What kind of an animal made this paw print?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (80 posts)
  1. TheHoleStory profile image71
    TheHoleStoryposted 8 years ago

What kind of an animal made this paw print?

After the big winter storm Jonas we discovered some strange paw prints in the snow. Do you know what kind of an animal it may belong to?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12849197_f260.jpg

2. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 8 years ago

Looks like a cat could be cougar?

Maybe or something similar.

3. tsadjatko profile image67
    tsadjatkoposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12849242_f260.jpg

There is no way to tell from just that picture. You need to know how big the print is, how it appears in the snow meaning all the tracks to determine if it is a one two,three or four footed animal, it's stride, whether it is walking or hopping or flying (look for snow angels) etc.

Without that information you can't know anything except what it is not. I'll tell you right now it's not a Velociraptor or a Tyrannosaurus Rex (actually i'd rule out all dinosaurs) It might be a chupacabra. or popobawa if there is blood around the tracks or dead bodies nearby, if not I'd rule them out.

If I was a betting man, my bet would be an Easter Bunny If the tracts demonstrate that the animal was hopping and if not but you can tell from the other tracts that it was a four legged animal walking, running and flying, then I'd bet it was a reindeer. Do you live near the north pole?

Well good luck with this guessing game, you couldn't have made it any more difficult.

1. TheHoleStory profile image71
      TheHoleStoryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I apologize TSAD for not including that information before. I did actually measure the paw print when I took the photo, and it was roughly 3 inches wide by 3 1/2 inches in length. I hope this late information is of help to everyone.

2. tsadjatko profile image67
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's a pretty big paw print, rules out elves, dwarves and fairies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7s9TZCCD4Q ). Maybe could be a hobbit tippy toeing in the snow? Look for a Halfling house nearby, or a Smial in the Shire!

4. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

Mr. TSAD has a point, You need to know how big that paw is and the photo is a little small. Also the area You found it in would help, as in was it in a Forest, or your back yard in a suburb, etc. Was it just one set of paws, or where were there more, as in a couple/group?

Well, Good Luck and if You find more, You might want to investigate in detail!

1. tsadjatko profile image67

Hey Mr. Happy!You know the more I look at it I think it's the big toe of a Sasquatch, there is a faint image of the second toe to the right. The big toe looks like it has left marks from a broke up toenail in the snow. BFs never cut their nails.

5. Ericdierker profile image48
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

It depends on where you live. Those look like "toenails" that would mean not feline but canine as feline "claws" retract. you actually have four front pads touching down and a back pad. We need a size like same photo taken with a penny. The animal has an issue with it's left front toes. You could identify the specific from there.
    This is probably a domestic dog and depending on the snow cover about a day old which makes it larger than real. So without a size reference I would guess something like a basset hound with a left minor limp. I would  go larger but that pad makes me think medium in size at a walk not a run. When you see something so fun you should look for rear foot markings. And when you take a photo always have one at a good angle not just up and down, the entry marks can explain a lot.

Nawww, Eric it's a sasquatch. The pic is only of the big toe. See this is a BF right foot in the snow, flip it and focus on the big toe, you'll see it's probably a BF. http://blogs.discovery.com/.a/6a00d8341 … 3f1970d-pi

2. Ericdierker profile image48
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nope -still a medium sized dog. You can tell by the photo that the snow has thawed a bit and then frozen which will make a 2 inch paw expand to a 3 inch paw track. Probably adds to the poor 4th imprint. This is very serious stuff ;-)

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

The Jersey Devil? I know of no animal that has 3 toes unless the poor critter lost one. And I have no idea the size of that paw print. Could it have been made by a strange human with the pole end of a snow shovel?  LOL Since you live in West Virginia, it could be the Jersey Devil - according to some prints I saw in a video about that creature, it does have trree toes - hmmm - but it has a long back toe, like a bird.. Too bad you did not put a penny next to the print before snapping the pic.

The jersey devil?Now come on that isn't even real,I've never heard of it.You should be thinking something real like dinosaurs(but I eliminated them)or Sasquatch,everybody's seen,I mean heard,I mean smelled a Sasquatch, just tune in NatGeo.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Look up Jersey Devil on the internet or on youtube. There have been several sightings of the creature for over 100 years.The footprint of Sasquatch or Big Foot is more like a large gorilla paw and some look nearly human.

