jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Driving down the road you see a young child and you swerve to avoid killing the

1. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

Driving down the road you see a young child and you swerve to avoid killing the kid but

there is an oncoming Mac Truck on the left and a telephone pole on the right curb. Hitting the truck - probably get killed instantly, hitting the telephone probably be crippled for the rest of your life. Or-----save yourself and run over that little kid. What would you do?

2. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Good Day ptosis

I don't think there really is a choice, is there? Only a monster would deliberately run over the child, right? Especially since the operative word is 'child.' As for choosing the mac truck or the telephone pole: I would choose the telephone pole. I always wear my seat belt, and there's a good chance one could come out of that without permanent damage at all -- but if the choice is paralysis, death, or safety in hitting the child, I would choose the paralysis of hitting the telephone pole. What else is there to do?

3. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Bye, bye, kid.  Sob, sniffle.  You are just as likely to die hitting the telephone pole.  Just sign me "monster".  Bite me.

And if you end up as a cripple, are the parents of that kid going to support and care for you?  Or do you expect to foist the results of your stupidity (crippled), onto society?

And what is the big deal about "child"?  How about if it was a hot naked chick?  Or someone's granny?  Or just some middle-aged male?  Are they lesser than a "child" (sob sniffle)?

Stupid answer, Winged.  And Ptosis, a good question only that it got me going.

4. amberjones21 profile image56
    amberjones21posted 7 years ago

I consider myself a good driver and I am very a very cautious mother of four. If I were driving and saw a child,  realistiacally I would instinctly slow the car and swerve. I would have to say that I would take my chances with the light pole.

5. keepitnatural profile image73
    keepitnaturalposted 7 years ago

Fair comments dabeaner, I'm guessing you don't have kids..?
    Truth is I'd probably do the same, but I think instinct would probably drive most people to in that split second.

6. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

Thanks! These all all great answers - debeaner's the best because he said the unpopular answer - save yourself.

But in all truth, during that split second decision - some folks will TRY to swerve to avoid the kid and then swerve again to avoid the telephone pole.

So I would probably 'nick' the kid and total the back end of my car. Trying to go through the 'eye of the needle' - like a camel!

Closed to reply

working