you serve the devil. That simple.

lol Ignorance! Blame it on the devil. lol

I realize that your own ego would not get high enough to reach godly status, per se, but why don't you get yourself a little bit more credit.

What your opinion of me and how I think is completely my doing. You want to see me in a negative aspect, go right ahead. You will be the one doing damage to your life.

Your negativity isn't for me to judge, but I would like to let you in on a little secret I learned a long time ago- never view anything in a negative aspect- it creates unwarranted stress on the body and ages you more quickly.

And, you know what- YOU are right- I don't deserve a 'god' in my life. I have control of my life and I live my life according to my upbringing, moral standard and a high value on life.

I do not NEED a 'god' in my life. I am doing just fine without him or it.

16. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

Yawn... nighty night marine.

Do you think I am posessed by the devil?

You are "of" the devil. being as you have read... i mean... wait are 3/4 of the way through the bible "snicker", you would know why I said the word "of".

do you know why i said "of". smile

bet not.

I don't have a clue. The devil has blinded me! How am I of the devil?

Because you are not "of" God. See how easy scripture is. smile

I'm not favored to be "of" God? Why is that? Did God cast me to the devil?

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image59
          Vladimir Uhriposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sooner than later, do you agree with me, we have many empty poppy seed heads around? No wonder our country is dysfunctional. Whose fall is it?

I couldn't agree more. I have tried to get marine to understand the things that HE says. I cant move forward with the subject until I correct his missuse of the words and their deffinitions that make up the english language.

but he is one of many. most of the time I ignore him and those like him, but sometimes I wonder if one of these are educating children right now... and I have to interject so that we don't get any dumber. But it really could be a full time job and it's hardly worth it.

lol You are the ignorant one with no self awareness. You simply fail to see the psycology of your silly belief book. Keep praying to government. lol

How many innocent deaths have been caused from your silly belief of absolutes thinking you are favored for your belief.

17. sooner than later profile image61

You lost some of my respect when you said you would read, and you didn't. You lost the rest when you started 15 threads with the same rubbish.

Now get your last word in because my much needed services are no longer available.

lol you people really make things too easy. How am I not "of" God? How am I "of" the devil?

Does this look logical and sane to you? lol

18. underhiswings profile image60

There is a difference between "the facts" and "the truth"

Mine are not  'the facts' or ' the truths'
      they are 'my' facts and truths

Excellent!

Although, his faith blinded mind will not see how deep your comment goes since he believes in absolute faith and belief as all truth. He has no comprehension of an individual belief.

Oh !
          Does this mean I pass to the next grade ? big_smile

No, this means you and I are "of" the devil and not "of" god because you don't believe the silly contradictory bible psychology!

We wasn't supposed to think! lol

OH !.....

.....I SEE ! lol

You see the light! lol

19. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I do not accept that "Jesus" ever lived.
    Like the bible, the reason it reads like it does is because it copies what came before it. Jesus is a long way from the first "Jesus like" story! smile

yes earnest, we know. You have over 6,000 posts that say so. do do do do yo you have a stu stud studder in real life or just in the forums?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so, but watch your math. You have over 700 in two months. lol

20. sooner than later profile image61

350 per month to your 500. Maybe I will get better as time goes on. Will you help me?

All jokes aside, I bet you and I would get along outside of religious beliefs.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe your right, I do not find many people I dislike personally. smile I never bother with religion away from the forums. I get right up there about blockheads having a god that finds car keys for em though! The world needs better help than that from a god!

21. profile image0

You all aren't being too Fluid, you have to focus, these other religions are distracting you from your new belief.

I am focused Sir. I am amused when the bible believers come in to assault any individual ideas or beliefs. They never fail, quite predictable like their book of belief.

This is what happens when they have absolute belief. They lose self awareness and accept contradictions through faith. Quite cultish. I also enjoy when they get emotional over their beliefs. Another flaw in absolute belief when it is driven by emotion.

1. profile image0

That is why we must be water and let their attacks flow through us and keep on going, meanwhile our constant pressure will slowly erode the bedrock of their fragile hold on reality, water carved the grand canyon man. Be FLUID big_smile

I agree and I like it!

