If you have a pet, do you let them sleep in bed with you?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (54 posts)
  1. ergenzinger profile image61
    ergenzingerposted 12 years ago

If a dog, do you crate train?

1. pedrog profile image60
      pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, i like to sleep alone...

Sometimes there are thunders and my dog is very afraid of that and he cries to enter my room, and i have to let him sleep im my bed, besides this he is very independent...

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image61
      tlmcgaa70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

when my Delta was alive, i could not keep her out of my bed if i wanted to (which i didnt). sometimes if i was scolding her for growling at one of the cats in jealousy, I would make her get down on the floor. as soon as she figured I had forgotten the issue, she would slink back up onto the bed. I would give her a look that let her know if she repeated any jealous behaviour she would go right back down, and she got the hint and would not growl...at least when she thought I would not hear or see, lol. sometimes I would catch here growling at one of the cats as quielty as she could so as not to be heard by me. she was jealous for my attention, but she would never hurt any animal i took in. she was a guard dog and knew her job was to protect me and mine. for some reason all the cats adored her. so many times she would give me this look of "mom, please!" when the cats would be loving on her. i lost her this last january. ten yrs ago i helped her into the world. i laid by her side and watched her leave. i miss her. she was truly the best dog i ever had. my cats sleep with me now. they are such a comfort. they are my kids. i cant imagine life without them. i cant imagine denying them or me the joy and peace of sharing the bed. i think people miss out when they treat pets as nothing but animals. yes they are animals, but a pet should be a member of the family, no different from a child.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

As she lay there dozing next to me a voice inside my head kept saying, "Relax, you are not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients."  But another voice kept saying, "Paradigmsearch, you are a veterinarian."

1. doberdog profile image58
      doberdogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol - that's funny!

2. pedrog profile image60
      pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha good stuff.

3. VendettaVixen profile image68
    VendettaVixenposted 12 years ago

The only pet I keep indoors is my guidedog, and he isn't allowed on the furniture. Even if he was though, I probarbly wouldn't let him in my bed...

There'd be no room left for me. Plus, he's a sleep-farter.

4. doberdog profile image58
    doberdogposted 12 years ago

Yep my boy sleeps with us every night - a 5yr old dobermann. I don't want a dog for it to just lie around on  floor, my boy is part ofthefamily

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here. My 2 Great Danes sleep with me. When we're dog-sitting my grandpup, another Dane, I sleep with 3 huge furkids!

1. doberdog profile image58
        doberdogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow 3 Danes in a bed! And my missus moans about 1 dobe. She would really love a Dane one day though - one of her favourite dogs

2. profile image56
      HoneyGalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My dog sleeps with me every night.. So does my 16 yr old cat. They are family and whats mine is theirs. My pets have been in my bed all my life, wouldn't have it any other way.! Don't think I could sleep now without them curled up next to me all night.. My son has 3 boxer's and they are good size dog's, they take up most of his bed.!! LOL

5. Suhail and my dog profile image79
    Suhail and my dogposted 12 years ago

No, we will never allow that. Due to the inside temperature, our Kuvasz boy will be panting all night long, will be restless, and will turn into bbq. He likes to alternate going into our spacious garage or the backyard, maintaining a perch to observe all proceedings.

6. Enelle Lamb profile image74
    Enelle Lambposted 12 years ago

Our dog is joined at the hip with my boyfriend - everywhere he goes, she goes, so yes, she sleeps at the foot of the bed on his side - the cats take over my side LOL

7. jennzie profile image72
    jennzieposted 12 years ago

Two of my cats sleep on my bed. My dog either sleeps in the bedroom next door or on the living room couch.

The guinea pig stays in her cage. tongue

8. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

My dogs have always slept on my bed. I would find it hard to get to sleep without a dog near me! One of my cats would love to sleep on the bed too, but since he wakes me up during the night to ask for a stroke I’m afraid that I usually shut the bedroom door and leave him to sleep in the living room with the other cats.

9. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

My dogs have always slept on the bed, until they died. Our current puppy is too big to fit on the bed with my hubby and I, so she gets the whole porch to herself. Our cats have never slept in the bed because I'm allergic to them.

I miss having puppies sleep in the bed with me, they're cuddly and warm.

10. Mmargie1966 profile image85
    Mmargie1966posted 12 years ago

Yes.  I have indoor cats and they like to sleep on top of the comforter unless its cold outside.

11. iefox5 profile image58
    iefox5posted 12 years ago

I don't have a pet and it is impossible for me to sleep with dogs or cats even if I have one.

