jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Would you accept a job for 10k less a year if you knew the work would make you h

1. alezafree profile image88
    alezafreeposted 6 years ago

Would you accept a job for 10k less a year if you knew the work would make you happier?

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

This is the sort of question that artists answer with a resounding YES!

3. Sue B. profile image97
    Sue B.posted 6 years ago

I wish I coudl say yes but, I could not afford that.
    Why limit yourself to just two choices- job with 10k more but not as rewarding versus job with 10k less that makes you happier?
    I want a job that makes me happier AND pays me 10k more!

4. Nexusx2 profile image58
    Nexusx2posted 6 years ago

I would take a job earning 10k a year! gladly this is my last semester smile

5. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

It really depends on what you want out of life. If material things are important then the scenario would probably not be a good move. If you are searching for some kind of fulfillment you may indeed be happier albeit a little poorer. Three years ago I took a position that paid me 40K less per year than I was making at the time. It was a difficult choice and to be honest there were many sleepless nights and doubts but in the end it was, for me, the right choice.
    I do, sometimes, miss the money but not to the point where I would ever consider going back.

6. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

Yes I would. Money isn't everything, and for 10K a year, I am sure I will have time to devote to other things in life.

7. Made profile image60
    Madeposted 6 years ago

Maybe I would do it in the future, but not right now.

8. Beth Pipe profile image86
    Beth Pipeposted 6 years ago

If I could afford to then yes.  At the moment I simply couldn't afford to do that but hopefully in a couple of years or so when I'm making more money from writing...

9. debbie roberts profile image82
    debbie robertsposted 6 years ago

I'd like to say yes I would, as I do think happiness is more important than money, but in todays world 10k is not enough for a family to survive on. I'd like to earn enough so as not to worry about the basic every day things. Enough for food to eat, enough to keep a roof over our head, enough to pay the bills and enough to pay for medical insurance.  So I guess the answer would be no....Unless my other half could support us and was happy with my decision too .

10. whoknowsaguy profile image59
    whoknowsaguyposted 6 years ago

I defiantly took a huge pay cut to operate my own company. I enjoy what I do. I love what I do. The funny thing is I have less stress about whether I am going to get laid off. I get paid now for the hard work I put in.

11. KDF profile image74
    KDFposted 6 years ago

Totally- and I would make sure that my hobby finds that extra 10k somewhere. It would allow me to get rid ofsome of this junk I have laying around. More garage sales, more ebay sales, I would find that extra 10k a year somewhere, that's less then 1k a year, it can be done

12. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years ago

That's what I plan on doing after I retire!