Is it normal for your dog to follow you everywhere in the house?

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 156 discussions (196 posts)
  1. Christy Maria profile image68
    Christy Mariaposted 9 years ago

Since pets, specifically dogs are so loyal to their owners, this is very normal! Dogs especially tend to follow around the person that is at the house most often.

1. Prasath Raja profile image57
      Prasath Rajaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your post. This is excellent information.  The list of your blogs is very helpful for those who want to learn, It is amazing!!! You have been helping much application.
      www.bestseleniumtraininginchennai.in/ best selenium training in Chennai www.bestseleniumtraininginchennai.in/ best selenium

2. Bills Place profile image85
    Bills Placeposted 9 years ago

Yes this can be normal. Dogs are pack animals, meaning in the wild they "follow" a pack leader. They always pay attention to the leader of their pack, if they move they follow. It's mostly likely that he/she see's your wife as the pack leader.

There's actually a cool video I came across a while back where a guy walked 5 or 6 dogs down the sidewalk without any type of restraint. When he walked, they followed. When he stopped for traffic, they stopped, always staying right by his side or behind him.

3. lawdoctorlee profile image82
    lawdoctorleeposted 9 years ago

Yes, it is normal.  Dogs are pack animals.  I have two: a beagle and a border collie.  I trip on them all the time smile

4. profile image0
    MrDanielAbramposted 9 years ago

Yes it is completely normal. Dogs love their owners so that is why they do that.

5. Kristen Howe profile image91
    Kristen Howeposted 9 years ago

I believe it's normal. Your dog loves you and your company. Your pet also wants to protect you, too. I have two cats who follow me to the bathroom. But it's a normal showing of your pet to show love and affection.

1. Annie Wright profile image81
      Annie Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is normal for a dog to follow you, mine is in the same room with wherever I'm in house, even my feral kitten (about 6 months old), at times they almost trip me.

6. Cryslyn Blackburn profile image59
    Cryslyn Blackburnposted 9 years ago

Yes, I asked this same question it's not only my dog it's all dogs I meet they love me it's kinda strange but everyone says they can tell I have a heart for animals I'm the leader everywhere I go

7. profile image0
    Whitney Rose Woodposted 9 years ago

Yes I feel this is very normal. As you have an attachment to your pets, your pets have an attachment to you! I would be concerned if your pup was no longer following you around. For example, my dog usually wants to go everywhere with me, but lately I have noticed she doesn't as much. I found out it was because she is getting old and the getting up and down to constantly follow me, especially down the stairs, has become difficult for her. She still tries to do it anyway though as if it is her duty. I feel they think it is their duty to be by your side.
            Separation anxiety may also be a factor if the constant following is accompanied by bad behavior when you leave the house. The best you can do in that case is to not make a big deal of your leaving the house. the dog will be more anxious about you leaving if you give them lots of attention right before you leave. I know it feels counter-intuitive but the dog won't make a big deal of it if you don't. They pay close attention to the way you act.

8. Angel Van Atta profile image60
    Angel Van Attaposted 9 years ago

Yes. Your dog loves her. She is his world. It's a good thing.

9. Medusa13 profile image73
    Medusa13posted 9 years ago

I would say yes. But is it normal to also have your "puppy cat", son, and boyfriend all follow you around the house as well? LOL

10. Zodiacimmortal profile image63
    Zodiacimmortalposted 9 years ago

My Aunt Pam has a dog hat is like this. We think that it's because the dog (a Pompillion) was 3 seconds to being euthanized when my aunt saved her.

Sadly the dog is now blind and deaf so not sure if she still is doing so as much.

it can be a normal thing for a pet especially if you saved/rescued them.
    It's their Loyalty & commitment to you and one of their ways of showing you love and being your 'guard'

1. profile image51
      olivia90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see that as pretty traditional, you've got introduced your dog to your home, given it love and shelter. Please Visit us @ http://www.besanttechnologies.com/train … in-chennai

11. Jasnav profile image56
    Jasnavposted 9 years ago

Pugs are notorious followers, so guess there's no surprise when he follows us everywhere. By everywhere, it is really everywhere.
    The best comedy plays out early in the mornings, when my husband desperately tries to shake him off to go for a walk, but finally ends up giving in to his loony eyes and carrying him along with the words "after all, who does he have but us?"

12. profile image51
    stalzxoposted 9 years ago

It is completely normal. I don't believe that it is just the owner that they follow around. I am a dog sitter for many different families and most of the dogs I watch follow me everywhere. There are many different reasons for this. For instance, if I go into the kitchen at a certain house the dog expects a treat. Another dog I watch just hates being alone and will destroy the furniture if I leave. He needs to know where I am at all times. Some however do it for no particular reason. I have bonded with all of the dogs I take care of and love them like my own. It can be frustrating when the animal is old or has a hard time moving around which I have encountered. Most of the time however it makes me feel loved by them.

