Why do you use Google and NOT Bing?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (25 posts)
  1. ttocs profile image92
    ttocsposted 12 years ago

Too lazy to change my homepage.

2. Julester profile image36
    Julesterposted 12 years ago

Very good question! I'll try Bing for a few days, and see how I get on.

3. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

I use both on occasion - when I exhaust Google for images, I switch over to Bing. I also switch to Bing for research when the result are fluffy from Google. The Panda updates have not been perfected and when I am searching the first page options are not always what I am searching for. Lately, Google is giving me allot of UK sites which I love but with shopping season, the shipping is not feasible.

4. jcmayer777 profile image63
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I'm used to it and I don't have an issue with the results Google gives me.

1. Xenonlit profile image59
      Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

Shhh...Are you mad? Google is listening!

1. Marcy-Lipton profile image61
        Marcy-Liptonposted 12 years ago

Because google has all the traffic and the best results. where else would i go?

2. greencap profile image59
        greencapposted 12 years ago

Very difficult to challenge the position of google in search engine segment.

Microsoft has embedded bing as the default search engine in its crappy internet explorer, which itself is the default browser in windows. Even then, Bing's share is much lesser than that of google.

Every internet user in Pakistan know the word google, but i doubt if even 10% of them have ever heared the word Bing.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It works better for me, especially the scholar search.  I gave Bing a go, twice, but was not impressed.

4. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Because Google matters.  Look at your Analytics. 

Here's mine for 2011:  Google.com 1,400,144.  Bing 34,771.   Big difference.

Bing is pretty much insignificant and it's going to become even more so as Google +1's start affecting SERP.  Bing simply cannot compete.

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And for 2010 (before Panda castrated me)  it was even worse:

Google 2,276,723, Bing 35,129.   

Insignificant.

5. kannanwrites profile image93
        kannanwritesposted 12 years ago

Because Google pays for my morning tea!

6. profile image0
        melafxposted 12 years ago

I must agree with Pcunix, Google will pown everyone, until people get tired of it. So far so good! I remember my 1st usege of internet, and i used Yahoo, but where is it now? Even more Bing?

Cheers

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  Google search ran circles around Yahoo.   That's why they shot to the top and they are going to stay there.  Microsoft wants this but they are never going to get it.

For one thing, they probably run their servers on Windows.  Google uses its own Linux servers to scour the web.. and that really matters. 

For another, a lot of folks don't trust them.  They fear that Msoft will skew results to their own properties and given their past history, that's hardly ridiculous to imagine.

Msoft is on its way down the pipes anyway.  Yesterdays news, a has been company living off its past ill-gotten glory.  Google and Apple are pulling them down every day and sooner or later they will fall.

7. jcales profile image55
        jcalesposted 12 years ago

Google search gives you lots of interest based results (based on prior searches) which may not be relevant to what you want on this search. They are trying to overthink what you want; more commercial now than ever. Bing has better image search from many people I have talked to.
        Yeah, Google does own too much & tries to take away leaders:  MapQuest, iPhone, MS Office. They are too omnipresent for me.

8. profile image0
        melafxposted 12 years ago

Things like buying Youtube, is one of their "show" - Folow The Leader wink

9. OldSkoolFool profile image59
        OldSkoolFoolposted 12 years ago

Yeah, as Pcunix suggested Google has 80% higher search traffic. That means we are giving Google authority and CASH MULAH. So, they will have more effective techniques for spidering and such because of the piggy bank. I wish that us internetians did not have to submit under King Google. But the reality is that we crowned him. It's likely that most of us stay with Google because that is what we know, and we feel safe with it. Just like pappa's arms.

10. infination profile image61
        infinationposted 12 years ago

Since Microsoft/Bing partnered with Yahoo!, they have shrunk Google's search engine market share from over 80% to 65%, which means that Bing/Yahoo! now has over 30% of the search engine market.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Source?  Because mo site I run is anywhere close to that split.

11. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

For most searches, I don't use Google.  I do use Bing.  On occasion, I search using Google Scholar.

I used to use Google Images to search for photos for Hubs.  I have recently switched to Yahoo for that purpose - which I think means I have switched to Bing, but that's a bit fuzzy to me.

Why not Google?  I don't like receiving millions of garbage hits, when I really only want a few good ones; and I don't like Google's attempts to overthink my intentions, as jcales mentioned.  I do not like it, Sam-I-Am!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)