What is sin?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (65 posts)
  1. pennyofheaven profile image79
    pennyofheavenposted 12 years ago

Here's Wikipedia's version

......A sin (also called peccancy) is an act that violates a known moral rule. The term sin may also refer to the state of having committed such a violation. Commonly, the moral code of conduct is decreed by a divine entity[citation needed], i.e. divine law.......

If we were born with sin according to the christian belief system then a moral rule or moral code of conduct would have had to existed before we were born.

If Jesus died for our sins then sin shouldn't exist anymore and his said sacrifice was not how it was depicted in the bible and could have meant something totally different.

Sin like most other words mean different things to different people.  So I am interested in your views on sin. What does sin mean to you?

1. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sin is the breaking of God's law (1 John 3:4). Also, it is disobeying God or rebellion against God (Deuteronomy 9:7).

pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So in your view, the known moral law according to wikipedia is Gods law that would have had to exist prior to us being born?

1. Knight6 profile image62
          Knight6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

sin in real terms is when you let your own moral rules down we all have it in us to know the difference between right and wrong as we grow we learn more of the differences from the people around us and from our own mistakes after a time we set our own moral rules as for being born with sin i fail too see what horrid thing was done that was so bad to justify such a sin to be past on to our childern and dont give me the adam and eve story because that is all it is a story

Going against what is naturally inherent then? Shaping and molding it as we experience life?

2. heavenbound5511 profile image66
      heavenbound5511posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sin is anything that separates us from God or leads us away from God.

16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.> Prov 6

A new commandment I give to you, That you love one another; as I (Jesus) have loved you, that you also love one another.> John 13:34
      This verse has more to it than it may appear because it is reminding us of what Jesus went through for us - His love for us is what kept His focus  not matter how bad the torment, temptation, fear, pain, or mocking got he still chose to do what was right because He loved us and wanted to save us!
      Love covers a multitude of sins - God's love = Jesus death and resurrection that gave us a way to be forgiven and restored.

How can anything separate us from God if God is in all things? Or are you referring more to awareness of Gods existence?

3. kess profile image59
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This world is built upon the foundation that men will not know the nature and way of sin, thus they will create it so that it will work against their own selves But the true nature of sin is this; Sin is that which does not exist neither can it be....this is why it is inevitably link with death ...

So we see when men who dies relate to sin they would do so in a way that does not show  the true nature of it, otherwise they himself would have understood enough to know and gain freedom from it thus eliminating death from within himself...

To achieve this goal one must change the way he thinks....that is the repentance as spoken by those before who escaped the clothes of death...but ofcourse some will take that to mean to indulge themselves in a more sinful way of living....nevertheless  this need to happen so as the end of sin and death be accomplished .

So are you saying in other words, that in deviating from our true nature there occurs a metaphorical death of awareness. Man then has created the concept of sin to explain this unawareness of our true nature?

4. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sin = Falling short of God's Glory.

What is your understanding of Gods glory?

1. aka-dj profile image65

Perfection. Purity. Holiness.

Does anyone know what perfection, purity or holiness actually is? How would you describe them?

1. aka-dj profile image65

Any good dictionary will answer that one much better than I could.

I guess it comes down to knowing the nature of God, and then sin (imperfection, impurity, unholiness etc) is easy to understand. None of us measure up to that standard.

As long as we try to define sin by comparing each others' behaviour, and/or morals, breaking rules and laws, we will not agree. It becomes subjective.
              In which case I can understand people objecting to someone else "pushing" their morals on them.
              A NO NO, in my opinion.

Oh yes I understand what you are pointing to.

5. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Notice how ridiculous such a concept is when brought out for examination. Essentially, new-born babies automatically violate known moral rules decreed by divine law.

How exactly do they do that? lol

The way wikipedia describes it, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me no.

A known moral law, would mean that it existed prior to us being born, and this would mean we automatically already know this moral law. We cannot violate that which we don't know, like babies.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Babies are born into a world of sin, because of Adam and Eve's sin.  But the children aren't born sinful.  They can't make a choice to sin or not sin until they're mature enough.  The Bible says even a child is known by his ways, but that just means the child is born into a world where those laws exist.

So are you saying sin is a choice..not a inbred characteristic of oneself?

1. profile image0

Yes, simplistically.   Like I said, though, a child (or even sometimes an adult) may commit a sin without realizing it's a sin at the time.  Humans (aside from maybe people who are born with mental defects etc.) are born with a conscience.  Sometimes it takes guidance and/or maturity to be able to listen to that conscience.

