Reality Check

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Everything we see with our eyes is just temporary. Trees will eventually die as will animals, insects and humans. Many perceive this to be "reality."

I believe God to be reality along with the promises He made in the His Word. I view this world as temporary and on the way to death.

What do you perceive to be reality?

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Truthfully? Sometimes I think everything is empty, and it's all just a hologram!
      Like when you look at trees...there's nothing in there...it's just a visual.
      Learned that once...some kind of philosophy that there's nothing inside your body until a doctor cuts, and then it becomes real...
      too freaky!

2. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dent,
        I think there is a cycle of life everything goes through in a natural way.
        What is present in this world is the present reality. I do believe it will fall away revealing an eternal reality where the "stuff" is gone and we reside permanently with the reality of what we have done in this life. Holly

3. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The earth has been here for billions of years and will be here billions of years, nothing temporary about it.

Your gods are what are temporary as they have changed dramatically over the years, supplanting each other.

Uh... reality. smile

1. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The earth is an extension of god or a tiny part of god, timeless as long as god desires.

4. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

An excellent example of the damage believing in ancient myths can do to a person, or a society. Or a world.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's the whole enchilada for me. I came to realize the hard way that so much of religion is about fear-based domination and superstition. Hence I have a very, very dim view of any religion. Getting connected with who/what you are in the universe makes a whole lot more sense to me. It's fascinating, puzzling, and keeps my curiosity very high. Religion doesn't do that for me.

I'm going with curiosity. The "sure thing" of religion never happened. All I got was condemned for things I didn't do. Then black listed because of gossip and hate. And that, boys and girls, is what I see in the religion forums and religions in the world every day. Rarely do I ever see anything in religion or the forums that rises above stupidity and egotism.

And I might add that my last statement is not a bash against anyone. It's a general observation.

1. donotfear profile image82
          donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Daniel, ya know, it sounds like you were the victim of a  legalism church. They do exist.....dwelling on the 'DO NOTS' instead of the positive loving things. Oh, I've had my share of religious legalism!  Shoved down my throat. I saw legalism nearly ruin a marriage for the sake of 'God'. I saw someone literally pick up a television & throw it to floor in a 'Christan rage'. I've seen condemning notes left, spouting condemnation, all in the name of God. I've seen men who refuse to grow facial hair, all in the name of religion. I've seen women oppressed, not allowed to cut their hair, no makeup....in the name of a 'Holiness Standard' that must be met in order to get to heaven. I've witnessed men swimming in their blue jeans because to wear shorts was a 'sin'.  I've seen woman swim in their long skirts because it's a sin to wear a swimsuit (oh, unless it's in the privacy of the home, it's not a sin). I've seen married people who refuse to wear a wedding ring because 'the wearing of gold is a sin'. So, I know what legalism is....religious legalism of the Pharisees. I want no part of it.   Then some ask, "Why are you still a Christian? Why do you still go to church?"  My answer is simple: not all 'churches' or 'denominations' are based on legalism & works. I go where I recieve love and forgiveness, not getting beat over the head with a Bible or a doctrine. I go where I'm free to worship in spirit & truth. And if I ever see the dogmatic legalism I mentioned, I'll bolt from that church so fast my head will spin.  I cannot stand legalism and see it for what it is. I'll have no part in it.

It's not just churches that are legalistic. Any organization becomes legalistic once ego is allowed to control. It's the ego that perpetuates the lies, the control, fear, domination, etc. We all have raging egos, but as we learn from the dark side of that ego, we begin to realize that we really don't need it much. When that happens we find inner peace and find peace in others. The more ego is tamed, the less dependence on institutions and organizations for filling our needs that we can't seem to fill ourselves.

It's not about being solitary. We aren't meant to be alone. It's about understanding the true nature of peace inside ourselves and with others.