I can't. I'm  a Hell of a FIRE ! lol

1. profile image0

Ever seen fire flow across a floor, there's nothing more Fluid, constantly changing and adapting to find more fuel. Fire is a living breathing thing. It's a beast that hunts and kills, it gives life to barren landscapes and empty forests. It creates by destroying, that's Fluid for sure.

lol But you were talking about water. fluid water.

Ah, but the fire must have oxygen. If the oxygen is taken, the fire dies. Where does oxygen play in?

If you don't have oxygen, you die as well
                Without oxygen water wouldn't exist either
                May be we should worship OXYGEN !
                lol

lol You have a point.

Beliefs are always driven by emotions!
        A logical person doesn't have beliefs, he has 'proofs '

I think thought and belief should be separated from emotions to find logic. I believe emotion contradicts logic. I could be wrong.

I figured I should add an example to explain myself.

Take a serial rapist/killer that has lived a life of crime. What would an emotional punishment be? Most likely death.

I believe the emotions should be separated. I belive a logical decision would be to study this persons mind, psychology, upbringing to see where the parents and society went wrong in raising this person. If the person was put to death, we would learn nothing. If we studied the person, we could possibly limit future repeated crimes if we learned how they begin.

22. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

Believe is such a strong word, is it not true that if you believe in something you will do anything to defend it, even make up your own stuff just to prove a point? You'll probably even ignore evidence that's thrown in your face if you "believe" in something, maybe having an idea is better? I think it keeps you more open to reality and have better judgement=)

Well said. I agree with you. I think people allow their belief to take them over when it is based/driven/taught/preached through emotions.

23. fishtiger58 profile image69
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

Agnostic means you dont know if there is a god or not. Does that help

No, because it's not quite true. 'Atheist' and 'agnostic' have different meanings depending on who you are talking to. 'Agnostic' typically means either lack of knowledge, or denial of the possibility of knowledge. 'Atheist' typically means either lack of belief in gods, or belief that there are no gods.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dgerrimea:
        For many years I considered myself to be a "strong" atheist. I finally realized my "intellectual" mistake: there are no atheists.
        The "English" definition of atheist is: " One who denies the existence of god."
        One must be able to define, FACTUALLY, what this god thing is if one is to consider "it" as being anything other than an abstract concept conceived by the fancifull imagination of an incipient, fearful and superstitious human creature.
        There is no extant scripture that does that and, the English dictionary definition of "it" is vague and based soley upon opinion and conjecture.
        How can one deny the existence of "god" if "it" is unknown, unknowable, undefinable and incorporeal? One can only deny the imagined concept of it.
        There are no "atheists," only "atheistconcepts."
        Qwark

Speak for yourself!
          Don't assume others are so stupid as not knowing what they are or aren't !

1. qwark profile image60

I never speak for others. "Stupid" is but dullness of mind.
            I speak from points backed by logic and reason.
            If one is "ignorant" and hasn't the intellectual acumen to visualize reality, then I can understand your response.
            Qwark

You can't understand my response because you don't understand your post, then !
              lol

1. qwark profile image60

Why don't you respond with a, "hopefully" viable opposing comment? Are you able?
                Qwark

sorry didn't get this earlier.
                  You said

'How can one deny the existence of "god" if "it" is unknown, unknowable, undefinable and incorporeal? One can only deny the imagined concept of it.
                  There are no "atheists," only "aconcepts."
                  Qwark

Stating there are no atheist is speaking for others.
                  I'm an Atheist, because I don't believe in God, or any god for the matter.
                  Any person can deny God even if it's an incorporesal being. what we are denying as atheists in the idea of a  God governing us.  Creating us, looking after us, etc.
                  I think we're capable of doing that ?
                  It's not that we don't believe in concepts. Concepts are a fact, the moment a mind thinks about them. So we are not 'aconcepts'

That's why I said  that if you didn't understand my answer ,you didn't understand your post.
                  I think you got your 'concepts' all mixed up .

2. Dgerrimea profile image60

'Atheist' can also mean 'one who lacks a belief in gods'. This is a very common definition, and one under which one can be an atheist even without a definition for 'god'.
          However, even if you decide to define 'atheist' as 'one who denies the existence of gods', then only a vague definition for 'god' is needed because even a vague definition can be denied.