So sin could be described then as lack of conscience in your view? So conscience is the known moral law to have existed prior to our arrival in this world?

1. profile image0

God laid down the Law to Adam and Eve.  Conscience is what kicked in after they sinned.  So yes, conscience existed.  And conscience is the vehicle through which the Holy Spirit convinces people of their sins.

The tree of knowledge of good and evil then?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

No problem then. A child grows up in a family in which the parents have taught morals and values to the child based on logic, reason and rationale, and by sheer coincidence of living such a life, the person never sins according to the laws of God. That person therefore does not need religion.

1. profile image0
              brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One problem.
              Not sharing ones life with God is sin.
              We can have this life without God but one cannot hope to attain any part of the next life without God.

1. Jerami profile image59
                Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What if they believe in God;?  but are using a different set of crayons when they are painting their picture of that God? (metaphoricaly speaking)

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

I don't see how that's a problem at all. There are billions of believers all over the planet and they each have their own distinctive way in which they are "sharing one's life with God" - yours is but one way, just like everybody else.

That would put you and everyone else in the distinct position of not having authority or opinion on how another shares their life with God, just as you wouldn't want someone else giving authority over yours.

No problem.

6. profile image32
      saisarannagaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sins are really mistakes committed knowingly or unknowingly. If knowingly done, there will be definite punishment and if done unknowingly, we may pray God for mercy. In every religion there are certain maxims prescribed for the conduct of human beings. When we transgress those maxims, we incur sins.

7. profile image0
      jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you do something not of my liking Thats sin. smile

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Sin is whatever the person watching and disapproving says it is.  Especially if they have the political power to stop it.

How do you mean? Do you mean that it is a decision made by an individual or a group?

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Both.  Either.

The comments was actually a little sarcastic  as everyone seems to have a different definition.

I even have my own: sin is willfully and unnecessarily hurting someone else.

So ill/evil (can't decide which word to use) intended acts?

If an act is unintentional (accidental perhaps) then it is not evil.  If I trip when walking, fall on someone else and break their arm it is not sinful or evil.  Careless perhaps (or maybe a cat ran between my feet), and that carelessness might be sinful, but the act of breaking the arm isn't sinful.

Nor is it sinful to hurt your self.  Stupid, maybe, but not sinful.

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Sin is someone's idea of what they disapprove of in others but not themselves. smile

Not necessarily a religious concept then?

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I think sins are simply the actions of the individual that make them feel, within themselves, as if they have done wrong. I think it has less to do with some universal definition of which actions are sin than it has to do with how your actions make you feel about yourself.

I know the christians will vehemently argue this point, and I’m not attempting to imply that murder is OK if you think it is. I think the ‘thou shalt nots’ were all about ensuring that you understood you had no right to infringe on the rights of others. But, I think the concept of sin is more of a personal thing and it is truly different for everyone.

Your actions in the physical world that cause you grief and worry force you to spend emotional time and energy that could have better been used elsewhere. They pull you down, not lift you up. They are a cloud on your spirit that makes it more difficult to feel worthy of a spiritual connection.

It appears you are describing what Kess describes... just in a different sense?

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've got me on that one. I have a hard time following what Kess is trying to say sometimes.  But, when I can, I oft times agree.  So, let's just say I am in agreement with him. smile

5. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

For me, "sin" is anything which adds to "ego" (selfishness).

Original sin is that selfishness which turned away from our true spiritual nature and wallowed in the physical dichotomies of reality -- good-evil, right-wrong, generous-selfish, etc.

Yehoshua dying for our sins, for me, means nothing unless we "follow Christ."

Some so-called Christians say they "follow Christ," but use their "saved" status as a "get out of Hell free" card, so they can do any manner of crime and still go to Heaven. Are they really "following" Christ, or is it a self-deception? Are they instead "following ego" (the master of this world)?

So ego in its effort to rule the realm is cloaking the individual in illusion and as we add to this illusion it is describing sin?

6. earnestshub profile image81

Sin is something a religionist projects on to others. smile

How does one project a concept on to others?

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, first you decide what is right and wrong based on what you do or believe others may do that is "wrong"
        By standards based on religious beliefs in this case, then project those wrongs on to others that you would rather had them than themselves.

Projection is seeing your own faults, but only in others.

