jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)

Is driving with your dog on the roof of your vehicle for several hours consdered

1. Joan King profile image73
    Joan Kingposted 6 years ago

Is driving with your dog on the roof of your vehicle for several hours consdered animal abuse?

How many, if any, hours  of driving with your dog on the roof would be reasonable?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6498526_f260.jpg

2. tillsontitan profile image85
    tillsontitanposted 6 years ago

I would definitely consider it animal abuse.  There is too much wind, not to mention the possibility of bugs flying into the dog's eyes and ears.  Actually, are you serious about this questions?

3. Blond Logic profile image97
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

Perhaps I am reading this incorrectly  but why would you do that? If the dog is in a kennel it would be better inside. I would think the constant noise of the wind rushing past may frighten it. Perhaps you should drug it, I have flown  with dogs from the US to Germany. They were in kennels and were drugged. There was a brief lay-over in the UK where they were checked by airport officials  and given water. When we arrived in Germany they were groggy but fine.

4. Dragonrain profile image85
    Dragonrainposted 6 years ago

I would consider it animal abuse, and feel that no amount of time driving with a dog or any other living animal on the roof would be reasonable or acceptable. 

There are way too many bad things that could happen (dog falling off the roof, getting things blown into it's eyes etc, and extreme levels of stress on the animal, to name a few).  Not to mention that it would just be downright uncomfortable and probably extremely scary for the dog.

5. Brett Winn profile image87
    Brett Winnposted 6 years ago

No sane person would do this, but Mitt Romney did ... on a twelve hour car trip that so terrified the dog that it had diarrhea that leaked down the windows ... Romney merely stopped, hosed down the dog and crate, stuffed him back in (a beautiful Irish Setter) and kept on going. This man would be President. God help us all, and I'm CONSERVATIVE! And yes, it's definitely animal abuse!

6. peterelmhirst profile image61
    peterelmhirstposted 6 years ago

Pretty surprised someone would have to ask this... Are you worried about the well being of your dog or whether you could be legally charged. For the first part, why would you bother risking it? if your dog is being tortured by wind and scared to death, you have no way of knowing it until after the damage is done. For the later, I think it would be a quick conviction.

7. clairemy profile image76
    clairemyposted 6 years ago

Who would do such a thing? It cruel and unthinkable and definatley animal abuse.

8. Joan King profile image73
    Joan Kingposted 6 years ago

Peterelmhirst the question is a general question, I am not asking it for my purpose to avoid being charged as you suggest. You must have heard that Mitt Romney did this to his dog. So it is a pertinent question since obviously Romney didn't think he did anything wrong and it is possible that many other people feel this way.  Do not assume that when questions are asked that they are personal. Questions are asked here  to generate answers that serve to inform others. There is no need to accuse the person asking the question of wrong doing.

9. GDiBiase profile image82
    GDiBiaseposted 6 years ago

If Mitt Romney did this to his dog and found it not to be animal abuse. Maybe he should have to experience the ride on top of the car for several hours. Maybe then he would have a different feeling about it!

10. afriqnet profile image50
    afriqnetposted 6 years ago

I would certainly say YES sad driving with a dog on top of the roof even for short distances seems to be torture according to my opinion.

11. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

It is definitely wrong. But if you want to be realistic, it's not much different than letting your dog hang his head out of your window. Is that abusive?
         Abusive is tying your dead grandma to the roof!  (vacation)

1. Brett Winn profile image87
      Brett Winnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

While it might be distasteful, I cannot see how tying a DEAD grandma to the roof is abusive!? She's already dead!

working