What is the first thing you notice about someone?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 96 discussions (139 posts)
  1. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

When you first meet someone, what do you notice first? Their shoes-their clothing-their hair? What is the best accessory someone can have-that they should never leave home without? When I first notice an individual- I notice their posture... It says a lot about a person. Someone that stands up strait-looks forward not down-says confident. A person who slouches and hangs their head low-says, uncomfortable, and perhaps give a vibe that they are unapproachable and unfriendly. I am not suggesting that this is true all of the time-just that it is the first impression. I believe that a person that always carries a smile-carries their most precious accessory. Smiles as well as a frown are contagious.
    So how about you-what do you first notice on a person? What is the best accessory?

1. Chris_S profile image61
      Chris_Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First the face, then I key in on their eyes, then teeth & mouth, then hair, then nails. Body and clothing are last.

H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why the nails?

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

their smile!

3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As the song goes "first I look at the purse"!

All kidding aside I notice different things depending on the point of view when I take notice. Far away, left, right, behind, relative to where I am standing, their position, sitting, standing, or perhaps walking all affect what I notice first.

4. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The eyes - they reveal a lot.

5. monaz profile image61
      monazposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like people with a ready smile.And oh yes I observe their hands.

6. ThatFranzKid profile image59
      ThatFranzKidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I first notice someone, besides taking in their physical appearance, which is inescapable, I first notice the way they speak. I will admit that I am slightly biased towards their accent, but their manner of speaking and usage of vocabulary are what I tend to judge.

Improper grammar and the like really turn me off when I'm first meeting a new person; it makes me think they're unintelligent.

7. prettylaura profile image62
      prettylauraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There face of course.

8. profile image57
      Mya Davisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The first thing I notice is their face, their expressions, just their overall expressions.

9. profile image52
      kellyksposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Every person notices something or the other. So Yeah, I also notice a lot of things since I have a very keen eye towards someone’s personality.  So when I meet a new person, a guy or a girl, the first thing that catches my attention is their figure and height. A tall, fit and good looking person always attracts my attention first in a crowd. But then my observation doesn’t stop here as this is only the appearance I was referring to. There are hell lot of things which I observe when I meet someone for the first time. Firstly their clothes and then their shoes and most importantly their stubble and their hair style. I have been a school counselor so the feelings of discipline are embedded deep inside of me. I like people who are fit, good looking and have clean and neat hair style and are smartly dressed. Apart from this, their eyes and their way of talking is also very important. Just after a 5 minute conversation I can decided if this is the person who is worth the time or not. In these 5 minutes I find out the intellectual level of a person so practically intellectual level is all that matters. I don’t really want to body sham someone but that’s just the way I see things. So yeah some of you might feel that I kind of indulge in scanning process. And I would also not disagree on that. For me it is a mix and match of everything that counts to make an impression of someone.

1. stylecoachmegan profile image57
        stylecoachmeganposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the person and his nature. Some people only check dressing sense, communication. You can read this to know the essentials every women need in her closet http://meganlarussa.com/the-5-basics-ev … er-closet/

2. profile image52
        Linda Stormposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I love a nice smile and a hello.

3. Sofija Trujic profile image60
        Sofija Trujicposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thats a great question.
        Okay, maybe teeth, but its only because I wore braces for years, and always had a problem with smiling in public. And since I got them off, a minute wouldnt pass, without me smiling like a little child. So yeah, I would say teeth.
        And also shoes, but thats only because I love shoes..

4. Fancy Poet Girl profile image79
        Fancy Poet Girlposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I notice their expressions. It tells me a lot on whether or not they're willing to be approached.

5. charles2k2 profile image60
        charles2k2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Huh, I'm very sensitive person i notice smallest details like: body movements, facial expressions, sparkle in the eyes and emotions.

10. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Whether they are male or female

11. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years ago

The look in their eyes.

1. Paradise7 profile image70
        Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, that's what I see first.  I check the person's eyes.

12. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

their eyes for both male and female

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Obviously !

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lololol,the expression in their eyes, I like green eyes...intoxicated eyes

1. tantrum profile image59
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't care about the colour. the look is what interests me

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
              prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really like green colored eye, specially with that tantalizing green eyes, sometimes it turn to hazel..

13. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

the whole package, what does the person project~~

I have felt particularly drawn to people for no obvious reason, we all give off our own energy.

14. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 14 years ago

Their hair.

15. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Their face.

16. dejajolie profile image61
      dejajolieposted 14 years ago

eyes, mouth and teeth

17. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

How they carry themselves and whether they are male or female -- unless I hear them first, then it is whether or not their voice sounds relaxed and confident.

18. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

for me it's the eyes and their smile...they both tell me a lot about a person.

19. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Butt.

1. Taranwanderer profile image61
        Taranwandererposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lol I also check out her butt if it's a woman

20. europewalker profile image79
      europewalkerposted 14 years ago

The eyes and smile

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Body language.

21. H.C Porter profile image80
      H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

So the things that most people notice are eyes and mouth/teeth... What are you looking for when you look into someones eyes? Or when you get a glimpse of their smile?

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What if they have no teeth?

For me, I suspect (although I'd not care to stake my life on it) that what I notice first depends one heckuva lot on circumstances.  A few examples:

--People headed my way on the sidewalk as I'm strolling through gang territory.  Here I'm looking first for numbers, body language, weapons, and how they're positioned strategically.

--Pretty girl going away from me, then I'm checking out the hip action.  It's how I got married 7 times.  Pretty tail, who cares about the rest, don't date her, just marry her.

--If eye contact is possible and appropriate, then yes, that for sure.  Today in Wal-Mart, a tall girl and I passed each other (going opposite directions) and there was a flash in her eyes that said she knew I'd been admiring the view.  Had, too:  Nice form, well clad, great confident stride, hot boots.

--If in the men's john, then I notice whether the other guy is paying attention to his business and not mine. lol

1. maudine_05 profile image61
          maudine_05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!!ha!ha!ha! I couldn't stop laughing just by reading Ghost32's replies...he just rocks...HIPS!!! man, your wives must have gotten crazy having you...anyways, for me when I look at someone's eyes when they smile it shows their soul whether they smile genuine or just a FAKE!

2. dejajolie profile image61
          dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Great response~ so well thought out

3. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

this explains alot for me...
          Ive never been on a date, engaged 3 times and married for 10 years....

2. dejajolie profile image61
        dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I notice the eyes because I like to see the shape (almond shaped, etc.)you can see if someone is sincere or confident if they are looking at you or "through" you. I look at the mouth because I like nice full lips, and clean, straight teeth.

22. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

can't say what exactly, but i tend to pick up on sadness..... also when someone is energetic, i try to be around that person, and see if it will rub off on me

23. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

definitely the eyes initially. Arms/hands/body language secondly.

24. Ladybird33 profile image67
      Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

sounds silly I know, but first their calves (well toned legs are impressive) and then their eyes, the expression, your can read what type of person they are in their eyes.

25. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years ago

First things I notice...for gilrs, is she looking at me like I might need to fight? The nasty glare, head to toe and back up, toss the head and smirk? Or does she smile and look friendly?
      For guys, height, shoulders and hands. For both, how are they dressed? just stuff I notice...once I actaully start to talk to a person, I look at the eyes.

26. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think for me it depends on the person.  Most people have something that stands out - beautiful eyes, beautiful hair, ugly eyes, ugly hair, etc.  I guess I probably notice whatever stands out the most first.  Strangely, I don't put a lot to weight to smiles.  It's too easy for a lot of people to slap on a phony smile for "social purposes".

H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely... People can change depending on social occasions and surroundings... phony smile- sad eyes as well as more dramatic changes like changing hair color- getting a nose job or lypo- we have the ability to change just about every physical characteristic that God and nature gave to us.. So physical characteristics-I make an attempt; not pay attention to-I more so focus on the way the person carrys themselves.

27. Fugitive From Now profile image60
      Fugitive From Nowposted 14 years ago

Vocabulary

28. Anath profile image63
      Anathposted 14 years ago

1)Height, I like tall men.
      2)Eyes
      3)Mouth and teeth.  I like a kissable mouth with "meety" lips and could never kiss someone with ugly teeth!
      4)Hands.  I used to go for the  "well manicured look" now I am starting to prefer big and strong ones instead.

29. bittybrasize profile image61
      bittybrasizeposted 14 years ago

hmm... probably something about how they carry themselves. That's the best I can do to explain my strange way of noticing people. It's sort of their entire manner and presentation and how it comes across... definitely not any one physical feature, unless it's something really unusual.