Religion obviously preaches peace, but cannot foster it, due it's need for control, domination and perpetuation rules (which is ego based). The more rules any organization creates, the more rule-breakers it will have. Tame the ego and it restores a balance and peace that rules cannot establish.

In summary, our own realities are all those which we perceive and comprehend. Some will not see or perceive, or perhaps even disagree, but they are our realities. I think the thing I want to achieve is perceiving all those things from a point of inner peace, rather than one of confusion, anger, chaos, etc. Peace is the equalizer to me. It helps unify perspectives, thus perhaps unify perceptions of individual realities.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is this not reality? Things live and die. The circle of life. If no one died - how could more arise? Everything dies - otherwise there could be no new life. This is reality. Only a fool could imagine they will live forever.

Yes - I can see how you must think that if you are not prepared to accept the reality of the life and death circle. Your time in this world is temporary - of course - but the world is less temporary than you - and despite your desire to be forever - is not going to miss you. Any more than it will miss me. wink

What is. Now. I cannot think of tomorrow as reality because it has not happened yet. Que sera sera. All I can do is be the best I perceive to be in the time I have. I personally hope I have made a positive impression. Nothing more.

Good question Dent.

6. kess profile image59
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see you discard all the visible and tangible as reality except that which suits your false religious belief.

But even those promises that you seek after are also the product of the visible and tangible and they are themselves the visible and tangible.

I wish You will stop being double mined ( hypocrite) as christianity would love you to be. 

My reality is Truth within me.

7. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the more we intelectualize about "IT"
      (what ever concerns you)  the more obscure it becomes.

8. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Reality for me is that i often come across claims which are not backed up with proof but are just sweeping statements and put it as truth or reality for others. I wish such delusion of some people is temporary. roll

9. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This philosophy is called Maya in Hinduism, an illusion ,the ultimate reality is god the Light.

2. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Everyday I open my eyes and thank God for this reality. It's good to be alive!

3. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Reality is 'here & now'.  God is real, ever-present, and eternal.

4. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 14 years ago

I believe the universe is infinite, and so is time. What once was, shall be again, and once it dies, it will rise again. Over, and over, and over, and over, and without it ever stopping. Ever.

It's humans to believe that there is always a beginning and an end, because we can't grasp nor fathom that something could potentially have always existed because it's outside our realm of comprehension. We are born, we age, we die. We buy a new car, we drive it into the ground, and it gets crushed in a junkyard. We get those new pair of jeans, they are used, we throw them away. Etc. It's the only thing we know and it's the only thing we see.

I believe reality to be always existing, both past, present, and future. There was no beginning, and there is no end. Since there was no beginning and no end, there is no middle either. You can't have a middle without a beginning and an end. It's like saying you are holding a string, and that string has no ends, so what would that make it? A circle? Is life a circle? Does it keep happening again and again? Or does it keep going one direction and it goes on forever?

Perhaps I'm getting a bit 4th or 5th dimensional here. I can rant on all day about thoughts hehe.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in full agreement. From death comes life, and from life, must come death. I wish people could see the beauty in such simple truths.

5. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Some eastern philosophies believe that this life is an illusion. That what is real is our connection to God. It's only we that have perceived that we are somehow separated from him by being in this life. It's like waking from a bad dream. If you dreamed that someone tries to kill you, you wouldn't wake up and call 911 because it's all an illusion.

It's because this life is actually an illusion (in these philosophies) that we are able to forgive. Forgiveness breaks the bondage we form by holding resentments/hatred for others. We are negatively bound to them until real forgiveness can take place. Only then can we be liberated, and then once again fully feel our connection to God.

I'm not sure what I believe. I used to have all the answers because I read the scriptures, taught the scriptures, raised a Christian family, etc., etc. However, the promises never came to pass for me. Instead I lost everything--family, possessions, friends, homes--twice. I now have more questions than answers.

But the philosophy that I described above makes more sense to me than anything else at this point in my life. But there doesn't seem to be much real evidence with many real answers. So you have to dig deeper. And I don't trust my own instincts much, and let alone never trusting anyone else's. (Not after what I've been through.)

