jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Why do you think this car was totally covered with tin foil?

1. TheHoleStory profile image78
    TheHoleStoryposted 2 years ago

Why do you think this car was totally covered with tin foil?

I took this photograph one night of this tin foil covered car in a New York grocery store parking lot. We stopped and gave this particular car a double take as we were walking by. We figured it was completely covered with tin foil to either hide it's ugly paint job or possibly to stop an attempted alien abduction. Why do you think this car was totally covered with tin foil? 

2. tsadjatko profile image68
    tsadjatkoposted 2 years ago

Dude, it's not totally covered! (Doesn't look like it is covered at all)

This is what totally covered looks like and

tinfoil is a misnomer, tin foil is really aluminum foil which is recyclable, it's shiny, and it is super versatile. It can be used to clean, catch, protect, frighten, scrub, lift, soften, shape, grow, fix, sharpen, steam, attach, boost, and polish. It's the duct tape of the kitchen.

One can only guess they wanted a really hot hotrod or thought that since aluminum is the lightest of metals they'd get better gas mileage.

Notice the car in your picture looks like a Prius. The fact that a Prius owner might cover his/her car with aluminum foil makes perfect sense, as much sense as their rationalization to buy such a car. You saw it in NY? that makes perfect sense too.

But to comfort you this isn't the stupidest Q&A I'v e seen posted on Hub Pages https://s3.amazonaws.com/hark-audio/3a2 … 9c58a2.mp3

1. TheHoleStory profile image78
      TheHoleStoryposted 2 years agoin reply to this

No this particular is covered with tin foil TSAD, and it's being driven at least around town. The tin foil was attached to the vehicle with some type of adhesive, and it really looks wild close up. The gas cap door for some reason is missing.

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

TSAD, I resemble that remark. I bet my Prius gets better fuel mileage than your "whatever" does. Going from an SUV @ 15 mpg to a Prius @ 45-53 MPG sure felt good. I laugh all the way from the gas pump, and I have no desire to cover my car in foil.

3. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Maybe it was a half-assed attempt to turn a car into a Faraday cage so that the NSA couldn't hack into data signals on a cell phone! (or maybe to stop hackers taking over the engine control system!).
    See this link about alleged hacking of a Toyota Prius (Which Toyota claims is only possible by connecting to the car's diagnostic port and is not actually "hacking"): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new … Prius.html

4. Oztinato profile image71
    Oztinatoposted 2 years ago

Its obvious: to protect the owners from satellites spying on them a la tin foil hats. ☺
    This is a fun Q&A!
    Thanks for lightening the mood on HP. Don't worry about fuss pot criticism or aluminum critics.

5. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

I think your reasoning is logical. Maybe they were in the process of repainting the car and are using the foil to cover the primer until they can finish. I like Eugene Brennan's Faraday Cage idea, but I can think of several other reasons:
    1. To protect it from pigeon poop
    2. To protect from parking lot door dings
    3. The neighbor in the apt. above throws empties the chamber pot out the window. (Her sewer isn't working)
    4. They are expecting the rapture and want God to home in on them
    5. They use it for an Easy Bake oven at high noon
    Anyway, it really is a fun question. Don't mind the old sore-tails.

6. Ana Kolomeka profile image75
    Ana Kolomekaposted 2 years ago

With the lighting, it's hard to tell.  If it's covered with tin foil, they sure did an excellent job of it.
    The car in this picture is plated with 24 karat gold.  It is the ultimate status symbol, but how would you feel driving it down the street?????

1. eugbug profile image97
      eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Actually the 24 karat gold on the Delorean looks like the bronze colour they sometimes use to tint anodised aluminium windows. Maybe they did a deal with the local window fabrication company!

7. DaveOnline profile image85
    DaveOnlineposted 2 years ago

Perhaps they didn't have anything else to cover it with at the time...?

1. Poethepoet profile image75
      Poethepoetposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it was because they didn't have anything else to cover it with. I think it was someone's version of a cheap alternative to a new paint job.

8. possum lover profile image57
    possum loverposted 2 years ago

I think it was covered in tin foil to prevent aliens from reading their minds as they were driving down the road.