How do you react when someone steps in line in front of you at the store?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)
  1. lizyetter profile image80
    lizyetterposted 11 years ago

How do you react when someone steps in line in front of you at the store?

When I was at the store the other day, I had baby in my arms and I was struggling to pull out my wallet to pay for the pack of socks I picked out for the baby. The register next to me opened and the lady looked at me and told me she would ring me up. I walked over, placed my item on the belt,  and suddenly this boy came running over and set his items down in front of the socks. He blatantly jipped while his mother stood at another register, giving me a dirty look. I said nothing, but what gives?

2. isenhower33 profile image64
    isenhower33posted 11 years ago

I've had this happen a few times, but I just laugh at it and go about my day in a positive way smile Only thing you can do at that point.

3. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

If I have an entire grocery cart full, and they only have one or two items then I usually ask them if they would like to go ahead of me. However the world is full of rude people (The Hub Pages is no exception) like you encountered, and you really have to decide how to handle it at that moment. The easiest thing to do would have been to take your foot and swiftly kick them on their merry way. Keep on hubbing  smile

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Tell whoever it is to get to the back of the queue.

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

It happens to me a lot because (apparently) I'm not intimidating enough for people to not-dare cut in front of me.  Or maybe, because I come across like "a nice, little, 'nothing-in-particular' lady", people make the mistake of thinking I won't mind their going first. 

In any case, I get aggravated when it happens (particularly since, after an adult-lifetime's worth of people seeming to assume I won't mind, seeming not to think they're apparently more important than I am, and/or seeming to think that being aggressive and rude is the only way to get through life).

So what do I do about it?  Nothing, really - except to make faces when it happens.  If I'm with someone I'll make a face (and maybe a remark) to the person I'm with.  If I'm alone, I make make my "disgusted face" at someone nearby who noticed what happened.  If there's nobody around who saw it, or who'd see me making the disgusted face, I usually resort to evil-eying the back of the head of the guilty party (sort of hoping, I suppose, that my eyes have some kind of "melting power" that will - even if they don't really melt - make them feel squirmy.

Sometimes, a person who "cuts" doesn't really seem aware that he did it.  He just didn't notice that I was there first.  Sometimes, too, there are people like struggling elderly people who are so wrapped up in their own struggles to notice who else was in line before them.  None of that kind of thing makes me angry, and I usually kind of laugh it off.  It's when someone knows he's being aggressive and/or acts arrogant that I get angry.

I'm not the type to get in a fight with people.  It's not how I want to live my life.  Besides, those people who think I"m a good target to cut in front of are essentially right:  I don't do well in verbal confrontations because I don't do verbally well when people are unreasonable.  Neither would I do well in a physical confrontation because I'm not aggressive and nasty, so I lack "killer instinct".

BUT, if I think someone has treated me in an aggressive way and/or taken advantage of me because I'm obviously not a "killer instinct type" person and obviously unlikely to be a rude or hostile person; that makes me mad.  I'm not about to just laugh that off.  If nothing else, my "disgust face-making" and "sending of melting eye vibes" gives me the feeling that I'm at least expressing my contempt and disgust for how I've been treated.  It isn't much, but I think it's better than just happily taking it and doing nothing.

6. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

say something always. you must be a heck of a lot nicer then me, lol. i would snap on the kids mom and tell the kid to move his butt.

1. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would tell the kid's mum to keep her little brat under control.

7. Don Fairchild profile image70
    Don Fairchildposted 11 years ago

I prefer the public embarrassment technique with adults.  Most children haven't yet developed a sense of regret or a correct sense of right and wrong.
    A rather loud and persuasive statement like " THE END of the LINE is back here, thank you!  You usually get a dirty look with a mumbling diatribe of my personal being.  But you feel better knowing that one more injustice has been deferred for another day.

8. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

What gives is that the boy was rude, as are others who do this sort of thing.  However, I blame the clerk for allowing it.  She had to have seen that you were there first and should have told him to wait his turn.

Barring that,  I have been known to tell people this myself...very loudly.  I don't mind confronting and embarrassing people who are obnoxious, that's for sure.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I want to add that sometimes when people do this they can't tell whether you're actually in line.  I've seen many people who stop right in front of everybody else and leave a huge space between them and the  counter.

9. TheDailyMessenger profile image61
    TheDailyMessengerposted 11 years ago

Hey Lizyetter,

Me personally, I just ignore those kinda people. Actually, it's kinda comical how some people act but, you know, what could you do. So, I just ignore them. Hehe... their the ones that look foolish, not you.

TDM

10. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Normally I will politely ask the person that I was there first and he/she should wait for his/her turn behind. It works most of the time without any fuss.

11. soconfident profile image72
    soconfidentposted 11 years ago

Situations like it's best to let go of them, it's not worth it.

12. pmorries profile image65
    pmorriesposted 11 years ago

First of all, I would start calling my baby, in a loud voice, my precious just like Golem would. I would then say something like, "The boy does not know about manners, my Precious. Otherwise, he would not cut in front of a mother like a nasty little hobbit, my precious. Nasty little hobbits need to be punished, my precious. Yes they do." Make sure to say the above while your eye twitches.

Okay, I would do no  such thing, but I would say, " I am sorry, but I was trying to hold my baby and get my car keys when you cut in front of me," in a loud voice. I am so tired of people justifying their rudeness  or getting away with rudeness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)