FIXED: Pinterest Blocking pins

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (81 posts)
  1. galleryofgrace profile image71
    galleryofgraceposted 11 years ago

Pinterest message says it cannot accept pins from thsiswebsite- what happened? I never had trouble before!

1. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tried a pin it and this is the message I got. That's all we need on here more problems.

Sorry!
      We've blocked this source because it may be spam or other inappropriate content.

Back to Pinterest ยท More Info

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just had trouble putting some pics on Pinterest too. I think people who say Pinterest is bringing them so much traffic are making it up.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It must be a new thing. I have about 45,000 pins on my hubs and Pinterest is my second highest traffic source.

2. kaiyan717 profile image84
          kaiyan717posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been pinned 99k on a cheesecake rcipe, not making it up.  I am crushed we lost pinterest, highest traffic source, well back to the drawing board.

2. moonlake profile image82

They have blocked us from putting anything on and have blocked anyone trying to come to our hubs. My traffic will drop again.
      I think we need to stop trying to figure this out ourselves and need some help from HubPages to find out what is going on. They're the ones that put the pin it on for us to use.
      It is pretty bad to be dropped by Pinterest.

3. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have also been refused by FB several times lately. It was only from the link at the top of the page when the hub is published. The sidebar link works ok.sometimes.
      Doesn't matter because I'll go to FB and do it anyway.

4. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess it overwhelmed their site. Xomba does the same things with some sites.

5. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is indeed an issue that we are working on.
      This is, unfortunately, something that Pinterest has changed on their end.
      We are working with them to hopefully find a solution.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I just experienced this Pinterest phenomenon for the first time this morning ... pretty frickin' lame. I wasn't getting a ton of traffic from Pinterest anyway but it's still irritating!!

Are the HP Powers that Be going to try and smooth things over with the Pinterest peeps or are we completely screwed?

3. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 11 years ago

Ran into that this morning.
    There's another thread here...
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/104620

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Perhaps a natural consequence of being over-doing the self-promotion.

1. sergs_pogi profile image57
      sergs_pogiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you are right. I had this same problem this morning.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This.

There are several other websites which have blocked HubPages in the past because people were purely using the site to promote their own Hubs and not using the service as it was intended.

5. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Once again the spammers are ruining it for the rest of us. sad

6. denisemai profile image67
    denisemaiposted 11 years ago

I think that there may be some people on this site who pin pictures on Pinterest with labels that have nothing to do with what the article is about. That's just my opinion as I have seen a couple of those on there. That probably put all of us in the doghouse. If that's the case, we all have our sub-domains, Pinterest should address individual users and not the group as a whole. But, then again, I'm just guessing here. The message says it has blocked this site for either inappropriate content, SPAM, or misleading content. It just seems the last one would be most likely. Hopefully, the HP staff can work it out with the Pinterest staff. (I just noticed the other day that HP has its own boards on Pinterest.)

1. midget38 profile image86
      midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, it looks really dramatic. True, they should address the individual pin they think is inappropriate and not ban the whole group. Perhaps the user who may be misusing Pinterest. Let's hope they work it out.

2. mmorpglover profile image69
      mmorpgloverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess they just got tired of the spammers so we all have to suffer.

7. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 11 years ago

I am so sorry about this!  I got some decent traffic from Pinterest.  I tried pinning this AM, and was disappointed  it wouldn't work.

8. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

The inevitable endgame of HubPage's promoting a social network.  I never used pinterest but the few times someone else put my stuff on there it got a nice little bit of traffic for a few days.  Don't overpromote your own work, people can tell and will ignore it.

1. mary615 profile image82
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just Pinned Hubs that I thought were outstanding!  Not so much my own.  When I published a new Hub, I did pin that one.

9. Shelly McRae profile image68
    Shelly McRaeposted 11 years ago

Hubpages puts your hubs to sleep if they don't get enough traffic. So you use the social buttons on your hubs to attract enough traffic to keep your hubs from being put down. But then you get penalized -the site gets penalized- for contributors promoting their hubs.

Yea. This is working out real well.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The world's full of SEO Gurus.... HP stated that they took advice from them on Pinterest and the 'Idle' (sandboxed) hub regime... isn't it a pity that this world is so full of (BS) Gurus that know what's best (for themselves!)??  roll

How Sad...
      what a great negative example of 'expert' business relationship building!  sad

10. Good Guy profile image84
    Good Guyposted 11 years ago

I just started pinning a few days ago after realizing that my hubs have been pinned by others.  That was the time that I started reading what Pinterest was all about, and started pinning for a few days, until today, I face the same problem.

11. Sunshine625 profile image85
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

Excellent point Shelly!

12. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Wow yikes does HP have somebody committing 'negative seo' ? sad hmm

Do they need to have 'somebody' to achieve that DS? sad

13. psycheskinner profile image83

Using Pinterest solely for self-promotion is in itself negative SEO. They want people who add at least as much value to their service as they receive. Stumbleupon and others have similar responses to being flooded.

