- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- HubPages, the Community
List of Hubs Written By In The Doghouse
A "copycat" is not always a bad thing!
This is Nick, our real Big Dog!
Why am I "In The Doghouse"?
For all my reader's who have wondered why I love to spend so much time "In The Doghouse", an explanation might be in order. My Doghouse is a little bit of heaven that my family and friends enjoy, filled with water, sun, and fun. Back in the day, water skiers were considered "Big Dogs" even before the clothing industry took over the title, and slogan, "If you can't ski with the Big Dogs, then stay out of the water." Hence, the Big Dogs go to play at The Doghouse.
By the way, we are really not a training location, it is simply a joke! lol
Duma The Water Skiing Dog
- Family Values
- Places To See
- Mormon Beliefs
- The Bible
- Food Facts and Fun
- "Soap Box Sermons"
- Raving Reviews
- The Family that Plays Together Stays Together -Families come in all shapes and sizes. They range from large families living on very little, to little families living with excess, and everything in between. One common thread that all families share is the process of meshing potentially great individuals into one great whole.
- Family Values Shared in A Magic Place; The Dinner Table the Hub of the Family -A Hub defining the pivotal role that the dinner table has on the communication of a family. It explores the benefits of eating together as a family unit, and spending quality time together.
- What is True Greatness? What Makes A Peron Great? -Greatness as measured by the world, is not the same as greatness in the sight of God. Explore the different standards of measurement.
- Standing For Something, Gordon B. Hinckley - A review of the New York Times Bestseller titled, Standing for Something; 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal our Hearts and Homes written by Gordon B. Hinckley, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teaches us of a divine code of ethics.
- 30 Parenting Tips, Easy Ways To Show Your Children You Love Them -Simple ways to express your love to your children, today and everyday. So get out there and share the love.
- Parenting Tips For Parents of Teens -Parenting tips for parents who are raising teens. Whether you are a single parent or two parents working together, these 18 parenting tips will help you with this job you have been given to parent.
- Your Personal GPS, Guidance Through Prayer and Scripture Study -Are you trying to figure out where you are going and the best way to get there? Make prayer and scripture study a way to chart your course.
- Modesty, An Issue For Today's Youth; Where on Earth Do you Find a Modest Prom Dress? -If you are uncertain as to the question posed, take a day and visit your local high school. Living in sunny Southern California, I am always amazed at how wearing so little clothing is acceptable as the fashion of today.
- The Gift of Charity: The Pure Love of Christ -Have you ever been the recipient of some random act of kindness? Have you ever stopped and rendered help or service to someone you didn't even know? When you are in the service of you fellow being you are in the service of your God.
Places to See
- How to Have the Best Lake Powell Vacation Ever -Lake Powell was created as a consequence of the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam, completed in 1966. With 2000 miles of shoreline it is an awesome vacation adventure on the water. Houseboat Lake Powell this summer!
- Six Must See Travel Spots In The Western United States -Information of six travel destinations across the Western United States, including: The Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion National Monument, St. George Utah, Las Vegas, and Disneyland.
- Brigham Young University Hawaii Campus, A School With The 'Ohana Spirit -Located on the north shore of the Hawaiian Island of Oahu, in the city of Laie, is the beautiful campus of Brigham Young University Hawaii. Next to the school is the Polynesian Cultural Center, a must see for anyone visiting the island.
- Four Exciting Activities Available in Perris California -Explore skydiving, race car driving, water sports, and antique trains, four exciting ways to spend some time in Perris, Riverside, California.
- Mormon Temple; The Chicago Illinois Temple -The Chicago Illinois Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is located in Glenview, a suburb located about twenty miles north of the actual city of Chicago, and sits on 13 acres of land known as "the grove."
- A Mormon's Very Basic Introduction To The Book of Mormon -The Book of Mormon is one of the "four standard works" of scripture for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It, in companionship with the bible, is a testimony of the divinity of Jesus Christ, thus it is referred to as "Another testament of Jesus Christ."
