jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Anything I can do for a dog with an upset stomach?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

Anything I can do for a dog with an upset stomach?

My little dog wakes up occasionally with what seems to be an upset stomach....or bowel issues? He won't eat, even his treats. I took him for a walk thinking that might help his system loosen up. He was excited about the walk, but now he's back home and still won't eat. He's mopey. Usually he feels better by the evening or next morning, but I hate to see him like this. Is there anything I can do to speed up his recovery?

2. MickiS profile image83
    MickiSposted 6 years ago

My dog had similar symptoms. A visit with the vet diagnosed her as having Slow Motility--essentially, the digestive system works more slowly than usual. I don't mean to diagnose your dog from a question. I definitely recommend that you take him to see the vet to get a proper diagnosis. I only mention this so that you know I have a lot of experience with my 11-year old dog whose suffered from this since she was two.

The best thing that alleviates an upset stomach in dogs is Nori Seaweed. It's the seaweed that is used to wrap sushi. You can find it in grocery stores (often in the ethnic food section). It's totally healthy for dogs, and they love it. Feeding it to them is also consistent with their natural tendency to self-medicate by eating grass.

3. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 6 years ago

Stop by my hub on upset stomach home remedies, this is what we recommended to clients when we did not have same-day appointments and the owners often no longer needed to see us! However, I do not recommend home remedies when they are acting mopey and not eating. Often, there may be an underlying issue that needs addressed (ie parasites, pancreatitis, gastro-enteritis colitis, etc)

4. Cheds profile image81
    Chedsposted 6 years ago

Sometimes it is as simple as feeding him rice.

5. buckleupdorothy profile image85
    buckleupdorothyposted 6 years ago

A good friend of mine takes care of sick dogs - I suggested ginger for an upset stomach and apparently it worked!

6. Rosie writes profile image86
    Rosie writesposted 6 years ago

I always give my dog rice when she has an upset stomach. I remember my veterinarian telling me this years ago and I've always done it.  You can cook it with chicken or beef broth to better entice your dog to eat it.  Hope he feels better.