13. profile image52
    Ella deanposted 9 years ago

My Rottweiler is really friendly and he follows me
    He follows me and he's realy cute

In the pic he's so cute

14. LucieMatejickova profile image66
    LucieMatejickovaposted 8 years ago

It' perfectly normal. Dogs are animals tighly bound to people, especially to their master. They really need people's presence, so they hang around with their masters.

There are also dog's breed which are typical for their dependence on their masters. These breeds follow their masters everywhere. For example: Norfolk terriers have this feature.

15. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

the dog just wants a piece of her leg to eat! just kidding, she just needs to teach the dog simple commands to allow the dog to not follow her so much: take a look.
    http://petfeed.weebly.com/dogs/simple-dog-commands

16. prettynutjob30 profile image85
    prettynutjob30posted 8 years ago

My dog does the same, but he also seems to suffer from separation anxiety as well, when left alone. My dog even sticks his little paws underneath the bathroom door, when we go to the restroom. I have found it to be quite helpful, leaving him outside to play by himself every now and then. It seems to help him, be more independent and less clingy. Giving them time to play alone, teaches them how to use their natural born playful instincts.

17. profile image52
    Jeffspenposted 8 years ago

For sure it's normal. I'd be more worried if your dog stopped following you.

I used to have a cat that followed me everywhere. Even when I walked to the shop down the road! However, I used to have to tell her off, and yell at her to go home, because our street back then was really busy, and I didn't want her getting run over.

18. profile image52
    Anni wolfposted 8 years ago

This is normal! My dog follows at the feet of my mother also. She will follow her when she gets off the couch or even when she goes to the bathroom. In my opinion the dog is afraid of being alone,  or feels as if the owner will leave them.  The dog probably simply feels a connection to the human it follows.  For the Dog it  may be a knows, to follow the human and perhaps protect it.   For the human it may not seem normal only for the reason that we do not follow others around constantly.  In conclusion the dog is showing a really cares and that it will always be there for you. I hope this will help!

19. betty janet davis profile image60
    betty janet davisposted 8 years ago

Sounds so lovely; your dog is obviously devoted to your wife.  Only animals give us unconditional love, something I appreciate now that my lovely Toby (a labrador) is no longer here.

20. profile image50
    Jaranwalaposted 8 years ago

No It Is Not Normal Because They Can Approach To Your Fridge and Many  Other Useful Things

21. Shilpa Chavare profile image61
    Shilpa Chavareposted 8 years ago

Once you get home a puppy, you're its human parent. Now, imagine your kid running around you all the time, does that seem abnormal ?

22. Lola Rivers profile image57
    Lola Riversposted 8 years ago

Yes, this is perfectly normal! Dogs are a lot like children, they have such a pure love for their owner. They feel safe and secure with their parents. Also, most dogs are very protective of their owners. So, I'm sure your dog is just doing it's job and protecting your wife.

23. profile image48
    jkaliszewposted 8 years ago

One of my dogs had separation anxiety and I was able to fix this.  When I come and go I don't make a big deal of out of it; upon my return I would go and put my keys down do a few other things before putting my attention toward my dog.   It seems a bit cruel but it has worked!

24. Parhesh Kumar profile image67
    Parhesh Kumarposted 8 years ago

it probably just means that your dog loves you too much

25. Gaurav Oberoi profile image67
    Gaurav Oberoiposted 8 years ago

Not if it is doing it all the time. If this is the case, you should be concerned about the dog. Maybe its time to change its feeding schedule and considering more exercise time for the pet.

26. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
    letstalkabouteducposted 8 years ago

My dog, Domino, follows me everywhere and I love it. My sons are now teenagers and like their alone time, but Domino still loves my company. She follows me to the garage and gets in the car every time I go somewhere. She's watches what I do (e.g. putting on socks and shoes, picking up keys, getting purse) so she knows when I'm leaving. She's definitely a pack animal and does not like to be alone, except at night when she goes to bed by herself in the laundry room.

27. profile image49
    Cyndi Christopherposted 8 years ago

My dog won't let me out of his sight. Follows me even in the bathroom.

28. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

Hi dkk312. I have a chocolate Labrador. He follows me everywhere I go around the house. And I mean everywhere. He will get up off his bed if I leave the sofa and follow me to the kitchen, bedroom, even the bathroom.