It is unfortunate because I saw nice traffic from people I don;t know pinning my hubs, presumably out of personal interest.

14. denisemai profile image67
    denisemaiposted 11 years ago

Honestly, Pinterest hasn't been a mega supplier of readers for me. In 8 months of publishing, I've received a total of 109 hits. Google is the place I stress about the most. That's where the real traffic is generated. But still. It's irritating to not be able to share things on Pinterest.

Pinterest is a site that has the ability to endorse your profile and online reputation/value WITH Google merely by treating your relationship with them as one of value and authority...  I don't think you have considered the overall value of that point in regard to your HP endeavors!  Look at the whole picture.

1. denisemai profile image67
        denisemaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Pinterest is "a" site but not the only one, thankfully. That's looking at the whole picture. Still, I'm disappointed in them because many of us use the site exactly as intended but are being blocked. I'm going to see if it gets sorted out and if it doesn't, I'll do what I do with any company that stops providing a valuable product: I'll take my business elsewhere.

2. Natashalh profile image73
      Natashalhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've received over 1200 hits from Pinterest, so I'm pretty unhappy right now!

Well exactly... though I guess with 1200 'hits' you're feeling a bit spanked by this! smile

15. Dame Scribe profile image57

I agree with PD yikes Pinterest was in one of my top 5 referrers sad and now, we go to the spam file? that's awful. Hope it gets cleared up asap.

16. MomsTreasureChest profile image83
    MomsTreasureChestposted 11 years ago

Just tried about 10 minutes ago, no luck either...

17. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

There's a lesson about social networking abuse here.  Reddit bans HP.  Pinterest now bans HP.  Self promotion is specifically ruled out in the Pinterest terms, although of course we all ignored it.

Trouble is, it takes a lot of waiting to be discovered...

1. Horatio Plot profile image75
      Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha! Your right. It's not Internet efficient, all that hanging around, waiting...

18. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

This might be premature, but: another Social Bookmarking Service bites the dust...

The TOS of most are very explicit on sharing {linking}. I think it goes without saying Pinterest, like many others, prefer 10 links from 250 million sites versus getting 25 million links from one domain. Even though Pinterest has a higher threshold of links and boards, they do not want 100,000 links and 30 boards from the same source per account.

If not mistaken, two years ago, when I first joined HP, discovered a handful of prime social bookmarking sites that had already banned HP domain. And sub domains are still considered apart of the parent domain when links are parsed.
    Maybe, HP should establish SB limits on pins, tweets, etc to avoid this in the future? Just my crazy idea.

James.

19. psycheskinner profile image83

My personal guidelines is 6-10 recommendations from real interest for every one from self-interest.  This generally works out pretty well.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have also pinned very cautiously and infrequently, but my guess is that there are many hubbers who go overboard to the point of spamming or borderline spamming. I pin my own stuff here and there, but prefer to let others who are genuinely interested in the content pin my hubs, so that readership grows organically. BTW, I was not hit at all by the recent panda/penguin episode. Coincidence?

1. sergs_pogi profile image57
        sergs_pogiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, you did so well. I can take part of the blame, having limited knowledge of how the service should be used. I think I have used Pinterest for just two days, though. I've read a lot about it and even watched Youtube videos, but I was wrong all along.

20. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

OK, well I just took the Pinterest link off my profile, no point in a useless link.

Next job is to weed out my Pins and leave only quality that point to my own website.

No point in hanging around.

Thanks for showing us your new buns though!  smile

21. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

I pin things of personal interest and am very disappointed in this rather high handed approach.  I am also concerned that over the past few days my readership has declined by 2/3rds. Is there a connection?   I am a writer sharing information, not a spammer.

22. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

Blogspot people self-promote all the time. I checked out some and they have not been blocked and they have pinned everything that their blog contains. I believe something else is going on. I don't know what it is but I don't think it's because our hubs are on pinterest or that anyone put to many on.

1. sabrebIade profile image81
      sabrebIadeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This

Squidoo and Blogger are both clear to post on Pinterest but not HP.
      Why?

2. kaiyan717 profile image84

I read the terms and self-promotion is allowed, but it does refer you to their Etiquette.  Maybe it was people going overboard, not sure but saddened none the less.

23. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

I just had someone from Pinterest visit my hub.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7251221_f248.jpg

24. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 11 years ago

lol....is anyone pinterested?!!!

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Having never had a single visit from Pinterest, I'm not!

1. waynet profile image67
        waynetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Neither am I....Hubber Pinterest spam is the cause and Hp actually telling them to do it...ah well...it happened with A few other social bookmarking sites that are open to abuse, but to ban whole sites if they are the abusers....it's just one thing after another it seems!