3. tsadjatko profile image67

Well that's proof enough for me. hey, I found the boogey man on the internet and youtube too!  There is even a Jersey shedevil, a whole team of them, but their footprints looks like roller skates. :-)

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Pretty interesting stuff. There is one video about a woman and her son who were almost caught by what they think was the Jersey Devil. They got inside to safety. The next day strange footprints were seen on the roof in snow.

7. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

It looks to me like it has four toes on front and the left two blended together. Do you have photos of other feet? As others have said, knowing the size would help. Once I thought some tracks in the mud on some rural property we were looking at were just the tracks of a neighbor's hunting dog, but my husband and my aunt informed me that they were the tracks of a small bear. When I looked closer, sure enough, I saw the rest of the paw print.

When I look closer I see a Sasquatch.

8. possum lover profile image50
    possum loverposted 8 years ago

It's probably a big yellow dog of some sort or another.

Yes, When you zoom in 1000 times you can see the faint reflection of a yellow fur coat in the snow. Yellow snow, has to be a big yeller dog.

2. Poethepoet profile image68
      Poethepoetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Old Yeller, now that certainly makes sense.

3. TheHoleStory profile image71

Yes Old Yeller does make sense.

4. tsadjatko profile image67

BREAKING NEWS: Denver Broncos defeat Carolina Panthers, 24-10, to win Super Bowl 50 (-:as if you didn't know:-).

9. Poethepoet profile image68
    Poethepoetposted 8 years ago

It looks like it's s panther track. Ever since the Carolina Panthers devoured the Arizona Cardinals in the NFL championship game (49 - 15) panther uniforms have been seen everywhere. Those panthers shouldn't have any problem taking down a worn out middle aged broken down old bronco.

Birds are favorite prey of panthers, but I don;t know about any panthers taking down Bronos. The old Bronco has no respect for patriots nor panthers. http://www.ramsondemand.com/attachments … jpg.11951/

2. TheHoleStory profile image71

Poe those old broncos will probably be as worn out when the Super Bowl is over as those poor Krispy Kreme Doughnut workers were the Monday following a Carolina Panther win. There were untold dozens of glazed doughnuts sold for $3.99 after each win!

3. possum lover profile image50
      possum loverposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Go Carolina, Go Panthers !!!!!!!!!!

4. TheHoleStory profile image71

Go Carolina is right Possum! The Panthers are the only NFL football team that has not one, but two states. (Two States, One Team) The Panther roar will be heard across the country all the way to the Super Bowl in sunny California. Go Panthers!

5. tsadjatko profile image67

You do know just seven seasons ago, Cam Newton started off as Tim Tebow's backup at the University of Florida. Where is Tebow now?

6. possum lover profile image50

Cam took the Panthers to a 17 - 1 record this season, and in one more week it will be 18 -1 complete with a Suprrbowl ring. GO PANTHERS! OH, If It's by some chance  not a panther track in that photo, then it must be a possum track.

7. tsadjatko profile image67

Did you know possums can't get rabies. Their body temp is too low for virus to survive. I suppose if a possum was sick and running an above normal temperature then got bit by a rabid animal it could but never been a case of possum with rabies.

8. possum lover profile image50

I didn't know that TSAD about the good ole possum, but there's one thing that I do know, and that is those Panthers are going to kick some bronco but in another week.

9. tsadjatko profile image67

Coming from a possum lover that's big talk! I think they'd be better off playing dead, cause that's what they'll be. My money has to be on the old man, he'll go out on top, and then we want ever have to hear OMAHAAAA again. :-)

10. possum lover profile image50

Around these parts everyone feels totally different. It's the Carolina Panthers all the way. You can't even find any hats or shirts with the Panther's logo on them in the stores around here. The only thing a bronco's shirt is good for is changing oil

11. tsadjatko profile image67

Oil is what makes the engine go! Fig Newtons are for kids...lol Now that's the least sense I've made in 60 years.

12. TheHoleStory profile image71

I don't know exactly how or when this question about an animal paw print turned into a Superbowl discussion, but I LIKE IT! The only thing that I'm going to say is Go Panthers, and all of those old time broncos can eat Carolina's dust.

13. tsadjatko profile image67

I'll tell you why, because the Superbowl and the prospect of the Panthers losing to an old man legend, is a whole lot more interesting than a footprint of old yeller (or one of his mammalian cousins) in the snow.