1. qwark profile image60

I am a native English speaking American. My English dictionary does not intimate that: " 'Atheist' can also mean 'one who lacks a belief in gods'(plural)." The word "god" is singular in the definition.
            If you'd like to consider "gods," their creation and purpose in the evolution of the human species, "they" have all been inspired by fear and superstition in the minds of an abjectly ignorant, infant species desperately trying to understand and survive. What makes one think that the 'god" of contemporary man has been created any differently?
            The vast majority of extant humanity, live life as it existed thousands of years ago.
            Science has progressed to the point of making ancient "gods" definable.
            Human sophistication has caused the "imagination" to create supernatural, abstract divinities which cannot be defined and only exist in the minds of the ignorant and easily led. Leaders of monotheistic movements understand this weakness in human nature and have taken full advantage of it, for many millenia, to gain and hold control and power over the multitudes.
            Logic and reason easily provide an attitude which denies "vague definitions."
            Qwark

It doesn't matter what the dictionary says about the meaning of 'atheist' because, contrary to popular belief, dictionaries don't define words. They are a guide to diction, and as a secondary function they provide a rough guide to the common usage of the word so that you know which word you're pronouncing. Words are defined by their usage.
              I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make by making that distinction, so take this as a general comment rather than a reply/rebuttal/argument/whatever.

1. qwark profile image60

...really? Dictionaries don't define words? Dang! Here I spent 6 college years wearing out the darn things! My profs never told me that it doeasn't matter what dictionaries say! I'm angry as hell! Here all the time I thought the dictionary was  a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words, with information given for each word, usually including meaning, pronunciation, and etymology! Well, anyway, I got 2 graduate degrees before I met you on this forum, but it sure would'a been helpful if I could have met you before I wasted all that time money and hours studying the info in 'em...hey, it's never to late to learn!   Thanks loads...:-)
                Qwark

Hey just be thankful you didn't meet me any later in life, or you'd be even more disillusioned! Don't worry, the pain will numb and your sense of balance will return shortly.

1. qwark profile image60

I want to thank you profoundly(amen!) for the thoughtful(?), informative(?), knowledgeable(?) and well written(?) responses you provided.
                    I hope others who are involved in this "format" read your comments and understand with clarity, the depth of your scholarly and erudite(?) approach to life and reality...:-)(chuckle)
                    Qwark

24. Cagsil profile image69

There is no 'title' for my belief or non-belief.

I follow NO religion whatsoever.

I reject all religions. Each has nothing to do with life.

If you seek spirituality, then I suggest you look inside yourself.

If you don't like what you see- then I suggest you CHANGE your attitude and way of thinking.

If you don't believe in yourself, then you will not be able to change anything about your life.

How ever, if you have the understanding that your life is your own, then you can realize that you can make whatever changes you decide.

If you can't realize that your life is your own or refuse to take responsibility for your thoughts and actions, then I would say that your view about life is skewed and wrong.

If you want to ask such questions of WHY does the human race lives? This question is too general to be answered based on the simple fact that people have individual thoughts and actions, and there is NO COLLECTIVE answer for the entire race. As each person can determine their own purpose, there is no collective purpose for mankind. Hence, that question is a question that never needs to be explained or answered.

How the Earth came? See science.

How the Universe came to be? See science.

Where did mankind come from? See science's uncompleted works.

Is Evolution a solid fact? Yes, Evolution is based on things mankind would eventually figure out or happen. The simple fact that YOU are walking around is proof of Evolution.

What proof? The Human Consciousness is solid proof of Evolution. Mankind was NOT always conscious of their existence. The leap from 'animal' instinctive living to human consciousness is proven fact of evolution.

25. pylos26 profile image72
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

For goodness sake!...all you bad bad people talking about precious jesus in such a bad bad manner…it just makes me ill ill ill…all you lugheads should be ashamed…and punished…in the name of jesus.

Pylos

26. Dgerrimea profile image60
    Dgerrimeaposted 14 years ago

tongue

27. Cagsil profile image69

Are you two done?

1. qwark profile image60

..your turn Cagsil...lol

Well, you can start?

