jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do we keep pets?

1. DanaTeresa profile image82
    DanaTeresaposted 5 years ago

Why do we keep pets?

I have a cat and two pet rats. I have always had at least one cat. Yesterday I got to thinking, why? What is it about cats, and about me, that I don't feel complete without my kitty?

2. Sinea Pies profile image76
    Sinea Piesposted 5 years ago

Companionship, foremost...then purpose. We are naturally caregivers and there is something about the adoration that a dog or cat brings to their master that is so endearing. I can't imagine not having a dog, or two, in my home!

3. mary615 profile image92
    mary615posted 5 years ago

Why do we keep pets?  Why do we love our pets?  This article tries to examine why I love my Miniature Schnauzer so much. read more

4. Dragonrain profile image85
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

I can't imagine ever not having a dog in my life.  I just really enjoy my dogs company.  He's part of our family and I love spending time with him and caring for him.

I think like what was already said, most people these days keep pets for companionship.  It gives them something to care for, and an nonjudgmental friend.

5. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 5 years ago

As said, companionship is top reason.  Humans need companionship, and animals fill that need! (Although people need people friends too!)

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I keep them so I'm not lonely. They keep me company and in return I feed them and give them a place to stay. They don't have to stay with me. But Shadow remains all the same.

working