14. TheHoleStory profile image71

I really like it now, Go Carolina!

15. possum lover profile image50

You are correct about that TSAD,, and at least with this Super Bowl we won"t have to worry about those cheating deflating Patriots messing everything up. Let's go Panthers let's go.

16. tsadjatko profile image67

Yeah, right on! possum lover, Bronco karma at work on Patriots. But watch out, no kitty cat is going to break a Bronco and Bronco Karma will loose on those who think so!

17. possum lover profile image50

I don't think that Cam is going to have any problems. If I remember correctly, and by the way I do, the last time that the broncos got even remotely close to the Super Bowl, Ray Lewis and the Baltimore Ravens put a sudden stop to that pipe dream.

18. tsadjatko profile image67

Broncos say Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me, they not gonna be shamed.

19. TheHoleStory profile image71

Exactly one week from today on Super Bowl Sunday the answer to who will be the next champion shall be revealed to both of you, and the rest of the world. So with this being said, GO PANTHERS !!!!!

20. possum lover profile image50

You could very possibly be my twin HoleStory with the way you are thinking - Go Carolina Panthers.

21. tsadjatko profile image67

I agree with you both, the Panthers do have to go, and they will go,

going down! http://images.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/t … web650.jpg

22. possum lover profile image50

Msybe it's a groundhog print. Since this is groundhog day they say if Phil the groundhog sees his shadow then in 6 days the Carolina Panthers will kick some bronco butt in Super Bowl 50. Oh yeah and we will have 6 more weeks of winter too.

23. tsadjatko profile image67

If you need to consult with a ground hog to pick the winner good luck.A ground hog knows he doesn't stand a chance against aPanther,but can trip aBronco up in one of his holes!He ain't rootin for noPanthers.PossumLover should know to play dead.

24. possum lover profile image50

Maybe that was a tiger track in the snow. There was recently a test done with a tiger. The tiger was given 2 remote control cars to run after with the Panthers & broncos written on them. The lion picked the Panther car to win. You can't dispute t

25. TheHoleStory profile image71

You are correct Possum there's no way anyone can dispute that scientific tiger test. This is science at it's best.

26. tsadjatko profile image67

Wait, was it a lion ....or a tiger? hmmmm I don't think that's very scientific - a tiger isn't a lion, I think you just made that up....or you've had a few too many "possums" on the rocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_v7X9tWO5s

27. TheHoleStory profile image71

I'm sure that they both picked the Panthers to win the Super Bowl. After all they are all cats, and they are all very smart. Today is Wednesday, Hump day and we will all know that the Panthers will be Super Bowl champions very soon!

28. tsadjatko profile image67

OK, OK I'll wager you . If the Broncos win you pick my answer as the "Best Answer". In return I'll stop commenting now until after the game!

29. possum lover profile image50

All cats are very smart TSAD. I didn't make that up any more then the Lincoln letter was made up in the movie The Hateful 8. If you don't believe me then you can just go and ask old Mary Todd.

30. tsadjatko profile image67

But the Lincoln letter was made up, that's your point? I didn't say you made up cats are smart, I said you made up that study. My bet is I'm right cause I saw a study that said possum lovers make things up if they don't just play dead..

31. possum lover profile image50

Okay TSAD,  just like Samual L Jackson said in the movie The Hateful 8 - "You got me." Even with that being said, and 3 days to go to the Super Bowl, I stand steady by Cam Newton & the Carolina Panthers derailing the pipe dreams of those old bron

32. tsadjatko profile image67

We'll see when Cam's proclivity to run the ball gets Bronco defense to take him out of the game by injury which is always what happens to running Qbacks. They'll have to use Derek Anderson&No former Beaver is gonna beat a Bronco. Mark my words.

33. TheHoleStory profile image71

Picking your answer as the "Best Answer" isn't very ethical. You may have a good photo with your answer, but there's a whole lot more merit that goes into this type of selection. For instance your choice for the Super Bowl winner is questionable.

34. tsadjatko profile image67

Then you''ll just have to suffer me.Questionable?There is no better leader in the NFL than Manning he’s more than talented enough to avoid turning the ball over in key moments,making smart reads&keeping his offense moving when it matters most.

