jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Is it better to be a Jack or Jill of all trades, Jack or Jill of a few trades or

1. word55 profile image72
    word55posted 2 years ago

Is it better to be a Jack or Jill of all trades, Jack or Jill of a few trades or a Master of One?

Feel free to tell what you are. If you are Master of one then do or did you desire to be more than the one? Finally, What do you think in general?

2. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12537127_f260.jpg

Interesting question indeed; to me one should try to be a master of as many as possible. One must factor in however; that the presence of a stable and growing economy in a "profitable" nation it may perhaps be adequate to be a master of one or two. Although in this rapidly changing technological era most have several career changes through their working years; thus, to be prepared one should be a master of several.
    Now in an unstable/uncertain and a shrinking economy: these factors would dictate significant survival skills that would promote independence and a fix-it-yourself mentality; thus, the advantage would go to people who are master Jacks of all or at minimum many...

word55posted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's a very good answer. I've tried be Master of one but others became interesting so then I became a Jack of several and still working on Mastering one. Thanks for such great explanation.

3. profile image59
    KB3posted 2 years ago

I am a Jack of all trades (I know, it's a male term) simply because what I do know is more male specific, like building a house, or fixing a car, or even tuning instruments, but I am also becoming a master of two trades.

Now, I don't think that one person can master all trades, but it's possible to master more than just one! Knowing a little about a lot, or knowing a lot about little seems to be the mindset that people are generally in, but I have the mindset that my brain is usable to store information in and should be used to full capacity--so why not master 4-5 trades while being a Jack/Jill of them all?

That is a great comment. It makes excellent sense to use your mind to full capacity. Thanks!

4. bravewarrior profile image93
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

Interesting question, Al. I have many talents and abilities that I can and have relied on to earn a living. I think being good at just one thing would make for a boring life - and a boring person.

You go Ms. Lady, I like your spirit. Now, a doctor, nurse, policeman or other professions that a person may master as one may not be boring. I think there are advantages to all trades. A person can be the master of one trade and have more for family.

2. bravewarrior profile image93
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You have a point there, Al.  Then again, doctors can do nurses jobs, firefighters can do paramedics jobs, etc. Even policemen may find themselves delivering babies. I think the more rounded we are, the better off we'll be.

5. word55 profile image72
    word55posted 2 years ago

I agree with you Shauna, That makes very good sense.

6. sassydee profile image76
    sassydeeposted 2 years ago

I say it is good to be a jack or a jill of all trades but to be a master of getting them all done!

Hey Delilah, I love the spirit of your answer! You go go...

7. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

I have been forced to be a Jill of all trades. If I hadn't made a point of learning and adapting, I would have wound up homeless long ago.

Hummm, a Jill of all trades, I think that is great. It should have you very versatile. I love it my sister.

working