25. profile image0

I have written tp pinterest and asked them directly.  If you are not interested then no need to post or follow this thread:-)

1. waynet profile image67
      waynetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok Boss!

26. justateacher profile image84
    justateacherposted 11 years ago

Do you have your profile set to block pins? I just found out we have that option...

27. profile image0

....Pinterest sent an email stating the list of their terms and I cannot see that posting topics of boards from hub pages contravenes them - unless of course people are posting the same hub on other peoples boards over and over again.  I have responded and asked for more clarification.  Checked my settings and pinterest is not blocked.

I don't think we can pin to other people's boards only to our own.

1. Natashalh profile image73
        Natashalhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the settings - you may choose to allow other people to spam your boards. When I was new and naive, I left a couple of my boards open for about two days before I figured that out! I had to go through and delete some irritating spam posts.

That's how much I know about Pinterest! I didn't know that, thanks.
          I knew I had some pretty good visits from Pinterest and on some of my hubs but I was shocked at how much my views dropped yesterday.

2. denisemai profile image67
          denisemaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really, Natasha? I didn't know that either! I'll have to check my boards. I truly hate spammers. I run into them all the time on Twitter. @denise--you would be interested in these pictures or that business or getting an iPad for free. Or--the always irritating link to who knows what. Probably a big old virus. Sheesh. People have too much time on their hands.

3. moonlake profile image82

It's funny you mention that because I just checked my boards. I don't have them open for anyone else to post but I did find a pin that was not mine. When I clicked it took me to a page selling phones. It was on my baking board. I don't know how they put it on.

4. profile image0
          Lizam1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can someone help me find the instructions for this so no-one else can pin on my boards  please and thank you.

28. Froggy213 profile image61
    Froggy213posted 11 years ago

I wonder if Hubpages admin has spoke with Pinterest--I see there has been no statement from any of them. I sure am glad I started authoring books. I used to make decent money here, but it went away.

They replied on this thread here a few times....

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/104620

I know it's hard to find cause you gotta dig through all the religious and political posts on the forum to find anything that actually has to do with HubPages anymore.

1. Marketing Merit profile image94
        Marketing Meritposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Was thinking exactly the same myself Sabreblade!

The forum layout could do with an overhaul. At the moment, the first thing you see is ALL of the latest posts, from ALL of the sub-forums. I would prefer to see the main sub forums located there 'above the fold.'

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
          Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the main reason you folks rarely see me here anymore.  HP will post or reply to a forum thread and it is lost in all the BS threads that are posted here.  Plus, with all the changes and stuff, my views continue to decline.  I am like the readership from outside of HP... I rarely come here anymore.

That's exactly how this community has been able to be fragmented and changed Dale...
            However Orwellian things may appear... Make the effort.. there are lots of us in the same boat as you are... and we are just as important as the newly processed and favored crews mate!  Don't bow to the things that are clearly below your ethical standards... sad

29. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 11 years ago

BTW...it appears the ban has been lifted.

1. Froggy213 profile image61
      Froggy213posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes it has.

30. kaiyan717 profile image84
    kaiyan717posted 11 years ago

I just pinned and it went through....anyone else able?  I personallycontact them as I am sure others did, so maybe they reconsidered or Hubpages sweet talked them?
    I took down my boards in protest, so I am happy to start over!  Traffic is already going back up!  Happy Dance!

1. WannaB Writer profile image87
      WannaB Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was happy to see that the pin I tested yesterday is no longer blocked. I'm glad I didn't remove any of the hubs I had pinned. I figured Pinterest and HubPages would resolve this, so I gave them a day to get it done before taking drastic measures.

31. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Yup, it looks like Pinterest and HP have kissed and made up. Yay!

32. profile image0

It is fixed and according to my email from pinterest it was all an error.  Not sure if contacting them directly did the trick but I was impressed how efficiently and quickly they responded to my questions.

33. kaiyan717 profile image84
    kaiyan717posted 11 years ago

People shouldn't be able to post on your boards, the never have mine.  They can repin your article onto their boards though.  I have not heard of others posting on another's board.

They can only post on your boards if you invite them

2. midget38 profile image86
      midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Simone and Paul from HP actually mailed and asked them to lift the ban and just make it specific to the person who is spamming.

34. Dame Scribe profile image57

I'm glad to hear the latest updates smile awesome! I usually go through other boards, check out followers and follow back, repin, for a few minutes then off to something else tongue weekend is coming up though, awesome! smile  pssst! these new forums look strange tongue lol

35. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

All of mine are working again and I tried a pin and it went through so at least for my sub domain it is working. Traffic is back also so I know it's working again. Thanks to Hub Pages Staff. I appreciate you.

1. kaiyan717 profile image84

Yes, thank you hub pages staff!

36. profile image0
    SirDentposted 11 years ago

I just pinned a photo from one of my hubs successfully.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

they fixed the problem a few days ago.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)