- The Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith's Vision; The Fear of Sharing Something Spiritual -I will never forget the first time I related my feelings about Joseph Smith's first vision to somebody who was not of my same faith. I must explain that this story holds such a sacred spot in my heart that it is hard to put into mere words.
- Mormon, "The Word of Wisdom"; A Code of Health -A conclusive explanation of the code of health, or rules that a member of the Mormon Church would attempt to follow.
- What Is So Different About A Mormon Funeral -Funerals are a time of hope and remembering. They are a time for a "celebration of life." They can be a gathering place for renewed friendships, shared from times past, or simply a gathering of loved ones and family to share in the love they have for each other and the deceased. This is exactly what a Mormon Funeral is all about.
- #1 BYU Cougar Fan Talks About BYU Football -Why BYU? Since 1974, BYU has played in 25 bowl games, won one national championship, and 22 conference championships. They have also earned 16 national top-25 finishes, including four top-10 finishes. BYU is home to 62 All-American honorees, the 1990 Heisman Trophy Winner, and the 2001 Doak Walker Award winner.
- Mormon Teens Get An Early Start To The Day; Early Morning Seminary Religion Class -What kind of teenager would get up every morning at 5:00 am to attend a class on religious instruction these days? I'll tell you what kind, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a Mormon.
- "America's Choir" The Mormon Tabernacle Choir; Music and the Spoken Word -I will never forget the first time I ever heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir perform live. It was more than a listening experience, you could actually feel the music. Listen here for youself.
- Gladys Knight, Lost the Pips But Gained The Saints Unified Voices -It took Gladys Knight nearly five decades to figure out the reason she was given her musical talent, but now that she has, she has "hit the floor running!"
- Why Be A Missionary? A Perspective From A Mormon Missionary's Mom -Who are the missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Why would anybody want to be a missionary? What do missionaries actually do? Answers to all these questions and more.
- "Utard", Is It Really A Word? Mormon Jokes For Mormons and Non-Mormons Alike -Utah, the "Mormon Mecca", is located in the western United States. It was the 45th state to be admitted to the union, which happened on January 4, 1896. Jokes and funny Utah video.
- 777 The Book of Seals; Understanding the Apocalyptic Book of Revelations -A review of the book "777 The Book of Seals" written by Mike Jones. It explores the symbolic meaning of the seven seals referred to in the Book of Revelations by John the Revelator.
- Faith Opposed To Fear, How To Overcome Fear (Part One) -In all human beings both conditions exist at some point or another in their life. In fact, the "wrestle" between the two probably exists on a daily basis. One might ask, what exactly is faith?
- Understanding Law And The Blessings Attached To Obedience (Part Two) -Jacob, the son of Isaac, was taught all the ways of the Lord. He understood basic gospel principles needed to make "the covenants he made with the Lord sure." He understood the principle of faith, and also understood the principle of law.
- Jacob and the Ultimate Wrestling Match (Part Three) -In the bible, we are taught the gospel through the examples of the lives of the prophets of old. One of those great prophets that we can learn many things from is the prophet Jacob. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are referred to as the "Three Patriarchs.
- A Covenant Keeping People, The Abrahamic Covenant -A covenant is an agreement between persons or nations, more often between God and man. It can sometimes be referred to as an "If... Then" condition. If you will do X, then I will do Y.
- An Answer To Prayer or Simply a Coincidence; Eliezer's Task -Have you ever had an experience where you have been guided or directed in some way to an unimagined end result and you just can't figure out exactly how it happened?
- The Poetic Scriptures: A Study of Parallelism (Part 1) -The Old Testament is a really profound book. It encompasses many different literary styles, including but not limited to that of Hebrew poetry. Hebrew poetry makes up about one-third of all the Old Testament scriptures.