Where we going to begin?

lol

1. qwark profile image60

Cagsil:
          You have the advantage. You have read my thoughts. I know nothing about you. Pick a subject. if you present it well, if your intellect piques my curiosity and the subject does the same, I'm always up for a "chat."
          Qwark

That's okay. I started talking to too many people in too many different forums.

Lost track of all the ones I visited. That's why so long for the reply.

Well, I not sure what to tell you. I'm a confident person who has discovered an unusual clarity about life. I don't see my kind of clarity in other people.

I'm still working on that. An unanswered question, I have.

Otherwise, I'm of no religious belief or affiliations. After 15 years as a catholic student, and many other years of research, I finally got questions I wanted answered, as pertaining to life. In my journey for answers- I was introduced to philosophers, science professors, guru's of all kinds, researchers and historians. I even learned more about the human being, the study of the body and mind.

I have learned that each person has the same ability as me and can have the same clarity, and focus I have. I've learned to appreciate life, because once it's gone- it's over.

There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is no satan, there is no god, there is no tooth-fairy, there is no santa clause.

Sorry folks- it's just us lonely little human beings, on this huge rock called - EARTH!

That's the reality of it.

So, let's see where we go from here?

1. qwark profile image60

cagsil:
              "There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is no satan, there is no god, there is no tooth-fairy, there is no santa clause." "I've learned to appreciate life, because once it's gone- it's over."
              Well said! That IS reality!
              Thank you.
              Qwark

And, if MORE people realized that their life evolves around living in reality, then they would realize that there is no life after death or a after-life, and would appreciate and value their individual life MORE than they do.

Religion preaches that people are to have no pride. It preaches that mankind is no better than dirt.

We(humans) are seen by religion as nothing better than animals, when in FACT we are superior to every animal on the planet, because WE(humans) evolved to consciousness.

Mankind was NOT always a conscious individual. The Human Consciousness is proof of evolution exists.

1. qwark profile image60

cagsil:
                  Sorry, if you do not know that man IS an animal, ( a mammal,) there is no way we can chat "meaningfully."
                  Your use of English leaves much to be desired.
                  Qwark

28. Cagsil profile image69

I sure it wouldn't considering you don't live life in reality 100% of the time.

I'm sure it would be really confusing.

Yeah, I don't live life in reality.  I'm not the one who is making things up to make a point, but I'm the one not living in reality.  LOL, you kill me.

Reality is what you believe it is.

Whatever you say. He brought it up not me.

Reality exists free of independent thoughts, desires, will, or wishes. Reality is all knowable.

I'm not making up anything.

Before you can FORM a belief? Or even think about forming a belief- you must have knowledge and understanding. If what you know is wrong or your understanding of what you know is wrong.

Then your belief is wrong. That makes YOU wrong.

It's actually quite simple.

Do you have knowledge and understanding of acoustic resonance frequencies?  Do you believe the sound of a horn is loud when you hear it?

It is actually quite simple.

29. Cagsil profile image69

Can you say "stay on topic"?

lol

Do you have knowledge and understanding of acoustic resonance frequencies?  Do you believe the sound of a horn is loud when you hear it?

It is actually quite simple.

That is quite relevant to the topic, but you don't understand it, so therefore according to you, you will never believe it.  And if you ever did believe it, what you know would be wrong, because you have no knowledge or understanding of it (unless however you studied it and gained knowledge and understanding of it).  So, what you know and believe about a horn being loud is wrong, because you have no knowledge or understanding of why or what makes it that way. Only myself and other individuals who understand harmonics actually believe a horn is loud. 

Again, you make things up to try and get your point across.  In the end, I will take Webster, and my "belief" under your definition any day. LOL.  Keep searching.....

30. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Um, dude. Who stole my car? lol

lol lol

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You need to prove there is no afterlife before you say there isn't one. Psssst. Wanna buy a letter K? wink

lol lol

1. profile image0
            Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

31. Cagsil profile image69

Boy did this forum quiet all of a sudden.

lol lol lol

32. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

There will be an execution tonite! I will rejoice at the "deletion" of a beastly member of the human species which proved itself to be worthy of "it's" Execution! I have written a "hub" on my feelings about punishment for the commitment of heinous and extremely offensive "capital" crimes.
    Qwark

33. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Have any of you thought seriously about what the purpose of "ALL" life on this planet is?
    Qwark

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)