K9keystrokes Saved My Dad's Dog's Life

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (29 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

My dad has a miniature pinscher and regularly feeds him table scraps. For years we've been telling him, "You can't feed the dog people food, you're going to kill your dog. The dog is obese."

Anyway, the other day the dog got very ill with stomach problems -- constipation and vomiting. My father took the dog to the vet and they said he was just constipated. They gave him pain medication, an iv, and some medicated dog food. The dog, Little Guy, seemed to do great. In the meantime, I came across a hub written by K9keystrokes... I didn't search for anything dog related, in particular, just stumbled across it during my daily HP routine. "10 Common People Foods that Can Kill Your Dog"
    http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/hub/Ar … r-Good-Dog

I read that foods like cheese (one of the foods my dad feeds to his dog in large amounts) causes pancreatitis.

Days later, the dog wouldn't walk, he was in a great deal of pain. He was taken to the vet again and they said he must have sprained his ankle and was given more medication. This is when I told my dad, "Hey, look into pancreatitis... it's strange that the dog all of a sudden won't walk after it was sick just a few days ago." He took the dog back to the vet and had them do blood work and sure enough the dog has pancreatitis. Little Guy is still in the hospital and it looks like he'll be just fine. If we'd continued to listen to the vet, "Oh, he's constipated, oh he sprained his ankle" who knows how the dog would be today. Instead, K9keystroke's hub made me really think about and look into pancreatitis.

My dad has finally been scared out of feeding the dog table scraps and will give his dog the correct dog food when he arrives home. He really loves his dog... probably more than us kids (jk) so he's in pieces right now, but thanks for K9keystrokes hub, everything will be alright.

A video of Little Guy taken this Spring. In this video we are showing how we can direct the dog to dig holes where we point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdx9JUQK3w

2. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Aahhhh that is a nice story and kudos to K9keystrokes! smileI wish the little guy all of the best. smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Her "10 Common People Foods that Can Kill Your Dog"  hub is one that I facebooked. It would be nice if others did the same to get the word out.

http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/hub/Ar … r-Good-Dog smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much...*blush-blush*

2. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have Facebook, but I'll definitely tweet the hub. It's the least I could do!

3. homesteadbound profile image82
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I facebooked it this morning.

4. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Wow. I am SOOO pleased that Little Guy is getting the proper care he deserves. Kudos to you for taking the extra steps to help your Dad manage the situation and insisting on added tests for his little friend. This truly warms my heart and humbles me beyond words that you credit my hub with his rescue. It is pet owners like you that make the difference. Your kind tribute makes all the work worth it. Please keep me posted on how LG is doing and when he gets released from the hospital. Wishing you all a long healthy and happy life together.

HubHugging both melbel and her dad and snuggling Little Guy of course! smile
    K9

5. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Now here is a real feel good thread, congratulations all round.

We have a house full of pets, and this warmed my heart. smile

6. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

These are the stories that make HP a great place.I am sure there are many people who have gotten help just reading another person's hub. I love happy stories and happy endings.

1. Sally's Trove profile image80
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Cardisa. This thread highlights the best of what online community means. I would never have found K9keystrokes's Hub if it were not for this thread. I have since commented on the Hub and fb'd it, too.

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Good to hear. smile

WTG K9! smile

Thanks Cags~ smile

8. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 12 years ago

What a fantastic story.  I'm going to suggest a blog post about it to Simone, so look out for an email from her.

I'm a sucker for doggie stories with happy endings.

Maddie, you are the coolest! lol

9. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

This is really great! I've found so much help here too. Awesome K9 that you were able to save the dog's life it appears!

Such a great story smile

This is a reminder to KEEP HUBBING & READING !!

10. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

How wonderful! big_smile

I've shared both K9's and habee's Hubs on what not to feed dogs with my parents, who have 2 dogs they love very much.

I agree LL, habee's hub on the subject (like all of her hubs) is awesome! Her advice regarding dogs, liver, and baby food, is NOT to be missed. smile

11. holisticpuppyfood profile image57
    holisticpuppyfoodposted 12 years ago

Wow great little story, glad little guy is ok, Just goes to show vets don't know everything, sometimes they need help too!!!

12. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

Just a wonderful story. I'm glad you found the article and kudos to you K9

smile

13. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Hitting the "like" button!  I too will be sharing it on FB!  Great job.  smile

14. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Due to a med error, Little Guy's situation worsened yesterday afternoon. (After his pancreas started to improve, he was accidentally given food... which is not to be done until a dog is stabilized. This worsened the pancreatitis and caused damage to his liver.) It was an honest error, but nonetheless we're devastated.

Instead of letting him suffer from a situation where he was unable to improve, my parents made the difficult decision to have him put to sleep. He was buried in his favorite spot along with his toys. My dad is in pieces, but hopefully, in time he will heal.

I'm sorry the story, which was originally very positive, ended this way. That said, k9keystrokes' hub is still incredibly helpful and I'm still glad we came across it. This story really stresses the importance of knowing what and what you should not feed your pets.

1. cardelean profile image86
      cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sad  So sorry...

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I'd take another dog to that vet. I am sorry to hear this. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet.

1. melbel profile image93
        melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, we are very angry about the vet's mistakes. We don't want to make waves with complaints, but instead, are just moving to another vet.

15. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

RIP Little Guy.
    Sorry for your dad's loss, Melbel.
    K9keystrokes -- well done!

Great story!

16. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

melbel, I can in no way tell you just how sorry I am for this horrific loss. Life is full of imperfections, errors, and risks; fortunately once in a while we get to share in some very deep-felt love our dog graciously and unconditionally offers up to his human companions. This in no way relieves the pain of a beloved friends absence, but it can leave us with memories that remind us of a warm k9 inspired smile.
    My thoughts, hugs, and best wishes go out to you and your family. Your difficult decision was most compassionate.

Thank you for bravely sharing your story.
    RIP Little Guy
    HubHugs~
    K9

17. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

This is such sad news, I know how awful it is to lose a dog or a cat no matter what the circumstances. I wrote a hub once called 'My Beloved Dog Died Yesterday' which expressed how I felt when our dog died. What good did come out of it was the many people who did, (and still do), voice their own experiences of pet bereavements. Hopefully some of those comments, as well as the wonderful verses like 'Rainbow Bridge' in the hub, help other bereaved owners to deal with the pain they are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

18. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

So sorry for your loss. I was there cheering through this whole hub...

19. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

What a great thread, story and result.  Definitely worth a blog post or whatever HP can do.

I'm working my way through my hubs to see if any of them have saved people's lives... not found much so far.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)