- The Poetic Scriptures: Synonymous, Antithetic, and Emblemetic Parallelism (Part 2) -Part two of a four part series on poetic parallelism. In this HUB three different biblical parallelisms are discussed.
- The Poetic Scriptures: Synthetic, Composite, and Climactic Parallelisms (Part 3) -One of the forms of poetic style used in biblical writing is the use of parallelisms. In the previous HUB we explored the use of synonymous, antithetic, and emblematic parallelism, and will continue to discuss these three other forms of parallelism.
- The Poetic Scriptures: Introverted Parallelism or Chiasmus (Part 4) -In the series of parallelism discussed in the previous three HUBS, the last definitive use of parallelism to be discussed is that of introverted parallelism. This type of parallelism is often called Chiasmus.
- The Great Poet Isaiah; Prophet of the Lord -There are few poets in history that can compare with the majestic style of the prophet Isaiah. His entire book of writings can be taken as a whole and seen as one complete work of poetry, yet each verse individually can be extracted and stand alone as beautiful prose.
- Was Isaac Deceived? The Story of Jacob and Esau -Understanding the message, that all things point to Christ, the examples I observe in both the lives of Abraham and Isaac take on added spiritual symbolism for me, pointing to Christ.
- Joseph, Birthright Son of The Covenant: The Dreamer -As we study the life of Joseph, we will see the similarities with that of the life of Jacob. We can come to understand that the Lord prepares his prophets by placing them in situations that will allow growth and leadership.
- Jacob Dreamed and Saw A Ladder, Bethel, The Gate of Heaven: Genesis 28 -And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. Thus, it was the Gate of Heaven or House of God.
- The Atonement: The Greatest Love Story -Without the Birth, Atonement, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, there really wouldn't be an Easter Story. This HUB offers commentary on the events and symbols used to depict this great act of love.
- Moses, A Prophet of God -Moses, the prophet of God, became an instrument in the Lord's hands in showing the world, then and now, the power by which all mankind may be redeemed or "saved."
- Mothers In The Old Testament -The account of three biblical women, Eve, Sarah, and Rebekah, give women everywhere an example of motherhood to follow. These righteous woman learned obedience and sacrifice as they served their families and the Lord.
- Ten Plagues For Ten Gods -A look at how the ten plagues that were pronounced upon Egypt by the Lord, through Moses his prophet, correspond with the ten popular Egyptian Gods of the time.
- Biblical Women; Ruth and Naomi -Naomi and Ruth are two great women whose stories are told in the pages of the Old Testament. Naomi was of the house of Israel, and Ruth was of Moabite lineage, similar in many ways, yet their differences complimented one another in a beautifully unique way.
Food Facts and Fun
- Holiday Vegetable Casseroles; "Home Cooking" Recipes Even Paula Deen Would Love -Look out Paula Deen, I have decided to share two of my family traditional favorite holiday casserole recipes with my "HUB page family." Start your own tradition with these favorites.
- A Tradition, Mormon Funeral Potatoes -"Also called "Ward Party Potatoes," "Christmas Potatoes," "Potato Casserole" I'm sure many other names - but the most famous is Funeral Potatoes because it is often served at funerals and Church parties in the Mormon Church.
- Mormons Like Casseroles? A Mormon's Favorite Casserole Recipe, Easy Chicken and Rice -It is no joke, Mormons are wonderful cooks. Cooking is a "spiritual gift" that comes soon after they have been baptized into their church...Just kidding! An easy Chicken and Rice casserole recipe, great for a crowd.
- Guy Fieri Reviews Chicago's Famous Diner, The White Palace Grill -The White Palace Grill review, "This is it. This is the real deal. Of course, oh my, it's in the SOUTH LOOP! You can just IMAGINE what kind of people hang around there!"
- When Life Gives You Lemons, Invest In A Lemonade Stand -As with any other business venture in life, a little education on the prospect before you invest is a noteworthy endeavor. Squeezing money out of a low investment, high yielding enterprise is an art.