35. TheHoleStory profile image71

With just 2 days to go now to Super Bowl 50, to suffer will be fine!

36. possum lover profile image50

Here, Here HoleStory, you tell all of those doomed bronco fans.

37. tsadjatko profile image67

OK prepare to suffer me When you have two receivers Thomas and Sanders who have topped1,100yards and have12combined touchdowns,it’s obvious that they’re going to play a huge role.Broncos led the league with a ridiculously impressive 52 sacks.

38. possum lover profile image50

The Panthers aren't worrying about sacks. Let's see who's going to take down a towering 250 pound Cam Newton. He will have no problem plowing through some old worn out broncos.

39. tsadjatko profile image67

possum,u r exaggerating already,cam''s 240.He'll have to run his @$$ off.TheBroncos have allowed exactly7touchdowns to opposing wide receivers over the16regular season games.Unreal to even think about! QB running is injury waiting to happen

40. TheHoleStory profile image71

With tomorrow being the big day the whole world will soon know that the Carolina Panthers are going to be the undisputed winner of Super Bow 50 !!!!!!!

41. tsadjatko profile image67
    42. possum lover profile image50

You got that right HoleStory. Let's just see what all of those bronco fans have to say after the conclusion of the Carolina Panthers winning Super Bowl 50 tomorrow night. Probably silence.

43. tsadjatko profile image67

Andif they don't, you gonna be jumpin for joy?orSILENT.Maybe you'll come back here&reread my comments&concede your enthusiasm was totally based on emotion, not the facts! They better have that ambulance ready for Cam, he's gonna need it.

44. possum lover profile image50

Oh there will surely be an ambulance there, but it will be there for the week at heart bronco fans when they get a look at the score like the Arizona Cardinal fans did in the NFL championship game.

45. tsadjatko profile image67

You really think after Cam is taken out in the first half Derek Anderson can even score a touchdown against the Broncos? (I hope you know there will never be "panthers" in North Carolina likewise the super bowl champions)

46. TheHoleStory profile image71

Finally it's February 7th 2016, and Super Bowl Sunday is upon us at last. All the theories and guesses that all of those out west might have about Super Bowl 50 will finally be put to rest. I have my lucky Carolina Panther's Pumpkin here for luck!!

47. possum lover profile image50

With just a few hours until Super Bowl 50 all of those old dusty bronco fans are soon going to see that old bronco quarterback of theirs who didn't play for the same team his career or even play this entire season, couldn't even win a puppy bowl.

48. tsadjatko profile image67

Glad to see you realize you'll need all thePPluck you can get holestory. Possum lover,with age comes wisdom&Manning,being this his last game doesn't have to worry about injuries,he'll play all out, will even risk running to gain2or3yards!

49. possum lover profile image50

You said it right TSAD, and 2 to 3 yards is exactly what they said on television that old quarterback would be lucky to run. The broncos were lucky to even make it this far this year, and they wouldn't of even made it to the puppy bowl.

50. tsadjatko profile image67

Won't it be prophetic if Manning's two - three yards wins the game? Stranger things have happened- remember Superbowl 3 (I saw it) & Joe Namath Oddsmakers had the Colts an 18-point favorite&outside of Namath,no one thought the Jets would win

51. possum lover profile image50

With just a few mere minutes to go until the kick off of Super Bowl 50, all of those bronco fans will soon feel the pain of yet another loss, but this time it will be at the hands of Cam Newton and the mighty Carolina Panthers. Go Panthers! !!!!!

52. tsadjatko profile image67

Yeah,yeah,yeah,you are backing a team with practically a rookieQBagainst a team(he never played against this season)with a legendary QB.Peyton got the better of Cam in their only previous matchup which was in Nov 2012.I hear your knees knockin

10. robie2 profile image76
    robie2posted 8 years ago

Call me crazy, but it looks like a human hand print to me :-)

When you look at the moon does it look like there is a man in the moon?

11. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

It looks like a Mountain Lion (Puma/Cougar) track.. sometimes their toe does not imprint.

See here (second print down in the first image on the page): http://pictures-of-cats.org/Mountain-Lion-Tracks.html

Bingo, could be a small mountain lion at that, but in west Virginia? But are mountain lions really real? like a Sasquatch is?

12. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
    tlmcgaa70posted 8 years ago

my guess sould be a smudged canine print.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)