29. profile image50
    rose2016posted 8 years ago

My dog is half bichon frise and also follows me around the house like the way you described above. Although this does not feel normal, i believe it must be something to do with the bond of your wife and the dog? Or it could just be the nature of the breed- As a lap dog it may be because he/she does not get the attention needed for there nature of breed. My dog is extremely simular is your wife often out of the house?  Maybe the dog is anxious and thinks she may go away at some point or maybe he/she is just trying to protect.
    hope this helps,
    Rose2016 xx

30. alekdo profile image59
    alekdoposted 8 years ago

Why do you think this is NOT normal? In my opinion, your dog's behavior is quite normal. By the way, dogs are more devoted to their masters as compared to other pets, for example. The more time you spend with them, the more devoted they are. Some dogs like their masters so much that they even sleep in one bed with them (is this normal?). If your wife is a housewife, who spends much time at home, it is quite normal for a dog to follow each step she makes. If she is always busy at work, that's quite another pair of shoes. The behavior of your dog may be the sign of the fact that the dog misses your wife a lot and needs attention and care. I don't think you have any grounds for panicking. Instead, you are lucky to have such a devoted friend! Good luck!

31. Emily40 profile image61
    Emily40posted 8 years ago

Dogs can sense things. Sometimes if you are ill or anything of that sort it, they tend to follow you around. My mom is very sick and the dog will follow her everywhere she goes and then fall asleep by her foot when she sits on the couch.

32. profile image50
    simplenotesposted 8 years ago

For me it is normal.,because dogs also have a feelings they know the person that they care of them,give foods when they are hungry..

33. KrakyePoku profile image60
    KrakyePokuposted 8 years ago

Yes, it is quite normal to have such a dog. I personally have a dog who would ho all round the house with me from my room to my gate where i may send him back off. Dogs are loyal buddies and can be very protective of their owner.

34. Capernius1 profile image59
    Capernius1posted 8 years ago

You & your wife should feel honored.
    Because canines are pack animals, they will do this when they have devoted themselves to that person or persons.
    In short, the dog loves your wife dearly, & feels totally loyal to her to the point that he wants to protect her from any & all harm 24/7/365.

So whatever you do, do not try to break him of this, because it will be an uphill battle from day one, & chances are, you will never break him of it.

Everyone should be so lucky to have a canine so devoted & loyal.

35. Katchez profile image53
    Katchezposted 8 years ago

It depends on how you teach the dog. Allow me to say that each homestead or house is different either the set up or in certain discipline principles. The first relation one yearns for with pets is give and take friendship where communication is enhanced. This is common to every person who has ever had a pet. So apart from that pets are taught how to live and so if you do not restrict them from accessing certain areas,definitely expect them to follow you anywhere when you interact them.

36. Frenchie Kisses profile image68
    Frenchie Kissesposted 8 years ago

My Frenchie follows me everywhere; I'm truly not kidding when I say he is my shadow! I have had him since he was 9 weeks old. My husband thinks the Frenchie believes I'm his mother.  I have heard of loyalty in dogs but never experienced it until him.

1. Annie Wright profile image81
      Annie Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My dog Tyke follows me in every room. I believe it is the nature of some dogs to want to be close to those they love. Through the years, I've had dogs that were not attached like that. Yes, dogs can get attached as if you are their mom.

37. roselinsojan profile image59
    roselinsojanposted 7 years ago

If we love our pets they will love &guard us.They are always loyal to their master.

38. AndreaRelli1111 profile image67
    AndreaRelli1111posted 7 years ago

Yes, my Pomeranian follows me everywhere! I have also known other dogs to do it as well.

39. alexadry profile image94
    alexadryposted 7 years ago

Is your dog's second name shadow? Or is it "Velcro dog?" Jokes aside, a dog following you everywhere in the house may be cute at first but it can soon get old  when you have to watch every step. read more

40. profile image0
    MsLowrieposted 7 years ago

Yes. Every dog that I've ever owned has done that, and it isn't just dogs. I've had cats do that as well. My one-year-old Bengal is so good at keeping an eye on me that I am convinced that he must have been a service dog in a former life.

1. Reena Raj profile image54
      Reena Rajposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting that many of the bloggers your tips helped to clarify a few things for me as well as giving..
      Web Design Company

41. Rangoon House profile image88
    Rangoon Houseposted 7 years ago

I think it's very normal and quite special. My dog follows me everywhere all day and night. She's fine when alone, but is a constant shadow when I am here. I wouldn't have it any other way!

1. profile image52
      Paul Wiltonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Right! Why are people saying it's a bad thing?
      My not-so-little 10 week old Rotti pup follows me everywhere (he's so cute) as have my previous canine mates.
      It means that they love you :  )

42. profile image53
    Penny Dennistonposted 7 years ago

My 70 lb wired haired griffon follows me around all the time.  He likes to stay close and wants to protect me.

