jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

My Diamond Python is acting very strange, and is off his food. Please help! :)

1. RedCherry profile image51
    RedCherryposted 7 years ago

My Diamond Python is acting very strange, and is off his food. Please help! smile

I own 2 Diamond head pythons, both 1 1/2 old. & males, and had them since they were only a few months old.
    one seems to be struggling, He has no obvious signs of sickness on his body, has just shed and a small bit of scale was left on  tail. Hasn't eaten properly in weeks, we have had to buy smaller mice cos it seemed like he had trouble digesting the larger ones. Today he sueezed the mouse and ate only the insides, after trying to eat it from the tail end first. After he lay in his water bowl for hours. What do you think this could mean??

2. ddsurfsca profile image75
    ddsurfscaposted 7 years ago

I have heard that when snake shed their skin they go through a time off food and are not very active.  You might want to call a vet if it persists tho.

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 7 years ago

Whatever you do, don't release it in the Everglades, please! We have plenty of pythons loose, and eating alligators.

4. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

Are they housed together? How do you heat the tank? What are the temperatures? If it's just been a few weeks, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep a close eye on everything. Definitely make sure that the temperatures are good and everything is spot on. It's also a good idea to ensure they are housed separately.

They generally won't eat before the shed, but will typically eat afterward.

5. puebloman profile image59
    pueblomanposted 7 years ago

Soaking is often a prelude to shedding. The eyes cloud over and go clear just before the shed. Snakes don't feed prior to shedding. A healthy snake sheds a perfect whole skin. Your description of the snake "just eating the insides" of a mouse cant be true or maybe I have misunderstood. Snakes only eat whole. Snakes can go six months without food so don't jump to conclusions. The cage should be properly heated and dry, with a box (cardboard is fine) to retreat into. Stop fussing, make sure there's plenty of fresh clean water and don't offer food until the snake is ranging around the cage looking for it

working