FIXED: Link capsule title from "test Link" for title w/ '

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. BlossomSB profile image80
    BlossomSBposted 11 years ago

If I add a link at the bottom of a hub and the title has an apostrophe 's', it comes out like this:

Poem: A Stay-at-Home Mum's Quiet Day

Is this how the readers see such titles? If so, what can I do so that it makes sense, please?

1. Alastar Packer profile image69
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Blossom it makes sense to me as it is?

1. Michael-Milec profile image61
        Michael-Milecposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Only other choice would be without apostrophe  " Mumas " ; we the readers would be happy either way, is my guess.
        ( where's the poem please?)

1. Alastar Packer profile image69
          Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Will the links tool accept apostrophes, can't remember if it will or not. Mumas? That's cool but never heard it used before.

2. BlossomSB profile image80
        BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It does make sense as it has shown up here, but every time I use an apostrophe in a link it shows up on the hub like this:
        A Stay-at-Home Mum's Quiet Day

I just typed it up the way it appears with the & # 0 3 9 : s and when I pressed 'submit' it jumped to show the title correctly. I've now put a space between each to show what I get instead of the apostrophe and I hope it will show up this time.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70
          Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that is not how you would like the link to show?
          Do you have the title or URL for the Hub about which you are speaking?

It should have been, e.g.:  A Stay-at-Home Mum's Quiet Day, but each time it comes up as A Stay-at-Home Mum & # 0 3 9 ; s Quiet Day instead of the apostrophe (without the space between each character). It has come up that way in any titles that has an apostrophe. However, thanks to Howard S's comments (see below) I know how to fix it - it will take quite a while! I'm still mystified as to why no one else seems to have had this problem.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70

Glad to hear you got it working.
              But it sounds like you had to copy formatted HTML from a text capsule to a link capsule, though.  Is that the case?  If so, I will send this to our engineering team so they can address the issue.

I think I may be missing some key info as I just tried to post both a link in a text capsule and in a link capsule with an apostrophe in the linked text and it worked for me.

Here is the test Hub I built:
                http://matthewmeyer.hubpages.com/hub/Te … ie-capsule

Here is what I put for the link capsule:

Link URL:
                http://Google.com

Link Title:
                Poem: A Stay-at-Home Mum's Quiet Day

I want to confirm some things:
                1. Is the issue related to the URL you are using?
                2. Is the issue related to the link capsule and not the text capsule?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
                  Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just did it and it happened to me.  I opened an unpublished hub - Tell Your Story.  Added a link capsule and added the url to this hub:

http://millionairetips.hubpages.com/hub … ee-Cereals

The title has an apostrophe in it, but the code shows up instead of the apostrophe.
                  "List of Gluten Free Cereals by Kellogg's, General Mills and Other Companies"

Yes, the problem only happens in links capsule, because in the text capsules we provide our own words.  In the links capsule, we let the field autopopulate.

I think I finally understand the exact issue.

It isn't related to you entering a title with an apostrophe and is changing it, but related to the title that results from clicking "Test Link" for a Hub that has an apostrophe in the title.

I will send this to our engineering team to be addressed.

In the meantime, you can manually edit the link title in a link capsule.

So for this URL:

The resulting title from "Test Link" is:

Until this is fixed, you can manually change the title to

I think I finally understand the exact issue.

It isn't related to you entering a title with an apostrophe and is changing it, but related to the title that results from clicking "Test Link" for a Hub that has an apostrophe in the title.

I will send this to our engineering team to be addressed.

In the meantime, you can manually edit the link title in a link capsule.

So for this URL:

The resulting title from "Test Link" is:

Until this is fixed, you can manually change the title to

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91

This happens to me every time I add a link via the links capsule to a hub or article that uses apostrophe.  For some reason it uses the code instead of the apostrophe.  I am able to fix it by editing it, but it would be nice for it to work right the first time.

Ah, so the issue is with URLs that have an apostrophe?

Does anyone have an example of such a URL?

No in this case it is the title that has the apostrophe. The problem is happening in the title field.

I am not sure what would happen if the URL would have one.  It probably wouldn't matter, because the system should be able to find it either way (?).

I just looked through my hubs and none of them have apostrophes in the URL.  Apparently the start a new hub tool that creates the URL takes them out.  The problem is with the way it pulls up the title.

@BlossomSB The way you see links in the Hubtool should be how users see them as well.  Did that answer your question?  Let us know if you need further assistance.

3. Chi Hai Nguyen profile image57
      Chi Hai Nguyenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thank you blossom sb sàn gỗ tự nhiên

4. Mark Painter profile image60
      Mark Painterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The conversion of apostrophe to an html encoded form was I problem in our software.  I believe it is now fixed.

5. Matthew Meyer profile image70

As Mark stated, this issue should now be fixed.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

This is just a shot in the dark, but I wonder if Australian custom and US custom are the same when it comes to apostrophe placement? I have no idea, but I thought I would bring up the possibility so as prevent possible miscommunication.smile

3. JohnMello profile image85
    JohnMelloposted 11 years ago

Hi Blossom

The way it looks already makes sense - a quiet day of a stay-at-home mum. I'd say leave it like it is smile

4. chasmac profile image89
    chasmacposted 11 years ago

I don't understand the problem. Has it come out different to what you expected? What do you think is wrong with it? It looks fine to me - and it's the correct use of an apostrophe. What am I missing?

1. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think I might be missing something to- looks fine as is!

5. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

What you wrote looks good to me. I know that there have been times the apostrophe wasn't accepted and then it would be mums-day but that's alright too because the poem is what counts and if one can understand the title then no prob.

6. Howard S. profile image87
    Howard S.posted 11 years ago

The problem is that Blossom SB used the Links Capsule, which does not accept apostrophes. When she types the question here, we don't see her problem. The solution is to copy the contents of the Links Capsule and paste it into a Text Capsule.

There are two other differences in moving from Links to Text Capsules. One is that Text adds to hub word count; Links doesn't. This is usually desirable.

The other is that Links update dynamically when the summary of the linked article is updated. Texts do not update dynamically, but allow you to insert your own summary (and title) for the article, which can often be worded better than the original.

========================

Post script: After testing, this seems only partially true. The problem seems to be with the pasting action, but can be corrected by editing. An apostrophe worked in Links summary, but required editing in the title of a linked hub. I may have seen this in Text Capsules as well, but don't recall the specifics. I know I was able to correct by editing within the capsule so, there again, it probably had to do with pasting. I generally draft in Microsoft Word before pasting into capsules

Thank you. I'll try that - hope it works as it really looks strange the way it is.

7. Howard S. profile image87

@Matthew Meyer: For an example, see the first capsule in my unpublished sandbox hub http://howards.hubpages.com/hub/Hubs-on. In that links capsule, the url looks fine, but the title that is auto-generated requires editing to replace the hexa-octal whatever code with legible punctuation. This is most evident with the links capsule open and attempting to add a url where the title contains an apostrophe.

I will do some research so I can send this to our engineering team.
      Are there other capsules that have seen the same issue?

8. Howard S. profile image87

@Matthew, it does not affect text capsules or Amazon capsules. I did not test further. If I have seen it elsewhere in the past, it was perhaps on RSS or News--now irrelevant.

9. Howard S. profile image87

@Matthew: Your example does not illustrate the problem. Use a url with an apostrophe. I gave an example awhile ago (you have access to my unpublished hubs, right?) This is what the capsule in that hub looks like:
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7625036_f248.jpg
    Er, not sure why it's not displaying here.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7625065_f248.jpg

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)