A common problem for religious fanatics is that they may pillage without the good lord beating them to a bloody pulp daily for all I know, but they don't get that others aren't as bad as they are. smile

Other people then are only reflecting what we ourselves project? These projections are based solely on our own internal belief system that is derived from our own frame of references and parameters of perception.

Sin therefore is created by oneself?

I couldn't decipher your first paragraph, ( probably my problem not yours.)
            Yes, I see no other source of what some call sin, than the unrecognised self.

Yes that said it more simply.

Thanks. smile

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
                  Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would go with that too.

I wonder how many sins, would i be breaking here. If I happen to be born in a country like Iraq under their consititsional God of Ali,

Either way, loving everyone just does not do it or will count, unless you say – my God is better than your God, which often flares up sin tax anyway.

7. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

to "sin" was originally taken from an archery term, which means "to miss the mark".

Oh wow. That puts a spin on the meaning.

2. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's correct. That's the origin of the Hebrew term ("het"). Sin is more straight-forward in Judaism than it is in Christianity, where it is more of an obsession.

8. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

sin(s) is/are mistakes that Christians make during the course of their lifetime. Its not a big deal. We need not inhale and make the ahhhhhhh sound or gasp aloud. People are fallible, God knows this. If He were not trying to do an important work He would not give a care or His ways would be different. God says, love your enemies - but this one enemy really gets my goat. God says do not commit adultery - but the married woman next door is so hot she gets my blood boiling. On that last point, David thought Bathsheba was a hottie and she got his blood boiling to the point that David sent her husband to the front lines in war, in which very very few ever survived, then he married Bathsheba. Yet God did not stop working with David and said, 'David is a man after my own heart' but God did reject David from building the temple. This is the love and grace of God toward His creations. We fail - sometimes hugely - we make mistakes - even big ones - but God gave His son that whosoever might not perish but have eternal life.
    So sins exist because God made the rules, obviously God made the rules, i mean what society ever says, 'the things we like to do and are prone to do are wrong'. So obviously the rules came from an outside source who knows better, but the jist of my story is this, sin happens, pick yourself up christian, and learn and invite God to strengthen you so it doesn't happen again.

I like that I as a non-christian I cannot sin.  No more Hell for me! smile

1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
        DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

you are "doing you", perfectly, you cannot mess it up. there are no worries.

That makes sense.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79

Could those mistakes be like not following the natural order of things. Kinda like if spring were to occur after summer instead of before. The natural order of all things will change and it will be a change we are not prepared for..

9. OutWest profile image57
    OutWestposted 12 years ago

James 4:17
    Today's New International Version (TNIV)

17 So then, if you know the good you ought to do and don’t do it, you sin.

To me this has nothing to do with morals, which is how most people define sin.  This, to me, shows that anytime we do not do what we know is good and in our heart we sin.  It is very personal and really has nothing to do with religion or God but has to do with how we are living from moment to moment.

That, somewhat works

Because everyone already knows what is generally right from wrong. Then we can always adjust those mistakes.

1. OutWest profile image57
        OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And I think it even goes as far as knowing what is right and wrong for the individual.  In other words what may be a sin for me may not neccesarily be a sin for you.

A good degree of truth in that too

For example: USA leads Christians to double morals more than any other group or place I have ever experienced. Each ego group around the world have their own set of morals and often enough they break natures ethics in order to protect their assume prefect set of morals, in which, does not apply for everyone

10. earnestshub profile image81

Sins are someone else's idea of what YOU should believe and do.

A religious construct like the word atheist.

Other people trying to mind your business in other words.

11. jay_kumar_07 profile image60
    jay_kumar_07posted 12 years ago

Blood of JESUS gives you the power to over come If you feel the sin in your function.
    Example-1. We can over come if we feel sin in seeing opposite with lust.Most of us
               not interested.
            2.We can over come if we feel sin in thoughts[cruel,angry,lust &sex].Most
              of us not interested.
            3. We can over come if we feel sin in speech.Most of us not interested to
              control our tongue.
            4. We can over come if we feel sin in eating food.
            5. We can over come if we feel sin in sex.
    We have the power to over come all sins. But not interested means what.

JESUS told that I won and you all can be win.
    It means what.

12. profile image52
    luthercropposted 12 years ago

sin is the simplest form of  DISBELIEVE...the moment you stop believing in what you know is the truth the that is the moment u start sinning

13. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

What is sin?

Doing anything which is not pro-life is sin.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)