- When Is A Baby Not A Baby? Senseless Trivia To Clutter Your Mind -Read to find out one of the secrets of life. When is a baby not a baby? History of the Baby Ruth candy Bar.
- Gulliver's Amazing Creamed Corn -The amazing recipe for the world famous Gulliver's Creamed Corn, as published in the Los Angeles Times food section in 1970. Simply too good to pass up!
- What Can I Do With Leftover Hard Boiled Eggs? -Have the festivities of Easter left your egg-sasperated? Do you need to use up some of those hard boiled eggs? Here are two different recipes that can give you a needed change from the standard "Deviled Egg" answer.
"Soap Box Sermons"
- Britney Spears Breaking The Ice -After making a complete idiot of herself at the MTV music awards, sinking to an all time low, Britney Spears has just released an animated version of herself in her new music video called "Break the Ice."
- Rob & Big Forty Year Old Teens, Making Life Out To Be Just One "Great Big Game" - A review of the popular MTV show Rob & Big.
- The Most Elusive Card In The Deck, The Joker -Life is like a game of cards...how well you do in the end will depend on what you do with the cards you've been dealt, featuring The Joker; after all, there wouldn't be much to a Joke without the Joker, now would there?
- Flooding The Grand Canyon, Will it Make a Difference to the Imperiled Ecosystem? - A review on the flooding of the Grand Canyon through the water system in the Glen Canyon Dam. The debate rages, should Lake Powell be drained?
- "Afghan Star" The American Idol of Afghanistan Causes Cultural Conflict -Lima Sahar is voted off "Afghan Star" after making it into the final three, but her victory is really a personal one. "It's completely rejected by Islam," said Sayed-ur-Rahman Niazi, the cleric at Kabul's central mosque, "Someone who goes to listen to music is guilty of adultery. It's the same thing. And someone who enjoys it should be kicked out of Islam. He's no longer a Muslim."
- Pride, One Of The Seven Deadly Sins -Find out some of the issues involved as we deal with "pride" in our lives. Learning to detect "pride" in ourselves can be the key to practicing the virtue of "humility" on a more consistent basis.
- Bankruptcy: When Aloha Really Doesn't Mean Aloha -ATA, Aloha Airlines and next Champion Airlines, filing bankruptcy. What does this really all mean? The "Big Guy" sticks it to the "Little Guy" once again.
- FAA Grandstanding Or A Safety Issue; MD-80 Airplanes Frounded For Inspection- After American Airlines cancelled 500 more flights Tuesday, April 8, for the second time in two weeks, the public is wondering what is going on in the aircraft industry. Which airlines ranked high in the Airline Quality Report for 2008.
- The New Delta, Merging With Northwest Airlines Makes It The World's Largest Carrier- Northwest Airlines and Delta have announced a merger between the two companies, making two airlines into one,a mega-airline. The new airline will retain the name of Delta, but will now be a contender in the international airline marketplace.
- 2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, More Bling For Your Buck -Producing cars since 1902, Cadillac is an automotive manufacturer that produces cars known for engineering, luxury, style and firsts. Now in 2009 Cadillac introduces the first luxury hybrid SUV in the Escalade.
- The Wizard of Westwood, The Legend, Author of "The Pyramid of Success", But Mostly UCLA Coach; John Wooden -In the game of basketball and in the "game of life" John Wooden has proven to be a legend. His winning spirit and exhibition of high values shows that his "12 Lessons in Leadership" and "Pyramid of Success" are simply his way of life, and that is what a legend is made of.
- Papa Bear, George Halas; A Football Legend and Humanitarian -George Stanley Halas was termed "Mr. Everything" when it came to professional football. He founded the Chicago Staleys, who were later renamed the Chicago Bears. He coached the Bears for 40 seasons.