12. KevinTimothy profile image76
    KevinTimothyposted 11 years ago

Oh, no. Our dog doesn't sleep in the bed with us although she loves to sneak and snuggle in with our kids in bed. She usually sleeps in her crate unless we get one of those rare cool Florida nights and we decide to leave widows open.

13. cloverleaffarm profile image68
    cloverleaffarmposted 11 years ago

Being that we have one dog, and seven cats, we wouldn't have any bed left for us if we allowed them to sleep with us.
    Our dog sleeps where ever she feels (we have 5 bedrooms), and the cats sleep in the barn.

14. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

My Chihuahua always sleeps with us.  My Belgian shepherd sleeps at the side of my bed.

15. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Angus, our cavalier king charles dog sleep on our bed when my husband is away. Angus just stay and  sleep on our bed for a while then he transfers to his bed on the floor. Well, he´s a clean dog so I allow him to stay in my bed.

16. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

My cat is now banished from the bedroom. He tried to bite me once too many times, plus I got tired of being woken up at 5:30 every day.

17. libby1970 profile image68
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

Absolutely! My dog, a boxer, named Buster always sleeps with me. He won't sleep without me at all. He's like a child.

18. Hui (蕙) profile image60
    Hui (蕙)posted 11 years ago

I do. I used to have a dog and a cat, and they always stay in my bed. Sometimes, I did not feel like them sleeping together with me, after all, they are animals, but I was not willing to drive them away, and they would not leave either.

19. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

Two small dogs share our bed. They like to compete for attention. The biggest dog sleeps outdoors, she loves the wind. She is scared of thunder though so if it rains she stays indoors, but not on our bed.

20. Lucky Cats profile image81
    Lucky Catsposted 11 years ago

Yes, I do...they are very well mannered and as sweet as they can be.  Going to sleep to the soft purr of a companion cat or two..or three...is one of the most comforting sounds...

21. lauravan profile image60
    lauravanposted 11 years ago

We let our 12 week old kitten sleep in the bed with us because he is remarkably sweet about it. As soon as the lights go off, he snuggles up against us and goes to sleep. He doesn't fidget, or wake up in the middle of the night, or go wild and start making a racket in the early hours of the morning. If that was the case, he probably wouldn't even be sleeping in the same room as us, much less the same bed.

22. gramarye profile image61
    gramaryeposted 11 years ago

Our dogs used to get on the bed if something frightened them. Then suddenly, they realized they could just do it without being frightened. I tried hard to resist, but they were very insistent.

23. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 11 years ago

I never let my dog sleep in the bed

24. Tired Buzzard profile image59
    Tired Buzzardposted 11 years ago

My old cat used to sleep in the bed with me when he was still around. I don't let my bird sleep in my bed though, obviously.

25. TeachableMoments profile image69
    TeachableMomentsposted 11 years ago

No, my little zoo cannot fit in our bed. Our dog, cats, fish and rabbit all have their own bed. It just wouldn't work.

26. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

My dog gets in my bed for about ten minutes then gets in her basket. A bad habit though, as I'm constantly washing my bedding.

27. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Things have changed again, the cat is back sleeping with me and has been behaving himself. However, he now insists on waking me up every morning before 6 AM.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At least you don't need to set an alarm. smile

28. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Ours does.  She takes up approximately 2/3 of the bed.  My husband and I and the cat share the rest.  smile

29. glassvisage profile image83
    glassvisageposted 11 years ago

Everyone I know who has a dog or cat doesn't have a problem letting them sleep in the bed (me included). Though there may be a certain couch or other piece of furniture they may not be allowed to be near! I have a cat bed at the foot of my bed where she sleeps smile

30. chaoticpsyche profile image60
    chaoticpsycheposted 11 years ago

I have 3 dogs, two girls and one boy. We never used to let the dogs sleep in the bed. Then two years ago we adopted a rescue dog. He was diagnosed with separation anxiety. So yes, he sleeps in the bed every night. When I try to get him to sleep in the dog bed he just kind of has this dumb look on his face. He has no idea that there would be anyother place to sleep aside from our bed. And keep in mind he's a 70lb pitbull, so it's good we have a Cali King, which is not big enough when he sleeps as close as he possibly can to me.

31. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I let the cats sleep with me, but only on top of the cover. They are indoor-only. I don't want them in the sheets because they use the litter box. They are great feet warmers, though.

