jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you check your own car fluids?

1. Ann810 profile image80
    Ann810posted 5 years ago

Do you check your own car fluids?

2. sassydee profile image76
    sassydeeposted 5 years ago

always and I change my oil every 3,000 miles

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image85
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

Definitely. Especially the oil and the radiator. This is particularly important if you have an older vehicle, which is more susceptible to problems. I try to emphasize this point to my 18-year-old daughter who now has a car at college. I can't be there to be checking it all the time. I had problems with my own vehicle, a 7-year-old Jeep Wrangler, last winter. I was losing antifreeze/water. First, it was the water pump. Then it was discovered the head was warped and antifreeze was going into the engine. If I hadn't been watching the situation closely, I would have been buying a new engine instead of paying for relatively minor repairs. On most vehicles, you have a reserve tank for the radiator, and you can tell by looking at that if you are losing fluid. The windshield washer fluid is important, but it's not like you are going to wreck your engine if you run out.

4. Goody5 profile image78
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I always check the fluid levels in my vehicles. It's very important to check, and keep an eye on your oil & coolant levels when the engines cold. You don't have to do it every single day, but keeping an eye on it, on a regularly basis is a good idea. Keep on hubbing  smile

5. tipstoretireearly profile image84
    tipstoretireearlyposted 5 years ago

Yes.  Checking car fluids is easy, and could prevent a large repair bill down the road.  Checking the fluids before a long trip could also prevent a very inconvenient and costly breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

working