I'm a hardcore skeptic. I try not to be a pessimist, but I'm only moderately successful at that.

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Job lost everything he had also. His wife even tried to get him to curse God and die. Job refused to do such a thing. I cannot say why you lost all that you did because I don't know.

I think we all have more questions than answers. This in itself does not negate God nor His Word. One thing Job did. He held onto God as much as possbile while everything around him fell apart. This is what we all should do.

I will be praying for you.

I know the story of Job very well. I spent weeks teaching the meanings and symbols of the story many years ago.

I feel more at peace in my life than I ever have, yet the older I get the fewer answers I seem to find. Reaching deeper is a difficult thing. But in order to maintain sanity and not become completely imbittered by the world, it's the only thing one can do, I believe.

Thanks for your kindness, SirDent.

2. donotfear profile image82
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did not know this about you Daniel. I'm sorry you had to go through such a difficult storm. You've got a hard exterior shell making it hard for one to see beyond it. Now I see why and I read more meaning into your comments. Thanks for sharing this and giving me a better understanding. I like your take on forgiveness. So real here. Thanks.

3. kess profile image59
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Daniel you have truly Identified Christianity as a false religious system.

Now where do you go now you have paid an earthly price?

The truth is all that you need is already within you. If you begin to know then you are able to Trust. And that is then your faith.

There is the reality of Truth within you, strive yo know it then He will teach you all things and would not require the wisdom of Men, for in you is the wisdom of God.

For the reality of the Christ you onced preached is that Spirit of Truth in you and in all things.

If you seek inward for Truth  you will find it in all things.

Yes, Kess, I've learned that goodness and truth is in me. What I need to do is develop and nurture it. I'm the answer to the questions and the solution the problems. But that's easier to embrace as a philosophy than it is to live in daily life. Some days that all comes together. Others, it does not.

However, the process for me, is steady, and I'm in a good place in my life now. It's taken a long time to get here, but I'm glad I'm this far.

6. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

The key to life is this: Live everyday to the best of your ability.  Don't sit on the sidelines and watch life pass you by.

Even though it may be temporary, that doesn't mean that one must sit back an do nothing.  Life is real, and we must take part in it.

As far as the afterlife, that's up to each individual to decide.  Perception is different for everyone.

7. profile image62
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

It is because they fear the reality that they deny it!

8. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

Does it really matter if it's temporary or real? Finally, it's what you feel that matters - and maybe as important, how you make others feel.

1. Aya Katz profile image82
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shalini, yes! And besides, who says that just because something is temporary it's not real!

9. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

I appreciate the comments and diversity of opinions. I did happen to notice that a couple of people had to poke and prod a little instead of just stating their opnions. I suppose that is OK, but it does nothing to help a conversation.

10. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Life truly is impermanence. I dont have the same cocept of God that you have but I believe the infinite dimension is energy. We come from it and return to it.

11. dfager profile image59
    dfagerposted 14 years ago

Daniel, I see your thoughts more in line with Christianity than most of the world's Christianity.  The truth is, that as humans, we are all so limited by our subjective selves.  Yet, if we don't acknowledge it honestly, we can never find anything greater than ourselves.  You can't possibly relate to God as anyone but yourself.  If you follow doctrine, then you become a slave to it.  You can't truly worship God as a slave.  If you follow the concept of truth as people claim that truth is objective, then are you not a slave to someone else’s definition?  The same with God, if you trust in someone else’s authority to tell you who God is, then it’s the same as worshiping someone else’s god?

I only really differ with your point of view in finding god within.  I try to become egoless and less centered on myself and my limited perspective by dieing to myself, so I can realize reality and God anew.  It’s like standing under a Niagra Falls with a cup but the living water flows through and never dies.

It sounds as if we similar perspectives. Thanks for the comment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)