1. profile image52
      Paul Wiltonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So why are people saying it's a bad thing? You're Griffon is just returning the love that you obviously must give him.

43. profile image52
    Paul Wiltonposted 7 years ago

My beautiful Rottweiler passed 7 years ago. He was my constant companion & followed me everywhere.
    The one drawback was that when I brought him home as an 18 month old, he often got under my feet.
    There's only one solution & that's to teach him to be aware of my movement, not the reverse.
    Without making it obvious, I'd give him a firm knock with my knee into the side of his face (firm, not hard) I'd immediately act shocked & 'rub better' while cooing my apologies. He'd look at me with affection & if he could talk I'm sure he'd say "I love you mate but you're a menace, I'll have to keep an eye on you." lol  I only had to walk into him the once.
    When I wanted him out of my way I'd say 'Beep' loudly & he'd move, or where there's room just simply say 'Heel'.
    Dogs are intelligent & willing to please. They just have to understand what it is that you want from them.

To stop dogs from sleeping & lying in inconvenient, in-the-way positions, place their bed next to you or where they can see you.
    My Rotti had 2 beds, one for the living areas & one at the foot of my bed. If pup gets in the way or is playing up I simply say "On your bed" which they know is theirs & theirs alone; a safe happy spot.

44. RainFern profile image59
    RainFernposted 7 years ago

Yes, absolutely! Your dog will follow you wherever you go!  Unless it gets sidetracked chasing a small critter. ...Like a PP said, they are pack animals. You're the Alpha, otherwise your dog just really loves you!

45. profile image0
    lindaspeaksposted 6 years ago

Yes, this is normal because my husband and I have a 8 month old German Shepard and he follows me everywhere I go. I can go to the bathroom without him sitting outside the door waiting for me to come out. I have a  hard time trying to prepare breakfast and dinner without him following me. My husband said does that because he is very protective of me.

46. Susan Sears profile image90
    Susan Searsposted 6 years ago

Dogs are pack animals. Your wife is your Bichon's pack. So it is normal for them to follow wherever their pack goes. My dog will often lay between the kitchen and living room so he can see both my husband and me. The funny thing is we have a bird that yells when he can't see us-flock animal. He is hilarious-when is cage is open he tries to walk around and find us. The dog inevitably tells on him by running back and forth between the bird and us.

47. profile image49
    Sallim kabaregaposted 6 years ago

From my perspective That's love ..ain't no other way around it

48. MandyCrow profile image60
    MandyCrowposted 6 years ago

A vet once told my family that dogs tend to bond with one person, the one who becomes their pack leader. While they may like others, there's that one special person who they love above all. And since that person is now effectively the pack leader, they follow them.

Bichons are also smaller dogs and a breed that wants to please and doesn't like to be alone—even if that means just being a different room than your wife.

49. profile image52
    Lisacalvin124posted 6 years ago

Ha ha yeah it is absolutely normal for your dog to be following your wife all the time. Mine does it too and you would not believe even if it is 2 at night or 2 in day he would even follow me if I go to pee. He is my best buddy and I love him to the core but the real reason why dogs usually follow a woman is that they get fed by woman mostly. I guess your dog must be spending a lot of time with your wife so maybe he does it out of affection for her. Dogs are perfect companions and if they follow you everywhere it means that they take you as the pack leader.  So be happy about it and enjoy the unconditional love that you are getting from your dog. Okay so once I had to go out of town for a couple of weeks and you know my dog, “Giant” is what I call him, got to know of it. He didn’t let me pack my bags and whenever I wanted to pack he used to come and sit on my stuff. I eventually took him to a dog park, gave him lots of goodies and got him a new toy and I actually sat down and promised to him that I will be back soon. Only then he allowed me to leave. I used to call my mother up everyday and she would put me on speaker phone with him and only then he would eat his food. Once i did a video call with him and he was so happy to see me through that phone that he even pounced on that phone thinking I will come out of it. The day I was to come back, my mom tells me, he sat near the door all the time and kept looking outside. Unfortunately my flight got delayed and I got really late to reach home. By the time I reached everyone was sleeping and just this little guy who occupies a gaint space in my heart somehow got to know that I am outside and immediately woke my dad and mom up. I didn’t even ring the bell and they opened the door. It was such an amazing experience. I have never left him alone since then.

50. Larry Fish profile image67
    Larry Fishposted 6 years ago

Yes, it is normal, a dog can have an amazing bond with someone. It is the love that a dog shows. My dog i often stretched out on the floor and as soon as I get up there is my little shadow, as I call her, following me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)