Interesting Article - How Easter and Christianity undermine atheism

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

I am a Christian, and this weekend holds much significance for me. We celebrate the most important event that has happened on this earth. Although this article may be controversial, I am grateful for my beliefs in the Savior, Jesus Christ, his mission and his atonement.

You can read this article from USA Today if you like:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/fo … heists.htm

feel free to leave any comments. I mean this as no offense to any one.

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A very nice article in defense of Christianity. Thanks for sharing. smile

2. Merlin Fraser profile image59
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think the article was controversial....just wrong !

I have no idea why anyone without Pagan beliefs would find anything to celebrate this weekend, certainly not those who claim Christianity

Early Christians had no idea when their so called Messiah was born so they take over and try and lay claim to the Pagan Holly Day of December 25th the Birth day of our Sun God.   Falsely claiming it as the birthday of the Son of God,  Nice twist but wrong.

They have absolutely no idea when and or if their hero was crucified by the Roman’s there is certainly no date so in their wisdom they take over another of our sacred festivals that of Spring a celebration of fertility, new life  and new beginnings.    I doubt they even know the significance of the name, the clues in the name; “Easter ! ”  The Pagan Goddess of Fertility, hands up all you happy clappy Christians dishing out Easter Eggs and Easter Bunnies, symbols of new life and fertility.  Nothing to do with anybody getting nailed to anything....

People in America are not turning to Atheism they are merely turning away from the lie that is Christianity, like the people of many European countries they are waking up to the truth, Man invented God not the other way around.  They are finally working out for themselves that religion, all of them, is a manmade power play, always was.

Why else do you think there is this upsurge of lies and half truths aimed at any who they consider has strayed from the path....?  The evangelical will lie and cheat to keep the myth alive, it is a battle they are losing and this scares them.

1. profile image48
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    3. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This article is absurd, Medical science has proven that chemical reaction causes thought proces, learning and adapting. Human responses senses touch, sight are physical, and so are Thoughts and reason. They are caused by Biological brain function.....

to deny the basic functioning of the Human body as mysteries is a smoke and mirror attempt at protecting something that does not exhist.

As a Christian I would be embarrassed at such an amature and obvious attempt like this.

geeeze what  a waist.

4. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"The problem is that this really isn’t a theory at all. It’s a superstition; a myth that basically says that everything in life — our thoughts, our emotions, our hopes, our ambitions, our passions, our memories, our philosophies, our politics, our beliefs in God and salvation and damnation — that all of this is merely the result of biochemical reactions and the movement of molecules in our brain.

What nonsense.

We can’t reduce the whole of reality to what our senses tell us for the simple reason that our senses are notorious for lying to us. Our senses tell us that the world is flat, and yet it’s not. Our senses tell us that the world is chaotic, and yet we know that on both a micro and a macro level, it’s incredibly organized. Our senses tell us that we’re stationary, and yet we’re really moving at incredible speeds. We just can’t see it."

The preceding quote from the link provided shows the authors main argument regarding atheism.

The first part claims atheism is a "myth and superstition" based on the reasoning that humans operate entirely on the physical aspects of "biochemical reactions."

While this very well maybe an argument an atheist would bring up in a discussion, it is not the premise nor is required for atheism as a position.

The author has essentially set up the ground work for a strawman fallacy by creating a distorted version of atheism while making the claim of superstition and myth.

To close the strawman, the author offers the rebuttal in the form of a self-contradicting explanation, using the argument that our senses lie to us, all the while using examples of which the former preconception and the latter solution both required the use of our senses.

Such an obvious contradiction would show that either the author is incredibly one dimensional and elementary in thinking or is just simply ranting about atheism and being dishonest.

smile

5. superwags profile image66
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've got to say, I know the article is an opinion piece, but it was fundamentally wrong. The "belief" in the material existence of things is not a view reserved for atheists! Presumably you're sitting on a solid chair right now?! A staggeringly weird thing to claim! 

I don't wish to upset your beliefs, but we KNOW that Easter the way written in the bible never happened. There was no crucifixion of Jesus - and it certainly didn't happen to coincide with already existing pagan festivals.