32. everythingdazzles profile image72
    everythingdazzlesposted 11 years ago

I totally let my babies sleep in bed with me. lol I love my cats and treat them like humans (minus the food I would never give my cats people food) they always snuggle up to me. They were both adopted and seem to need a lot of human affection. Very sweet animals.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My cats LOVE people food. I only give them poultry and some cheeses. Would never give them grains, though once my black cat licked a crevice into freshly baked chocolate brownies. He regretted it within the next hour though. Poor kitty got sick (and learned his lesson).

33. lindalou1963 profile image61
    lindalou1963posted 11 years ago

My daughter lets her dog sleep with her, but mine has her own bed in my room, off to the side so she doesn't get stepped on.

34. Peanutritious profile image59
    Peanutritiousposted 11 years ago

My cats always sleep under the covers with me. They're my little purring hot water bottles. I feel so content with them cuddled up to me and hate sleeping without them.

35. Zabbella profile image76
    Zabbellaposted 11 years ago

We have a small Jack Russell Terrier, who used to jump into bed with us, but now he likes burrowing in his own bed under a blanket.  Our cat, well, he knows when it's bedtime and treat time...gets his treats, cuddles for a bit, then sleeps in another room. BUT, he is like  clock-work...at 5:30 AM will meow, purr, pat and walk all over me for his Morning treats...even on my mornings off. (I wonder who has who trained.)

36. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I kinda went off letting animals sleep in the bed when my man spent his nights cuddling 'his' wee dog instead of me.

37. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

It's 2.45 in the morning, I went to bed at 1am. My dog, Tilly, fell asleep next to me on the bed, with her head on my shoulders and her nose stuck in my neck, she's been snoring really loudly and it honestly felt like I was wearing a Border Collie scarf. I've had to get up and come down stairs, I can't sleep because of the snoring.

38. profile image0
    HowIConqueredposted 11 years ago

I personally think it is gross and unsanitary to have an animal sleep in the bed with you. I love animals, dogs especially, I'm the type of pet owner that allows my animal to sleep in doors and sleep in my bedroom next to my bed on the floor. But unlike me, my animal is a animal not a human. My animal gets baths periodically but it does not shower or bathe on a daily basis like I do. Why would I have an animal that runs around outside and does who knows what in the grass and bushes come sleep in my bed sheets that I only wash once a week on average? I don't care if I washed my bed sheets daily and wrapped my mattress in plastic, animals are animals and humans are humans. The most I can do is allow a pet to sleep in the same house as me but that is it.

I also think being that close to animals is a cultural thing. As a black person I do not know of any other black people that allow their animals to sleep in the bed with them. I'm not trying to make this into a racial issue or condemn people who find this as okay but I tend to notice that non blacks (people of non-African decent for those of you who are sensitive of the term) are more accepting of being this close to their animals.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not culture, it's common sense.

Pets that sniff and lick at sh*t lying in the street should NOT be sharing a bed with humans.

Each to their own, all the same.

39. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Well, my four cats have all had free license to come to bed with me whenever they want for the last several years. In all that time, I have not had to visit the doctor even once, have not had any gastrointestinal, skin or other complaints, and my asthma has improved to the point that I no longer need inhalers.

Thus, my cats have not had any gross, unsanitary effects on my health. In fact, the opposite is true. Having a purring, warm ball, or several, cuddle up to me at night has resulted in me sleeping better and feeling a lot less stressed.

Maybe it is a cultural thing to let oneself be close to animals. If so, I am heartily glad to be part of my ethnic culture!

40. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years ago

My pups have slept in our beds usually when they are ill, frightened, or now in the case of our last pup, getting over the loss of his brother (we had to put our pup's younger brother to sleep last week). I am allergic to dogs as a rule, but when they are suffering, what else can I do? They do have crates and in the past, we had them sleep in crates, but eventually, we were able to allow them to sleep on the carpet by our bed. But again, out of necessity, they join us and that's okay by us.

41. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 11 years ago

oh yes, and they sleep whenever I am asleep so the rule the dogs guard the house does not really apply in my home anymore....

42. ITcoach profile image56
    ITcoachposted 11 years ago

I always want to sleep alone and pets have their own habits and can't adjust with the humans.

43. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

As much as I love my dog, he does not sleep in my bed or my bedroom.  He's a dog, he has his own bed.
    If I'm sitting watching tv, sometimes he sits with me on a leather recliner, that can be easily cleaned.

44. successdotnet profile image58
    successdotnetposted 11 years ago

I think not appropriate for a pet to sleep with us. They should be having their owns room.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)