- Fun Toilet Gadgets -With the knowlege that we have been given that, the average American spends over three years of his or her life on a toilet seat, it is not surprising that toilet technology is all the rage.
- Unique Showerheads and Other Bathroom Gadgets -Gadgets for more than those who wish to be "legends in their own showers." Bathroom items.
- The Legendary Musical Group Chicago; Still Alive and Kickin' -It's Saturday in the park, does anybody really know what time it is? It's only the beginning, I just want to celebrate. Colour my world with love, make me smile.
- My Number One, All Time Favorite Joke: Airline Humor - My favorite joke, and the reasons that it is my favorite.
- Five Good Reasons To Wear A Hat -With hats all the rage today, this HUB offers five good reasons to "throw you hat into the ring" and cover your head! Lots of great hat resources.
- A Review of Three Computer Programs For Genealogy or Family History -A review of three computer programs that can aid in the search and recording of your family history information. These programs include, Legacy, PAF, and Family Tree Maker.
- Bandu, Blokus, Skybridge, and Other Games; What are some of your favorite games to play at a party or social event? -Every Sunday, I have a group of young people over for dinner and socialization. They range in age from 18 to 30 years old, and depending on the week, I have anywhere from 25 to 40 people in attendance. They come to play games!
- The Tale of Three Trees, A Story of Love -A review of the book, The Tale of Three Trees, as retold by Angela Elwell Hunt, and how it relates to the meaning of the Easter story.
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch: For Mothers of Any Age- Robert Munsch has written a beautiful book that pays tribute to Mother's of all ages. This would be the perfect gift for any mother.
- The 10 Best Children's Books About Pigs; Funny Bedtime Stories- Reading time is one of the best uses of time you can choose to spend with your children. A review of 10 humorous stories to read with your children involving the help of some darling "Pigs" as their main characters.
- Spousal Abuse;Book "Not Another Sarah" by Sarah E. Southerland -Not just another story about spousal abuse, the book "Not Another Sarah", by Sarah E. Southerland is an eye opening account of the first hand experiences of a survivor of serious spousal abuse. A book that everyone must read.
- VW Bugs, "Green" Machines By Volkswagen -Originally made to be "green" the VW Bug is still popular for the same reasons today. Great vintage VW Bug commercials and information for Bug collectors.
- 35 Quotes From Warren Buffett On Success and Finance -Warren Buffett, 72 year old, self made billionaire with a net worth of over $62.0 billion and climbing, who was announced by Forbes as the richest man in the world for 2008, gives 35 tips on finance.
- Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Billionaire? -Yesterday as Forbes announced the new top Billionaires of the World for 2008, some questions came to my mind, so I thought I would ask my HUB friends what they thought. Give us some of your thoughts on Billionaires.
- No Irish Need Apply; A St. Patrick's Day Tribute To My Irish Ancestors From a True Plastic Paddy -One of the great mysteries in my past will be that of my second great grandfather, Patrick Murphy. Lost, among the many Irish souls that came before me, he has remained.
- Irish Ancestry and the Effects of Alcoholism -The Irish were famous for their Pubs and alcohol. The effects of drinking were ones that the whole family unit suffered. The lasting demons of the drink are hard to erase, but it can be done.
- The Invention of the Water Ski Gloves Or How To Get A Grip -Water skiing is a popular sport that is both challenging and exhilarating. Having the right equipment can make all the difference in the world. Water Ski gloves are an essential part of that equipment, but how did they come to exsist?
- Don't Be A Chicken, Get Up and Dance -Is not knowing how to do the fine art of dance keeping you from the dance floor? Here are three dances even a chicken can do.
- www.ownwhatyouthink Antithesis to "Juicy Campus" -The internet is a powerful tool. When it is used in positive ways it is something that improves the quality of life and gives added help to individuals in their quest for knowledge and growth. However,...
- Is It Time To Find A New Hobby? - Looking for a way to spend your free time? New and exciting ideas for finding a Hobby you can enjoy!