I don't wish to bang this drum again because if you wanted to do some historical reading on Easter, you would have already.

6. twobmad profile image60
      twobmadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But for me what I care is Jesus Christ had died and through his death I have overcome the death with him and have eternal life.

Regarding the Easter, as many of you mentioned, it was borrowed from other paganism. Therefore a lot of Fundamental Baptist churches do not observe Easter and Christmas.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Geez, you're doing much better than me.

You must be one of those great christians that have a better life than we mere humans and can live forever/ 

I, on the other hand along with my beautiful grandchildren are going to be tortured in the depths of hell interminably! lol

2. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

".....and this scares them."
    Oh, yes, we are trembling in our boots! lol

3. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years ago

As Merlin Fraser correctly points out, most Xtian festivals were transplanted onto pre-existing pagan festivals.  This is  a matter of recorded history.

1. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

During times of great persecution, it was a very clever way to celebrate your own faith, whilst being "under the radar", so to speak.
      But, sadly, these Pagan traditions infiltrated and contaminated the REAL story.
      It doesn't cancel out, or negate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. smile

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
        AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are many different theories about exactly what the "real story" actually is.  History documents this, too; for example when groups such as the Cathars and Gnostics were persecuted, tortured and executed by the Xtian church for having a different version of the "real story".

2. profile image48
  4. Peter Owen profile image59
    Peter Owenposted 13 years ago

Disappointed in this article since it doesn't say anything other than grasping at straws.
    Quoting Albert Einstein doesn't help - his discoveries of laws of physics so radically changed scientific thinking - and opened the door for the premise that there is no god. He realized this and tried for the rest of his life, without success, to disprove his own theories. Every year his theories are verified scientifically.
    I am not an atheist, and was brought up catholic. And I continue to be totally confused.
    Current shows such as The Borgias on TV don't instill much confidence in the catholic church. A number of popes had wives and kids, And mistresses. They used, and still use, fear as their major weapon. These are the same popes who decided what stories would go into the Bible and which would not.
    Yet this doesn't push me to Atheism, just a complete abhorance with religions.

1. profile image48

Important points to note

2. Merlin Fraser profile image59
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps the quote, "Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true," might help you understand.

5. Jesus was a hippy profile image58
    Jesus was a hippyposted 13 years ago

From the article on USA today;

"Of course, it’s not quite fair to say that atheists believe in nothing. They do believe in something — the philosophical theory known as Materialism, which states that the only thing that exists is matter"

Typical. Yet another attempt at attacking(?) atheism when you dont even know what atheism is. It is simply the lack of belief in a god. Not every atheist is a materialist. Every materialist is a materialist but every atheist is simply someone who doesnt believe in a god.

And then it goes on to bash atheism based on more lies and false pretences. As if we dont know where emotions come from.

Give me a break. The author of this article should be ashamed. Dont they consider it imoral to tell lies?

6. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Ew.  Talk about links that go to stuff that's too aggravating to even read, because of flashing ads and the like...

Anyway, although I didn't stay past the giant, moving, ad before clicking away, I'd disagree that Easter undermines atheism.  Many people view Easter as a celebration of Spring and re-birth, apart from any religious meaning once tied to the day.  Everything associated with all that goes on in Spring is something most people who are at least a shred tuned into "the wonders of Nature" (and for some, a sense of spirituality) can appreciate and celebrate the whole thing.  Celebrating Easter doesn't necessarily mean someone is religious, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're "nothing but materialistic".

7. DoubleScorpion profile image77
    DoubleScorpionposted 13 years ago

Lets suppose that the crucifixion is indeed correct and those of the christian faith have the days correct...or at least close... The bible clearly states that Jesus rose from the grave on the first day of the week...so either Easter should be on Mondays or the Sabbath should be on Saturday...Anyway you look at it...if you choose not to observe or admit to the observance of where easter truly came from, then, at least, figure out the correct versions of days that you  do wish to observe...

Just my thoughts...

1. profile image48

Bible is written, more coorectly made-up, by non-believing scribes who have deserted Jesus alone to suffer on the Cross; so things in Bible don't match up, very naturally.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)