jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Why do people have children?

1. TheBlondie profile image62
    TheBlondieposted 6 years ago

Why do people have children?

it costs a fortune to raise them, they are often a source of conflict for the parents....why do people continue to have children? Do they think its some sort of step you need to take after you get married?

2. crankalicious profile image93
    crankaliciousposted 6 years ago

I'll tell you why I had mine.

I had the first one because I felt that if I got to the end of my life and did not have kids, I probably would regret missing that experience.

I had the second one so that each of my children would have the experience of having a sibling and so that, hopefully, they could take care of each other and give me and my wife a break.

3. megs78 profile image62
    megs78posted 6 years ago

Generally, we are physically wired and primitively motivated to procreate.  If we weren't, we would be extinct by now.  Yes, children are expensive, but if you didn't have children, you would just spend that extra money on something else, so really, it all evens out.

Conflict is prevalent in any human relationship, and children/parent relationships can be more so only because of the deep and undying love a parent feels for their child. And being the giver and also being the recipient of such love is priceless and no conflict could make it any less so.  That's the pay-off (in the words of Dr. Phil) 

Often, people will think that having children is the next step to getting married, but more often, it is our bodies that speak to us.  Our brains, our hearts and our bodies desire to make children with the one we love and it is an incredible feeling to know that your childs veins run with the blood of you both.

Having children is worth it.

4. JayeWisdom profile image92
    JayeWisdomposted 6 years ago

I can only answer for myself, and I gave birth to my three children decades ago, before the costs of rearing them became astronomical.

I don't think it is a mandated step to take after marriage. Some couples don't desire to have children at all, and that is their right. It's preferable, I believe, for people who do not feel maternal or paternal to avoid bringing children into the world if they would not be devoted and competent parents.

As for myself (which is how I began this comment), I had a strong desire for children and loved them dearly when they were born and while bringing them up. Even though they are adults (and either middle-aged or nearing that point), I still want what is best for them, worry about them--something that doesn't automatically end once they become grownups--and feel proud of them. It wasn't that I wanted to found a "dynasty", but simply that I had a maternal urge that would not be denied. I'm glad that I had my children.

On the other hand, with the turmoil and uncertainty currently prevalent in the world, if I were a young person contemplating a family, I might hesitate. It is frightening to think what babies born in 2011 might be subjected to in the future.  Climate warming changes, wars all over the globe, economic uncertainty, rampant crime and terrorism...all these would be factored into a decision. It's a lot to take into consideration.

Makes me glad my children were born "way back then." Now I worry about the future of my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Jaye

5. kirsteno profile image58
    kirstenoposted 6 years ago

All my life I've wanted children.  I wanted to have at least 27 children.  Having children was a burning need for me. 

My husband and I had issues with infertility and were only able to have one, and the fact that he exists still baffles doctors.  Even knowing I can't have another, I still have a burning need for more...and more.....and more.

6. ravenlt04 profile image63
    ravenlt04posted 6 years ago

That's funny!  Parental disagreements about rules and discipline, etc. have been causes of conflict at times in my household, but it's worth it!  And the funds always work out. 

I love being able to look down at the little extensions of myself.  I can't lie; a part of me wanted to see what my offspring would look like, and it was fun to come up with their names.  I love knowing we are continuing our family name.  I occasionally feel that urge to have more children, and felt it when I had my 2nd child, so it must be a God-ordained purpose for my life. 

Most importantly, my husband and I hope to raise children that will make positive contributions to society.  Prayerfully, their values and goals and eventual actions will make positive changes in this world.  I do worry about my children's future with the economy and evilness in this world today. 

I love the companionship, laughs, affection, and appreciation my children offer/show me as well.  Family members teach everyone involved so many social skills and lessons.  My husband and I learn so much regularly about patience and effectively interacting with others.  My children learn the most (because of their lack of experiences) about dealing with others, different personalities and conflicts.

7. Melanie Trausch profile image60
    Melanie Trauschposted 6 years ago

I absolutely love the answer ravenlt04 gaveā€¦it pretty much sums up my feelings about why I had and thoroughly enjoy my two children.The companionship, laughs, affection, appreciation, and watching them grow and evolve into their own definitely trumps any stress or anguish that comes along with being a parent.

8. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

Well think about this.  If everyone were to stop having children, mankind would die out.  That would be a pretty big reason to reproduce.

But as far as personal reasons go, children are a blessing, no matter how troublesome they are, and it is a good feeling to have someone to depend on you.  It is a feeling that you can't understand until you have children yourself.

9. kenjen61 profile image57
    kenjen61posted 6 years ago

The Word of God tells us that, "Behold, children are a hertiage from the lord, the fruit of the womb is His reward" Psalms 127:3.

10. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

People have children for many reasons.  Such reasons may be religious; pressure from parents, friends & socieiy; to make their particular imprint; old age insurance; & simply because they want to. read more

working