30. The Rope profile image60
      The Ropeposted 14 years ago

The most amazing thing is that I can rarely tell you anything specific about a person I've seen or met but can describe their personality with specifics.  In the 60's and 90's someone would have called it their "aura" but whatever it is, the personality is the first thing I notice.  I didn't even know my honey's eye color until 6 months into the relationship.  I know..."weird".

31. hoodieweather profile image59
      hoodieweatherposted 14 years ago

Hair and smile. Then it's shoes.

smile

32. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Sometimes it is not what you see first that catches the attention, but what you hear:

Laughter...
      Anger...
      A teasing tone...

Or smell: 

Horse...
      Campfire smoke...
      Too much perfume...
      Beer...
      Cigarette smoke...
      Cat poop...

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol   Although I've met a few people who smell too much like perfume or beer, I can't say I've met anyone who smells like campfire smoke, horse, or cat "poop".  lol  That certainly would be enough to create a bad impression.  Either you meet a real lot of people, or else you're hanging out in the wrong circles.  lol

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know lots of people who smell liek campfires, and my motehr smells like cat poop. I am not joking. She has about 10 cats in her house...

33. QuirkyPearl profile image60
      QuirkyPearlposted 14 years ago

That distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person that I call their aura...

1. bittybrasize profile image61
        bittybrasizeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that!

34. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I notice their eyes and how they react to the energy I give off; irrespective of male, female, animal or alien.
      What you give, you get smile

35. drej2522 profile image67
      drej2522posted 14 years ago

I like the eyes as well...

or redheads!

36. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

Weather there armed and what kind of weapon there carrying.My EX had a razor sharp wit,she cut me at every opportunity lol...or I'll cry...

37. pocketaus profile image59
      pocketausposted 14 years ago

The jawline, on a male I love square jaws. They just fascinate me.

38. Sexy jonty profile image58
      Sexy jontyposted 14 years ago

attitude ........

39. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

their aura...seriously

40. Anamika S profile image69
      Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

Manners

41. creativeone59 profile image68
      creativeone59posted 14 years ago

The first thing I notice about a person is their eyes, I was told the eyes are the windows of the soul. I think the eyes tell you a  lot about a person.  creativeone59

42. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Their face and eyes.

43. Helen Cater profile image61
      Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

Their skin.

44. andromida profile image57
      andromidaposted 14 years ago

I notice the way he/she talks and of course body language.Sometimes I pay attention to dress sense or the color of the clothes..

45. JulietduPreez profile image68
      JulietduPreezposted 14 years ago

How they are responding to me - even if they haven't spoken yet.

46. KKarrington profile image58
      KKarringtonposted 14 years ago

The way they stand. It's proof of their confidence or lack thereof.

47. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

It would depend on the circumstances for meeting.

After that, I would be paying attention to every detail, body language, words, the way they talk, eye contact and be looking for honesty.

Honesty is the only thing the body can not hide. If your intent is dishonest, your body will give it away.

48. profile image50
      davitezposted 14 years ago

the first thing i notice are their eyes and nose.

49. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years ago

Eyes and smile. I also really like men's hands. Weird - I know.

1. profile image61
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not weird!  I had a woman once tell me she loved my hands and all she had done is seen them.
        Other women have stared at my hands and you could just see their minds start to imagine if it is true what they say about big hands and big feet.  In fact they asked me straight out.  I told them that there is only one way for them to find out!

50. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Their hair.

1. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You would probably hate me then . I have 5 strands left and some gray ones ! smile

51. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years ago

Their mind?

52. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

overall attractivness, until I get closer, then it's their eyes.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's just so physical of you wink

2. floating mind profile image70
        floating mindposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with mistyhorizon2003.  But I also notice their voice and  height.

53. hubber-2009 profile image57
      hubber-2009posted 14 years ago

Look Down..

54. sannyasinman profile image59
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Woman - overall body shape
      Man - overall body shape.

55. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

eyes and nails

56. hannahz profile image70
      hannahzposted 14 years ago

definitely their smile!

57. Carmen Borthwick profile image59
      Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years ago

The eyes say it all for me, then I check out the rest.

58. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

If I'll be able to swallow thier soul...

1. Carmen Borthwick profile image59
        Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha, you're scary and funny all at once.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)