Does anyone know what this is?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 13 years ago

    Does anyone know what this is?

    It is made out of stainless steel and that is about the exact size. I have no idea what it is! Just kind of a shot in the dark posting it on here to see if anyone else knows. Bizarre little thing.

  2. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 13 years ago

    and of course the image didn't post.  Here it is

  3. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

    I think it is made of reinforced stainless steel.  I think the holes in it are made from bullets passing through the metal.  I think this view depicts it from the rear because all of the holes look like exit wounds from a human skill...exploded perimeter.  The shape leaves you wondering but I could envision two of these used in the chest plate of a bulletproof vest...the plates diminish in width as they descend toward the abdomen to allow some comfort when sitting.  Obviously, this material, by itself would not be sufficient to line the vest but could it have some supportive resistant qualities as a plate surounding a heavier metal or glass tell me! WB

  4. DaveL profile image83
    DaveLposted 13 years ago

    Some bespoke piece from a space age Lego set maybe? Or a minimalist lite version of Solitare?

  5. AngusNz profile image59
    AngusNzposted 13 years ago

    These look like practice drill holes designed for countersunk screw bolt heads,  the layout suggests that somebody was practising drilling and obtaining the correct finish for quality purposes perhaps.

  6. RocketCityWriter profile image73
    RocketCityWriterposted 13 years ago

    Lol, bullet holes...pretty clean for bullet holes smile I nearly agree with Angus on the drill holes, but I don't think they're practice. Notice that the 4 corner holes are all the same size and similarly all others are the same size as each other. This appears to be a mounting bracket for something...not sure exactly what though...Given the countersunk bolt heads would all be on the same side it appears you might be mounting two things on the back side of the object. Noting the finish, rounded edges, and odd shape I suspect this is a manufactured piece, not just something for practice.

  7. David.Reed profile image52
    David.Reedposted 13 years ago

    It looks like the armour on my motorbike boots. My Dad explained that the holes have something to do with dissipating the heat from friction.

  8. profile image52
    rampaaaposted 13 years ago

    it looks like a gusset plate.....In civil engineering, gusset plates are  used to connect any number of beams or truss members to load-bearing columns.

  9. pugmarks123 profile image61
    pugmarks123posted 13 years ago

    may be iron piece  !

    I suspect this is a manufactured piece, not just something for practice.

  10. guymclaren profile image61
    guymclarenposted 13 years ago

    Not having any dimensions anything would be a guess. looking at the shape and estimating a size of about 75 mm square, it may be a pedal for a car. but if you tell us what size it is we may be able to offer a better idea

  11. FatherOfTwo profile image56
    FatherOfTwoposted 13 years ago

    HI, probaly a long shot but I think Wayne, Angus & RocketCityWriter may all be right - I have a Hummer Door from the movie Black Hawk Down. The door has numerous bullet holes from it's scenes in the movie, they drill out the hole (Angus), mount the firing squib (RocketCityWriter), cover and paint it up, then after the squib is fired during the scene, you are left with reasonably clean uniform "Bullet Holes" (Wayne). Maybe it was a practice piece for movie squibs. I'll take a couple of photos later  and add themn(wife has been asking me to photograph it for ages, to stick on fleabay).

  12. profile image51
    Bilaltahir4posted 13 years ago

    Looks like a flood light tower that is used during sports games that are organized in night time.

  13. Dorissun profile image61
    Dorissunposted 13 years ago

    It looks like chessboard. The dark round ones may not be holes but black chesspieces. Is it right?

  14. awoodog profile image60
    awoodogposted 13 years ago

    Looks like a piece of metal used to test countersink drill bits. Or maybe used in a metal shop class to teach how to use a drill press. The bullet hole thoery I don't think is even close. That many shots the piece would be warpped abd the spacing is too accurate.

  15. profile image0
    surlyoldcatposted 13 years ago

    It's a support/gusset plate of some sort. It's specifically shaped and the holes make me thing it might have been in use for a while (judging by the width of the edges around the holes). Be interesting to find out what it truly is, and I wish you luck in getting your information.

  16. joecseko profile image63
    joecsekoposted 12 years ago

    awoodog is correct. As for anyone else that referred to a "stainless steel gusset plate"- Uh, I think NOT. Stainless has some of the worst tensile strength of any metal! The ONLY reason a stainless steel plate would be used as a gusset is for nuclear applications.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)