Does Your Dog Communicate in a weird way

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. caninecrtitics profile image61
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

My dog almost seems to talk through growling.  He growls all the time even with out threatening with his teeth. He just growls even if he is happy.  Anyone else out their have a dog or cat like that.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Wow.... Just like my ExPartner... She growled like her brother and her brother sounds alot like your dog! hmm

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha....guess that's why it's the ex...too much growling and not enuf purrrring!

yea, my cat makes 'greeting' sounds to me when i come home...it's nice...i'll miss it...he's moving on to kitty heaven very soon i figure.

3. caninecrtitics profile image61

I very sorry for you and your kitty.  It's never easy.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks...yea i know...i hate losing a pet...i think i'll pass on getting another for a long time....will decide very soon when to 'put him down'...don't want him to suffer.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

it does seem like sometimes he is trying to talk!

especially if he's standing by the door wanting to go out, his sounds become increasingly agitated if I don't let him out right away. and then he runs to the fence and barks and wants back in. hmm

he has figured out a way to let us know exactly what he wants. sometimes it makes me laugh, his communication skills are better than some humans! lol

5. Tirzah Laughs profile image60
    Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years ago

My deaf dog talks.  She grunts, growls, snorts and whines under her breath.

She is not being aggressive.  Half the time, she's talking to herself.

Hah.

She's just a talky breed.

6. profile image53
    Nailzz20posted 13 years ago

Some dogs are vocal and talk. Talk back and see where the conversation goes LOL. It's fun !

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Got a talky dog. Reacts to eye movements and facial changes. Got a talky cat too, swear we heard her say "Mama"

7. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

No. Our dog does not communicate in a weird way. She appears to think that we are dogs too, therefore she simply relies on all the usual muttly type noises - and expects that we know exactly what she means.

We don't. We're always sulking at each other.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are a pack leader. As to sulking, peanut butter in the dog's mouth helps, as does a well placed bag on a foot or tail. Laser pointers are good too. Sulking...play with the dog.

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know - and I am. Ask Boo if ever you meet her smile

I was being a little silly. As in ... a dog's a dog. They behave, think and live like a dog. Possibly the biggest problem causer between master/dog is to forget that.

8. JayeWisdom profile image88
    JayeWisdomposted 13 years ago

My mini Schnauzer has a broad vocal range (when she's not just barking at everyone she sees in the street). My favorite is the "mumbly grumble" that she uses when she wants my attention and doesn't get it right away. Such as bedtime....Such as...right now!

Almost everything I've ever read about miniature Schnauzers calls them "talky" dogs. Just one more thing that makes them great companions. 

JayeWisdom

9. schoolmarm profile image39
    schoolmarmposted 13 years ago

One of my dogs is a Basenji mix and she makes the strangest noises! What is even crazier is that my other dogs mow mimic her so I have 3 huge dogs making grunting and howling noises!

10. Green Lotus profile image60
    Green Lotusposted 13 years ago

My brothers dog could talk on command. It was hysterical. He sounded like an old drunk.

11. caninecrtitics profile image61

So i found out a new way to get my dog to talk if I play a ringtone and it can be almost anyone he starts to whine and then he starts bark talking then howls.

12. Stephanie Henkel profile image92
    Stephanie Henkelposted 13 years ago

My son's dog, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, doesn't say much, but when you ask him if he want to go for a walk or play ball, he smiles!  I mean really smiles, with all teeth showing and tail wagging.  Silly dog.

13. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I have two yorkies, both of them characters.  One growls whenever he wants something, almost like he's whining, but he especially likes to growl when he wants to play. He'll hop up on your lap with his toy in his mouth and growl at you.  He also does this little dance on his hind legs.  He'll get up on his back legs and wave his front paws at you.

The other one yodels. He makes this strange warbling sound in the back of his throat and it sounds just like a yodel.  He also howls to music.

If my daughter plays "I like It" by Enrique Iglesias, one will howl and the other will dance on his back legs.  One of these days I'm going to youtube it.

1. tnderhrt23 profile image75
      tnderhrt23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My son and I share a Snoodle that we adopted from the pound. If he needs to go outside, and has to potty really bad, he will get behind me, jump up and push my behind with both paws repeatedly to hurry me up! I used to live in an upstairs apt where the front door was downstairs...its a good thing he is a little dog, cause his pushy self nearly sent me flying down the stairs more than once!

14. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I have a wonderful German Shepherd, who sits up straight and makes this wheezing sound in his throat, when he wants to go out.  Also, when he realizes he's going for a walk, he just goes bananas, like he's having an orgasm or something. lol  If anyone else heard this they'd think I was mistreating him..haha!
    I love him, of course!

15. lindacee profile image85
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

I have a Cairn Terrier that yodels (for lack of a better word.) She will let me know when it is time to wake up, time to eat and time for attention by making a weird sound that doesn't sound anything like a growl. It's her version of talking. I've heard the breed is prone to being very "verbal". She is no exception!

16. nikkidog profile image61
    nikkidogposted 13 years ago

Yes, when my Border Collie wants something,usually a treat, she pushes really fast on the floor with her front paws, it's hilarious, and she gets her treat.

1. profile image49
      Sword of Fireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

IF: A dog has the intelligence of a two yr old human, they understand way more than you think. They also see more in us, their "masters" than we see in ourselves. Why else have they stuck around us so long. I "whisper" to animals.

17. kblover profile image84
    kbloverposted 13 years ago

Wally sometimes pokes me with his nose when he wants me to play with him. He also growls in happiness (or perhaps more like moans of various pitches, to be more precise).

He paws me sometimes if he has to go out.

18. LiamBean profile image80
    LiamBeanposted 13 years ago

My dog, well my wife's dog, communicates in a number of odd ways.

When he's in someone's lap and being stroked he'll coo like a dove. When he's frustrated, as in play, he'll do a sustained howl, kind of a growl without the "grrr" in it, more like a sustained "ah" with his mouth open. He also snorts when he's frustrated.

He only barks if excited and that's not that often.

Then there's the silent communication. If he needs to go out he'll stare at one or the other of us for a while. If that doesn't work he'll go into the bathroom. He never goes into the bathroom for any other reason. If his water bowl is empty he does the same staring bit and again if it doesn't work he'll hop into the bathtub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)