Crazy winter in the South--is this the Polar Shift?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

ATLANTA  Stranded vehicles littered roadsides at daybreak Monday as several inches of snow and sleet coated Atlanta and other parts of the South, freezing the morning commute in many areas and canceling thousands of flights at the world's busiest airport.

The winter blast rolled across the South on Sunday, coating bridges and roads with snow, sleet and freezing rain and causing at least two deaths in Louisiana. The governors of Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee declared emergencies and schools and colleges called off classes. Snow and ice had blanketed several cities, including up to 3 inches in parts of Atlanta, which rarely gets so much.

Up to nine inches of snow fell in highland parts of the South but authorities said a bigger problem was icy roads.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40989136/ns … ;GT1=43001

I watched the weather channel show snow in parts of the south that never get snow. one southern city only had 1 snow plow for the whole city..
    is this pert of the polar shift?
    hmm

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

waaaa. couldn't be nicer for better folk. better there than here. LOL at least the kids will enjoy it I bet.

3. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

We got hit hard in Arkansas as well. Measured 8 inches last night and it continued to snow. Will measure again in a bit.

I-30 in Arkansas has a 4 county stretch running sw-se where traffic is at a stand-still. Has been since last evening. Dozens of tractor trailers jack-knifed and are blocking interstate.

1. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ya know, I think it'd be a good idea for everyone in the south to live up north for at least one winter during their driving years - then there wouldn't be so much havoc when it snows a little bit...big_smile

and, I just wanted to add - be careful out there!

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

My grands are elated that they didn't have to go to school today due to the ice.

5. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I remember back in the 70s (or maybe it was the 80s) there was an ice-storm in Atlanta.  My sister said she saw parked cars sliding across parking lots, due to the ice, and causing heaps of damage.  Parked cars.

@Rafini - you have a point.  But I grew up in the Deep South and the East Coast, with very little/comparatively little snow, and I am more confident driving in it than some of the native Hoosiers I know who have lived here all of their lives.

In the North Carolina mountains, drivers who live there get impatient with the "flatlanders" who drive more slowly than the residents can.  I expect they would like for their visitors to get more practice so the slow driving wouldn't cause so much havoc (impatient drivers passing in unsafe locations, for example).

1. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

true, some natives aren't very confident in snow.  but for someone who lives in an area without much snowfall, I think it'd be a good experience.  Of course, gotta make sure you've got good tires too.  I once slid into an intersection & spun around to face the direction I just came from just because the car I was driving had No Tread on the tires!  All I did was tap the brakes - didn't know the tires were bald!!

2. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I lived in Birmingham, Al., during that ice-storm, Aficionada, and it was crazy!  I think it was during the 80's.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh wow! I was in Birmingham for a few years --- but a bit earlier than that.  I guess we missed each other.  smile

1. lorlie6 profile image73
          lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry we did miss one another!  It would be fun to actually KNOW another hubber. smile

6. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

It snowed in Ft. Lauderdale FL -that's south florida between miami and west palm- once when I was like 5. That was thirty (some) years ago. Don't believe it has since.

7. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Oh, snow in the South is definitely rare - just not entirely impossible.  Actually, PB, that snowstorm you mention may have been the same one that iced Atlanta. I wonder....

I remember when I was a child (ahem, late 50s/early 60s), I thought it was hilarious - and still do - that someone I knew had to move from Florida to Mississippi (!!) in order to see snow for the first time.  Wow, look what a few miles further north can do. LOL.

Rafini, I had a similar experience of sliding, heading down an icy incline.  I saw the car in front of me do a 180, or maybe it was a 270; then I tried to inch down the same slope and landed in someone's front yard.  That time, I couldn't blame it on bald tires, though, just on the ice. smile

8. Stacie L profile image88

yeah I grew up in the northeast and am used to feet of snow..no one thinks much about driving in it..ice is another story and i do not like to ice skate in my car! LOL
    yikes

9. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

The winter in the south is not that unusual. I remembered as a young boy seeing large snowfalls in Virginia just about every winter in the 1960s. It just been a while since the South has seen this kind of winter. Note, the geographical poles do not shift only the magnetic poles shift and the magnetic poles shift have absolutely nothing to do with the weather.

10. Stacie L profile image88

yeah I have been watching this shift news for a few years.
    heres the latest video on it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nVD4UiOFz8

1. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

StacieL, the magnetic poles are shifting and it always been shifting since the birth of the Earth due to changes in the magnum at the earth's center. The magnetic north pole use to be as far south as the equator at one point.Obviously the same thing is happening on the opposite end. Just two or three days ago the airports near the Artic circle had to change their numbers at the end of the runway to re-align them to the new location of the magnetic north pole. Thanks for the info. Note: The poles are only cold because they receive the least amount of light and heat from the sun with respect to the rest of the earth's surface.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)